Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
High School Musical is truly an abomination of a film, but that Riff was wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Plavski posted:

High School Musical is truly an abomination of a film, but that Riff was wonderful.

I'm going to watch it at some point today since I bought the riff and found my sister's DVD. Should be interesting.

Funny story: Years ago, me and my brother watched the premiere of the original movie out of curiosity to see just how Disney would handle a made-for-TV musical. We were cracking up and riffing on our own the entire time at various things (I remember we loved the over-the-top performance of Troy's Dad), and when it was over, we both agreed that there was no way anyone would like this. And that's why I'm not a stock analyst.

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

-Fish- posted:

Anyone going to the Nashville showing?

I'll be going. I'm annoyed I couldn't get tickets through the Fathom link. I googled 'Belcourt theater' and bought tickets through them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cole & Janet just did Jaws 3. Should be good for a watch - have your 3d glasses at the ready!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't remember - for these live events, do they release a recording or something that other people can watch? I really want to see Paul F. Tompkins on a rifftrax but I can't make it to a live event. Maybe he'll join them on a different one some day...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can't remember - for these live events, do they release a recording or something that other people can watch? I really want to see Paul F. Tompkins on a rifftrax but I can't make it to a live event. Maybe he'll join them on a different one some day...

They've released the first two - Plan 9 and the Christmas shorts special, so I figure they'll release this one eventually.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If its anything like the Weird Al bit it won't actually be that much/long. He'll probably just come out for one short. Although this does bode well for him actually doing a proper riff with Mike.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Can somebody tell me why the guys seem to be giving up on riffing mainstream features? When they started the site it was typically a new one every week or two. I just checked, and they've put out about 10 this entire year.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

Can somebody tell me why the guys seem to be giving up on riffing mainstream features? When they started the site it was typically a new one every week or two. I just checked, and they've put out about 10 this entire year.
How many shorts though? Also two theater showings and a couple of internet live events.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, they've been doing a TON of shorts lately and I'm sure the live stuff is a pain in the rear end to set up.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I'm aware of the shorts, but that's all they do now, and frankly I can only think of one or two shorts I enjoyed as much as the average feature. I'm just worried they're going to keep those dwindling until they decide to give it up and just do shorts and occasional live shows.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It's a lot easier to do 10 minutes of stuff for a dollar than 2 hours of stuff for four dollars, so I don't blame them for going this route, but I do hope they ramp up the features once the live shows start dying down.

I like to buy the shorts in bulk and watch them like a feature. This is a little more expensive but the crew can stay a lot fresher with a new public menace from the '50s every few minutes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, I like the shorts better than the full movies, anyway.

- I never have time to watch a movie in one sitting, too busy. 15/20 minute shorts are perfect for breakfast or dinner.
- Don't have to deal with sync up, which is a problem when I can't watch the movie in one sitting.
- Don't have to wait for the terrible movie to show up from Netflix.

Just more convenient.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, I like the shorts better than the full movies, anyway.

- I never have time to watch a movie in one sitting, too busy. 15/20 minute shorts are perfect for breakfast or dinner.
- Don't have to deal with sync up, which is a problem when I can't watch the movie in one sitting.
- Don't have to wait for the terrible movie to show up from Netflix.

Just more convenient.

Also you can load up the short on your portable media player of choice and take it with you. Another thing is that I think the shorts "feel" more like old school MST3K than the full length movie riffs.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

Also you can load up the short on your portable media player of choice and take it with you. Another thing is that I think the shorts "feel" more like old school MST3K than the full length movie riffs.

Agree, sometimes on MST3K the shorts were the best part of the episode. I can't believe that 100 dollars has been spent on Rifftrax shorts over the past few years. No regrets..they are worth it.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

You're not just shaking hands with danger, you're putting your hand right up danger's-HEY!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

fenix down posted:

You're not just shaking hands with danger, you're putting your hand right up danger's-HEY!
Why'd they give up on them animated things? I quite liked them; gave the riff some context.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
It figures that they'd announce a new feature riff right when I started complaining.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

It figures that they'd announce a new feature riff right when I started complaining.

Not that I expect it, but they do show the golden owl, so is this the original? I imagine it has to be that crappy remake (that also featured the owl from the original for no reason at all).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

IUG posted:

Not that I expect it, but they do show the golden owl, so is this the original? I imagine it has to be that crappy remake (that also featured the owl from the original for no reason at all).

It's the remake. They are going to murder this movie.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Great! I haven't seen it yet, I was hoping for a riff to lessen the pain of watching it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

IUG posted:

They put it in for fan service, which is good enough reason to do anything, right Hollywood?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Behonkiss posted:

Rifftrax.com posted:

RELEASE THE RIFFTRAX!! Yes, all too often a movie is reduced to a silly one-liner, a ridiculous catchphrase. This is a sad and unfair practice, demeaning to films with creative integrity and purpose. Fortunately, Clash of the Titans has neither! Upon viewing it, Sean Connery went out of his way to say “You are NOT the man now, dog!” When invited to a screening, Harrison Ford frantically searched for an excuse, finally issuing a panicked “I ALREADY WORK AROUND THE CLOCK!” When a friend asked Admiral Ackbar to come along and see Inception again, Ackbar suspected he was being tricked into watching this movie instead and said...well, you know what he said.

Our old Avatar friend Sam Worthington is along for the ride, maintaining his policy of only acting in front of green screens. Also, his policy of not actually acting. Also, his policy of letting his Australian accent slip through frequently, regardless of the role. Also, his policy of being a big charmless slack-jawed meathead. Also, his policy of general turdiness. Anyway, we’re big Sam Worthington fans around here.

Mike, Kevin, and Bill can’t help but think this movie would have been improved by a star from L.A. Law and a goofy mechanical owl.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping we'd get Clash of the Titans soon! Next up has GOT to be Airbender. It just has to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're not going to do Airbender until it hits DVD.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I'm still waiting for Ironman 2

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Mike and the guys just released an album on iTunes: The Rifftones; Music For Riffing.

1. Plans One Through Nine
2. Reefer Boy
3. Eat Me
4. (Party at the) House on Haunted Hill
5. Sparkly Vampires
6. Missile to Your Heart
7. Fine
8. Zombie Mambo
9. Love Theme from Jaws (When a Man Loves a Shark)

Dr. Bathroom
Dec 18, 2006

Master cylinder pants!
Finally hoping to finish a live riff tomorrow. I just happen to be back in southern Ontario, so I'll be driving to Buffalo. Looking forward to it!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Anyone seeing the live riff tomorrow night in Albany? I knew there were goons in the audience at Plan 9 as soon as Lowtax came on screen.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Heading down to Iowa City tonight to catch it, the last one with Reefer Madness was hilarious.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Golbez posted:

Heading down to Iowa City tonight to catch it, the last one with Reefer Madness was hilarious.

And lo, it came to pass that House on Haunted Hill was hilarious as well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Don't forget your digital goodies.

By the way, powdered milk sucks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I always thought the Coily short from the tail end of MST3K was the most batshit insane short they've ever done. Then they go and show a short that's the exact same plot only MORE INSANE! That Lynch line was brilliant.

Also, did anyone else's theater applaud at the "DID YOU KNOW? Vampires don't sparkle!" screen?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
VOTE CHRISTINE O' DONNELL

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gavok posted:

Also, did anyone else's theater applaud at the "DID YOU KNOW? Vampires don't sparkle!" screen?

Yes, we all did.

The talking paper bag was right up there with our old pal Coily. Except Coily didn't have a death wish.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Oh my god, that was one of the funniest that I've been to. I can't wait for this to go on DVD (and Reefer Madness as well). Just a bit disappointed that they didn't announce the next one already, like they did last show.

Turnout in CT was about double of the last showing, however. Hopefully that's a trend that's relative around the country.

NickThorn
Jan 11, 2005

I'm fucking wild about KEYKEYs.
Can someone explain the Rothlesburger joke :( I am not man enough to get it.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
"Are they still making Saw movies?

Actually, I don't think want to know."

Edit: He's a quarterback for the Steelers who's been accused of rape a couple times. He was suspended for several games this season because of those allegations.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I missed the digital goodies link. If nobody wants to post it, can someone PM it to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

DarkPrime posted:

I missed the digital goodies link. If nobody wants to post it, can someone PM it to me?

Same here, only I don't have PM. I want to see this bizarre short everyone's talking about.

• Locked thread