Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Still waiting on someone to get punched in the dick :colbert:

Punched in the boner, not the dick. Get it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The tension remains. Are there still boners present in the van?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If there is, both of them must be congratulated on keeping it up among the yipping of tiny dogs mumble mouthed exclamations and the terrifying muffled talking of Nice Pete.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Remember when Onstad presented a fried chicken recipe as narrated by Nice Pete? This one?

Trip report: It's pretty awesome. Granted, I didn't get the color to the perfect George Lopez level, but there was caramelized skin and juicy flesh and a wonderful smell while it all took place. I paired it with penne pasta with walnut dressing and some down home green beans, and a tall glass of water.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm getting pretty nervous about the future of Achewood right now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The latest comic says "continues", so it'll continue. I know there's been a boner in the back of the van for three months now, but don't sweat it. Who knows, maybe he's been ducking Andy Larson lately. You ever piss off a weatherman?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The latest comic says "continues", so it'll continue. I know there's been a boner in the back of the van for three months now, but don't sweat it. Who knows, maybe he's been ducking Andy Larson lately. You ever piss off a weatherman?

Old man needs to call a doctor if he's had that boner for 3 months.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Achewood is dead, long live Achewood.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I guess Onstad is concentrating on the stuff that pays, like the cookbook, vol 3, etc.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Happy Hippo posted:

I guess Onstad is concentrating on the stuff that pays, like the cookbook, vol 3, etc.

Don't forget the fanflow! :v:

No but seriously Twitter @achewood says he became an uncle a few days ago. Family First, dudes.

EDIT: VVVVVVVVVVV Lollll :iceburn:

Zefiel fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 13, 2010

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wasn't there a much smaller gap than this when he became a father?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At least there's an Onstad that still produces something :v:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

IF you think these dudes are being mean sprited, don't look at assetbar :ssh:

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm pretty down with Achewood, and have bought some of the books and donated before to support the guy. I was thinking about throwing some cash his way this latest round, and am kind of glad I didn't. Two weeks between updates? Has he said that he's giving it up or what? Is there any reason he's not regularly updating anymore?

I don't expect it like clockwork or whatever but I don't want to give him cash for the strip if he's going to wind it up right away. I mean, he says he'll post the next one "on Monday" and then doesn't get it out till Friday what on earth

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I think he's clearly burnt out. Being burnt out on something you used to love doing is really hard to admit, even to yourself. :( I've seen this pattern with too many sites before, eventually he'll either apologize for not updating as much anymore, promise a more regular update schedule, and then that same message will stay up there for years while there's no updates; or he'll get back into it again.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Teodor is Onstad, Nathan's dong is writing Achewood. Teodor doesn't want to do it, but feels obligated by circumstance.

It is a parable, folks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
To be fair, each of the last two updates has had about three times the material as one of the older-style strips. If you look at it in those two-row chunks, that's still averages out to the equivalent of a twice-weekly update schedule - not great, but it could be worse. As always, it's too early to declare Achewood dead.

(I'm still rooting for the 'angry weatherman' theory.)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
what is the Angry Weatherman Theory besides sounding like a prog-rock band?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

To be fair, each of the last two updates has had about three times the material as one of the older-style strips. If you look at it in those two-row chunks, that's still averages out to the equivalent of a twice-weekly update schedule - not great, but it could be worse. As always, it's too early to declare Achewood dead.

(I'm still rooting for the 'angry weatherman' theory.)

I don't know where this "longer updates are better" thing comes from. I really don't mind shorter strips. Not every update has to be 20 panels. A while back Onstad gave writing shorter strips a shot and I guess he didn't cotton to it.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Happy Hippo posted:

I don't know where this "longer updates are better" thing comes from. I really don't mind shorter strips. Not every update has to be 20 panels. A while back Onstad gave writing shorter strips a shot and I guess he didn't cotton to it.
I think Farmer Crack-rear end is trying to say Onstad is putting in a comparable amount of work.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

This format isn't really working very well, then, as that's not a great trade-off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's pretty much no way this year has had as much material as say, 2007, even factoring longer strips. I don't feel entitled to more achewood than I'm getting, necessarily, but it's a fact we're not getting very much right now.

It's a shame because I don't think the quality has declined at all, but the huge time between updates during ongoing narratives has turned off a lot of my friends from reading because it affects the pacing quite badly for them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lurdiak posted:

There's pretty much no way this year has had as much material as say, 2007, even factoring longer strips. I don't feel entitled to more achewood than I'm getting, necessarily, but it's a fact we're not getting very much right now.
Granted, and I'm not saying we're getting as much as we used to, just that averaged out it's not dead, just infrequent.

Sigma-X posted:

what is the Angry Weatherman Theory besides sounding like a prog-rock band?

Who knows, maybe he's been ducking Andy Larson lately. You ever piss off a weatherman?

but honestly i think i like it better as a band name

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

While everyone's complaining about the lack of updates, I would like to personally thank Onstad for a valid rationalization of my current lifestlye.

"For twelve hours my rear end ain't smokin', slippin' down gold Johnny Blues, dry-steamin*, grufflin' the popper sampler at Burger Crater, or takin' in impure ideas through the eyes. If you think about it, bein' in bed as long as possible is the healthiest thing I do each day."

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192009

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JHomer722 posted:

While everyone's complaining about the lack of updates, I would like to personally thank Onstad for a valid rationalization of my current lifestlye.

"For twelve hours my rear end ain't smokin', slippin' down gold Johnny Blues, dry-steamin*, grufflin' the popper sampler at Burger Crater, or takin' in impure ideas through the eyes. If you think about it, bein' in bed as long as possible is the healthiest thing I do each day."

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192009

Ha, I never noticed before that he's reached for his drink and spilled it, and is still blindly reaching for it as he lays down the law to Pat.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Oh god, in the next to last panel he is either pointing an angry finger at the spilled drink or he's trying desperately to get just a loving taste on his finger. The last panel is clearly rage.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I like to think that Pats dickishness spiraled out of control when Ray and Roast Beef needlessly mocked his new hat.

But we all know he has been a dick since he was a kid, ergo he has always been an obnoxious self entitled prick.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I really want to see Pat as a child, interacting with Roast Beef and Ray. We've seen so much of Ray and Beef as kids but we're also told that Pat was part of the chicanery of youth too.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like to think that Pats dickishness spiraled out of control when Ray and Roast Beef needlessly mocked his new hat.

I've always thought it was the classic Cure strip: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002

The wait wouldn't be so bad if there were just something along the lines of "gently caress it, doing (vacation/burnout/suicide-murder pact/books), strip be slow until it isn't." Otherwise I'm just pulling a Jurassic Bark here.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Word. I'd be completely down if Onstad came about and out and out flatly told us 'I've been partying it up and down all night with my family instead of working in the art form that supports me and my family' because hey, that's what rock stars do. It is expected of them. Why would we expect anything different?

What I'm saying is, we should be cool with Onstad taking one or two years in between albums strips.

Seriously, can someone check if he already posted a BAN ME or something? THAT at least we can know.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I think people should just adjust their expectations about update frequency. I mean, everyone (including Onstad) knows that readers aren't as thrilled about an update every week or two, as opposed to near-daily updates during the peak Achewood years... but I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be done about it right now. Maybe some day things will change for the better. v:shobon:v

I guess it's just sad to me to see hostility towards the comic, since it's pretty much the best web comic ever made regardless of anything else.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Locus posted:

I think people should just adjust their expectations about update frequency. I mean, everyone (including Onstad) knows that readers aren't as thrilled about an update every week or two, as opposed to near-daily updates during the peak Achewood years... but I'm pretty sure there's nothing to be done about it right now. Maybe some day things will change for the better. v:shobon:v

I guess it's just sad to me to see hostility towards the comic, since it's pretty much the best web comic ever made regardless of anything else.

Our irritation stems from the fact that the comic is still top shelf in every regard, save frequency of publication.

I'm with the poster who said that it wouldn't be so annoying if Onstad would just level with us and tell us that he's working on the stuff that pays him, visiting dying relatives, loving off, or whatever.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I think people would deal better if he weren't doing such long narrative arcs too. Pictures for Sad Children doesn't update very frequently either, but his strips are usually one-offs so it's easier to be patient.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

Happy Hippo posted:

Our irritation stems from the fact that the comic is still top shelf in every regard, save frequency of publication.

I'm with the poster who said that it wouldn't be so annoying if Onstad would just level with us and tell us that he's working on the stuff that pays him, visiting dying relatives, loving off, or whatever.

Oh, sure. I guess I just assume he's doing all of those things and is also a bit burned out.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Did anything ever come from any of the rumours about crazy stuff like tv shows / films etc? When the strip slows down, I always kind of imagine Onstad is working on some secret project that was offered to him after winning the Time magazine thing. Wasn't he wandering around Google or Apple one time? Was that even Achewood related?

Fully backing the sentiment that it's sad to see people hating on the strip. A good sign people are still passionate about it I guess.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Tenterhooks posted:

Did anything ever come from any of the rumours about crazy stuff like tv shows / films etc? When the strip slows down, I always kind of imagine Onstad is working on some secret project that was offered to him after winning the Time magazine thing. Wasn't he wandering around Google or Apple one time? Was that even Achewood related?
I've never heard any rumors of tv shows or films beyond wild fan imaginings and one or two comments from Onstad along the lines of "yeah, I'd like to do that if it came along".

He did go to a meeting with Google and promised we'd see what was up with that soon after, but I don't remember what came of it, if anything.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I don't think people are hating on Achewood, merely hating on the fact that it updates more rarely now than ever.

On the one hand, I can imagine it's annoying to work on it and see people talking poo poo. On the other hand, it's largely done because people (myself included) have grown accustomed to regular deliveries of mirth and turns of phrase that excite and titillate. We expect, and deeply desire Achewood in our lives, and to go without sucks.

If the sun did not come up every day, we would complain, but that does not mean we hate the sun, merely its absence.

Having said that, I don't think there is a thing that Onstad could say that would improve the scenario. No matter what reason, mundane or fantastic, he put forth, people would complain, and the reality is the only thing that will sate fans is more Achewood, not excuses, no matter how rational or understandable they may be. If, god forbid, Onstad's entire family was on fire, and only through not writing more Achewood could he ease their suffering, a group of cantakerous internet people would complain that he was not upholding his Achewoodly duties. And if it is anything less than that, even more people will complain.

Really, the safest, best, and most enjoyable 'fix' all around is to simply put out more Achewood, more often, without drawing attention to the fact that it's been about 3 weeks since we saw a strip. There are no words that aren't uttered by a cartoon cat in a regular update that will sooth the pains of an Achewood longing, so its best to forgo them entirely.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I give the Dresden Codak guy a lot of poo poo for updating at the pace of a snail, but as hypocritical as this may sound, I understand Achewood stalling a lot more.

Sure, its a tiny little black-and-white strip, but the writing is gold. You can't force something like "MY WHOLE LIFE I BEEN SOCIETY'S STARED-AT MAN"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Achewood writing is gold, I always chuckle when I think of Roast Beef sullenly wearing one of his ill bought t-shirts from the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I think what makes it worse is the donate link at the top of the page.