Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
So I got a DRZ on Monday and so far its been a bag of (good) surprises. I'm the 4th owner, and all 3 of the previous ones have worked for icon. It was originally the president or owner of icon's bike. The PO told me that there weren't any mods other than a new tail light, but so far I've found it's been 3x3ed, has some form of braided brake lines, and a couple of other minor things. Not sure if its been rejetted. I'm picking up a big box of parts from the PO's house on Friday and I know there is a DJ jet kit in there but I don't know if they've been installed and the OEM jets are in the box. Are the jet sized marked on the jets? Also, any other low profile mods that I might have missed and should look for? Its currently missing the speedo cable which makes riding it interesting. There might be one in the box of parts but if not, what's the best place to order one from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

I'm lost. In 07 The 690 was introduced with the new motor and all. So in 07 there was the beaker 690 SM and some beaker SMC-R or SMC something? I remember seeing one on craigslist. Then in 08 there was the SMC with the completely different body style....and a regular SM? Then in 09 there's the enduro/SM? Same thing? AND SMC? I'm confused.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?92269-History-of-the-KTM-SMC-amp-Duke

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

henne posted:

So I got a DRZ on Monday and so far its been a bag of (good) surprises. I'm the 4th owner, and all 3 of the previous ones have worked for icon. It was originally the president or owner of icon's bike. The PO told me that there weren't any mods other than a new tail light, but so far I've found it's been 3x3ed, has some form of braided brake lines, and a couple of other minor things. Not sure if its been rejetted. I'm picking up a big box of parts from the PO's house on Friday and I know there is a DJ jet kit in there but I don't know if they've been installed and the OEM jets are in the box. Are the jet sized marked on the jets? Also, any other low profile mods that I might have missed and should look for? Its currently missing the speedo cable which makes riding it interesting. There might be one in the box of parts but if not, what's the best place to order one from?

Depends on how quick you want it...if you want it asap, usually your dealership will get it in a couple of days (if they're worth a poo poo). Otherwise, get the lowest price from ronayers/bikebandit/ebay and go with whatever's cheapest.

The jet sizes are marked on the jets...check the kit and see if there's a couple missing in the middle of the range that they give you. Congrats on the bike!

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I always see you guys talking DRZ prices in here, so I decided to see what my area is like. This seems like a pretty solid deal, and somebody in here is always looking. It's not my bike, nor do I know the owner.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2006483138.html

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Power mods for the 690 are largely an exercise in large expenditure for little gain. The engine is the strongest stock engine in it's class and I have only heard of meaningful improvements from drastic work like reworking of the head, increased compression and entirely replacing the throttle body and EFI unit.

The bike can be most improved simply by having it set up in a competent garage. The EFI is finnicky and needs to be trimmed and adjusted right.

Edit: Not that it's going to stop me experimenting. I want to replace the entire airbox with a pod filter to give me more space and I want to replace the exhaust with something less huge/hot.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 15, 2010

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

mutt2jeff posted:

I always see you guys talking DRZ prices in here, so I decided to see what my area is like. This seems like a pretty solid deal, and somebody in here is always looking. It's not my bike, nor do I know the owner.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/mcy/2006483138.html

If by "low miles" he means a couple thousand then thats a pretty good deal.

I see a nice yosh pipe there, wonder what else he means by engine upgrades.

Edit: if anything you can just return it to stock and sell the after-market parts for a few hundred

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 17, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is this where I post this?

Watch your leg!

Custom fuel tank, subframe and exhaust (custom headers with Competition Werkes muffler, it’s loud but not obnoxiously so and it’s a Duc, so it’s supposed to be heard, heat guard added to exhaust since pics).
CRF seat, cut as step seat and gel added for more comfort
BST carbon rims front and rear
Ohlins front forks (imported from Italy, tuned by Andreani)
Beringer master cylinders, they’re the best out there as far as I’m concerned
Brembo HP front rotors (oversized - 320mm)
Rizoma rearsets, fully adjustable
Yamaha MT-03 headlight, fitted with custom CNC brackets
SpeedCell battery mounted under seat (really small, but powerful enough to crank the bike over a good amount of times)
Renthal fatbars
TPO Beast-R intake stacks
EVR Slipper clutch (stock clutch included)
Speedymoto open clutch cover (not in these pics yet)
EVR clutch slave (stock slave included)
CRG Arrow bar-end mirror
Speedymoto frame and fork sliders
Ducati Performance cams included but not installed (was going to do this after the 600 mile service)
Mchelin Pilot Power 2 in the rear, Avon rain tire in front (I like the rain tires a lot, so I decided to give this set-up a go, haven’t had it out in any wet weather but it rocks on dry roads)

He says he bought it originally as a low-side salvage bike and built a new chassis.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

He has a build thread on supermotojunkie which is where I'm guessing you saw it. I think it's an awesome bike.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SpellEdge posted:

He has a build thread on supermotojunkie which is where I'm guessing you saw it. I think it's an awesome bike.

I saw it on another forum. Some random dude posted it and I guess it's for sale.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So I met up with a guy on Supermoto Junkie today, probably one of the only other motard owners in Connecticut, heh. He had both an Aprilia SVX and a Ducati Hypermotard, but was taking the Hyper today due to the Aprilia getting ready for an oil change.

Honestly, the Hyper is not really a motard at all. It's low, it's heavy, it doesn't have a lot of suspension travel...it's a streetbike with a bit of motard styling, really. That said, the dude could still wheelie better than me on it and we hit up some gravel roads and stuff, too, so it did fine. Basically we toured the northwest part of the state, which is more rural compared to the shoreline where I live, so it was a nice change of pace.

I've also gotten first gear clutchups down, but not second gear yet. Even with 16:40 gearing the 625 doesn't seem willing to just clutch up in second.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I've also gotten first gear clutchups down, but not second gear yet. Even with 16:40 gearing the 625 doesn't seem willing to just clutch up in second.

Pffffffffffffftttttttttttttttttttttttt. Second gear is where it's at on the 625. Hell even at high elevations (on vacation in NM right now, been riding mountains the past couple of days :dance: ) it still has plenty of oomph to bring the front up in second, jetted for just above sea level.. perhaps you're not using enough clutch? I find about the best speed to start at is fairly low in the rpm range in second, approximately 25mph. The engine is very torquey in that range, and it gives you a lot of revs to work with before you hvae to shift.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Can you post in detail how to do it? Body position, everything? I'm rolling along at 25mph in second, pull in the clutch fully, rev the gently caress out of it, dump the clutch, and I get maybe a couple inches off the ground. I'm sitting on the back of the seat as well, and I weigh goddamn 145 pounds. I'll try again tomorrow and see if I'm just not giving it enough beans.

The thing that confuses me is, I see instructional videos where this guy on a DRZ400 is basically riding along in 2nd or 3rd gear and literally just slips the clutch a tiny bit while holding the throttle steady and he gets his front end up, with seemingly no bouncing or other nonsense. I tried just quickly slipping the clutch and letting it out and it didn't do poo poo for me.

In first gear it's much more comfortable for me. Rolling at like 5mph, clutch in quickly, rev up maybe halfway, clutch dump, front end comes up nicely. Sadly I only get to carry it for a second or two before I run out of gearing and I'm not baller enough yet to clutchless upshift while my front is off the ground.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 18, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It really helps to give a solid tug on the bars as you dump the clutch.

And as spiff says, wheelies are all about wanting it. If it's not coming up, you need to want it more...wheelies are all about commitment. Lean back, dump the clutch, tug on the bars, and let it loft! Also helps to practice on an uphill...I can get the DRZ up to BP in 4th off the clutch on a good uphill. 3rd is doable on flat ground on the clutch.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
YUTTTTTTTTTTUGHHHHHHHHHHHH cover the rear brake dawg :v:

Really though it doesn't take THAT much clutch slip to do it. You may be sitting towards the back of the seat but if you lean forward (you probably are) your body weight is going to work against the front coming up. Here's a lovely wheelie but you can hear about how much I'm this person is slipping/dumping the clutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfuawYd3Cwk

So basically rear end back on the seat a bit, lean back and STAY leaned back, cover rear brake (dawg), little bit of clutch and a fair bit of gas. Wheelie :)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
If anyone's looking to spend 10 grand on a Supermoto, the FS570 has made it state side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNk6C-NI4k#t=6m14s

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

If anyone's looking to spend 10 grand on a Supermoto, the FS570 has made it state side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNk6C-NI4k#t=6m14s

That is really the best for their give no fucks attitude towards "testing".

Closed track? gently caress that, let's go back it in past some minivans!

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
People in here do clutch up wheelies? My 520 Ktm would power is up in 3rd with a slight bounce on the front forks to give it a little extra bump up

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

People in here do clutch up wheelies? My 520 Ktm would power is up in 3rd with a slight bounce on the front forks to give it a little extra bump up

I don't like bouncing it up, sometimes it comes up fast, and sometimes it comes up slow, depending on how hard you hit it...plus I've always felt like it makes my throttle control go wonky. Clutch feels like it gives me loads more control.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Yeah I can power wheelie and bounce my KTM pretty easily but like Z3n said, it can be pretty unpredictable. Plus, I like doing sit-down clutch-ups because, visually, it's like BAM WHEELIE OUT OF NOWHERE instead of seeing the rider get in his special position for it and bounce the front end first.

SpellEdge
Sep 14, 2007
Atk:13 Add: Don't Act

anything husaberg makes me hard. especially this.

Click here for the full 1181x707 image.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
So I am pretty set on doing the 3x3 airbox mod/carb rejet this winter to my DRZ400S(M). I have been reading thread after thread after thread on TT, other boards, this board, etc and am getting increasingly bewildered. Do I want to purchase a stage 1 jet kit or a stage 2 jet kit? Do I need to replace both jets or just the one? At this point, I want to stick with the stock exhaust--I may upgrade in the future and assume I will have to rejet again at such time. I live in Maryland and the mean elevation is 350 feet above sea level. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ohwandernearer posted:

So I am pretty set on doing the 3x3 airbox mod/carb rejet this winter to my DRZ400S(M). I have been reading thread after thread after thread on TT, other boards, this board, etc and am getting increasingly bewildered. Do I want to purchase a stage 1 jet kit or a stage 2 jet kit? Do I need to replace both jets or just the one? At this point, I want to stick with the stock exhaust--I may upgrade in the future and assume I will have to rejet again at such time. I live in Maryland and the mean elevation is 350 feet above sea level. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Post up in thumpertalk with the setting that you think is closest (so that you can prove you've done some research) and ask Eddie what he recommends. You're looking for the stage one kit, though, I can tell you that much. Eddie will have drat near exact settings for you out of the box.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I may be having my first female on the sumo this weekend. I know it's a common topic on these forums.

Usually a bike adds like +4 points.

With my gixxer it was about +10 and the pannies pretty much just flew off.

But with the sumo I think it's like -2 :(. I know, I know. Some girls get sumos. But those are few and far between. Maybe I'll just do some light trail riding. That'll show those sport bike guys!

Have faith in beaker.:ohdear:

Loud pipes save lives....

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 20, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

In my experience girls enjoy it if you make it fun, run over some curbs and such, scoot around, you can actually hold a conversation because they are fairly quiet, etc.

Make it work for ya

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wheelies.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

As sad as it is I still don't know how to wheelie. I find my 690 sm to be not very wheelie happy. I couldn't keep my friends 625 SMC front wheel on the ground, though.

I'll do some light trail riding and usual sumo shenanigans I suppose.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

ohwandernearer posted:

I went with the James Dean kit since it has the Allen head screws for the bowl. I stripped one so it turned out I needed them (everyone says this). Here's the basic recommendation for 3x3 with stock exhaust near sea-level (my current):

JD kit:
Blue Needle 4th Clip
155 main
25 pilot (factory fuel screw)
22.5 pilot (extended screw) -- this is the stock pilot
2.5-2.75 turns out

And this video shows you how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtKWbs0N5lo

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Spiffness posted:

you can actually hold a conversation because they are fairly quiet

You clearly have not witnessed my 625 SMC.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Christoff posted:

I find my 690 sm to be not very wheelie happy.

:can:
Here's what I know from SMC ownership, it probably still applies. Put on stock exhaust, make sure engine mapping is not on poor fuel mode, wire mod. Turn throttle all the way.

Zool fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 20, 2010

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Zool posted:

:can:
Here's what I know from SMC ownership, it probably still applies. Put on stock exhaust, make sure engine mapping is not on poor fuel mode, wire mod. Turn throttle all the way.

I thought SMCs were supposed to be insane wheelie monsters too, but I haven't found mine to be. It had an FMF pipe, Uni filter and the Acro map in it when I bought it. Maybe I need to pick up a tuneboy and buy some dyno time (or just learn how to ride the loving thing). Power wheelies in 1st are pretty easy, but it doesn't quite come up on throttle alone in 2nd or 3rd and I have no real idea how to clutch it up - I just end up surging forward a bit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They are wheelie monsters, but every aftermarket exhaust punches a massive hole in the midrange. Backpressure is good if you want midrange, and midrange is good if you want wheelies. The akra map may give you a few more peak HP, but peak HP doesn't mean poo poo for the vast majority of your street riding.

DRZs are the same way, any open, loud straight pipe tends to blast a hole in the midrange.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

They are wheelie monsters, but every aftermarket exhaust punches a massive hole in the midrange. Backpressure is good if you want midrange, and midrange is good if you want wheelies. The akra map may give you a few more peak HP, but peak HP doesn't mean poo poo for the vast majority of your street riding.

DRZs are the same way, any open, loud straight pipe tends to blast a hole in the midrange.

:science:
Ever wonder why race bikes/cars have exhaust pipes at all? Back-pressure would be really low if you just unbolted the headers.

The exhaust pulse flowing down the pipe leaves a low pressure area in it's wake, this low pressure area reduces the amount of energy sapped from the crankshaft during the exhaust stroke by helping to "suck" the next exhaust pulse out of the cylinder. The rpms where the low pressure wave will meet the exhaust valve right as it opens (and get the most benefit from this effect) depend on the exhaust gas velocity. Putting on an open exhaust will lower the exhaust gas velocity, and move this effect higher in the rev range. That could be good, or bad, depending on the bike. You certainly don't want it to occur at 10000rpm on a bike that redlines at 8500rpm.

My 690SMC came with a Leo Vince, and akramap installed, it was much much louder, and much much slower, than my roommates bone stock 690SMC. I doubt a tuneboy and dyno tune will be able to get you to the same torque output at 5000rpm (aka wheelie speed) as the stock bike.

If your SMC can't do this, http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiffness1#p/u/10/GrXgRtw_jR0 it's not right.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Zool posted:

:science:
If your SMC can't do this, http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiffness1#p/u/10/GrXgRtw_jR0 it's not right.

Stop doing this or I'm gonna take out a student loan to buy one.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Zool posted:

My 690SMC came with a Leo Vince, and akramap installed, it was much much louder, and much much slower, than my roommates bone stock 690SMC. I doubt a tuneboy and dyno tune will be able to get you to the same torque output at 5000rpm (aka wheelie speed) as the stock bike.

I'll see if I can get any deals on a stock exhaust that someone else has replaced with a slip-on on SMJ or eBay somewhere. I didn't get the stocker with the bike and I'm not dropping the better part of $700 to get one from the factory. In the meantime, I'll see about different inserts for the FMF.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

What's everybody's take on de-baffling a 625, then? My 625 came with de-baffled and shortened exhaust, and most people's opinions on SMJ indicate that this is a necessary part of the "de-corking" process fot the 625.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

What's everybody's take on de-baffling a 625, then? My 625 came with de-baffled and shortened exhaust, and most people's opinions on SMJ indicate that this is a necessary part of the "de-corking" process fot the 625.

Everything I've been told about 625's says that is a really good idea. For the 690 its more about the FI system.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I was following the work some Austrian guys were doing on another forum and it seems the problem is not fitting a new can to the 690 but retaining the airbox after changing it. The airbox is a very interesting design that straightens out the power curve into the near diagonal line that it is. Unfortunately It only seems to do it's job properly when it's used with the hot, heavy stainless lump that is the stock exhaust. Fitting an aftermarket can and factory remap will do little more than give you maybe 5HP on the top which it apparently robs from the midrange.

The only solution to this (that the Austrians found, anyway) was to do away with the airbox at the same time as the exhaust, replacing it with a generic pod filter. The stock ECU with factory maps can in no way handle this, so you have to either install a piggyback unit, remap the EFI with a Tuneboy or replace the entire ECU with a third party module.

Removing the airbox had the effect of shifting the entire power curve down the rev range by about 700-900RPM while maintaining low and mid range. The other benefits being a large amount of space freed up for extra fuel/storage under the seat and increased intake noise (if you like that sort of thing).

Bootnote:
The 690 Rallye, which is based on the same engine and chassis uses an FCR flatslide carb and an even weirder airbox. The factory team apparently didn't trust Keihin's EFI enough to put it racing (which I heard they had initially intended to).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So a sumo is a good choice for a first bike? There are hardly any in my area unfortunately.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Yes, they are lightweight, very easily maneuverable, and you are upright and thus can watch traffic very easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

They don't take any damage from drops really either.

• Locked thread