Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
My laptop has been trying to install updates for over 24 hours. The screen just says, "Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 3 of 16." That's not an example. It has literally been working on the third out of sixteen updates for more than a day. Is this normal? What should I do about it if it's not normal? Why is it installing 16 loving updates at once? I shut it down pretty much every couple of days at least, so it's not like I just haven't updated it in months.

I tried google, but I'm not that knowledgeable about this stuff, so I didn't really know what to ask or how to interpret the answers I found. Same reason I'm asking in this thread and not in a more appropriate subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
just turn it off and on. It's not like flashing your bios where it's going to screw up your computer. You'll just have to install those the next time you restart.

(don't blame me if it kills your computer though)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Schweinhund posted:

just turn it off and on. It's not like flashing your bios where it's going to screw up your computer. You'll just have to install those the next time you restart.

(don't blame me if it kills your computer though)

Think of it this way: your computer is 100% broken right now. It does nothing. You can only make it better by rebooting the stupid thing.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A forums catchphrase related question:

When did the "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD" catchphrase come into use? Was there a specific thread that got it running, or was it just one of those things that people were saying one day with no real genesis?

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Weltlich posted:

A forums catchphrase related question:

When did the "NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD" catchphrase come into use? Was there a specific thread that got it running, or was it just one of those things that people were saying one day with no real genesis?

It came from a Helldump thread about a goon named Kuuenbu, who shouted the catchphrase while DJing GBS-FM. You can hear the whole thing on YouTube, with the phrase in question being uttered around 2:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OYZ04mCGCo

M. Tenebra
Apr 21, 2007
I recently moved a couple files to a usb stick, forgetting to back them up on my computer. I now try to use the usb stick and I either can't see the files, or I can see the files but can neither view nor copy them to my computer.

Is there a program to fix the drive or recover the data?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have two basic web design questions:

1. I need to make a page very similar to this one, where when you click on the text on the nav bar the text in the center changes without reloading the entire page. I haven't done more then basic web editing since frames were popular, so I am out of date on terms. What is this function called so can I look up how to do it?

example:
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=wiarchives;view=reslist;subview=standard;didno=uw-whs-mss00012

2. For this same project, I need to embed 5 different audio tracks, 1 per section of the page as clicked on in the first question. I know how to do this with objects, but my question is, should I handle it in some other way than telling the browser to just load quick time and the appropriate file?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

nesbit37 posted:

I have two basic web design questions:

1. I need to make a page very similar to this one, where when you click on the text on the nav bar the text in the center changes without reloading the entire page. I haven't done more then basic web editing since frames were popular, so I am out of date on terms. What is this function called so can I look up how to do it?

example:
http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=wiarchives;view=reslist;subview=standard;didno=uw-whs-mss00012

2. For this same project, I need to embed 5 different audio tracks, 1 per section of the page as clicked on in the first question. I know how to do this with objects, but my question is, should I handle it in some other way than telling the browser to just load quick time and the appropriate file?

the first example, although it is 1 page, the entire page does reload when you click the tabs. This can be done with PHP. You'd just write a file like "index.php" and each tab link would be something like index.php?page=home, index.php?page=contact, index.php?page=faq, etc. And then you'd write a different code section in the index.php where it says if "faq" print this, if "contact" print this etc. Google "PHP Get" to learn how to do that.

If you really want to do it without the page reloading you'd use javascript and (maybe) AJAX but that's much more difficult and I wouldn't bother doing that unless you really need it.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 16, 2010

alan negative
Aug 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I have a question about looking for jobs on craigslist. I've emailed about 10 different people concerning job positions they're offering, using the provided link (like job-randomlettersandnumbers@craigslist.org) and not one person has answered. I need a job really badly and this is irritating. Is it my approach, or are they just not getting the emails?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

alan negative posted:

I have a question about looking for jobs on craigslist. I've emailed about 10 different people concerning job positions they're offering, using the provided link (like job-randomlettersandnumbers@craigslist.org) and not one person has answered. I need a job really badly and this is irritating. Is it my approach, or are they just not getting the emails?

Indeed.com
or a local city listing is the best way to go.

ie, in Minneapolis-- jobsinminneapolis.com

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Binowru posted:

It came from a Helldump thread about a goon named Kuuenbu, who shouted the catchphrase while DJing GBS-FM. You can hear the whole thing on YouTube, with the phrase in question being uttered around 2:30.

Epic

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
My roommate left boiling water in a pot with the stove on overnight. The pot is now burned on the inside and out after all of the water evaporated. Is the pot still safe to use? It is NOT a teflon coated non-stick pot...just a cheap metal pot.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Tostito posted:

My roommate left boiling water in a pot with the stove on overnight. The pot is now burned on the inside and out after all of the water evaporated. Is the pot still safe to use? It is NOT a teflon coated non-stick pot...just a cheap metal pot.

You can get a cheap metal pot for $2 at Goodwill/St. Vincent's/Salvation Army/Thrift Store of Choice, not to mention any department store for $10. It is not worth risking out of laziness/thriftiness because some jerk on the internet says "sure should be fine".

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Binowru posted:

Oh holy poo poo. That made my day! Thanks!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

M. Tenebra posted:

I recently moved a couple files to a usb stick, forgetting to back them up on my computer. I now try to use the usb stick and I either can't see the files, or I can see the files but can neither view nor copy them to my computer.

Is there a program to fix the drive or recover the data?

IME USB problems are usually related to insufficient power. Try different ports.

mappertyst
Aug 18, 2006
Whenever I open a can of Boddington's Pub Ale, it explodes all over the place! I know it has a nitrous widget in it, but I don't think that means a beer should always blow up in your face. I've let a can sit for 24 hours and opened it without so much as a nudge, and yet it still exploded. This has been happening for well over a month, across multiple packs, and from numerous stores. At this point, finding out the truth is an obsession.

Am I doing something wrong? What the hell?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since Games doesn't seem to have either a small/stupid questions thread or a Guitar Hero thread, I'll ask here.

I've got the new Guitar Hero, and it seems that while they made shredding easier, playing repeated chords is not very reliable at all. That is, if I have a long series of just 8th-note chords (or even single notes), it'll act as if I didn't play some of them. I've futzed around with the lag settings some, but it doesn't seem to matter. Anyone else have similar issues/any suggestions?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So I was doing this out in my head: a can of lovely beer like bud light is 4% alcohol by volume, and 1 can of beer fills one cup. So if I poured a cup of the same size of something that was 70 proof, would it be the same as drinking nearly 9 beers? That doesn't seem like it's right to me.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hooah posted:

Since Games doesn't seem to have either a small/stupid questions thread or a Guitar Hero thread, I'll ask here.

The GH thread

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

change my name posted:

So I was doing this out in my head: a can of lovely beer like bud light is 4% alcohol by volume, and 1 can of beer fills one cup. So if I poured a cup of the same size of something that was 70 proof, would it be the same as drinking nearly 9 beers? That doesn't seem like it's right to me.

Yup. 16 Oz of whiskey contains as much alcohol as 9-11 pints of beer. (Don't drink a pint of whiskey.)

The typical rule is 1 "drink" is a pint of beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of hard liquor.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

How would one go about getting a ticket to a Borders book signing online? I saw a sign advertising Amy Sedaris' on November 13th yesterday, and the website just gives details, no purchase option I can find. I'd rather not spend another few hours on the L just to pick up a ticket tomorrow.

M. Tenebra
Apr 21, 2007

kapalama posted:

IME USB problems are usually related to insufficient power. Try different ports.

Tried different ports. Different ports on different computers. Different computers with different OS. The files show up on the drive, for a moment, and the entire drive disappears before I could get a recovery program to save them. Can't copy them when I see them because Windows can't read them.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alan negative posted:

I've gotten a fair number of responses from job listings on craigslist, and a few jobs as well. Assuming they have their poo poo set up right, they're getting your emails. You might try is applying through the company's website (if they say who they are in the ad) instead of via craigslist; recruiting sites will generally give at least an application confirmation email. Also, maybe the problem is that your resume isn't very good? There's a resume writing thread that may be useful to you.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2000929

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

M. Tenebra posted:

Tried different ports. Different ports on different computers. Different computers with different OS. The files show up on the drive, for a moment, and the entire drive disappears before I could get a recovery program to save them. Can't copy them when I see them because Windows can't read them.
Then it could be the contacts on the stick are faulty, so a recovery program won't be enough. You'll need professional forensic help with this one.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

nevermind

Econosaurus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 18, 2010

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Power of Pecota posted:

How would one go about getting a ticket to a Borders book signing online? I saw a sign advertising Amy Sedaris' on November 13th yesterday, and the website just gives details, no purchase option I can find. I'd rather not spend another few hours on the L just to pick up a ticket tomorrow.

Do you definitely need a ticket? I don't know about America but in England you just turn up on the day and queue.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

marshmallard posted:

Do you definitely need a ticket? I don't know about America but in England you just turn up on the day and queue.

I miss Borders :(

But I went to a signing there for Jasper Fford and I had to get tickets, perhaps because it was an after-closing reading and signing. When authors go to WHS or Waterstones, they go during the day for photos and signing, not really as an event like Borders used to.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Someone told me that WD-40 shouldn't be used as a lubricant on metal because it's water based and will eventually cause rusting. Is this true?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Long Wang posted:

Someone told me that WD-40 shouldn't be used as a lubricant on metal because it's water based and will eventually cause rusting. Is this true?

WD-40 won't make metal rust, but it also might not lubricate it for a long time. It's main use is for cleaning mechanical parts, making sure that all water is displaced (WD = water displacement) to avoid rust.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Female exotic dancers almost always smell like coconut. What do male strippers smell like generally? Hollister or Axe or something?

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I'm looking for a forum thread.

The thread was either written by an A-10 Thunderbolt II pilot who was answering questions, or it was a thread specifically about the A-10 Thunderbolt II itself. I've tried a forum search, I've tried Google, I've tried every permutation of words I can think of.

Does anybody have a link to this thread? I would appreciate any help.

Here is an A-10 Thunderbolt II for reference:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Long Wang posted:

It shouldn't be used to lubricate things because it attracts a lot of dirt and debris, and doesn't really work out well in the long term.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

marshmallard posted:

On her website it mentions it's a ticketed event and two of the other appearances on the tour are already sold out.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Power of Pecota posted:

On her website it mentions it's a ticketed event and two of the other appearances on the tour are already sold out.

I guess call Borders and ask then.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I want to get that complete series of the wire boxset, but I've heard the packaging is so bad that by the time you get it, all the discs are ruined. If I just buy it in the store instead of through amazon will that mitigate the problem?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Another one of those "probably should have picked up this life skill ages ago," but where can I purchase a men's waterproof jacket that doesn't look like rear end? Dressing myself has never been a particular talent of mine, but even I can tell that those gaudy orange-and-blue things at Target will make me look like a doofus.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Another one of those "probably should have picked up this life skill ages ago," but where can I purchase a men's waterproof jacket that doesn't look like rear end? Dressing myself has never been a particular talent of mine, but even I can tell that those gaudy orange-and-blue things at Target will make me look like a doofus.

Maybe some tactical fleece?
or Carrhart (sic), Dickies, maybe Patagonia or L.L. Bean would have something you'd like.

edit: maybe google "foul weather gear" and you can find something really functional that would make you look like you're on "Deadliest Catch" except not yellow.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Gravity Pike posted:

Any outdoor shop should have a wide selection of "proper" rain proof jackets.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Land's End, which sells through Sears as well as online/catalogue, might be a good idea. LL Bean is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Or if you're ridiculously cheap go army surplus. I have an old Czech field jacket that cost me $2 and is my go-to outerwear for any time I don't have to dress up. It's made of what I think is thick canvas treated with some kind of water repellent. It's taken a beating and held up better than some expensive jackets I've owned.