Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

tonelok posted:

Rowling is going to be on Oprah tomorrow, and she's going to talk about the future of HP books. Some of you might find it interesting.

Oh my god i need to see this :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

She's going to remaster them in 3D

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

She's going to announce a revamped version of the third book where the Time Turner is never introduced and the problems are resolved in a different way so she never has to hear about that again.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Harry's friends and the whole magical world only existed in his head as an escapist fantasy brought on by his abusive upbringing. Rowling is writing an eighth book where he gets the help he needs and starts to rehabilitate into society.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Harry's friends and the whole magical world only existed in his head as an escapist fantasy brought on by his abusive upbringing. Rowling is writing an eighth book where he gets the help he needs and starts to rehabilitate into society.

I've actually read fanfiction similar to this. They're eerie. :(

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

bitterandtwisted posted:

If this were the case I'd still loving read it.

Edit: I'm totally calling a series based around the Marauder's and the rise of Voldemort.

Edit2: Damnit! Oh well. It was a wonderful interview. :unsmith:

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 1, 2010

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

tonelok posted:

Rowling is going to be on Oprah tomorrow, and she's going to talk about the future of HP books. Some of you might find it interesting.

'I'm pretty sure I won't write more books, but maybe I might. I dunno.'

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/10/01/more.harry.potter.ppl/

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
My niece sent me this as well:

http://www.mugglenet.com/jkr/interviews/jkr_oprah.shtml

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Honestly, I fully expect to see a non-Harry spinoff. Like something about Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs and their adventures at Hogwarts with Snape and everyone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I kind of hope she sticks to her guns and just leaves it where it is.

The story is done, she certainly doesn't need the money, and it would cheapen the series as it is to expand upon it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IRQ posted:

The story is done, she certainly doesn't need the money, and it would cheapen the series as it is to expand upon it.

The only thing I want her to write in the Harry Potter universe is the encyclopedia. After that she should just leave it alone and go onto something else.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

IRQ posted:

I dunno, they do have a Harry Potter theme park now...

You're right though, I don't think she's greedy but I do think she might be so in love with the world she created that she won't be able to resist picking at it some more down the line.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'd read a short series about Voldemort's rise to power and the adventures of James, Sirius, Snape, etc. but I do hope that she sticks to her guns and only releases the encyclopedia.

And yeah it would never be about the money. Assuming she didn't have enough already, she still will get royalties from two more movies which are sure to gross somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.5 billion combined.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
How was her last book, The Tales of Beedle the Bard? Worth picking up? I hated the two textbooks, for what it's worth.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ben Davis posted:

How was her last book, The Tales of Beedle the Bard? Worth picking up? I hated the two textbooks, for what it's worth.

Eh, I liked it. The notes from Dumbledore are awesome and are the main point in buying the book. Seriously, they're 60% of the text anyway. Gives a lot of world-building about wizard society.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Never read the Harry Potter wiki. They take everything Warner Bros and Electronic Arts has done as absolute canon along with the books. Example:

horrible aspergerers posted:

The Queen's Handbag is the title given to a three-minute filmed Harry Potter skit produced for Children's Party at the Palace, a production mounted in 2006 to celebrate the 80th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II. The skit starred Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint and Matthew Lewis in their familiar Harry Potter roles, and was filmed during production of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Throughout Children's Party at the Palace, an ongoing storyline involved various characters trying to find the Queen's missing purse.

Assuming this mini-adventure is in any way canonical, it's difficult to place it in the current timeline. For one thing, the eightieth birthday celebrations occurred in 2006, more than a decade after the events featured in the then-current Potter films (unless in the Harry Potter universe, the Queen turned eighty in the 1990s).

Bolded for emphasis.

Edit: and the article about the king from the short story Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump is probably longer than the short story Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump.

Edit 2: this must be shared.

:gonk:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 2, 2010

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just finished the Prince's Tale. Oh god :cry:

"After all this time?"
"Always."

The most heartbreaking five words of dialogue ever written.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

"After all this time?"
"Always."

Such a great chapter. Heck, everything after they reach Hogwarts is pure gold.

"I sometimes think we sort too soon." :(

RocketDarkness fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 4, 2010

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

RocketDarkness posted:

Such a great chapter. Heck, everything after they reach Hogwarts is pure gold.

"I sometimes think we sort too soon." :(

Considering I mentioned how it was kinda bullshit that kids were judged and placed pre-puberty before I read the last book, that line made me love Dumbledore all the more.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

"After all this time?"
"Always."

"Mark Reads Harry Potter" is going to absolutely flip his poo poo at this chapter. Calling it now.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

"After all this time?"
"Always."

That and it was Snape who Petunia overheard talking about the Dementors really surprised me

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I really hope that after the encyclopedia comes out, she opens up the universe to EU stuff.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to ever mention the canon characters-there is just so much that can be done with the universe as it is that would be amazing. A story of a small-time death eater, and how he got roped into the dark and seedy world with promises of power and friendship.

Hell, a story about an American wizard, or an Aussie one, or anywhere else, really, using the framework of magic that Rowling already set up.

I mean, yeah, there's fanfic, but since 90% of it is Harry and either Draco or Snape falling in love, I'd rather not have to slog through all that to find the few gems of people who just really love the potterverse and the awesome framework already laid out to use it as a jumping-off point for their own stories.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

AA is for Quitters posted:

I really hope that after the encyclopedia comes out, she opens up the universe to EU stuff.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to ever mention the canon characters-there is just so much that can be done with the universe as it is that would be amazing. A story of a small-time death eater, and how he got roped into the dark and seedy world with promises of power and friendship.

Hell, a story about an American wizard, or an Aussie one, or anywhere else, really, using the framework of magic that Rowling already set up.

I mean, yeah, there's fanfic, but since 90% of it is Harry and either Draco or Snape falling in love, I'd rather not have to slog through all that to find the few gems of people who just really love the potterverse and the awesome framework already laid out to use it as a jumping-off point for their own stories.
This is exactly what HP does not need and has never needed.

Edit: VVV Gaze upon Thrawn's post and realize he is right.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 6, 2010

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AA is for Quitters posted:

Try to ignore my username and avatar when I say this, but all you need to do is look at the Star Wars EU to see if that's a good idea. (It's not) Countless books, and maybe ten of them were worthwhile (and most of those were very early on). You can say there's no need to mention the canon characters, but that's just not what happens. The books with Harry will sell better than the books with new characters, so that's all the publishers will be interested in. This exact thing happened in Star Wars, where the books are decades after the movies, and old Luke, Han, and Leia are still the center of every story.

Books written by anyone other than Rowling should not happen.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

thrawn527 posted:

Try to ignore my username and avatar when I say this, but all you need to do is look at the Star Wars EU to see if that's a good idea. (It's not) Countless books, and maybe ten of them were worthwhile (and most of those were very early on). You can say there's no need to mention the canon characters, but that's just not what happens. The books with Harry will sell better than the books with new characters, so that's all the publishers will be interested in. This exact thing happened in Star Wars, where the books are decades after the movies, and old Luke, Han, and Leia are still the center of every story.

Books written by anyone other than Rowling should not happen.

In the first book, Hagrid is killed by a moon to show how serious they are.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

GigaPeon posted:

In the first book, Hagrid is killed by a moon to show how serious they are.

Then one of Ron and Hermione's kids will kill Ginny in order to make their first Horcrux and become a dark Wizard.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Basically Thrawn's Starwars EU thread covers pretty much everything awful about EU. I'm not going to deny there's some good in it, but there's a fuckton more bad than you'll ever want.

Knowing HP's fanbase, how do you think an EU for HP is going to go? I don't want to give people like Cassandra Claire an excuse to keep publishing.

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008
I both desire and deeply fear a Harry Potter EU. EUs rarely (never?) work out well in any capacity, but dammit, it's such an engaging world that I'm almost willing to take that risk. You'd need a rigorous acceptance process for each piece of content, though.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

At best I could see Rowling allowing other authors to write novellas and publish the collection to raise money for charity or something.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

RocketDarkness posted:

I both desire and deeply fear a Harry Potter EU. EUs rarely (never?) work out well in any capacity, but dammit, it's such an engaging world that I'm almost willing to take that risk. You'd need a rigorous acceptance process for each piece of content, though.

The Star Wars EU was completely controlled by the editors working at Lucasbooks or whatever they call it. They decided who wrote what, and what each book was supposed to be about. But it was a cluster gently caress none the less. A better idea would be for Rowling to appoint a successor who she trusted to keep that from happening. It's worked pretty well with the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died. But even with a strong vetting process your options are limited. Most good authors want to write their own books. Therefore most authors willing to do syndicated stuff are not the best. You won't have a bunch of people to chose from. Basically I can see someone directly handpicked by Rowling continuing the books, but aside from that it had better be Rowling herself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

caleramaen posted:

The Star Wars EU was completely controlled by the editors working at Lucasbooks or whatever they call it. They decided who wrote what, and what each book was supposed to be about. But it was a cluster gently caress none the less. A better idea would be for Rowling to appoint a successor who she trusted to keep that from happening. It's worked pretty well with the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died. But even with a strong vetting process your options are limited. Most good authors want to write their own books. Therefore most authors willing to do syndicated stuff are not the best. You won't have a bunch of people to chose from. Basically I can see someone directly handpicked by Rowling continuing the books, but aside from that it had better be Rowling herself.

Or you can get situations like what happened to Dune.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Wheel of Time is pretty much a perfect storm of everything going right. The author had years to prepare for the handover and had been amassing careful notes for a decade; his wife and manager of the estate had been his editor for the entire series and so knew intimately what he wanted with the handover; they lucked into a one in a thousand writer for the handover, who was good enough to do the job but not so famous already that he'd refuse it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tonelok posted:

Remastering them to include Jar Jar Binks?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Wheel of Time is pretty much a perfect storm of everything going right. The author had years to prepare for the handover and had been amassing careful notes for a decade; his wife and manager of the estate had been his editor for the entire series and so knew intimately what he wanted with the handover; they lucked into a one in a thousand writer for the handover, who was good enough to do the job but not so famous already that he'd refuse it.

And let's not forget was also a huge fan and not about to go "This is dumb" and do his own poo poo

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 6, 2010

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

RocketDarkness posted:

There is the 1632 series with its collaborative fanfiction that has been physically published and not just online:

quote:

Fans are encouraged to contribute to the series though an online message board known as Baen's Bar. The entire Grantville Gazette and large portions of the Ring of Fire anthology, both of which are considered canonical, are paid, fan-written (albeit edited by Flint) works, and have directly contributed material to the main novels. The author also worked with other established authors to develop new stories and plot lines for further novels which are also published in the two Ring of Fire anthologies.

quote:

The Grantville Gazettes are a series of short stories in the collaborative fiction experiment, which started life as an online serialized magazine with an inconsistent and sporadic publication history. After the death of Jim Baen and with the publication of Grantville Gazette X by Baen Books, the last under contract with Baen, the Gazettes were again reconstituted as a subscription e-zine, now published regularly at six per year (bi-monthly) and paying above standard rates for submissions. They are a "boiler room" powering the collaborative synergy by the people involved with the 1632 Tech Manual and have developed into a repository for new ideas and themes in the series, although most explore the personal experiences of minor characters in the series or examine in depth some aspect (e.g. a multi-part serial explores and details Grantville's impact on public health in general, and the establishment of twin teaching hospitals as a joint project of the University of Jena and Grantville's new hospital, the Lahey Clinic.) In general, the anthologies in the series depict deep background canonical to future tales, but which are not in the main stream "action" of the novels focus. A group of stories have on several occasions produced a new plot thread.
That is very tightly controlled though by the publisher/author. They are willing to allow the fans to participate, and even pay the fans, and even allow it to become canon, but the percentage of fanfiction that ended up being used and that became canon was probably pretty minuscule compared to what was available.

It can work - it frees up the author(s) to do other stuff while helping flesh things out and generating new material. On the other hand, it's almost a misnomer to consider it fanfiction or EU because in this instance there isn't an official EU. It's either canon or it's not, and if it's canon, it's not exactly fanfiction, at least not what most of us consider fanfiction.

It's probably not even fair to compare the 1632 stuff to anything else. For one thing, there was a lot of interaction with fans from the beginning, with the authors and others going back and forth with them over ideas. For another, some of the fan-writtern material came from people who were unofficial consultants to the authors. A lot of these weren't just some random person picked from fanfiction.net, they were experts in their field that had discussed some of the technical or social aspects directly with the authors and had contributed to a lot of the discussions over a period of years.

e: Rowling never had that kind of relationship with the fans, and there is no way in hell she could build that relationship now.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 7, 2010

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

caleramaen posted:

It's worked pretty well with the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan died.

I don't see at all how that is relevant. The Wheel of Time is an unfinished series and Jordan prepared for another to finish it because he was about to die. Harry Potter is a complete story. And if I remember correctly one reason she added the epilogue was to keep people from writing about the kids after her story ended. They already have their futures settled.

I can see how a real life version of Hogwarts: An History, or Marauders: The Adventures of Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs could be good and interesting, but it could also just suck. And if Rowling opened up her world to other authors it would most definitely turn to poo poo because it would be about nothing more than money.

My thoughts on it are that she said, when book 7 was finished, that she was done with HP. She told the story she wanted to tell, and after that she wanted to move on. She hasn't done that. Why would she go back to the HP world at this point unless she has no other ideas?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Chaglby posted:

And if I remember correctly one reason she added the epilogue was to keep people from writing about the kids after her story ended. They already have their futures settled.

Yes I know, I know! He marries Ginny! They live happily ever after! There is literally no way to move forward from this point!

I know it seems impossible
We've been thrown off our track
But if we can't move forward
Why shouldn't we move back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OepW-AG-Ris

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Chaglby posted:

I don't see at all how that is relevant. The Wheel of Time is an unfinished series and Jordan prepared for another to finish it because he was about to die. Harry Potter is a complete story. And if I remember correctly one reason she added the epilogue was to keep people from writing about the kids after her story ended. They already have their futures settled.

I'm not saying it's a good idea for Rowling to pick a successor to write more Harry Potter books, I'm just saying it's slightly less likely that it would suck if she did so. I am not in favor of any new Harry Potter books being written at all. But if they do get written then only someone who understands the series intimately should be allowed to write it, preferably Rowling herself.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys remember that scene in the books where they're lions?

Because I don't :confused:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

Hey guys remember that scene in the books where they're lions?

Because I don't :confused:

I don't have the wherewithal to dig up the fanart of Snape as a pregnant naga, but after than I'm not really surprised at Harry Potter fanart anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I don't have the wherewithal to dig up the fanart of Snape as a pregnant naga, but after than I'm not really surprised at Harry Potter fanart anymore.

Maybe you could check the Snape Mpreg Archive.

• Locked thread