Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

GregNorc posted:

If said person went and did a master's at a fancy name brand uni, and pulled a 4.0 in said master's, would that be looked at rather than undergrad GPA institution?

no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Yeah LSAC only computes your undergraduate, not graduate, GPA.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Also aren't straight As the default in grad school or something

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

GregNorc posted:

Let's say, hypotheitically, someone has a not so great GPA (3.2ish) from a lower ranked (in the 30s) school.

If said person went and did a master's at a fancy name brand uni, and pulled a 4.0 in said master's, would that be looked at rather than undergrad GPA institution? Eg, now you're some guy from a fancy school with a 4.0 and decent LSAT rather than a guy with a (relatively) lovely GPA and unknown undergrad?

The rank of your undergrad is irrelevant regardless of whether you went to grad school. But, no, the schools don't get to report your master's GPA, so they don't care that it's a 4.0.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

GregNorc posted:

Let's say, hypotheitically, someone has a not so great GPA (3.2ish) from a lower ranked (in the 30s) school.

If said person went and did a master's at a fancy name brand uni, and pulled a 4.0 in said master's, would that be looked at rather than undergrad GPA institution? Eg, now you're some guy from a fancy school with a 4.0 and decent LSAT rather than a guy with a (relatively) lovely GPA and unknown undergrad?

Said person should go get a Masters in Accounting at a fancy school, get a job with one of the Big 4 accounting firms, and live happily ever after with soul crushing hours.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tetrix posted:

Said person should go get a Masters in Accounting at a fancy school, get a job with one of the Big 4 accounting firms, and live happily ever after with soul crushing hours.

Accounting schools use LSAT?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

GregNorc posted:

His point was that the hypothetical person should not go to law school.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

GregNorc posted:

I remember the last time you attempted to convince the thread you wanted to go to law school.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Go or don't, make up your mind, stop teasing us with this rollercoaster (it's a bad rollercoaster)

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
living large and still drinking heavily in Cambridge; for those thinking of going: it is not as bad as they say it will be.

i loving freaked out and banned myself numerous times and studied for the LSAT like a maniac for this stuff.

sure, you should probably do all of that. i guess. i don't know.

just don't become a total spazz like me and worry about the whole admissions process so much.

if you have the numbers, you will get it.

i am 6 weeks in of my 1L year, and people here really aren't as intelligent as i imagined them to be, based on this thread.

everyone is much more normal. sure, they are perpetual high-achievers, but a cool slacker like me can get in too!

and, no matter what people in this thread say, there are most certainly jobs for us 99th percentile types.

i'll take questions for like 20 minutes, but honestly i am already bored with this post.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

living large and still drinking heavily in Cambridge; for those thinking of going: it is not as bad as they say it will be. [...]

i am 6 weeks in of my 1L year, and people here really aren't as intelligent as i imagined them to be, based on this thread [...]

and, no matter what people in this thread say, there are most certainly jobs for us 99th percentile types.

Yeah, people at HLS are not as smart as commonly perceived if any of them think their opinion on the job market 6 weeks into 1L is worth poo poo. Agreed.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

GregNorc posted:

Why would you go to all of that effort and spend all that money to go to law school?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Izzy! You're back! Kill any poor people lately?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

ragle posted:

Yeah, people at HLS are not as smart as commonly perceived if any of them think their opinion on the job market 6 weeks into 1L is worth poo poo. Agreed.
sorry, i must have misrepresented myself.

I was not intending to claim first-hand knowledge of the job market. I was simply asserting that those of us fortunate enough to attend a top school may not, based on my 6 weeks here, have to worry about the doom and gloom purported in this thread.

Of course, I won't go through any of the 1L hiring hurricane for a few months, but I was just relying on the testimony of older students here....

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Save me jeebus posted:

Izzy! You're back! Kill any poor people lately?
No need. They are all economically relegated to the further reaches of town.

(And let's not pretend like this is not a good thing)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

No need. They are all economically relegated to the further reaches of town.

(And let's not pretend like this is not a good thing)

Boston is a lovely, cramped New York City with more white people, worse drivers, and lovely mass transportation. Cambridge is like Brooklyn - gentrified as gently caress and annoying to get to.

Boston ain't poo poo.

Go Yankees.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Boston is a lovely, cramped New York City with more white people, worse drivers, and lovely mass transportation. Cambridge is like Brooklyn - gentrified as gently caress and annoying to get to.

Boston ain't poo poo.

Go Yankees.
My friend, you are preaching to the converted.

My family has been in Brooklyn since 1846. Boston is like my arch-nemesis. Nevertheless, Columbia is no Harvard, and I wanna make the big bucks!

(My grandfather died last week, and I had to take the train down to Brooklyn for the proceedings. It was a terrible trip, by every account. I wish I was still in NYC.)

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Clerkship with Federal Magistrate Judge. Worth it or no? How much does it pay?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 20, 2017

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

GregNorc posted:

One of the MS programs I looked at is fully paid. As in, free tuition + stipend. And I possibly could get law school paid for as well if I agree to do public service (which is the only reason I'd want to go to begin with), assuming a decent LSAT score. But I "only" have a 3.2 so it would be a stretch.

Don't worry, unless I'm either going for free or suddenly discover I have been given a hundred grand, and even then, only if it's a decent school, so odds are low.
Honest question:

Why do you preface the GPA that your earned with quotes? Is there some kind of qualifier that you would like to elaborate upon? Do you have a hardship story?

I ask because, for better or (most likely) worse, 3.2 is your GPA in this process. And, to be honest, it is not great.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It's to highlight the dumb assertion that a 3.2 is bad.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
UPDATE:

I accepted Latham a few hours ago.

Will I be fired unceremoniously? Stay tuned!

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

diospadre posted:

It's to highlight the dumb assertion that a 3.2 is bad.
Many a good man has been shut out of the T10 with a 3.2 and a 170. It is hardly a matter of flippancy, particularly coming from the applicant himself. Perhaps he should own his low GPA, rather than try to quote it away.

(Save Northwestern - that bunch are such LSAT bitches. kill a man with a 171, and you're in!)

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

The Warszawa posted:

Boston is a lovely, cramped New York City
What?

quote:

with more white people,
Ok yes

quote:

worse drivers,
yes

quote:

and lovely mass transportation.

yes

quote:

Boston ain't poo poo.
You shut your whore mouth

Go Yankees.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Many a good man has been shut out of the T10 with a 3.2 and a 170. It is hardly a matter of flippancy, particularly coming from the applicant himself. Perhaps he should own his low GPA, rather than try to quote it away.

(Save Northwestern - that bunch are such LSAT bitches. kill a man with a 171, and you're in!)

Wait, unrelated question: didn't HLS completely go Abbott and Costello on its grading policy? No grades! H/P/LP/F with GPA values! Published GPA values! Unpublished GPA values!

Yeah, the story has been kind of bizarre.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Wait, unrelated question: didn't HLS completely go Abbott and Costello on its grading policy? No grades! H/P/LP/F with GPA values! Published GPA values! Unpublished GPA values!

How is any of that "Abbott and Costello"? I did the "who's on first" play when I was 9, and I just don't see it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

How is any of that "Abbott and Costello"? I did the "who's on first" play when I was 9, and I just don't see it.

Maybe Laurel and Hardy would be a better comparison.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

mrtoodles posted:

Clerkship with Federal Magistrate Judge. Worth it or no? How much does it pay?

Is it in the town/ city/ district you want to practice in?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Maybe Laurel and Hardy would be a better comparison.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I was not intending to claim first-hand knowledge of the job market. I was simply asserting that those of us fortunate enough to attend a top school may not, based on my 6 weeks here, have to worry about the doom and gloom purported in this thread.

Of course, I won't go through any of the 1L hiring hurricane for a few months, but I was just relying on the testimony of older students here....

Below-median (all P's) 2L here. Spent the better part of the summer going over career books, doing informational interviews, researching firms and otherwise preparing for EIP.

Spent my Flyout Week on here and 5 Second Films.

Good luck.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Vander posted:

Is it in the town/ city/ district you want to practice in?

Yes.

I guess when I ask "is it worth it" I mean, is it worth it in terms of long-term career stuff to go clerk with a Federal Magistrate rather than going straight into biglaw?

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
This post should probably be added to the OP of the next iteration of this thread:

Imagine that you are 17 in 1986, blasting across the wastelands of North Jersey in your parents' Ford Taurus to see your girl, cigarette in your mouth, whiskey in the side pocket of your Levi jean jacket, and you have this song cranked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy4yXNWWruI

Now, forget all of that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Izztfansratln takes it in the rear end from Napoleon

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Izztfansratln takes it in the rear end from Napoleon
No seriously, though....

If you wanna go to law school, you should. But if you wanna kill yourself and wanna die, then you probably should not!

In other words, law school is not the answer to existential questions.

You just end up drinking more and doing more drugs and trying to forget how cool you once were before doing this!

email me if you wanna discuss the process of self-destruction through law school further: izzyfnstradlin@yahoo.com

Edit: also, listen to this song

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 16, 2010

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Warszawa posted:

Boston ain't poo poo.

Go Yankees.

stab me in my beating heart, southern brother

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

No seriously, though....

If you wanna go to law school, you should. But if you wanna kill yourself and wanna die, then you probably should not!

In other words, law school is not the answer to existential questions.

You just end up drinking more and doing more drugs and trying to forget how cool you once were before doing this!

email me if you wanna discuss the process of self-destruction through law school further: izzyfnstradlin@yahoo.com

Edit: also, listen to this song

goddamn you're dumb

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Martha Minow is really bad at her job. I miss Kagan.

Napoleon I
Oct 31, 2005

Goons of the Fifth, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now.
So did Prussia

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

ewr2870 posted:

Martha Minow is really bad at her job. I miss Kagan.

bad how? she's related to a friend of mine so maybe I can tell her to tell her to shape up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Petey posted:

stab me in my beating heart, southern brother

I would but the loving T is late again.

Edit: Fun fact - my torts professor had Chris Coons as a student "and didn't realize he was running in Delaware until that...nice lady won the Republican primary."

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 16, 2010