Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SlimGoodbody posted:

Man, I see one of two things happening with Durkon here, and both are depressing as hell.

1) He develops a true and deep friendship with this cleric, then realizes he has to kill him. It tears him apart.

2) He has a crisis of faith and does something seriously dick like V did a few arcs back. It tears him/others apart.

I'd really like to believe that they're just going to have a civil, if heated, disagreement in philosophy but manage to maintain a level of friendship in spite of it.

Of course, Durkon is kind of overdue for some character development so I wouldn't bet on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's a neat layout but needs stronger reference to the passage of time to keep you from reading it like a normal strip. But it's great once you figure out what it is doing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't see why Durkon would have to fight this cleric. While he worships an evil-ish god, I think the strips pretty much suggests the cleric is neutral, not evil, himself.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 13, 2010

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Click here for the full 1320x970 image.

Edited for clarity.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Nicely done!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Haha, somehow I totally missed the cat and V's bird fighting the first time through.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
He should have had the different phases of the sun on the left and gone left-> right instead of up->down. Who reads up and down?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Of course all the criticism he's getting will mean he'll go into no strip output mode for months now.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Indolent Bastard posted:

Edited for clarity.

This is certainly much more clear but it doesn't read well at all.

I don't see what was so difficult about the original strip. Did any of you who were having trouble reading it actually notice the sun panels at top? Stop skimming pages.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brannock posted:

This is certainly much more clear but it doesn't read well at all.

I don't see what was so difficult about the original strip. Did any of you who were having trouble reading it actually notice the sun panels at top? Stop skimming pages.

It was just a quick and dirty edit for those that couldn't see how the original flowed.

If he made it in the style I edited into (how each character's day went) I think it could read better, but whatever, it's only one strip.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Manyorcas posted:

If you only follow Durkon in the very, very confusing left to right order he seems to ask the lizard cleric for advice on the spell after his first attempt, so I imagine it was something a bit more complicated than that.

I think he's researching a mass version of Death Ward:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0672.html (panels 4 & 5)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wasn't really directing that comment towards you, sorry. I'm just bugged when people complain that they don't understand a page's flow and it turns out it's because they skim it without actually paying attention to stuff like the sun panels at top of the page.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Brannock posted:

I wasn't really directing that comment towards you, sorry. I'm just bugged when people complain that they don't understand a page's flow and it turns out it's because they skim it without actually paying attention to stuff like the sun panels at top of the page.

Because the eye doesn't' work that way.

I imagine if the webcomics thread isn't already having a field day with this they certainly would.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HKR posted:

Because the eye doesn't' work that way.

If I got it immediately but you didn't, do we have different kinds of eyes?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Nenonen posted:

If I got it immediately but you didn't, do we have different kinds of eyes?

I wasn't saying I was unable to follow it immediately, but it took a couple scans to figure out what was going on and how it should be read, which is a horrible idea for comics.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think Affl hit the nail on the head with this post:

Affi posted:

He should have had the different phases of the sun on the left and gone left-> right instead of up->down. Who reads up and down?

From what I can guess, it looks like people got confused because they were reading left to right, morning to evening, then moved down a panel and it was morning again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, my issue was that I was reading along the top row, as you normally would in a comic.

But that one with the stories rearranged to line up is just a bad solution; breaks the flow and means that you just end up reading each separately.

Compromise edit?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 14, 2010

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, my issue was that I was reading along the top row, as you normally would in a comic.

But that one with the stories rearranged to line up is just a bad solution; breaks the flow and means that you just end up reading each separately.

Compromise edit?

I like this edit. Very easy to follow the action.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

New comic!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Elan's dad is happy that his son's a hero, and unhappy that Nale's a villain? Or is he just unhappy that Nale is such a lovely villain?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Elan's dad is happy that his son's a hero, and unhappy that Nale's a villain? Or is he just unhappy that Nale is such a lovely villain?

I imagine, considering he is Elan's dad, that he's super-happy that he has a son who is a hero who can dramatically oppose him. Nale is a disappointment because he followed in his dad's footsteps and there is no drama in that.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I always Figured Elan's dad is a tyrant but he stands by his word (Family excepted) and understands the worth of his allies e.g. Evil, not a douche

Nale of course is a backstabbing Maniac who has no sense of Honor or Dramatic timing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Of course, it's also possible that he's just saying that to Elan because Elan's not bright enough to understand when he's being played.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Or he enjoys a son that is fun as opposed to a son who is a colossal tightwad with charisma as his dump stat?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Why would your mother lie to you, Elan? Maybe because she's Chaotic Good and thinks the lie is what's best for you?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think Tarquin, being Elan's father, considers PC to be well above Recurring Sub-Villain. He's proud of Elan for being so narratively important.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Pope Guilty posted:

Of course, it's also possible that he's just saying that to Elan because Elan's not bright enough to understand when he's being played.

He's not smart, but he knows enough dramatic troupe to know what's going on on a bigger scale.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Guys, remember, Tarquin's Lawful. He may be an evil oppressor of humanity, but he's a (somewhat) faithful, loyal, law-abiding evil oppressor of humanity.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

New episode!

... eh, I dunno. I think I like Haley better when she's tough and acts sensibly and isn't just the requisite girl character who cares about shoes and hair. Oh well, couldn't find anything to complain about in the last few hundred episodes, I guess it's about due.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh thank goodness, couldn't stand that haircut (or V's.)

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Whoa, tits.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

New episode!

... eh, I dunno. I think I like Haley better when she's tough and acts sensibly and isn't just the requisite girl character who cares about shoes and hair. Oh well, couldn't find anything to complain about in the last few hundred episodes, I guess it's about due.

I doubt it's that she just cares about shoes and hair, and more that she realizes that ravishing his beautiful queen-of-thieves lover in a castle tower on an enormous red silk mattress on her extremely long and flowing locks is basically what Elan's entirely life has been aspiring to, and she likes doing things for him.

I also like that Elan never questioned the haircut, cause his entire worldview is based on narrative structure.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I also like that Elan never questioned the haircut, cause his entire worldview is based on narrative structure.
I like the big garish lampshade Elan and Haley hang on the whole thing better, myself. It's a strip that loves playing dramatic conventions painfully straight and then they just go "haha, nah, that one was just a lovely haircut that made the most of a bad situation. Gotcha!"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But I thought the dramatic convention was that the girl has to be traumatized by the loss of her hair and overcome it later. This is like double lampshading what's going on here!

Although I guess this does highlight Haley's opportunism. First brush the minor inconvenience aside, but take an opportunity to improve things. Fine, that works.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

You know, liking to look good and dress in attractive clothing isn't a "girly" thing, nor is it a bad thing. Most people feel that way.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I think I can shove some more in. :smug:
Goddamn Elan, that dashing rogue class you picked up's starting to effect your dialog.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Cuchulain posted:

I think I can shove some more in. :smug:
Goddamn Elan, that dashing rogue class you picked up's starting to effect your dialog.

Knowing Elan, I doubt that was intentional.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
That... is a ridiculous amount of hair. The thought of laying on all that hair and then trying to sit up - let alone engage in the making of the beast with two backs - makes my scalp hurt.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

You know, liking to look good and dress in attractive clothing isn't a "girly" thing, nor is it a bad thing. Most people feel that way.

You forget you're talking to internet people, who are renowned for practically needing a chart to explain why bathing, shaving, and changing your clothes are necessary.

Vicissitude posted:

Knowing Elan, I doubt that was intentional.

I don't know, Elan and Haley tend to have some pretty good sex banter. Elan's not the sharpest knife in the "life skills" drawer, but wordplay and double entendre are his bread and butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

quote:

The New comic agrees.