Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Pope Mobile posted:

So... what would smell vaguely like fish oil around the engine/clutch after a lot of hard turning, shifting and accelerating through the city riding? Never smelt anything like it before...

Where you riding with a woman who doesn't practice proper hygiene procedures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Apologies if this has been done to death before.. I have a question about shock upgrades. I am rocking the stock rear shock and forks and weigh somewhere around 200lbs with gear. The rear is only adjustable for preload right? and from what I've read the stockers are set up for 150lbs riders which I'm definitely not.
I've definitely noticed that I get huge brake dive and the bike feels pretty squashy compared to just sitting on some other bikes but I haven't really ridden any other bikes to compare the ride to.
When I took the worn stock tyres off and put my Q2s on it was night and day.. hoping that something like this would be similar.
Ive read that popular shock swaps include the zx*r, and gsxr rear shocks. And probably a bunch of others too. so I want to upgrade.

So for those who have done it, any advice? which shock did you use and which would you recommend? What should I look for in a shock to make sure I'm not buying a dud (keeping in mind I'll probably get one off of ebay), Hows the ride vs stock? I figure on taking it to the local shop everyone recommends for getting it set up right after installing it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

GanjamonII posted:

Apologies if this has been done to death before.. I have a question about shock upgrades. I am rocking the stock rear shock and forks and weigh somewhere around 200lbs with gear. The rear is only adjustable for preload right? and from what I've read the stockers are set up for 150lbs riders which I'm definitely not.
I've definitely noticed that I get huge brake dive and the bike feels pretty squashy compared to just sitting on some other bikes but I haven't really ridden any other bikes to compare the ride to.
When I took the worn stock tyres off and put my Q2s on it was night and day.. hoping that something like this would be similar.
Ive read that popular shock swaps include the zx*r, and gsxr rear shocks. And probably a bunch of others too. so I want to upgrade.

So for those who have done it, any advice? which shock did you use and which would you recommend? What should I look for in a shock to make sure I'm not buying a dud (keeping in mind I'll probably get one off of ebay), Hows the ride vs stock? I figure on taking it to the local shop everyone recommends for getting it set up right after installing it.

I saved this from a thread on some SV forum ages ago, there might be a more up to date version around now

quote:

YEAR MOTORCYCLE LENGTH SPRING
===== ========= ===== =====
00-03 GSXR750 325mm 400#

01-03 GSXR600 325.5mm 450# *corrected by TWF...thanks!

01-02 GSXR1000 329.5mm 430#

03-04 SV650 330mm 430# <<<==== stock 2nd gen...05 should be the same

99-03 GSXR1300(Busa) 330mm 700#

04 GSXR750 332.5mm 408#

04 GSXR600 332.5mm 425#

03-04 GSXR1000 332.5mm 480#

99-02 SV650 337mm 510# <<<====stock 1st gen

04 ZX10R 338mm 540#

03-04 ZX6R(636) 340mm 540# *corrected by e lo...thanks!

96-99 GSXR750 345mm 375#

97-00 GSXR600 375mm 375#

05 GSX-R 1000 332.5mm 450# <<<===added by me...spring rate from racetech.com, length from ohlins.com

originally posted by user "in da zone" in another thread, but he copied it from ANOTHER thread, so I dunno who originally did the research and posted it, but whoever you are THANK YOU! if you claim your work, I will edit the post and give you credit. I saw a few 05 gsxr 1000 shocks on ebay, so I researched that one myself. I'm fairly certain that the sources of data I used are the same sources other folks used for the rest of it...I'm not positive, though.

what spring rate do you need on your second gen bike? depends on your weight:

410 lb/in - Under 140 lbs rider

430 lb/in - Under 160

480 lb/in - Under 190

540 lb/in - Over 190

originally posted in another thread by ronlarimer. kinda rough guesstimates, but gives you a good idea of what you might want to look for. Heavier rider will want a heavier spring and light rider will want a lighter spring.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

echomadman posted:

I saved this from a thread on some SV forum ages ago, there might be a more up to date version around now

Ah thats really useful, thanks. I'm guessing that the shock stroke would also matter right in terms of total rear wheel travel and making sure that the rear geometry stays within whatever was designed? At least it would matter in mountain bikes.

So if I was looking at something like the zx10r
04 ZX10R 338mm 540#
would the 8mm difference have any impact on the rear geometry? I can't really imagine it would considering variable rider weights and sags etc.

Also - would having the front forks built with stiffer springs and heavier oil be an 'ok' substitute for a front end upgrade? Or would I be better off just spending a little more and getting a new front end? Is there a similar chart for forks?

Oh and in case it matters it would be for occasional track days but mostly backroads. Oh and Im a newish rider. I just wanna mess around with the bike really or I'd probably just keep riding it stock.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

Ah thats really useful, thanks. I'm guessing that the shock stroke would also matter right in terms of total rear wheel travel and making sure that the rear geometry stays within whatever was designed? At least it would matter in mountain bikes.

04 ZX10R 338mm 540#
would the 8mm difference have any impact on the rear geometry? I can't really imagine it would considering variable rider weights and sags etc.

Also - would having the front forks built with stiffer springs and heavier oil be an 'ok' substitute for a front end upgrade? Or would I be better off just spending a little more and getting a new front end? Is there a similar chart for forks?

Oh and in case it matters it would be for occasional track days but mostly backroads. Oh and Im a newish rider. I just wanna mess around with the bike really or I'd probably just keep riding it stock.

If you'd like to tinker, I'd recommend the GSX-R front end, it's more fun to install and it also upgrades the brakes, which is really nice.

The 8mm of additional shock length will cause a noticible difference in rear ride height, because it's being fed through the linkage, so figure about 24mm of increase in rear ride height. Between that, the proper spring, and the shorter front forks, the bike will be much more responsive. If you're gonna be doing track riding, I'd also push you towards the gsx-r front there too.

Here's a handy compatibility chart:
http://www.gregoryli.com/2007/06/gsx-r-front-end-swap-parts.html

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

GanjamonII posted:

04 ZX10R 338mm 540#

Not sure what gen you've got, so YMMV. Although we're pretty close in weights.

I've a '00 Sv650n, and the recent upgrade that I did was a 2009 ZX-6r shock in the rear, .9kg racetech springs in the front with 20w oil and a set of cartridge emulators. The difference is seriously night and day. The ZX-6r shock is literally the exact same in height/travel as the stocker, except being a million times better.

This rig ended up costing me about $400 in parts. To mount the zx-6r shock, you need to shim down the battery tray and cut the gas tank mounted portion of the battery tray flush. Gen 1's and Gen 2's will require different things, though from what I've heard the zx-6r shock is good throughout the years.

Honestly though, if you're a newish rider and aren't outriding the suspension, then don't worry about it. I made the decision to switch after the bike would lift the front wheel off the ground during my weaves, which ended up with me almost wrecking because I went into a tankslapper since the wheels crossed up.

Good luck, and svrider.com is pretty much the defacto source for all this info.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

frozenphil posted:

Where you riding with a woman who doesn't practice proper hygiene procedures?

Not at the time, no. I think the bitch fell off.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Question about my SV:

I've been smelling clutch when I get to stoplights as of late, I always downshift when slowing down usually down to 2nd (not all at once of course, but 4th, third, 2nd) letting it ride out so engine braking saves me some pad life, then instead of going into first I just clutch/brake.

Could this be because my adjustable lever is too far in and it's not disengaging properly? When I clutch in and pop it down into first to start from a stop, there's no change in RPM and it doesn't feel like it's grabbing at all.

What's the dealio? Checked the oil and it's still well within spec.

Edit: It's a 2007 S-ABS.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Could be the reverse problem, it's not slack enough so it's always slipping a little bit.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Maybe.. I did adjust the cable a bit. There's still a good amount of slack in the line maybe 1/4-1/2 before it engages. I'll loosen it up a bit and see what happens.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

NipplesTheCat posted:

2009 ZX-6r shock

I bought one of these on ebay today! It was 80$ + postage which is pretty fair from what I saw.

I did some reading on it and seems that the stock spring on the 09 should suit me pretty well. Should be here in time for a swap next weekend!

I was doing some looking at complete GSXR front ends - it seems that I'd be looking at about 4-500 + I'd have to buy a wheel ($150-200) to match as well plus whatever little bits which would quickly add up so I'm going to hold off on that for a little and see if I can get the front forks rebuilt with some stiffer springs or spacers and heavier fork oil first. Though the allure of flash USD forks is pretty strong, I'm wondering whether I'd be better off saving my cash and just buying a SS a little further down the track. When I was at the track the (very few) people I was keeping pace with/faster in the corners all blew me away on 600's in the straights which was a little frustrating.

Edit - when I say down the track I mean a year or so. Im happy with the SV on the track, I think it would probably teach more reliance on cornering skills etc rather than just being able to burn down the straights to make up lost time.

GanjamonII fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 5, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're a relatively novice track rider, you'll get eaten alive in the straights on the SV until you learn to drop back a little, look past the rider in front of you, and late apex and drive out hard and early under them. It's a good training tool, but if you're just out there to have some fun and don't have an eventual goal of racing or are happy just doing some trackdays each year, then a 600 is a perfectly good choice too.

It just depends on what you want out of it. If you want to be forced to learn to rely more on cornerspeed and good drive techniques, SVs are great, if you just want to go out there, blast around with your friends, and pass some folks, then the 600s are where it's at.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I adjusted the clutch lever screw thingy in a bit, giving the lever a bit more slack before it gets taut to engage. No more clutch smell. If it comes back I'll let you know.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Well, gently caress. I've had my SV for 6 months now, and the fork seal finally started leaking a lot rather than a trickle. Local independent mechanic who was doing my fork seals discovered fork tubes... With a crease in them. It looks like they've been straightened before, and he is heavily advising replacement. I'm listening to him because its my rear end on the line when I'm riding, but is $300 a fork tube really the way to go? Ebay or used forks also run a risk of being bent/straightened before.

I haven't had any incidents, so it looks like the PO was a bit unscrupulous, but I was expecting that already. I just didn't think it would be something so crazy expensive. Well guys, should I suck up $600 in parts plus some labor to not be riding a deathtrap?

I know that a lot of people put gsxr front ends on these, but I'd expect people would usually do that when the stock forks are damaged. Also, its sitting on a stand at the mechanics right now and he wants to know what to do. He has offered to straighten em out, but sounded like that was a baaaaad idea given the crease.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 7, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

300$ a fork tube? Hell no.

Buy a gixxer front end and put that on there.

Or buy a replacement set of forks on ebay, give them to the mechanic, if they're not as described, file with paypal and repeat.

I've always gotten good parts off of ebay, you can pay a bit more and some of the places will provide runout specs on them.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Weinertron posted:

Well, gently caress. I've had my SV for 6 months now, and the fork seal finally started leaking a lot rather than a trickle. Local independent mechanic who was doing my fork seals discovered fork tubes... With a crease in them. It looks like they've been straightened before, and he is heavily advising replacement. I'm listening to him because its my rear end on the line when I'm riding, but is $300 a fork tube really the way to go? Ebay or used forks also run a risk of being bent/straightened before.

I haven't had any incidents, so it looks like the PO was a bit unscrupulous, but I was expecting that already. I just didn't think it would be something so crazy expensive. Well guys, should I suck up $600 in parts plus some labor to not be riding a deathtrap?

I know that a lot of people put gsxr front ends on these, but I'd expect people would usually do that when the stock forks are damaged. Also, its sitting on a stand at the mechanics right now and he wants to know what to do. He has offered to straighten em out, but sounded like that was a baaaaad idea given the crease.

You can get a gsxr front end for $600 and if you do the swap then you also get an upgrade to your brakes. If I recall correctly, you need a different wheel for the swap but you'll be able to sell your old wheel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

schreibs posted:

You can get a gsxr front end for $600 and if you do the swap then you also get an upgrade to your brakes. If I recall correctly, you need a different wheel for the swap but you'll be able to sell your old wheel.

You will need a complete front end:

Triples
Forks
Wheel
Calipers
Rotors
Clipons
Axle
Fender

But yeah, you can sell off the other stuff. I've bought GSX-R front ends for as cheap as 300$, complete, it's just matter of hunting for the right deals.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Frame Sliders: installed.
Tires: Air pressure checked.
Chain: cleaned and lubed.

Woooo, ready for my ride this weekend.

Bike: not packed. :gonk:

Couple of buddies and me are going up to Suches, Georgia this weekend to spend our days riding around the north Georgia mountains and spend our nights in a nice secluded cabin. You know, man stuff.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I adjusted the clutch lever screw thingy in a bit, giving the lever a bit more slack before it gets taut to engage. No more clutch smell. If it comes back I'll let you know.

Check the SVRider clutch mantra. Worked great for me.
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=54588

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

GanjamonII posted:

I bought a shock and my front end is poo poo.

I just recently got a chance to really test out the rear shock, I think you'll be pretty happy about it.

As for the forks, a lot of people seem really happy with doing the GSXR front end. I went with cartridge emulators/fork oil/springs as I felt that it was a solid compromise between cost and performance. While the gsxr's front is fully adjustable, not having to deal with the wheel swap and all the other gremlins that come from a front end swap was worth it to me. Beside that, with emulators/springs, if I ever feel the need to swap up to a GSX-r front end, I can sell off the parts that I bought and get some of my money back.

If your bike is a commuter, and your transportation, I'd recommend just doing the forks/springs. If it's just a track bitch and something you hoon around on, then probably the gsxr front is the way to go. This is basically on amount of time and effort required to do the swap.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

NipplesTheCat posted:

I just recently got a chance to really test out the rear shock, I think you'll be pretty happy about it.

As for the forks, a lot of people seem really happy with doing the GSXR front end. I went with cartridge emulators/fork oil/springs as I felt that it was a solid compromise between cost and performance. While the gsxr's front is fully adjustable, not having to deal with the wheel swap and all the other gremlins that come from a front end swap was worth it to me. Beside that, with emulators/springs, if I ever feel the need to swap up to a GSX-r front end, I can sell off the parts that I bought and get some of my money back.

If your bike is a commuter, and your transportation, I'd recommend just doing the forks/springs. If it's just a track bitch and something you hoon around on, then probably the gsxr front is the way to go. This is basically on amount of time and effort required to do the swap.

Yeah I think I am probably gonna keep the fork for the time being for the same reasons you posted..

Also I just came to post that I took the snorkle off the airbox after reading about it bored at work today (its free and I can put it back on in 15 minutes..). It suddenly sounds completely different - has a nice snarl to it. Haven't taken it for a proper test but the lap around the block it felt a little more lively.

Any downlsides to doing that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It'll lean things out a bit, but no, the SV has pretty good jetting/FI out of the box.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Made a purchase last night! 05 S, all stock w/ 3600 miles.

Poor guy was sitting in a garage collecting dust, and even had a spider living in-between the passenger seat and the exhaust! Too rainy last night to blow much of the dust off on the road, but that spider is going for a wild and windy ride tonight!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I've started to notice a clicking sound as I turn my handlebars lock to lock. What's that mean? Need to tighten the nuts or look at new bearings?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Coredump posted:

I've started to notice a clicking sound as I turn my handlebars lock to lock. What's that mean? Need to tighten the nuts or look at new bearings?

Before you tear apart the steering stem, make sure it isn't a cable pulling across the fairing or something simple like that.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
How much mileage is too much on an SV? I was looking at this http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2000798234.html , and im wondering if its even worth looking at.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

25K is nothing. I'd ask him if the original headlight comes with it though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems a bit on the high side for an 04 but negotiation is the order of the day anyways.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is it really? 25K in 6 years is slightly over 4K a year, should be pretty normal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sorry, meant pricewise, not mileage.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
anecdotal I have 34k over 9 years with 15k put on in the last two and everything seems ok!

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007
Wellp, I went the opposite way and picked up an 05' from a dealer with only 750 miles on it. Bike rides awesome, easily one of the most fun bikes i've ridden.

harm0nic
Feb 21, 2010

Just bought an aftermarket seat for the SV from Sargent. Figured I'd do my rear end a favor before I blow another couple hundred on one of these.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
My first proper fill-up on my 2006 and it returned only 36mpg. All of my riding on the last tank was urban/traffic etc. Fuel light went on at ~95mi. The bike is new and I haven't really been beyond 6k yet so I'm riding pretty conservatively. Should I be concerned, or is 36mpg for stoplight to stoplight riding expected?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm glad I'm not the only one a little disheartened by my fuel use. Granted I'm an outsider and ride a 600SS, but I always feel like I should be getting higher fuel efficiency than I am. It's still better than my car but I get around 30mpg on average. I'm hoping to switch out my air filter and change plugs soon, hopefully that helps. I'd suggest you try the same, but I'm not really sure what you meant by "new" bike. Is it a leftover 2006 that you just bought from some dealer or are you saying it's a new bike to you (as in you bought it used?)

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
I mean it is new to me so I'm still getting used to it and riding pretty conservatively. This is only my second tank of gas.

I don't care if it gets poor gas mileage unless it is an indicator that something is wrong with the bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
In that case, it would be best to change out the plugs and check the air filter, etc. anyways because it is used. Unless the last owner kept great records and kept up on the maintenance it's usually best to catch up on it all now that the bike is new so you know it was all done.

It can't hurt in any case, and it's cheap insurance to make sure your bike is running as well as it can on that end.

It probably won't give much of a gain, but it's worth it in the end. Don't be discouraged if you see like a 1mpg increase or something small.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Only 36mpg? I'm consistenly running 50 +/- 2, and that's on a bike with 51k whose pervious owner took bad care of it.
I don't do a whole lot of stop and go city riding (only a couple days a week) but it seems like you should be getting at least 45.

E: vv That's a pretty good point. "Highway speed" out here is anywhere between 55-70, so it doesn't really affect my mileage.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 26, 2010

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Pope Mobile posted:

Only 36mpg? I'm consistenly running 50 +/- 2, and that's on a bike with 51k whose pervious owner took bad care of it.
I don't do a whole lot of stop and go city riding (only a couple days a week) but it seems like you should be getting at least 45.
Speed plays a big factor too. I get around 35 on my Gladius, which should in theory get better mileage than the SV. But then I have to ride 85+mph to keep from being tailgated and road raged for like 90% of my commute. When I do ride roads with reasonable speeds, I get 55+ mpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

harm0nic posted:

Just bought an aftermarket seat for the SV from Sargent. Figured I'd do my rear end a favor before I blow another couple hundred on one of these.

Hows it ride? I really wanna upgrade the seat but I'm a bit torn on spending $260 or whatever it is for a corbin..

• Locked thread