Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
godzilla hentai
Sep 6, 2010

UncleMonkey posted:

The choose your own adventure issue of Unwritten is really awesome. One of the most unique things I've seen tried in comics, and it's executed really well.

Oh I know. I was like, "Aw gently caress." when I opened it up and saw it was gonna be like that, but they really pulled it off well. Great issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been waiting for/buying The Unwritten in trade but this new issue sounds like it's worth not waiting for. Would I understand what's going on if I just get it or do I need to read the issues between the second trade and it?

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

It might not be that sinister, the category is basically "best prose short story" and the Sandman issue snuck in. It's true they don't have a comic category, but not wanting to put comics in an awards category doesn't make them "hate" comics. "Prose Short Story" and "Comic Issue" are apples and oranges, and in this case the awards are Apple-centric. Doesn't mean there is a desire to wipe Florida off the map.

I wouldn't want to see Alton Brown up for a Best Actor award at the Emmys, even though I have nothing but love for him. It doesn't mean I don't think cooking shows aren't "television".

Agreed but also: not only are comics different from novels but format-wise, the idea that the short story is the equivalent of the 20-30 page comic is rather superficial- the comic in question is part of a long running series after all. It's be easy enough to put your From Hells and your Land of Black Golds in the novel category, but where do Human Diastrophism and Jaka's story go, novellas?

Not to mention the short story is something of a dying form commercially, and while we know the 3.99 floppy ain't looking too good either, the judges of the fantasy award might be forgiven for seeing an already marginal category dominated, in years to come, by an industry which as standard publishes in what they'd decided was short story length.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Len posted:

I've been waiting for/buying The Unwritten in trade but this new issue sounds like it's worth not waiting for. Would I understand what's going on if I just get it or do I need to read the issues between the second trade and it?
Yeah, you'd probably need to also pick up the back issues between when the second trade ends and #17. There's a few big developments that happen, so you might be a little lost having not read them.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally caught up to Joe the Barbarian #7 and god drat it's such a cliff hanger. But there's something I don't understand, So is Lord Death the Iron Knight?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Volume posted:

So I finally caught up to Joe the Barbarian #7 and god drat it's such a cliff hanger. But there's something I don't understand, So is Lord Death the Iron Knight?

Yes.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Apparently Transmetropolitan may be back in 2011!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/27/the-return-of-transmetropolitan-for-2011-ish/

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Manwithastick posted:

Apparently Transmetropolitan may be back in 2011!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/27/the-return-of-transmetropolitan-for-2011-ish/
Rolled my eyes when I read this, but after I read the article and saw that this is a charity thing and will be written by a number of different artists, I can see some good coming from it.

Spider and the Transmet world would benefit from some different takes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jinkies! Editors being laid off at Vertigo, which is going to hurt new acquisition of original content. Sad news.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

d00gZ posted:

Yes.

Oh man that makes it so much cooler seeing how it reflects back to his real life.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

Shageletic posted:

Jinkies! Editors being laid off at Vertigo, which is going to hurt new acquisition of original content. Sad news.

Man, that sucks.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Joan Hilty was the editor for Blue Beetle. That loving sucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Do you think that this restructuring is going to cause some Vertigo titles to be canceled? I really hope that nothing happens to Hellblazer.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

bobkatt013 posted:

Do you think that this restructuring is going to cause some Vertigo titles to be canceled? I really hope that nothing happens to Hellblazer.

I'm pretty sure that Hellblazer's sales would have to be loving abysmal to have anything happen to it.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Did they sink a lot of money into the Vertigo Crime book line? I remember there was a lot of buzz for it initially, but then it petered out after the first lukewarm reviews came out.

My local comic book store had to cut the price in half just to get rid of them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

SkellingTon Loc posted:

Did they sink a lot of money into the Vertigo Crime book line? I remember there was a lot of buzz for it initially, but then it petered out after the first lukewarm reviews came out.

My local comic book store had to cut the price in half just to get rid of them.

That's a good question. They recently started re-releasing all of them in softcover format which indicates either they did well or they're trying to reignite interest at a lower price.

I really was excited for the line but as more and more books came out with more supernatural influence than actual crime, I lost interest.

I would hope the restructuring of Vertigo was in the cards when they started announcing cancellations this Summer but who knows. If not, I'm not sure what they still have that can be canceled.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 2, 2010

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

That's a good question. They recently started re-releasing all of them in softcover format which indicates either they did well or they're trying to reignite interest at a lower price.

That's nothing new, Vertigo follows the same publishing plan as DC with their hardcovers. Hardcover edition first, softcover to follow some months later. They are also still releasing new books in the line as hardcovers first.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Goddamn, how good is Sweet Tooth, huh?

And American Vampire continues to get better and better. #7 is no exception, and it answers the question I've had since last month-- (i.e., Where's Pearl?)

iZombie was really great this month as well. It's clearly meant to serve as a jumping on point for new readers; but at the same time it was really entertaining. Plus, it introduced a new character that's a talking chimp possessed by the oversoul of Scott's grandfather.

Three for three so far on Vertigo books this month; and I've still got Unwritten, Hellblazer, Northlanders and the conclusion of Joe the Barbarian to look forward to.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Shageletic posted:

They laid off the person who discovered Wilson and Vaughan. They laid off the person responsible for The Unwritten.

That's terrible :(

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Well just got done reading the first American Vampire trade and let me just say Snyder's after-word is just beautiful. Best afterword I have read for anything thus far. He also in the final paragraph gave away what the next to plot lines are going to be. We already know about the 1930's Las Vegas, and the next one will be 1940's World War II centric

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JackDarko posted:

Well just got done reading the first American Vampire trade and let me just say Snyder's after-word is just beautiful. Best afterword I have read for anything thus far. He also in the final paragraph gave away what the next to plot lines are going to be. We already know about the 1930's Las Vegas, and the next one will be 1940's World War II centric

I love American Vampire in singles, and am really tempted to double dip and get the hardcover.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Sigma posted:

I love American Vampire in singles, and am really tempted to double dip and get the hardcover.
I've been collecting it in singles as well, but I'm sure at some point I'll also pick up the HC. I don't mind double-dipping for series that I really like. It's nice to both have the original singles, as well as have a nice HC you can put up on your shelf.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

UncleMonkey posted:

I've been collecting it in singles as well, but I'm sure at some point I'll also pick up the HC. I don't mind double-dipping for series that I really like. It's nice to both have the original singles, as well as have a nice HC you can put up on your shelf.

Take solace in the fact that its a really nice hardcover, I was surprised to find that it had really thick glossy paper, that is usually reserved for Deluxe editions.

Edit: Looking at the back matter the first issues of AMVamp got treated to some gorgeous variant covers. Snyder's and King's script styles are also pretty interestimg.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 12, 2010

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Shame DMZ is ending at issue 72 :( Wood made the call though so it has been a good run.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

UncleMonkey posted:

Also it's nice to be able to loan your friends the collected editions rather than singles, for when you want to get them interested in a series. That's slightly less true of the nicer hardcovers, though, making for an interesting dilemma in this case.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I finished up The Invisibles yesterday, drat that was a wild read.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wildlele posted:

Shame DMZ is ending at issue 72 :( Wood made the call though so it has been a good run.

I'm glad to see this because this hopefully means he definitely has an ending planned.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

^burtle posted:

I finished up The Invisibles yesterday, drat that was a wild read.

In a similar vein, I finished up Doom Patrol last night. Without question the most wonderful thing I've ever read.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I'm deep into the 4th trade of Lucifer and this is some stellar stuff, drat. My hopes for The Unwritten have gone up way higher than they already were now.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm glad to see this because this hopefully means he definitely has an ending planned.

Did DMZ stay good up to this point? I only read the first 10 issues, but am curious to pick it up as the next series I read through in trades.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."
Not really. For me it kind of floundered and lost my interest around the elections arc in late 30's early 40's. There was kind of a small time jump and it didn't really do a very good job or re-rooting you with the characters.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

nosophoros posted:

I'm deep into the 4th trade of Lucifer and this is some stellar stuff, drat. My hopes for The Unwritten have gone up way higher than they already were now.

This week's issue was off the chain some amazing revelations, and a great new arc direction. One of my favorite things about Carey is pacing, guy doesn't miss a beat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Asnorban posted:

Did DMZ stay good up to this point? I only read the first 10 issues, but am curious to pick it up as the next series I read through in trades.

Sorta. I mean I freely admit that i do still read it because I've read all 50 issues or whatever.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

JackDarko posted:

This week's issue was off the chain some amazing revelations, and a great new arc direction. One of my favorite things about Carey is pacing, guy doesn't miss a beat.
Yeah, there were some major "Holy poo poo!" :aaa: moments. The Unwritten is always the first book I read of its release week as soon as I get home.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

JackDarko posted:

I actually felt like this was one of the weaker issues I'd read, but I think that's just because of how much I loved the choose your own adventure issue.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

UncleMonkey posted:

Yeah, there were some major "Holy poo poo!" :aaa: moments. The Unwritten is always the first book I read of its release week as soon as I get home.

The Unwritten is always the last book I read for that week, because I want to close feeling amazed at comics.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Was Taters posted:

The Unwritten is always the last book I read for that week, because I want to close feeling amazed at comics.
That's a really good way of thinking. I wish I had the level of self-control to do that.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

UncleMonkey posted:

That's a really good way of thinking. I wish I had the level of self-control to do that.

It's what I've been doing with King City. Sometimes I forget that I bought the Unwritten and then see it after reading my other comics, at the bottom of the pile. It's always worth the wait.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Gassire posted:

Not really. For me it kind of floundered and lost my interest around the elections arc in late 30's early 40's. There was kind of a small time jump and it didn't really do a very good job or re-rooting you with the characters.

That's exactly where I stopped reading. There was an entire year of the comic where each issue was just a one-shot character examination, and half of them I didn't find interesting at all. The plot just stood at a stand still and it became more about the ideas than anything, whereas in the beginning of the book I liked that it was about both. After Blood in the Game, despite it returning to the main plotline I just lost interest and stopped reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

teekun posted:

That's exactly where I stopped reading. There was an entire year of the comic where each issue was just a one-shot character examination, and half of them I didn't find interesting at all. The plot just stood at a stand still and it became more about the ideas than anything, whereas in the beginning of the book I liked that it was about both. After Blood in the Game, despite it returning to the main plotline I just lost interest and stopped reading it.

Guess I won't bother. Though the thread did now sell me on grabbing the Unwritten trades when I am done with my current series.

• Locked thread