Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
What are some good Hong Kong action movies that are out on Blu-ray?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eight Is Legend posted:

What are some good Hong Kong action movies that are out on Blu-ray?

I can't check my collection right now as I'm waiting in line to see Jackass 3D, but off the top of my head Dragon Dynasty has released Invisible Target, Kill Zone, and a few wuxia movies. You can also import a lot of good stuff for relatively fair prices (I'd recommend dddhouse.com) directly from Asia - HK releases are region A and always have English subs. I've got several Johnnie To releases from MegaStar and they're all top notch. I would recommend just going to dddhouse, browsing their BD list and googling reviews for specific titles.

e: The Infernal Affairs trilogy is great on BD.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 15, 2010

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Criterion cropped the image on Paths of Glory? I admit that is still looks good, but I expected them to keep it in the original aspect ratio.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Joe Der Maus posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that Criterion cropped the image on Paths of Glory? I admit that is still looks good, but I expected them to keep it in the original aspect ratio.

1.66:1 is the original aspect ratio. It was opened to 1.33:1 for home video.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm amazed at some of the movies getting a Blu-Ray release. Like Fire On The Amazon coming January 11th. Never heard of it? Good. It's a lovely movie that is only known due to Sandra Bullock doing a "nude" scene in it.

I know name power sells but couldn't they pull something decent out of their archives?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 15, 2010

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Sporadic posted:

I'm amazed at some of the movies getting a Blu-Ray release. Like Fire On The Amazon coming January 11th. Never heard of it? Good. It's a lovely movie that is only known due to Sandra Bullock doing a "nude" scene in it.

I know name power sells but couldn't they pull something decent out of their archives?

Oh god, that movie is awful. I remember watching that being one of the first DVDs I ever saw and I was just completely appalled. Glad I get the chance to revisit, I guess.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Red posted:

So after buying a new TV, I get $30 in Reward Zone credit from Best Buy, and it's all going towards a new Blu-Ray or two.

My choices:

- The Darjeeling Limited
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- Persepolis
- Snatch
- Crimson Tide

The Best Buy near me only had Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence in stock, and none of the others, and I ended up waffling on it - so I got The Proposition and A Single Man instead. No other Best Buy in Maryland had Persepolis or The Darjeeling Limited in stock. What the hey?

Anyway, trying to add Proposition to my collection on DVDaf.com revealed that they don't carry that particular release - yet. Adding new titles to that site is such a horrible pain in the rear end. I know there are a few other cataloging sites out there - can you guys recommend any?

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

I said come in! posted:

Is it really that bad? I was gonna get this, i've never seen... Back to the Future, before. :/

That's pretty surprising. Do you live in the United States? The first movie was a fixture of TBS/TNT/USA programming throughout the 1990s.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arrow UK's first print of Battle Royale will be limited to 5,000 copies, in a 3-disc edition with exclusive special features that will not appear on subsequent releases. No word yet on region coding, but Arrow codes their discs region free whenever they possibly can. Make sure to pre-order if you want to get in on the limited edition (about $25 shipped to the US):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZIZ2HK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Red posted:

Anyway, trying to add Proposition to my collection on DVDaf.com revealed that they don't carry that particular release - yet. Adding new titles to that site is such a horrible pain in the rear end. I know there are a few other cataloging sites out there - can you guys recommend any?

i'm also in red's shoes [no pun intended] and would like some info on a good cataloging site if someone can help out? right now i've just got mine all listed in an excel sheet.. it does the job but drat it took a lot of time to start up.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Blu-Ray.com doesn't have the best cataloging format ever, but they do have the most comprehensive database of titles. I've yet to find a release, no matter how obscure, that they don't have an entry for, whereas sites like dvdaf.com are missing several titles I own.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

friendo55 posted:

i'm also in red's shoes [no pun intended] and would like some info on a good cataloging site if someone can help out? right now i've just got mine all listed in an excel sheet.. it does the job but drat it took a lot of time to start up.

I'm pretty sure DVDAF.com has The Proposition as I own it and have it cataloged on my own DVDAF account. They probably just have the original cover, not the re-release one, but the BD discs are identical (they just felt the need to rip off Red Dead Redemption's cover style and repromote for some reason...).

BD.com has the most comprehensive as they have huge numbers of OCD slipcover and Steelbook enthusiasts constantly making GBS threads up every thread with that kind of nonsense. I prefer DVDAF's interface and the fact that they're also a DVD cataloging site, and I just submit entries for anything I have that DVDAF doesn't.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 15, 2010

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.

doctor thodt posted:

Arrow UK's first print of Battle Royale will be limited to 5,000 copies, in a 3-disc edition with exclusive special features that will not appear on subsequent releases. No word yet on region coding, but Arrow codes their discs region free whenever they possibly can. Make sure to pre-order if you want to get in on the limited edition (about $25 shipped to the US):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZIZ2HK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks for this! I've been stuck with the lovely directors cut with the awful subtitles which don't match up for SO LONG!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

doctor thodt posted:

Oooh cool finally a good time to be a UK goon :D Pre-ordered!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Butthole Prince posted:

That's pretty surprising. Do you live in the United States? The first movie was a fixture of TBS/TNT/USA programming throughout the 1990s.

I could never watch movies on cable t.v., the commercial breaks always ruined it for me. I'm gonna have to just buy the blu-ray set anyways, I want to see these films.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!

doctor thodt posted:

Thanks Thodt! Just the other day I was looking for Battle Royale and could only find DVDs.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Blu-ray.com uploaded more BTTF screens, the lack of actual detail really bums me out :(

http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/3408_12_1080p.jpg

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah, it's kinda obviously just an old master with a bunch of DNR and sharpening in places :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

hitze posted:

Blu-ray.com uploaded more BTTF screens, the lack of actual detail really bums me out :(

http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/3408_12_1080p.jpg

Now is that the transfer or the way it was shot? Alot of 80s movies were shot very soft.

- edit The review touches on it.

quote:

If you are expecting digitally pristine image quality from any of these films, you will probably be sorely disappointed. If you remember how these films looked theatrically (and they were frankly never "gorgeous" films even in their day), or realize that hi-def can only do so much depending on the source elements and the unique characteristics of any given film, you will most likely agree that this is the best looking the Back to the Future trilogy has ever been.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Three Kings is very pleasing on BD, in case anyone was wondering.

Coming in January from Criterion:

Army of Shadows
Broadcast News
The Naked Kiss
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Shock Corridor

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apocalypse Now advertises The Conversation for next year :dance: It's been talked about already, but it's nice to see something concrete.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Sporadic posted:

Now is that the transfer or the way it was shot? Alot of 80s movies were shot very soft.

- edit The review touches on it.

I'm not buying it when I see examples like this.
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/85377/picture:7

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

I don't understand how the blu-ray doesn't look better then the Canal+ H.264 screen shot. At least to me, I see a lot more detail in the blu-ray. Remember, mousing over is the blu-ray.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

frumpsnake posted:

Yeah, ouch. That isn't 80s softness, it's smeared and cartoony.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand how the blu-ray doesn't look better then the Canal+ H.264 screen shot. At least to me, I see a lot more detail in the blu-ray. Remember, mousing over is the blu-ray.
There is a ton of edge enhancement/smoothing going on.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

There is a ton of edge enhancement/smoothing going on.

I know there are cases where this is a bad thing. I've seen examples of this where it looks horrible. I guess my problem is I don't see how it's an issue for this movie specifically. I'm not really trained to tell the difference though. The blu-ray to my simple mind looks better.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I said come in! posted:

The blu-ray is slicker (and in the right aspect ratio), but they blew out a lot of texture. Look at the close-up up his face in screenshot 5 - in the Canal+ one you can see eyelashes and pores and stuff. When they minimized the grain on the blu-ray, all that disappeared. He's a waxy-faced weirdo.The Canal+ version isn't amazing, but it's a much warmer, less processed image.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

penismightier posted:

The blu-ray is slicker (and in the right aspect ratio), but they blew out a lot of texture. Look at the close-up up his face in screenshot 5 - in the Canal+ one you can see eyelashes and pores and stuff. When they minimized the grain on the blu-ray, all that disappeared. He's a waxy-faced weirdo.The Canal+ version isn't amazing, but it's a much warmer, less processed image.

Okay now it's clicking with me. Thanks for the example, I see what you mean now.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Am I looking at something different? The "detail" in the HD stream screenshots isn't grain it's artifacts. Look at the hood of the car in screenshot 8 or the black guy's face in screenshot 7.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't think it's artifacts on his face in 5. I can't really tell either way from any of the other pictures, but the close-up really favors Canal+, I think.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I don't see the hubbub either. The "pores" on Fox's face in screen 7 look like film grain/noise. Obviously something's been done to the picture but neither one looks horrible to me - the fine detail that gets erased from too much noise reduction doesn't look present here.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Neither impress me or upset me much, but his face looks weird as poo poo in the blu-ray. It's not Predator-bad, but it's not a good thing they did to it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I don't think it's artifacts on his face in 5. I can't really tell either way from any of the other pictures, but the close-up really favors Canal+, I think.

5 is the one with Biff in poo poo right? I don't see the pores you refer to, but if you look at his teeth and lips, especially on the left side the artifacting seems pretty clear to me. Same thing on Fox's face in 7, look where his face meets his jacket. It's clearer when you look in darker areas as that's where everything turns blotchy in the HD stram caps.

penismightier posted:

Neither impress me or upset me much, but his face looks weird as poo poo in the blu-ray. It's not Predator-bad, but it's not a good thing they did to it.
It might be the brightness on the blu ray which makes it look glossy.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 16, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

5 is the one with Biff in poo poo right? I don't see the pores you refer to, but if you look at his teeth and lips, especially on the left side the artifacting seems pretty clear to me. Same thing on Fox's face in 7, look where his face meets his jacket. It's clearer when you look in darker areas as that's where everything turns blotchy in the HD stram caps.

Is 5 Biff in poo poo? I was talking about the one where he's looking at his disappearing hand.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Is 5 Biff in poo poo? I was talking about the one where he's looking at his disappearing hand.

That's #6 for me, and I don't think those are pores, unless he also has pores on his thumbnail. The one on the blu ray does look overly glossy, though. The uncompressed source of the HD stream probably looks better than both.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Does it looks as good as it can? No. Does Universal appear to have tampered with it (for the worse)? Almost undoubtedly. Is this disappointing? No question about it. But is it an unmitigated disaster like Gladiator or Spartacus? No, it doesn't appear that way. Are we likely to get anything better in the next 5 years? Probably not. Will I buy it when it hits $40? Most likely.

In other news, here's a brief video on the 8k restoration done on The Sound of Music:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150282259450612

Fox :golfclap:

Hey, speaking of Fox, why am I only now finding out that they released Jingle All the Way on Blu-Ray like two years ago? Somebody remind me to pick up this modern-day masterpiece sometime before Christmas.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I'm pretty sure DVDAF.com has The Proposition as I own it and have it cataloged on my own DVDAF account. They probably just have the original cover, not the re-release one, but the BD discs are identical (they just felt the need to rip off Red Dead Redemption's cover style and repromote for some reason...).

BD.com has the most comprehensive as they have huge numbers of OCD slipcover and Steelbook enthusiasts constantly making GBS threads up every thread with that kind of nonsense. I prefer DVDAF's interface and the fact that they're also a DVD cataloging site, and I just submit entries for anything I have that DVDAF doesn't.

The new release is a DVD/Blu-Ray combo - as far as I know, everything else is the same. DVDaf.com used to be very comprehensive, especially about foreign releases. Last I checked, I couldn't inlude my UK release of Downfall.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
So I just discovered this.

http://www.amazon.com/Cronos-Criterion-Collection-Federico-Luppi/dp/B0043VUHUU

Looks like my first Criterion blu-ray purchase has been found.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Looks like my first Criterion blu-ray purchase has been found.

:nyd:

Ladies and Gentlemen: The Rolling Stones reviewed
Moulin Rouge! reviewed x2
The Rocky Horror Picture Show reviewed
Spirits of the Dead reviewed
Winter's Bone reviewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Red posted:

The new release is a DVD/Blu-Ray combo - as far as I know, everything else is the same. DVDaf.com used to be very comprehensive, especially about foreign releases. Last I checked, I couldn't inlude my UK release of Downfall.

I've had Downfall from the UK in my collection for years, so I don't know why you're not seeing it.

DVDaf is not perfect - I find myself having to add a lot of new things myself. But once you learn the process it is very simple, and I prefer the general interface to the alternatives. But if the thought of adding your own entries to the database now and then is completely unattractive, then yeah I guess it's not for you.

• Locked thread