Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

texaholic posted:

My rankings of the NFL divisions based on the rivalry factor:

1. NFC East
2. AFC East

smaller gap

3. NFC North
4. AFC West
5. AFC North

huge gap

6. NFC south
7. AFC south
8. NFC west

Even though it's horseshit now, the AFCW has had some classic rivalries back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I have a few stupid questions that I should probably already know.

What is the difference between a hard count and a soft count?

What do the announcers mean when they say the quarterback is checking it down?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Luminous Cow posted:

I have a few stupid questions that I should probably already know.

What is the difference between a hard count and a soft count?

What do the announcers mean when they say the quarterback is checking it down?

A hard count is when the QB utilizes the cadence in an attempt to draw the defense offsides and gain a 1st down on a short yardage situation. On 4th and 1 the offense will line up and the QB will really emphasize the cadence, yelling and emphasizing certain calls in hopes that a d-lineman will jump. Sometimes this is purely a ploy by the offense to gain a 1st by offsides and they have no intentions of running a play, and will either take a delay of game or call a timeout and then punt. Sometimes they will utilize the hard count until the last second and still run a play.

A checkdown on a passing play is when the QB throws to a receiver who is not one of the primary targets or reads. Usually the checkdown receiver runs a much shorter route making it an easier and safer completion for the QB, with the obvious trade off of gaining less yardage. Quite frequently the check down will be to a back who was used in blitz pickup or to chip block against a d-lineman. If no player blitzes to the gap the back was assigned to protect he has the option to run a route.

e:Play diagram for checkdown explanation:

In this play, which is a play-action pass, the QB will probably be reading from left to right and assuming he has an arm (this is taken from a HS playbook) the left flanker will be his #1 read, and he should throw it to him assuming the CB bites on the play fake. The #2 read is the TE dragging across the middle, and the checkdown in this case is the FB in the flats.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 21, 2010

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ch1mp posted:

Thank you for explaining that. The colossal mismatches that I seem stumble across frequently are one of the reasons that I have had a hard time getting in to college ball and I wondered where these match ups came from.

Some of those games are mandated by law or tradition or the other team used to be better or whatever.

Like Navy (the underdog) will play Notre Dame (usually not the underdog) until Navy says they don't want to. And Navy proceeded to lose like 43 years straight. But Navy's second biggest rival is Notre Dame so they'll play it. Ohio State completely overpowers all the other Ohio teams, but somewhere along the way Ohio grew a lot of FBS teams. So every year they crush Ohio or Akron or something because its all Ohio.

ThatOtherGuy
Jul 15, 2006

"Size matters not. Look at my quarterback. Judge him by his size, do you? Hmm?"
Okay, I need some help. I got asked how college bowl games work and how the teams in BCS bowl games are determined. I was kinda stumped and couldn't really explain it as much as I'd like and Yahoo! Answers is full of retards.

Obviously #1 and #2 go to the BCS Championship, but how are the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls determined? Yahoo Answers would have me believe that it's Rose = Pac-10 and Big Ten champs, Orange = ACC champs, Fiesta = Big 12 champs, and Sugar = SEC champs. If that were true how did Texas play Michigan in the Rose Bowl in 2004? Was that because USC was playing in the National Championship?

help me college football goons

:confused:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ThatOtherGuy posted:

Okay, I need some help. I got asked how college bowl games work and how the teams in BCS bowl games are determined. I was kinda stumped and couldn't really explain it as much as I'd like and Yahoo! Answers is full of retards.

Obviously #1 and #2 go to the BCS Championship, but how are the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls determined? Yahoo Answers would have me believe that it's Rose = Pac-10 and Big Ten champs, Orange = ACC champs, Fiesta = Big 12 champs, and Sugar = SEC champs. If that were true how did Texas play Michigan in the Rose Bowl in 2004? Was that because USC was playing in the National Championship?

help me college football goons

:confused:

Very detailed explanation here: http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

You are right about those affiliations. Those spots are predetermined. After that, there is a rotation (changes every year) for the order in which the bowls get to choose which qualifying team they want to play in their game. If a team that would have be in one of the predetermined slots goes to the championship game, that bowl gets first choice of replacement teams (that is how you got Texas vs. Michigan in the Rose).

The Rose Bowl has a special clause that the first time between now and 2014 that one of their affiliated teams makes it to the championship game and a non-BCS conference is a BCS auto-qualifier, they have to select that team. This was done to appease the other bowls who didn't like that the Rose would never be in a position to have to select a non-AQ team. If some of this doesn't make sense to you, the BCS site probably does a better job at explaining it.

The rest of the bowls are generally affiliated with a conference and have a pecking order of which teams they get to pick. Sometimes you'll see a Bowl Game A listed as something like Big Ten #3 vs. Big 12 #3. Generally it's looked at that the bowl will feature the #3 team in each of those conferences. What it actually means is that Bowl Game A has 3rd choice of which team from each conference it wants.

Team selection is generally done by whatever committee of rich fucks runs a given bowl game. It is most certainly not just "get the best team". Criteria used in this process are (off the top of my head) TV ratings, fan travel $$, game attendance, star-power, story-lines, and competition. How these factors are weighed by a bowl committee is up to them.

It gets more complicated of course, but I think that's a decent overview.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I also know the ACC(and maybe other conferences I can't be sure) has a clause in its agreements with bowls that says that a bowl game can't take a team that is has one more lose then the winningest reaming ACC team.

For example say the Gator bowl(normally takes ACC#2) wouldn't necessarily be able to take a 7-5 FSU who was the ACC Atlantic champ is there was a 10-1 Miami who was the runner up in the ACC Coastal. That is a bit of an extreme example, but I know it has happened in the past.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tk posted:

The rest of the bowls are generally affiliated with a conference and have a pecking order of which teams they get to pick. Sometimes you'll see a Bowl Game A listed as something like Big Ten #3 vs. Big 12 #3. Generally it's looked at that the bowl will feature the #3 team in each of those conferences. What it actually means is that Bowl Game A has 3rd choice of which team from each conference it wants.

Here's a good example of this:

Suppose Penn State and Michigan are both 9-3 (6-2). They're both tied for second in the conference. The Capital One has pick of the #2 Big Ten team after the Rose Bowl took Ohio State. But PSU and Michigan are both #2. Who do you take!

The answer is Michigan, because PSU went last year and PSU fans probably aren't too keen to return to Orlando a second year in a row to a tier 2 bowl. Michigan hasn't been there in a few years, or any bowl for that matter. So a lot of people with money will fly down out of the frigid north to be in Florida. Penn State fans grumble a little, but fly down to Tampa anyhow for the Outback Bowl.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Does anyone know of a site that lists NFL game summaries that includes number of possessions for each team, and not just time of possession?

Edit: possessions per team, not time.

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 1, 2010

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

-Dethstryk- posted:

Does anyone know of a site that lists NFL game summaries that includes number of possessions for each time, and not just time of possession?
If you really need the info, you can just count: http://espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=300912027

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
ESPN has a good drive summary as part of their box score. It defaults to just scoring drives, but you can break it down by quarter and it includes TOP for every drive.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

tk posted:

If you really need the info, you can just count: http://espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=300912027
Yeah, that's what I've been doing, but figured there might be somewhere more convenient. Thanks.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
What does ISO (as in the running play) actually mean?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

nous_ posted:

The play involves the fullback in one-on-one block on a linebacker (usually), coming through a particular gap, with the tailback following him.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nous_ posted:

What Dominion said, but it's short for isolation.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Lead, iso, and blast are all pretty close cousins, and depending on playbook-specific terminology may be used interchangeably (same play could be called any of the three depending on a certain playbook) or concurrently (a play could be called lead iso, iso blast, etc.). They're your basic man-blocking straight ahead inside run plays.

nous_
May 14, 2010
I spent 80k on my sociology degree and all I got was the stupid opinion I just posted.

(and herpes)
Thanks! One more question: if a player got knocked out and dropped the ball before touching the ground, would that still be ruled a fumble or is the play dead at the moment of injury? I'm thinking of that helmet to helmet hit on Willis McGahee in the AFC championship a few years back. I don't think it was flagged, but he was knocked out immediately and dropped the ball. I don't remember what the ruling on possession was.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

nous_ posted:

Thanks! One more question: if a player got knocked out and dropped the ball before touching the ground, would that still be ruled a fumble or is the play dead at the moment of injury? I'm thinking of that helmet to helmet hit on Willis McGahee in the AFC championship a few years back. I don't think it was flagged, but he was knocked out immediately and dropped the ball. I don't remember what the ruling on possession was.

It's a fumble. The only thing that stops a play is the helmet coming off the ball carrier in a few leagues. The NFL did not do this a few years ago but I think they may have added that rule this year or last.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I was looking at some defensive stats on FO and saw that the Texans were the worst passing defense in the league. I went to NFL.com and started looking at the team stats, when I saw the "avg" stat on passing defense.

NFL passing defense stats for reference.

Sorted by this, the Texans are tied with Detroit for 2nd in avg, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell this number is or how they derive it. It's sure as hell not yds/attempt.

Couldn't really find a better place to ask this question, so could someone point out to me what the obvious thing I'm overlooking here is?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It looks like some derivative of yards per attempt, although it's not just straight yards divided by attempts.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, yeah, that's a weird one and it's the same way for passing offense.

It doesn't look to be any combination of attempts + sacks to yards either, maybe need to add sack yards, but I don't think that'd fix those numbers either.

ESPN has the same stat listed straight up as Yards per Pass attempt, and they match NFL.com's.

Okay I solved it.

It's passing yards given up + sack yards / Pass attempts (It is almost 3 am, but this seems retarded to me).

1) Why is it adding the sack yards instead of subtracting?
2) Why is it not counting sacks as part of total attempts then?

Double Edit for 3am: It's because it is being very literal.

The passing yards allowed stat already has the sack yards removed from it already, so the Yards per pass attempt stat is trying to literally calculate that, without the sack yardage being removed.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 9, 2010

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Yep, that's it. Thanks!

I never would have guessed that sack yards were already taken away from passing yards, but I guess it somewhat makes sense that they would do that because they don't actually show sack yards (as they're already accounted for). Still weird, though.

pyromance posted:

It's sure as hell not yds/attempt.

jeffersonlives posted:

It looks like some derivative of yards per attempt, although it's not just straight yards divided by attempts.
Haha, I guess we were wrong here but for a completely different reason than we thought.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Dumb question, but...

When the Randy Moss trade first broke, some people made jokes saying that the Pats were "lending" him to the Vikings just for the bye week / game against the Jets, and the Vikes were gonna trade him back after Monday's game for the same 3rd round pick.

Now obviously this isn't the case, but I'm just wondering if there's actual rules against teams making such an agreement? Because a move like that would be hilariously scumbaggish.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kevyn posted:

Dumb question, but...

When the Randy Moss trade first broke, some people made jokes saying that the Pats were "lending" him to the Vikings just for the bye week / game against the Jets, and the Vikes were gonna trade him back after Monday's game for the same 3rd round pick.

Now obviously this isn't the case, but I'm just wondering if there's actual rules against teams making such an agreement? Because a move like that would be hilariously scumbaggish.

There are certainly rules against collusion between teams, but I'm not sure what the actual wording of the rules are. Trades also need to be approved by the NFL.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Dominion posted:

There are certainly rules against collusion between teams, but I'm not sure what the actual wording of the rules are. Trades also need to be approved by the NFL.

"No, you can NOT trade Bernard Pollard to whomever is playing the Patriots for the first 6 weeks of the season"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Dramatika posted:

"No, you can NOT trade Bernard Pollard to whomever is playing the Patriots for the first 6 weeks of the season"

Actually, this I think you could do. Usually, collusion rules boil down to "every trade must be at least reasonably in the best interests of both teams".

So Pats/Vikes can't just bounce Moss back and forth, because there's no reason to. You can't argue that the Pats are improving their team by both getting rid of AND getting back Moss, so the 2nd trade would probably get overturned.

However, trading Pollard from team A to team B to team C etc, would probably be legal, as long as each individual trade was legit on both sides. Still would never happen, but I don't think it would be illegal.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Why do quarterbacks always seem to put a hat on when they're on the sidelines?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Doppelganger posted:

Why do quarterbacks always seem to put a hat on when they're on the sidelines?

The NFL has contracts with companies that require players/coaches to wear that company's apparel on the sidelines. Not only does anything you wear have to be Reebok, but you also HAVE to wear it (I think).

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
I wish they would have some sort of throwback week where the coaches could wear suits.

Pop Dog
Jul 11, 2008

Cane Break posted:

I wish they would have some sort of throwback week where the coaches could wear suits.

I think they did this once

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pop Dog posted:

It was Del Rio and I think Mike Nolan when he was the coach of the niners. And I think the NFL only let them do it for home games.

I want to see Belichick in a suit

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

It was Del Rio and I think Mike Nolan when he was the coach of the niners. And I think the NFL only let them do it for home games.

I remember this for Nolan. I think he was allowed to wear one twice a year at home games, but they had to be the NFL suit jackets that had garish team colors lining them.

This was a big deal in northern California at the time. I'm unsure why.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SteelAngel2000 posted:

The other dude rocking it is Pepper Johnson.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pron on VHS posted:

The NFL has contracts with companies that require players/coaches to wear that company's apparel on the sidelines. Not only does anything you wear have to be Reebok, but you also HAVE to wear it (I think).

You don't HAVE to wear a hat, but if you do it must be Reebok. Most QBs put on a hat because they have messy or stupid looking helmet-hair and they know they're on camera.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

JGdmn posted:

This was a big deal in northern California at the time. I'm unsure why.

I think it was because his dad was a coach in San Francisco and was loved by the fans and always wore a suit, so Nolan was trying to honor him or something and the fans loved it until they realized that Mike Nolan is terrible

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers

Pop Dog posted:

The suits were also made by Reebok because it's the only clothing coaches are allowed to wear on the sidelines. They were specially designed.

delicious beef
Feb 5, 2006

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

nnnAdam posted:

The suits were also made by Reebok because it's the only clothing coaches are allowed to wear on the sidelines. They were specially designed.

That's loving ridiculous, wow.

I may have missed it skimming through this thread, but could anybody possibly give me a rundown on how broadcast/Internet rights get divided up, what gets paid for stuff, things like that. I remember some conversations in TRP about how soccer's broadcasting deals are different to most major American sports, it would be good to have some concrete examples of what's different

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I'm sorry to bother you guys about this but I wasn't sure who to bother.

My father called me up and was looking for a decent place he can stream live games, presumably all of them. The official ESPN stuff I've looked at doesn't always seem to carry the games he is looking for (Ravens), and the few attempts I've made to find something for him result in a lot of ESPN search hits and some dodgy looking websites. Do you guys recommend anything? He doesn't mind if there is a subscription required.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Synnr posted:

I'm sorry to bother you guys about this but I wasn't sure who to bother.

My father called me up and was looking for a decent place he can stream live games, presumably all of them. The official ESPN stuff I've looked at doesn't always seem to carry the games he is looking for (Ravens), and the few attempts I've made to find something for him result in a lot of ESPN search hits and some dodgy looking websites. Do you guys recommend anything? He doesn't mind if there is a subscription required.

Three basic placed that I go for streams:

https://www.channelsurfing.net
https://www.atdhe.net
http://www.firstrow.net/sports/american-football.html

Edit: One other

https://www.myp2p.eu

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

If he doesn't mind seeing it after the fact, this is a good option for 50$.

You don't have to worry about quality or streams being discovered and taken down by the league.

• Locked thread