Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was thinking of Ms. Thigh Arms here.

Apparently she and everyone else in the crowd was trying to sabotage Anikan's podracer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
So wait a sec, Backstreet Boys actually had a musical number? Jesus Christ.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Mister_Eel posted:

So wait a sec, Backstreet Boys actually had a musical number? Jesus Christ.

No they didn't. Jesus Christ.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/*NSYNC

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I think Karen Traviss would pretty much hate the newest Clone Wars episode because in addition to being pacifists it turns out the Mandalorians actually train certain kids as "leaders and peacekeepers" from birth, presumably by snatching the away from their loving homes in the dead o fnight just like the dik'utla jetiise conquistadors and ahfdjhasfaaahhadlp

Also, I wonder if it will turn out that Ahsoka has Anakin's DL lovin' with Padme all figured out at some point. Probably not because this is Star Wars and no one really cares about the logistical details of that poo poo anymore. Well, no one who is drawing a paycheck from Jorge, at least. I expect fan "theories" (i.e. dumb bullshit) on the topic for years to come.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 16, 2010

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That seems like a pretty direct "gently caress you" right there. We should all email Karen and tell her about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

That seems like a pretty direct "gently caress you" right there. We should all email Karen and tell her about it.

I'm sure she'll cry herself to sleep clutching her kiwi talking Boba Fett helmet.

TFUII demo was pretty mediocre btw if anyone is interested. It played a lot like the first one but with better graphics and the mind trick power.

If anyone is interested as well, the new Star Wars: Knight Errant comic shows a lot of promise. The only problem is that the main character looks like Aubrey Plaza.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got compared to a Westboro Baptist protester for badmouthing TFUII on the old forum I still visit.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Casimir Radon posted:

I got compared to a Westboro Baptist protester for badmouthing TFUII on the old forum I still visit.

Tell them to play Dark Forces II and then tell them to think about how the developers of TFUII used crutches.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

If anyone is interested as well, the new Star Wars: Knight Errant comic shows a lot of promise. The only problem is that the main character looks like Aubrey Plaza.

It's done by the same people who did the KOTOR comic right? That was the only Star Wars comic I ever bothered to read and I loved it.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

From Gizmodo: It's time to forgive George Lucas

http://gizmodo.com/5664218/its-time-to-forgive-george-lucas?skyline=true&s=i

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Kloaked00 posted:

NEVAR! :byodame:

Nevertheless, this article does make a claim that I've made myself: I don't believe that George is just in it for the money. I think he turned out the prequels, cutesy CGI crap and all, because he actually wants to please children - not just sell them toys. The concessions he made to his children reflect his desire to create something for them; he's trying to be a modern-day Lewis Carroll or J.M. Barrie or A.A. Milne, and I feel so sorry for him because he's failing.

But for all that, I know that the time to forgive Lucas will only come if he shows us true repentance.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When Lucas announces an official rollback of the Star Wars canon within the years 50-1 BBY then I will forgive him.

Until then I can nerd rage about him all I want.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

But for all that, I know that the time to forgive Lucas will only come if he shows us true repentance.

This is when he dies and his will has stapled to it the original, complete scripts to Episodes 1-3 and a handwritten note that says "EU/=Cannon"?

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Kloaked00 posted:

Gizmodo posted:

What I can say now, after rewatching the best film of the series on the occasion of its 30th anniversary, The Empire Strikes Back, is that George Lucas is directly responsible for one of the things that has given me the greatest, most quantifiable joy (if by "money spent" alone) in my life and no one—not even George Lucas—can sully the goodness that he created.

Wasn't Lucas's main role on "Empire" that of bankrolling the production? He's only credited as "Executive Producer" and as the source for the story (but not the screenplay); IMDB also notes he was an uncredited editor (one of three).

I think it's time to stop thinking that George Lucas made some great movies.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Barudak posted:

This is when he dies and his will has stapled to it the original, complete scripts to Episodes 1-3 and a handwritten note that says "EU/=Cannon"?

I hate this line of thinking. Some of the worst of the EU is better than most of the stuff Lucas has thought up of over the last 15 years. And the best of the EU can be pretty drat good.

Need I point out that Lucas puts The Force Unleashed on par with movie canon?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hate this line of thinking. Some of the worst of the EU is better than most of the stuff Lucas has thought up of over the last 15 years. And the best of the EU can be pretty drat good.

Need I point out that Lucas puts The Force Unleashed on par with movie canon?

I was just going more for a fresh reboot angle. One that in particular would have the benefit of starting with a complete set of films 1-6 with rather than having to adjust to 3 films being added decades after the first 3.

Oh, and TFU obviously is cannon because its fantastic storytelling who the hell knows. Apparently Lucas Arts can't do alternate universes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can somebody hand over the proof that Lucas considers TFU movie level, I need some more poo poo to throw at these bastards.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I honestly thought it was pretty boring. Wish they'd bring back KOTOR.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Barudak posted:

I was just going more for a fresh reboot angle. One that in particular would have the benefit of starting with a complete set of films 1-6 with rather than having to adjust to 3 films being added decades after the first 3.

This would only make things worse. We would all be better off if they had just let Star Wars be Star Wars. If the special editions had done nothing but fix visual errors and improve picture quality. Basically, if the last fifteen years of Star Wars movies had just not happened, that'd be about perfect.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maybe if Lucas officially sanctioned someone like Timothy Zhan to write the official prequels for Star Wars in novel form only then it would have been cool.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Azzmo posted:

They were playing the odds. Since about a third of all things that happen in the entire galaxy happen on Tattooine it follows that the force was discovered there. Hyperspace engines were also invented there, as well as the first functional Republic and the highest calorie-per acre strain of grains. Tatooine also hosted the First Contact between humanity and an alien species and Mos Eisely was where the high-density metals that would be used in space ship hulls were first formulated.

Haha thats a good joke.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I disagree. KotoR played itself out pretty well. The crucible arc could have gone a little longer without the editorial mandate from Dark Horse to cut off at 50 issues, but the major players had pretty well resolved all their arcs, and the series really was all about them. Malak, Revan, the Mandalorians were all ultimately backdrop. And I don't think we need to see a bunch of battles like Malachor V when we already know what happened.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Just finished the TFU II demo, and yeah it's just a prettier version of the original, with more "OMGWTFSOCOOL" stuff thrown in.

That said, I like it. I liked the first one, too, canon making GBS threads aside. I'll probably buy it used.

I think it's pretty safe to say if you enjoyed the first one because it was fun to decimate legions of stormtroopers/destroy poo poo, you'll like this one too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, let's shitcan everything that isn't amazing on the first issue or episode. God knows if they don't get it right there it's going nowhere.

Is the KOTOR comic any good? I haven't read that much Star Wars stuff in a long time except a few issues of Invasion because I wanted to see how the whole NJO thing faired in its original intended medium. I used to read the Rogue Squadron comics when they were still coming out and they were amazing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Yeah, let's shitcan everything that isn't amazing on the first issue or episode. God knows if they don't get it right there it's going nowhere.

Those two thoughts weren't connected, but thanks for being an rear end.

And yeah, KOTOR was a great comic.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I like to pretend to myself when people ask Lucas if something is canon, he's thinking "There are a lot of cannons in it!" and says "Yes".

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sorry, I honestly couldn't help it when someone with a TNG avatar talks about something being boring in the first issue and then seemingly asks for an older iteration back.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
A friend of mine went to an R.A. Salvatore signing today, and this was what he said:

"I've been in a bad mood ever since I killed a wookie. That's going to be on my gravestone. 'He killed Chewie! That bastard!'"

I love the fact that he just openly jokes about how half the Star Wars EU fans hate him for it. :3:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
They should blame the idiots who wrote Chewbacca into a corner anyways, thus marking him for death.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
"Where's Chewie in this book?"
"Oh uh, he's away, visiting family, from the Star Wars holiday special"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Glad to see people say that, I read and liked the first couple of trades and liked the characters and story a lot, though the art kepts swinging from excellent to poor, getting downright terrible in that trans-era crossover they did.

What's actually going on in SW comics now, I heard Legacy ended? I thought the sales were good, did the story just end? Perhaps it was never meant to be ongoing.

And how's The Clone Wars TV going? I liked the first couple of DVDs and was reminded of it in Toys R Us when I saw the toy for Pre Vizsla, who's existence could indicate it's good or gone to stupid. Personally I'm willing to buy into a "Darksaber" swinging Mandalorian voiced by the director of Iron Man, but the same time it might be the realisation of stupid fan fantasy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The general consensus is that the third season is pretty weak so far. The first two episodes about clones on Kamino were good, but ever since it's been mostly HOT DIPLOMATIC ACTION. They're probably trying to branch out a bit, and I can understand that, but they should at least intersperse the "political" episodes with some "action" ones. It's really growing stale.

Also, this happened:

Yes, that is Greedo. And yes, that is the blue opera patron Lucas played in ROTS. His name is Baron Papanoida and he's the Chairman of the Pantoran Assembly.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also, this happened:

Yes, that is Greedo. And yes, that is the blue opera patron Lucas played in ROTS. His name is Baron Papanoida and he's the Chairman of the Pantoran Assembly.

Who shoots first?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

The general consensus is that the third season is pretty weak so far. The first two episodes about clones on Kamino were good, but ever since it's been mostly HOT DIPLOMATIC ACTION. They're probably trying to branch out a bit, and I can understand that, but they should at least intersperse the "political" episodes with some "action" ones. It's really growing stale.

Also, this happened:

Why do they continue to recycle old characters? Greedo seemed like a young punk in ANH, someone who was still wet under the ears as far as bounty hunting was concerned.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Glad to see people say that, I read and liked the first couple of trades and liked the characters and story a lot, though the art kepts swinging from excellent to poor, getting downright terrible in that trans-era crossover they did.

What's actually going on in SW comics now, I heard Legacy ended? I thought the sales were good, did the story just end? Perhaps it was never meant to be ongoing.

AFAIK, Dark Times and Invasion are on some bizarre schedule, KOTOR is done, Rebellion was canned, and they're doing a mini-series starring Jango and Boba. It's nothing special, but the art is noteworthy.

Dark Horse seems to have some bizarre 50 issue limit with SW comics, so yes, Legacy is technically over, but they're doing a 6(?) issue mini-series to tie things up. I believe it starts in december.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Mister_Eel posted:

Why do they continue to recycle old characters? Greedo seemed like a young punk in ANH, someone who was still wet under the ears as far as bounty hunting was concerned.

Well, you can recycle Greedo as much as you want. His ultimate fate is being recycled by Jabbas bowels after being turned into space pepsi for Jabba.

Uh. Do Hutts even poop :gonk:.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Casimir Radon posted:

Can somebody hand over the proof that Lucas considers TFU movie level, I need some more poo poo to throw at these bastards.
Here you go:

Time Magazine posted:

the video game will serve as George Lucas' official median between 2005's Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith and 1977's Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope.

IMDB posted:

Writers:
George Lucas (characters and universe), George Lucas (story)

G-canon is, officially, anything that has GL's direct input or is produced by him, and I'd say that being written by him qualifies as direct input.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

AFAIK, Dark Times and Invasion are on some bizarre schedule, KOTOR is done, Rebellion was canned, and they're doing a mini-series starring Jango and Boba. It's nothing special, but the art is noteworthy.

Dark Horse seems to have some bizarre 50 issue limit with SW comics, so yes, Legacy is technically over, but they're doing a 6(?) issue mini-series to tie things up. I believe it starts in december.

It got 50 issues though, Rogue Squadron didn't even get that, it had 35, and it was during the time period where Star Wars was very popular. Tales of the Jedi only got 34 issues as well. Dark Horse is a weird publisher too so who knows but I think they like to limit runs to cut down on printing and getting stuck with backstock.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just wish they'd announced it sooner. With KOTOR, you knew it was heading towards a big conclusion before they announced that 50 would be the last issue. Legacy was kind of out of the blue, right as things had finally picked up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think KOTOR was cut to make way for the bad Old Republic tie in comic. Can't have the kids getting confused now can we?