Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Picklejars, watch Taxi Driver

Autumn Sonata was emotionally devastating. Like Ran, I feel like it's the type of movie that could only be made by someone with a long mastery of one's craft. To that end, I. Bergman and I. Bergman both had almost effortless precision (though there were a few too many awkward zooms). The minimalism of the whole thing - one location, four (?) speaking roles, one topic - was refreshing.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Partie de campagne More Renoir, why not?

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Harold and Maude I used to get this confused with Thelma and Louise.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
penismightier - watch Harold and Maude

Stroszek was weird as hell, but there was some really hilarious stuff. The auction scene was pretty crazy, and the whole end scene was odd. I don't think the movie paints the most flattering portrait of America, although I can't say I fault it for that.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby - This one I've been meaning to see for a while. I haven't seen any of Polanski's so-called "Apartment Trilogy"

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly - Can never go wrong with more Bergman.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

dotCommunism posted:

Rosemary's Baby - This one I've been meaning to see for a while. I haven't seen any of Polanski's so-called "Apartment Trilogy"

Happy Halloween.

Just finished American History X and drat, that is a powerful film. Definitely just took me back. 9/10.

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#12 Barton Fink - I'm a big Coen Brothers fan but still haven't gotten around to this one. I've heard good things.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi, you get Barton Fink, one of my favorite Coen flicks.

Just watched Serpico last night. It was drat entertaining, and a pretty faithful adaptation of the book to boot. It wasn't quite Dog Day Afternoon, but Lumet and Pacino were both still in top form. I really liked the cinematography and the music too. 8/10

Revised list:

The Thin Man: I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: I need to see more classic silents, and the clips I've seen of this looked really loving cool.

Stray Dog: One of the few major Kurosawas I haven't seen. I intend to work my way through all his movies eventually.

Strangers on a Train: I need to see more Hitchcocks, too. Part of me wants to read the book before I see this, but whatever.

The Devil Rides Out: I love Hammer Horror films, and this one looks cool.

Scenes from a Marriage: Saw the full five-hour version at the library the other day. I better be ready to get really depressed, I guess.

Picnic at Hanging Rock: Looks cool, and I love what little Australian cinema I've seen.

Seen: The Manchurian Candidate, Rear Window, Faust, Serpico

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein you should watch Picnic at Hanging Rock since I saw that for the first time recently and thought it was fantastic.

I watched the 400 Blows a couple of weeks back but after I'd written several paragraphs my browser crashed so I was gonna wait till I had time and inclination to rewrite it but don't really have either. I loved it though, maybe the best I've watched for the thread so far.

Revised list:
Pigs and Battleships - Loved both the Imamura films I saw recently so I'm wanting to watch more when I get the chance. Feel free to sub this for one you like better, I'll probably get round to most of his sooner or later.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Sullivan's Travels - Another film about Hollywood since I enjoyed Sunset Boulevard so much, and I've heard it's pretty funny.

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

In the Mood for Love - Haven't seen anything by Wong Kar-wai except Chungking express which I liked but not enough to seek out anything else. I've heard good things about this though?

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - Need to watch more Greenaway since I've loved what I've seen so far.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

The Maltese Falcon - More Bogart/Huston that I haven't seen.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Harold and Maude was very one note. The first half hour was the same joke over and over - the suicide poo poo was impressive and funny the first time, annoying the fifth. I didn't like Harold and I didn't like Maude. I really didn't like Maude. Oh well. It was well shot, though, and I always love Cat Stevens, and it was cool to see MASH's General Hammond with a hairpiece. Oh, and Tom Skerritt was pretty funny.

Noxville, try The Magnificent Ambersons. It's not one of Welles' best, but that means it's still quite great.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

Cleo from 5 to 7 Only recently popped up on my radar.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 15, 2010

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
I just got L'Atalante from the library, penismightier, so that jumped out at me from your list.

Frankly, I just didn't like Jules et Jim. There were a few really great shots, and I love the song that Albert and Catherine sing, but overall I wasn't impressed.

New List:

Sunrise Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

La Dolce Vita or La Strada Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush or Modern Times Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Ordet Excited to watch this after having recently seen The Passion of Joan of Arc.

L'Avventura I've never seen any Antonioni, but I'm finding I really like Italian film from this period.

Contempt Never had any interest in Godard until recently.

Intolerance I guess I just haven't gotten around to it yet?

L'Atalante Never heard of this until I started going through TSPDT's list, and I've heard good things about it.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

tokillthesunflower, you get Modern Times because it's really fun and because I find most of the rest of your list overrated to varying degrees.

drat, I can't believe it took me this long, work's really taking over my movie time. Mishima was, um, interesting but really incomprehensible to me. I really liked the music and it's very well shot and highly stylized, but it seems to demand a familiarity with Mishima and his works that I don't have. It interweaves what I assume are parts of his plays with parts of his life, all contextualized in terms of the final day of his life, where he commits seppuku after holding a military general hostage. If I had known more about him I think I would have been more interested in seeing all these pieces fit together, as the film certainly has some very good scenes. With out the background, though, I must admit that I found it really hard to take much away from the film besides his very bizarre view of patriotism. My interest levels were all over the place, depending on how much the content of each specific storyline of the moment interested and made sense to me, and even know not all of the scenes really make sense to me. I might give this another chance, but I really don't think this is a film where coming in cold helps at all.

Updated list:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Novecento OK, I've decided I want to watch the top 600 TSPDT films by the end of the year. With only 17 left it shouldn't be too hard , but there's a handful I'm reluctant to watch and this one tops the list.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds (1953) Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Floating Weeds Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Ozu in a while.

A Face in the Crowd No reason for not watching this, it's always been near the top of my list of stuff I want to watch but keeps getting pushed down.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Heaven's Gate Is this really as much of a disaster as its reputation leads one to believe? I have to find out.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams[ 6/10 , Mishima 7/10

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Peaceful Anarchy, I'm giving you Novecento.

Barton Fink was amazing. Definitely the Coens in their top form. It also makes me wonder why John Turturro isn't better recognized as an actor. Everyone in this film is perfect and I love every one of the Coen's little motifs and symbols. It's always fun trying to figure them out while watching their films. 9/10

#1 Eraserhead - I've never seen a David Lynch film before. I've had this one on my hard drive for awhile now and I've always been curious about it.

#2 Apocalypse Now - I started watching it about a year ago. I got about thirty minutes in and got too tired to stay up. Never finished it.

#4 The Maltese Falcon - I like noir and my grandpa told me it was great.

#5 There Will Be Blood - My friend loves this movie and is constantly telling me to watch it.

#7 Goldfinger - I've never seen a Connery Bond movie and for this I feel terrible. In fact, any of them will do but this is the one I hear the most about.

#9 High Fidelity - This is the movie everybody tells me I'll love and are kind of shocked I haven't seen it.

#14 Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? - This one doesn't get mentioned a lot but is supposed to be a classic. Willing to give it a watch and it's on Netflix instant.

#15 The Godfather - It's on Netflix instant now, I really have no excuse for this one.

#16 Bonnie & Clyde - I bought this one awhile back and just haven't watched it.

#17 Seven Samurai - I enjoyed Rashomon and for a film with such praise I should probably watch it. The run time was a little off putting but I do want to see it.

Seen so far:
#10 Pan's Labyrinth, #11 The Wild Bunch, #3 The Warriors, #13 Chinatown, #6 Dr. Strangelove, #8 American History X, #12 Barton Fink

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TrixRabbi posted:

Finish it.

Fanny and Alexander is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'm hard-pressed to think of a stronger ensemble of actors that so thoroughly nail their respective roles. The drama unfolds without flaw; I was completely unsure of what was to come, and joyously surprised at every turn. The cinematography, subdued yet profound, perfectly complements the subtle themes of the story. There are so many moments of philosophical genius in here and I imagine you all already know this so I'll shut up now. I can't wait to see it again. This is the best thread ever.

1. His Girl Friday: Appease my Cary Grant fetish.

2. 8 1/2: I have seen zero Fellini, period.

3. Grand Illusion: All I know about this movie is that all film buffs think it's great and that Woody Allen references it at least once. Sounds like my cup of tea.

4. Rashomon: I've seen a good chunk of Kurosawa's stuff, but in his case, there's always more great stuff to be seen.

5. The Rules of the Game: Another Renoir, apparently. The only Renoir I've seen is The Crime of Monsieur Lange, which I hated, but I also saw it when I was 15 and hated everything that didn't have Bruce Campbell in it.

6. Stroszek: My experiences with Herzog's famous stuff is really limited. I've pretty much only seen his recent stuff.

7. The Wages of Fear: I don't know, it's old and it's French. It's probably good.

8. Tokyo Story: Might as well start banging out these They Shoot Pictures movies. I really want to check out Ozu.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Any John Wayne movie with Rio or River in the title: I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about any of them.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Kull the Conqueror - you get 8 1/2.

Rosemary's Baby was nice and creepy. It let you know that something wasn't quite right but kept you from quite figuring it out for a while. Kept things nice and subdued but still scary.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly - Can never go wrong with more Bergman.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
dotCommunism, you get Through a Glass Darkly. Like you wrote, you can't go wrong with more Bergman.

Saw Eyes Wide Shut and with the risk of sounding like I dig every movie I see, I must still say I loving loved it. Right down to every, single tiny detail, this is Kubrick dissecting the cynical, exploits of the poor at the hands of the rich and the greed and lack of compassion among people in the contemporary western world. The second best Kubrick-movie after Barry Lyndon. (5/5)

quote:

1. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, I need to see something by Parajanov and I guess this is the place to start.

2. L'Atalante, supposedly one of the greatest love movies ever made. I've been wanting to find out whether that's true or not but always ended up seeing something else instead.

3. La Strada, I have a similar track record with Fellini as with Tarkovsky and this must change. I'm not sure why I haven't seen La Strada yet. Probably because I don't like circuses.

4. Down By Law, the stuff I've seen by Jim Jarmusch so far has been great and I love Tom Waits, I really can't explain why I haven't seen this.

5. Gertrud, I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc and was awed by who beautiful it was. I guess Dreyers religiousness has put me off so far.

6. Salo, want to see this mainly because Michael Haneke mentions it as one of his favorite films of all time. I haven't seen it yet because I'm pretty sure it will make me feel like poo poo.

7. Last Tango In Paris, will probably be my first Bertolucci. Imagining a bloated Marlon Brando naked isn't a very pleasant thought.

8. Satantango, I saw Werckmeister Harmonies and loved it. Satantangos massive running time of seven hours has made me reluctant to see it so far.

9. L'avventura, I have so far loved everything I've seen by Antonioni, but I was hellishly tired when I tried to see this one for the first time so I shut it off and went to sleep after half an hour and then had to return it the day after. Bummer.

10. Eyes Wide Shut
Marketa Lazarova, voted best Czech movie ever. I want to check it out.

Seen: Notorious (5/5), The Manchurian Candidate (4/5), The Man Who Fell To Earth (3/5), Andrei Rublev (5/5), The Leopard (5/5), Eyes Wide Shut (5/5).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MonkeeKong, Satantango is the only thing on your list I really like, so you get that.

I have such mixed feelings on Novecento. It was long, and while I generally enjoy long movies I dislike a bunch of Bertolucci's pet obsessions which made much of the middle 3 hours really drag. There are many scenes whose only reason for existence is that Bertolucci wanted to film them, and the way he strikes the "hope exists in darkness" tone really annoys me. On the other hand it was really well shot and the acting is entertaining and by the end a lot of it comes together really well. There's a ton to explore in here if one is interested, and if the tone worked for me I could imagine it being something I'd want to revisit over and over. At the end of the day the choice to add the final scene with Alberto and Olmo as old men fighting and recalling their youth on the tracks instead of ending it after Alberto says The Master lives is representative of the tonal emphasis on upbeat idealization that I disliked.

Updated list:

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds (1953) Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Floating Weeds Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Ozu in a while.

A Face in the Crowd No reason for not watching this, it's always been near the top of my list of stuff I want to watch but keeps getting pushed down.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Heaven's Gate Is this really as much of a disaster as its reputation leads one to believe? I have to find out.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2010

MonkeeKong
May 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Quick question about Satantango, should I watch it all in one sitting or can I split it up?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

MonkeeKong posted:

Quick question about Satantango, should I watch it all in one sitting or can I split it up?

It's broken into episodes, so you can split it up. I wouldn't break it up too much though, there's a rhythm to it.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

dotCommunism posted:

Rosemary's Baby was nice and creepy. It let you know that something wasn't quite right but kept you from quite figuring it out for a while. Kept things nice and subdued but still scary.

Here's a bit of trivia for you. Roman Polanski was the director of the film, who was married to Sharon Tate. Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson Family, who's leader, Charles Manson, felt he had to start a revolution per the instructions he received from The Beatles White Album by killing Sharon Tate and her friends and trying to blame it on black people. John Lennon, one of the forefront members of The Beatles group, lived and died at The Dakota, a luxury apartment building in New York City. This also was the same building used to film the movie Rosemary's baby, directed by Roman Polanski.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 17, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

It's broken into episodes, so you can split it up. I wouldn't break it up too much though, there's a rhythm to it.

You can, but if you do you're a loser. :colbert:

(I will try to actually watch my movie this week guys!)

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Peaceful Anarchy, watch A Face in the Crowd. That came out of nowhere and impressed me.

V For Vendetta was a decent 1984 clone I suppose. I'm not sure whether I was supposed to know that V was obviously the one holding Natalie Portman's character hostage, but it was pretty blatant. One way or the other, I really appreciated the inspector's character arc. He was the only character I truly enjoyed.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

6. Last Year at Marienbad- Next highest for me on They Shoot Pictures, Don't They? list. I don't know anything about it but it's on The List.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

NEW 10. Spirited Away- I usually completely ignore animated features unless I'm really compelled for some reason. This one appears on too many "best of" lists for me to keep ignoring, I suppose.

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, To Be Or Not To Be, The Earrings of Madame de..., Bringing Up Baby, Barry Lyndon, V for Vendetta

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Brian Fellows, Last Year at Marienbad is a beautiful film, so that's the one you get. You don't need to know anything about it going in, just that it's all about the visuals and mood rather than plot.

A Face in the Crowd is pretty damned amazing. For the first half hour I didn't see what was so special, it was good but nothing I hadn't seen before. Then it started getting better and better and never stopped right up to an impressive finale. Andy Griffith just blew me away with a character I would never have imagined he'd be able to pull off, and the rest of the cast is pretty solid too. This is Network two decades earlier, with a direct attack on populism and media celebrity that still rings true today, though its form has changed.

Updated list:

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Fantomas I liked Les Vampires, so let's give another silent serial a shot.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I wasn't feeling L'Atalante at all for the first half hour or so, but once the plot started settling in I really liked it. The last half hour or so was tremendous, but it was a rocky start and felt a lot longer than it actually was. Still, Jean Vigo's very skilled at small meaningful character beats and visual quirks - like the kittens playing on record player and that fantastic scene where he pretends to play the record with his finger. It's much praised for its cinematography, which intrigues me because I thought it was pretty sloppy looking at times. The underwater scene was pure poetry.

PA, try Floating Weeds.

New List:

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

It's much praised for its cinematography, which intrigues me because I thought it was pretty sloppy looking at times.

I agree with most of what you wrote, especially this. Vigo could really have used a good editor, and some more experience. I think the praise for the cinematography isn't for what it looks like, but for where he's able to put the camera in the scene. If I recall he does an awful lot with that really cramped boat and in the bar scene, lots of angles and perspectives that are ahead of their time, even if he didn't always use them effectively.

Hopefully, I'll find some time soon to watch Floating Weeds.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It's kind of a vexing movie. It had a pattern of 15 really dull minutes and then 5 touching ones. I would say Vigo's better suited to shorts, but I liked it more than Zero de Conduite, so there goes that theory. It's got great moments hiding in a pretty uninspired overall product, but I'm sure those moments will linger with me.

Also, I see your point about the camera placement. The interiors are definitely more impressive than the rest. Every now and again the camerawork really struck me - the swimming scene, the bar scene (the usage of that little window was inspired), and that dream sequence in particular; but overall it just felt slapped together.

I also watched The Long Voyage Home last week, which is a hard act to follow in terms of shooting on a boat.

EDIT: I feel like I need more context to really appreciate what I saw. Has anyone read the BFI Classics book on L'Atalante? Is it any good?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 18, 2010

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Shortcomings yes, but Vigo died younger than 30 years old, so I'm pretty drat impressed with what he was able to do before really getting any experience whatsoever.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
penismightier, I've noticed you and I have some commonalities in taste, but I haven't seen any of your listed movies, so I had to go with a random choice. The die has been cast (literally) and you get Anticipation of the Night.

I just finished Natural Born Killers and that movie was stunning. It's incredibly well-done. The cinematography is excellent, and Stone's unconventional directing make it stand out. I really think this is the best film I've seen from Stone; he really perfected a lot of what he tried for with The Doors and ultimately failed at.

Even though the film is now a legendary skewering of the media, I didn't see it as scapegoating. Of course, the film wasn't exactly kind to the media, but there was considerable time spent on other themes, like violence begetting more violence, the effect their upbringings had on them, and the remorse they felt when they killed the Native American and the brief flash of almost-humanity that followed. The ending was the most surprising part; I was sure they'd die, but obviously that didn't happen. Stone's comment that if they died, it had to be at the hands of another serial killer makes perfect sense in the context of the film; I can't help but wonder whether the movie would be better or worse with that scene in the theatrical cut.

With that said, the very ending montage was pretty heavy-handed. The message is very clear without it.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers

Alien: I have never seen an Alien movie in my life. I have no idea how this happened. I'm not the biggest Sigourney fan; she reminds me of someone really obnoxious I know in real life. Even so, I know I should really see this.
Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.
American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.
Boogie Nights: I hate to say it, but Paul Thomas Anderson has only made one movie I've liked: Hard Eight. But this and Punch-Drunk Love are the only features of his I have yet to see, so I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 18, 2010

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

CloseFriend, you get the sci-fi/horror masterpiece Alien, just imagine Ripley is your obnoxious friend whenever she gets frightened/jumps/gets slapped across the face/gets blood on her!

I took my time watching The Grapes of Wrath, you'd think I would have learned my lesson on being wary of 2 hour movies by now but it still put me off... last night I eventually settled down after Match of the Day 2 & watched it. It was simply an excellent movie, the story of Tom Joad is timeless & I officially adore this thread because without it I probably never would have bothered.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) (1928, Carl Theodore Dreyer)
As far as 1920's films this one is probably in the higher tier of 'must see'. The iconic imagery is already in my head, it's just a matter of watching the film now!

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

17. Stagecoach (1939, John Ford)
Outside of The Quiet Man I have not watched a John Wayne movie all the way through, this is supposed to be one of John Ford's best too so I definetly feel a bit ashamed never seeing it.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Bison: You get The Passion of Joan of Arc, a beautiful movie

Watched Stagecoach over the weekend, and thought it was fantastic. The big chase between the Stagecoach and the Indians was really well done and exciting. Lots of fun

My updated list:

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

4. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Silence of the Lambs:
Just never got around to watching the full thing.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Good luck, man. I tried a year or so ago, it's harder than it sounds.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

penismightier posted:

Good luck, man. I tried a year or so ago, it's harder than it sounds.

I know it's going to be a slog, did you keep note of how many you got through? There's near 60 to see if I remember right.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I have a checklist somewhere. I got just about everything from 1934 to 1964, and then a handful of the silents and late ones. I forget why I stopped - maybe it's time to finish him up.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

BisonDollah posted:

I know it's going to be a slog, did you keep note of how many you got through? There's near 60 to see if I remember right.

59 according to Criticker. I've only seen 11.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

zandert33 posted:

7. Silence of the Lambs:
Just never got around to watching the full thing.

One of the better movies of the last 20 years that I've seen, and the only movie on your list that I have actually watched.

Finally got around to watching Casablanca and man, what a movie. It's far from the flashiest film around but the dialogue, acting and story are pitch perfect.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights - I have never seen a silent movie and I'm curious to see if I could like one.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas
Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Anticipation of the Night was the best I've seen of Brakhage and one of those most interesting avant garde films I've watched in a long time. The tea-cup ride footage, that shot of the flamingo (or was that a heron? this needs a restoration) flapping its wing, and the drifting shots of the sleeping infant were just beautiful. I think this is when Brakhage came the closest to achieving his idea of untrained-eye cinema. The camera frames like it doesn't know what it's looking at. The editing rhythm is astounding, and manages to make 40 minutes of pictures of trees sort of exciting.

Atheistdeals, you have a hard list to choose from. It's a tossup between Aguirre, City Lights, Wild Strawberries, and The Trial. I'ma say City Lights because silent films are nothing to fear and you're totally on the cusp of opening yourself up to a whole new cinematic experience.

New List:

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier, Cleo from 5 to 7 is really good, watch it.

Floating Weeds was really nice, very Ozu but different enough from his other work that it didn't feel at all repetitive. Nothing really wowed me, but I was interested for the whole running time, it had very pretty use of colours, nice acting and well crafted characters. A really pleasant experience and one that may push me back into watching some Ozu.

Updated list:

Fantomas I liked Les Vampires, so let's give another silent serial a shot.

The Crucified Lovers Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Mizoguchi in a while.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10

meanmikhail
Oct 26, 2006

The angriest Russian around

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I am so sorry. This is the only one of these I've seen, so it's the only one I can recommend. Good luck...

Finally got around to The Apartment, which I loved. Jack Lemmon is shaping up to be one of my favorite actors, and this would rank alongside Some Like it Hot as one of my favorite films from either him or Wilder.

Updated list:

1. La Dolce Vita- I haven’t seen enough Fellini

2. Koyaanisqatsi- I own in on video, so watching would be easy, but…

3. Red River- See # 2

4. The Big Parade- See # 2

5. Grave of the Fireflies- I’m afraid I might shoot myself after watching it, but I want to see it nonetheless.

6. Prizzi’s Honor- I recorded it, but it was never watched, and now I don't have it anymore. But I'd still like to see it.

7. Broken Blossoms- I liked Intolerance a lot and…appreciated Birth of a Nation. Let’s see some more Griffith!

8. The Last Waltz- It’s the only major Scorsese work I haven’t seen

9. The Kingdom- I've seen Dogville but I'm otherwise inexperienced with von Trier. I have it on video and I've started it, but...

10. Charlie Chaplin’s silent films

Finally seen: The Searchers, Pather Panchali, The Sting, Ran, The Great Dictator, Fitzcarraldo, Badlands, Time Bandits, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Apartment

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Meanmikhail, here's the plan. You're gonna get some beer, call some friends, and kick back and get your groove on to The Last Waltz.

Cleo from 5 to 7 was really good. I appreciated Varda's ability to utilize the successful aspects of Rope and all those high-concept real-time movies without sacrificing the New Wave's light, spontaneous style. Cleo and Dorothee were both gorgeous. Angele was strange - constantly theatening to break the fourth wall. Nicely done all around. Very novelistic, but very cinematic at the same time (if that makes sense). Varda's camera is restless as hell, and ballsy. The shot where the camera sways to the beat of the song made me smile, and kind of reminded me of Abel Gance. I hated the stupid loving Godard interlude, though.

New List:

Wavelength I pretend like I'm waiting for a good quality release, but I think I'm just intimidated by this movie. Google Video'll do fine.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 19, 2010

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

penismightier, you get Wavelength. For some reason it's on my 'to watch' list & the IMDb reviews of it make me laugh no end, hope it isn't as insufferable as they make out!

The Passion of Joan of Arc is indeed a beautiful film, terribly sad & emotive. Maria Falconetti is simply iconic in the role & Carl Theodor Dreyer done a fantastic job making her so, the imagery is just astonishing - particularly at the climax of the film.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

17. Stagecoach (1939, John Ford)
Outside of The Quiet Man I have not watched a John Wayne movie all the way through, this is supposed to be one of John Ford's best too so I definetly feel a bit ashamed never seeing it.

18. The Public Enemy (1931, William A. Wellman)
I've never sat through an old Warner Brothers gangster movie & I think it's fair to say I've been missing out.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) - 8/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Make sure you turn the sound way up on Wavelength to get the full experience.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I like Wavelength, but I don't begrudge anyone who hates it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Ooooh this is gonna be somethin', isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

BisonDollah - Stagecoach

Wavelength is something I never want to see again ever, but actually wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. Compared to something like T.O.U.C.H.I.N.G. or La Monte Young's Black Album (to say nothing of Jay-Z's), I could've watched it standing on my head. Is it weird that I felt a strong influence on The Shining? I don't have much to say about it now that it's done, but I wasn't able to take my eyes away from it. I need a walk.

I had a half a bottle of gin this morning and watched Wavelength this evening and Wavelength BY FAR left me feeling dizzier and more blurry-eyed.

EDIT: Here's a thought: how come nobody's made a traditional-narrative version of this? A murder mystery done in a single zoom leading to a revelation? Sounds good to me, b.

New List:

Saddle the Wind Rod Serling wrote a western and I haven't watched it. What the hell?

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 20, 2010