Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Biggz posted:

When I finished building my X-Wing, I didn't just carry it upstairs... I flew it, while making flying sounds. :cool:

Well, as I mentioned, I bought the little 14 dollar Builder set that lets you make a plane or a helicopter or a speed boat. I built all three, ending with the helicopter, and every one of them had extra parts left over.

So I built the airplane again, which had the most extra parts, and then I used the extra parts to make it better.

It now has in addition to the front propeller: two jet engines, and a REAR propeller...you know, in case it gets stuck in the water and the other two engines don't work. It's also got lots of things on the wings that would likely make it less than aerodynamic.

I need to buy more sets, or this thing will never get into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I've said it before, but I think the Creator sets are just great. You get a good mix of normal parts with lots of useful detailed bits for decorations and stuff. Excellent value if you're just getting back into lego.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I grew up loving LEGO and I gave all my old LEGO sets to my sister 14 years ago. She now has 5 kids and they all grew up playing with my old LEGO and adding to it now and then at Christmas and birthdays---LEGO is the best gift to receive when you are a kid. My nieces and nephews call me up all the time and we play LEGO for hours, here is what we were playing with last night.

Many years ago we created "Ghost LEGO" where LEGO men are turned into ghosts by the guy on the skeleton horse with that wand thingy. Once a ghost, the LEGO man joins the head bad guy in the hunt for new people to turn into ghosts. We turn the LEGO man's head around within his helmet to make him a ghost.

They also collect heads

You have to be very fast to escape the ghosts so I built this hot rod for my guy

My 4 year old niece is also a good guy and we are a team, this is her hot rod

My 7 year old nephew made this, the ladder in the middle launches the alligator at enemies (don't ask me how) and he chases his sisters and I around, throwing that damned alligator at us

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

ApathyGifted posted:

To hell with you people, Star Trek is the only true answer.

Or Futurama, but that's never going to happen :(

I was thinking last night how awesome it would be to see a Simpsons/Futurama line of lego sets along the lines of scaled down modular sets involving places like Apu's Kwik-E Mart, Homer's work station and nuclear reactor, or Bart's tree house.

Someone brought up sigourney Weaver; Lego Alien sets would be tight!

A lego Ecto 1 would hold me over until such a day when I can fill the Simpson home with xenomorphs.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

jet sanchEz posted:

We turn the LEGO man's head around within his helmet to make him a ghost.

My brother and I used to do this with the space men too. It would freak me out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So many teeth marks on those legos, just as god intended.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

So many teeth marks on those legos, just as god intended.

Brick separators are for pussies.

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Pehther posted:

I need to buy more sets, or this thing will never get into space.

We need a space helicopter, asap! (with pics!)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Ha, that's awesome. My girlfriend's favorite thing to do when we play around is stick helicoptor blades on a jeep and fly it around. The jeepocoptor.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ha, that's awesome. My girlfriend's favorite thing to do when we play around is stick helicoptor blades on a jeep and fly it around. The jeepocoptor.

I had a cool little police vehicle I cooked up when I was about ten. The wings and engines were all on hinges so it converted effortlessly between plane, speedboat, and hovercraft. If I ever find it again, I'll post pictures.

I can't wait to go through all my old Legos...I wonder if I'll come across any nightmarish creations I've forgotten about.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Pehther posted:

Such a thing exists?

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

jet sanchEz posted:

Such a thing exists?

Indeed it does.

I discovered it on my visit to the local Lego store.

I still use my teeth, it just isn't right otherwise.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

You guys never had brick separators as kids? :psyduck:

I had a few, but they would never help me get the 2x1 plates apart. :saddowns:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
I used to use the brick separator for pieces I couldn't get with my teeth.

Now I use a pocket knife for anything I can't get with my fingers.

I don't know if they changed the material or what but the new stuff (Got back into Lego around 2005) seems to start cracking pretty soon. I think in many cases it's due to them putting more stress on them as structural pieces. Some of the arches on the big Millennium Falcon have splits in their bases, and I've only rebuilt that thing twice.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

jet sanchEz posted:

My 7 year old nephew made this, the ladder in the middle launches the alligator at enemies (don't ask me how) and he chases his sisters and I around, throwing that damned alligator at us

I love the gun on the front of this. Your nephew rocks.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

I love the gun on the front of this. Your nephew rocks.

The gun is cool, but an alligator launching ladder? gently caress YEAH!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Taeke posted:

I'd love an entire thread full of little kids' Lego creations. Especially if they were given assignments like "depict the 2008 vice presidential debate out of Lego."

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Do they make that alligator anymore? I love the old gator, shark, dragon...
This thread makes me want to buy a bunch of old sets that I used to have. Maybe clear out the stuff I have now, like Jabba's Palace. No idea why I have it...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Do they make that alligator anymore?
The Pirates sets have them.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:
My mom (about a thousand miles away) had a friend of hers (who lives a town over from me) visit. She (my mom's friend) asked if there was anything she (my mom -- pronouns! :argh:) wanted taken back to NC.

Shortly, I should have my giant chlorine tub full of Legos (circa mid-80s to mid-90s)! :dance: Oh, the things my soon-to-be four-year-old son and I will create!!! :3:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pehther posted:

It's just not Lego until you're at risk of aspirating a 1x1 plate

(done this)

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Taeke posted:

The first prototype had sharks instead of an alligator but it was redesigned because sharks need to be in water to live and alligators don't. Pretty hilarious kid, you should see his sketches for the pumpkins we are carving next week.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

jet sanchEz posted:

The first prototype had sharks instead of an alligator but it was redesigned because sharks need to be in water to live and alligators don't. Pretty hilarious kid, you should see his sketches for the pumpkins we are carving next week.

Take some pics of that and upload them (bothc sketches and results). Hell, it might even be inspirational. ^^

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Phy posted:

(done this)

I gave my nephew the free minifig I got with the purchase of my two lego sets at TRU...and watched as he very nearly swallowed it's head taking it back apart to play with it and put it back together again. drat near gave me a heart attack.

yeah, that's what nails are for.

I need to show that kid the alligator launching ladder...only he'd probably find a way to combine his love of lego and hotwheels to turn it into a hot-wheels launching ladder.

Edit: I just cancled my gym membership, so that I can afford the Taj Mahal three months sooner. This is an expensive, expensive hobby.

\/\/Jarts are awesome, but my sister won't let me give our old set to my nephew. :(

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 16, 2010

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

Phy posted:

(done this)

Toys just aren't dangerous enough anymore.

And I own a set of Jarts.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm 99% done replacing all the missing parts on the Intergalactic Command Base I got as part of a big lot 7 years ago. One grey stanchion and slightly shorter hoses are all that's left. We built it for the first time ever yesterday. I lusted after this set all through my childhood, so it was a rather gratifying moment. Those trans-red castle shields are stupidly expensive, $2-3 each.

We also gave one of the MMM's a bath:

One of my son's friends told him, "I wish your dad was my dad." :shobon:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Sloppy posted:

one of the MMM's

Wait, how many do you have? :psyduck:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Tanith posted:

Wait, how many do you have? :psyduck:

One from childhood and one from a lot in SA-Mart. I actually meant to get rid of the second one to cover the lot cost, but I never got around to it.

Anyone want to trade me some Classic Space or Blacktron I for a Mega Core Magnetizer? :v:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Sloppy posted:

I'm 99% done replacing all the missing parts on the Intergalactic Command Base I got as part of a big lot 7 years ago. One grey stanchion and slightly shorter hoses are all that's left. We built it for the first time ever yesterday. I lusted after this set all through my childhood, so it was a rather gratifying moment. Those trans-red castle shields are stupidly expensive, $2-3 each.

We also gave one of the MMM's a bath:

One of my son's friends told him, "I wish your dad was my dad." :shobon:
Those shields are so pricy because they break so easily. I'm too young for classic space, but I inherited a ton of it from my (much) older brother, and just about all of those things were broken.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

donut posted:

Those shields are so pricy because they break so easily. I'm too young for classic space, but I inherited a ton of it from my (much) older brother, and just about all of those things were broken.

I think I had one from an early Castle set, and its handle is snapped off, too.

The TrRed and Clear shields are even more expensive ($7 for clear ones!) than old dark gray because they were even more uncommon. TrRed in 4 space sets released in one year only, and Clear from a handful of sets released in the 70s.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
I would love to see "The Seven Wonders Of The World" series to back up the Architecture series. I'd also like to see the model team come back now that Technic has gone studless

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Phy posted:

(done this)

You turn it 20 degrees, chip, 20 degrees, chip... This is how I used to cut my nails as a youngin'. Plsht "Brick Separators".

Edit: ^oops.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 17, 2010

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

If my wife wouldn't have skinned me I would have order everything Mechanized Brick put out. I guess I will have to get off my rear end and scratch build one..

http://www.mechanizedbrick.com/mb.html

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Thanks Mascot. Now all I need is the base and Smash 'n Grab. And Gold Heist.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
drat, thats some good prices. Where was that?

I saw a clearance at Wal-Mart for the Hyperspeed Pursuit. The clearance price was $49.96. One cent cheaper than the normal price. Do they really think that will fool anyone?

Edit: gently caress that looks like Wal-Mart price tags. I'm checking out my local one today.

\/\/\/God drat it, stop making we want to buy more Lego sets!

Evek fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2010

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Just as a heads up, TRU is doing a "Buy 1 Get 1 50% off" on City, World Racers, Atlantis, Kingdom, Toy Story, Technic, Duplo, Prince of Persia, Cars and Hero Factory through the 23rd.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

This year's advent calendar:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4057230

...is that a naked Santa in the shower?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That is a naked Santa in the shower. You'll also get a sword either from the kid with a drumset or from the helicopter apparently.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Thought you guys might like today's Baby Blues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, a newspaper comic actually making a reference to something and knowing what the hell they're talking about and actually making it fairly entertaining at the same time?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsI6wUEakP0
edit: jerks disabling embedding on the other one...

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 17, 2010