Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

TyChan posted:

From what I understand, Rickenbacker doesn't produce a lot of basses as a whole, especially compared with a company like Fender. They also don't seem to have any particuarly special arrangements with the big chains like Guitar Center, so it's harder for many musicians, especially the ones in the sticks, to get their hands on one.

In New York City, there's apparently a massive waiting list for them. They're definitely in demand, but people I meet consistently complain about not being able to get them.

I found the 4003 hard to play as the string spacing isn't my cup of tea. They do sound really awesome, though.

Yes, you're right. Waiting lists can get pretty long. It's a good idea to frequent RIC's forum, 'cause the CEO and other company insiders participate, and it's often got information re. which models will become available when and where, and in which colours.

I personally don't like the 4003 neck as much as the old 4001's. I could compare my '77 to a new late '90s model once, and the 4003 felt much beefier - the 4003 had more growl, though. Never had any trouble with string spacing compared to other models/manufacturers. At least by far not as noticeable as with Rickenbacker 6-strings; switching back and forth with other guitars can be quite a pain there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Dyna Soar posted:

God drat I hate playing in drop tuning :bang:

Drop tuning owns. Drop A on a 5-string everyday.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

black_mastermind posted:

Why? Is it the string and setup fussiness?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Drop C on a 4-string and I've always played regular tuning :(

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Tune down a half-step, play hella Motorhead :c00l:

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Dyna Soar posted:

Drop C on a 4-string and I've always played regular tuning :(

Earlier this year, I found myself in a similar situation. I started messing with individual strings from juststrings.com. I find that using the higher strings from a set of EB Power Slinkys works great and I substitute the .110 with a .115 or .120 from juststrings. So far, I seem to like the .115 just fine but the difference between a .115 and a .120 is negligible. Either is WAY less floppy than a .110, though! Before too long, you will find that you are pretty comfortable cruising around in a drop tuning. If anything, it forces you out of your comfort zone, which can have great results!

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My band plays in drop B so I take my 5-string and tune the EADG part up a whole step. Guitars tune down, I tune up :frogc00l:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

black_mastermind posted:

Earlier this year, I found myself in a similar situation. I started messing with individual strings from juststrings.com. I find that using the higher strings from a set of EB Power Slinkys works great and I substitute the .110 with a .115 or .120 from juststrings. So far, I seem to like the .115 just fine but the difference between a .115 and a .120 is negligible. Either is WAY less floppy than a .110, though! Before too long, you will find that you are pretty comfortable cruising around in a drop tuning. If anything, it forces you out of your comfort zone, which can have great results!

Yeah I've got really heavy strings. The lowest is .130 I think? Anyway can't play with lighter gauges anymore.

Yeah I'm definitely out of my comfort zone. Making riffs is really god drat hard for me now. I guess practise is the key here, as always :/

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
If the intonation flats when strings are fretted between the nut and the fifth fret, does that indicate my bridge is misaligned? I'm having this problem on my Les Paul.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

GreenMarine posted:

If the intonation flats when strings are fretted between the nut and the fifth fret, does that indicate my bridge is misaligned? I'm having this problem on my Les Paul.

What's it like at the 12th fret? if it's off there too then it's at the bridge and probably adjustable. The easy way to remember it is FFF-Fretted Flat Forward. In other words if the fretted note is flatter than the harmonic at the 12th fret then you need to move the saddle forward (ie toward the neck). If it's ONLY the notes at the bottom of the neck that aren't in tune then the nut is probably in the wrong place (or the slots are cut incorrectly). You'll probably need a luthier to work on that.

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

Ed Friedland reviews the new Warwick Streamer LX SE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhife-v3QA

That sounds nice. Its too bad Warwicks are almost always that disgusting color.

E: Btw I bought a set of Chromes for my fretless. They sound really nice and I get exactly the sound I want out of them.

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008
Has anyone gotten to check out the new Fender Sub-Lime fuzz? I have seen it for sale online and watched some reviews, but would like to hear from a few more folks that own it before I go seeking one out real hard core like.

Edit: maybe it isn't as new as I think it is. Either way, I welcome any input.

black_mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 7, 2010

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

black_mastermind posted:

Has anyone gotten to check out the new Fender Sub-Lime fuzz? I have seen it for sale online and watched some reviews, but would like to hear from a few more folks that own it before I go seeking one out real hard core like.

I was unaware of this. I dig how they changed the typical form factor and typical knobs on this one. Check it out, in German, with a two string'ed bass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj1JGyhGKMw

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

black_mastermind posted:

Yeah, it's been around for a good bit, but I think it gets most of its attention overseas. Head over to TalkBass and poke around in the effects forum. I'm pretty sure a good many of those guys have at least tried it out. I think one of the major short-comings was that one of the trim-pots that need adjustment for tailoring the sound to your needs is relatively unaccessible or requires a tiny screwdriver or some poo poo like that.

I'm sure it's decent, but (and this is just me being skeptical here) since it hasn't gained a whole lot of attention thus far, it's probably pretty mediocre. I could be completely wrong on that though...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Scarf posted:

Just to clarify, it has active electronics (preamp), but the pickups themselves are passive. It's either a dead/dying battery, or some wiring in the control-cavity are making bad connections somewhere. Usually a dying battery will give you a distorted sound before it cuts out completely... so I'd check the connections inside as well.

My experience with my B-105 has been that the pots are crappy. Within days of buying it (second-hand, mind you) I had a co-worker find and fix a few brittle sauter (sic) points. I haven't had any problems since.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Schatten posted:

I had to watch my right hand for a bit and I'm doing what you describe. I rake one finger from D to A and then the next from D to A. The first finger is ready for that D on the A string at the fifth fret. That should be it.

I've seen this transcribed different ways, and this is the most typical one. But you can take the F# (9th fret on A string) and move it to the F# (4th fret on the D string). That might make the left hand relax a bit.

Watch Geddy play it here, still isn't the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA

Wait so are you playing both the D and A string with that one finger or do you hammer on?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Saw Propagandhi on Tuesday night (fuckin' amazing show) and Todd has an 800RB with red LEDs. Mine has green ones :I: Is there a story behind the light color discrepancy or is it likely an after-market thing?

black_mastermind
Oct 30, 2008

Scarf posted:

Yeah, it's been around for a good bit, but I think it gets most of its attention overseas. Head over to TalkBass and poke around in the effects forum. I'm pretty sure a good many of those guys have at least tried it out. I think one of the major short-comings was that one of the trim-pots that need adjustment for tailoring the sound to your needs is relatively unaccessible or requires a tiny screwdriver or some poo poo like that.

I'm sure it's decent, but (and this is just me being skeptical here) since it hasn't gained a whole lot of attention thus far, it's probably pretty mediocre. I could be completely wrong on that though...

Yeah, I read some reviews over at TB. I used to spend a lot of time there, actually- now it seems all of my gear forum needs are met well enough in here.

I guess if it was a hot enough item GC would at least stock some in stores, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I am mostly interested in it for the ability to apply the fuzz to the higher frequencies and leave my lows relatively untouched. I have been using a green Russian Muff since I bought it new in '94 and it owns, but I am always open to new flavors.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I started practicing bass again after neglecting it for about seven years. The only problem is that I can't keep my fret hand relaxed; instead it feels really tense and results in some pretty annoying pain in the wrist & thumb after a short while.

Would anyone happen to have any tips on how I should go about fixing my technique? I've tried moving my thumb's position but it doesn't seem to help all that much.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Crosspost: Just got a set of Bootzillas.

Click here to view the full image

Pretty fun so far.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

gotly posted:

code:
G----------------------------------------------
D--7--6--------7--6--------7-6-----------------  ...etc...
A----9-7-5-------9-7-5------9-7--5-5--------5--
E----------7-7---------7-------------7--5-7----
I have the left hand down pat, but my right hand is failing me. I realize no way is the right way, I'm just trying to get some ideas. Do you play it with one finger on the D string and one on the A, "strum" through with one finger, only pluck every other note and hammer on the string above? I'm able to play it pretty quickly by hammering on every other note but it's not as defined as I'd like.

"Ever wonder how to play the fast riff in Tom Sawyer? Well, it's actually quite simple. Moving the fingers really fast is a good option, but if your skill level isn't high enough (208 HP +20), you can always change the fingering. See that (5) on the A string? That's a D, of which is also the same as a (0) or open string on the D string. That means you can pluck the open D string and quickly skip down to the (7) of the E string instead of trying to reach that tricky (5). Of course, if your string skipping skill level is below 38 (of which mine is easily 60 or above), this might prove challenging. But it should be easier than how I normally play the Tom Sawyer riff."

-excerpt from Geddy Ulillillee, Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters of Syrinx

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Make sure you're not squeezing the neck with your hand. You should be pulling your shoulder back and keeping your wrist as straight as possible. Eventually you should be able to, for the most part, play without your thumb touching the neck. At least, this is was I was taught, and it has made the pain I used to get in my hand after playing for only a short amount of time go away. I'm still getting used to it, but I can definitely play for alot longer without my left hand getting tired now,

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Bone posted:

Make sure you're not squeezing the neck with your hand. You should be pulling your shoulder back and keeping your wrist as straight as possible.

Welp, that's the problem right there. I've been squeezing the neck like crazy for some reason especially when I'm playing new/fast stuff :argh: . I guess I need to start making a conscious effort to loosen my grip when I'm practicing.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I bit the bullet and bought one of these yesterday (birthday present to myself):

I gotta say, it's great. Weighs next to nothing but the tone and volume output are both superb. Add a fuzz and it's warm and loving heavy. I love it.

Next up, 4x10 and a 1x15 cabs for it.

Anyone tried those new isobaric 2x12 cabs?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dyna Soar posted:

I bit the bullet and bought one of these yesterday (birthday present to myself):

I gotta say, it's great. Weighs next to nothing but the tone and volume output are both superb. Add a fuzz and it's warm and loving heavy. I love it.

Nice! Please record some sound clips from it... Most of the demos online are absolute poo poo.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Eel hovercraft posted:

Welp, that's the problem right there. I've been squeezing the neck like crazy for some reason especially when I'm playing new/fast stuff :argh: . I guess I need to start making a conscious effort to loosen my grip when I'm practicing.

Yeah, it's definitely tedious to get used to at first, but once you're comfortable with it playing is 10 times easier. Just focus on keeping your hand relaxed, you can usually tell if you're starting to squeeze too hard as long as you stay aware.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

I have found my next purchase.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

Nice! Please record some sound clips from it... Most of the demos online are absolute poo poo.

I'll see what I can do, but I don't really have any decent recording gear. We're practising next to a studio so maybe i can loan some decent mics from them. Can't promise anything though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Minto Took posted:

I have found my next purchase.

There's also a 1000w version.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

There's also a 1000w version.

Not yet, they haven't even begun the manufacturing yet. Expected next year, before summer. I was gonna wait for it but eh what the hell do I need a 1000w tranq for...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I have a question.

I have a 500W(@ 4ohm) Warwick head, and an Ashdown Mag 410T Deep cab, which is rated 450w. Ashdown have a 115 cab to match my 410, however it is only rated 250W. Now I know my head isn't going to be putting out much more than 300W RMS into 8 ohms, but I am concerned that with the much lower power handling of the 115 it will either colour the sound too much (I play metal so my tone is very mid-centric) or it will start to fart out before my 410 is really cranking.

Should I look into this cab (it's compact and would look sick underneath my 410) or get a Warwick 115 with a much closer power rating to my 410?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ackbarf posted:

I have a question.

I have a 500W(@ 4ohm) Warwick head, and an Ashdown Mag 410T Deep cab, which is rated 450w. Ashdown have a 115 cab to match my 410, however it is only rated 250W. Now I know my head isn't going to be putting out much more than 300W RMS into 8 ohms, but I am concerned that with the much lower power handling of the 115 it will either colour the sound too much (I play metal so my tone is very mid-centric) or it will start to fart out before my 410 is really cranking.

Should I look into this cab (it's compact and would look sick underneath my 410) or get a Warwick 115 with a much closer power rating to my 410?

Your cab will not fry if you use both cabs, no worries.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah I'm not so worried about that, more whether or not I should attempt to find two cabs with a power handling figure less than 200WRMS apart.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ackbarf posted:

Yeah I'm not so worried about that, more whether or not I should attempt to find two cabs with a power handling figure less than 200WRMS apart.

Right, my reading comprehension = 0 :)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
So after a year and half or so of playing my busted up Squier that I bought second-hand for £50, I've finally decided it's time to take the plunge and buy a new bass.

I saw this Ibanez Jet King online and I've basically fallen in love with it. Does anybody have any experience with these in terms of build quality/sound? Also, does anyone have any experience with ordering instruments online? I'm having visions of them bouncing my baby around in the back of a van :ohdear:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SteadfastMeat posted:

So after a year and half or so of playing my busted up Squier that I bought second-hand for £50, I've finally decided it's time to take the plunge and buy a new bass.

I saw this Ibanez Jet King online and I've basically fallen in love with it. Does anybody have any experience with these in terms of build quality/sound? Also, does anyone have any experience with ordering instruments online? I'm having visions of them bouncing my baby around in the back of a van :ohdear:

I've played one in a Guitar Center a few times, and came drat close to taking it home with me. Build quality is on par with any other mid-level Ibanez, so pretty good. It'll most definitely need a setup done, especially if you order online. But that's nothing out of the ordinary.

The sound was also pretty great. Just a good overall rock tone. Reminded me of the tones I got out of my old Epiphone Thunderbird, but not as muddy.

I've personally never had a problem ordering instruments online, but I've only really dealt with Musician's Friend and a few of the other big-name online retailers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

How much do you guys concentrate on reducing squeaks and other sounds from your fretting hand? I can be really careful and never allow my fingers to drag, gradually fret notes to reduce impact noise and so on, but when I'm playing at challenging speeds it's obviously a lot harder. How important is it to get a completely clean sound, and how much of it gets lost or EQed out in a band or studio setting?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
baka kaba - squeaks, like going up and down the strings - minimal. Sometimes that adds character and realism to the music. Most of the noises would be cleaned up in recording, and the last time I did recording it was all analog, so no digital cleanups. In a live performance, flatwounds clean up a lot of noise. Otherwise, it is just experience over the years and knowing how to mute other parts of the string.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I personally love impact noise. It's all a matter of taste and the style of music.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I pull out as much high end on my EQ as possible, I find it helps with the squeaks and also the inevitable clunk I get due to having a ridiculously low action. I play thrash metal though so I cut some bass, crank the mids a bit and I cut through quite nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I love me some clunks and grinding buzzes too, not so much when I'm pretending to play smooth jazz though! I'm still fairly new to bass (well I guess 10 months now) so I don't want to pick up bad squeaking habits when I'm building up speed. But I also don't want to waste time learning unnecessary clinically accurate fretting techniques when I could be playing faster and having fun

Just as an example, say I'm playing a little chromatic run like
-4-5-6-7-
When I play a note and go to fret the next, sometimes the first finger moves slightly and I get a little errrk, especially middle to ring finger since I can't easily stretch them apart a full fret width. Big deal or no?