Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Also, 4x5 roll film? Can you still get that?

I propose a new subforum in-joke

I wish you could still buy film packs, though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

EDIT: I also wanted to ask if you can get colour infrared film anymore. Anyone know?

None that I'm aware of. Old stock of Kodak EIR shows up occasionally but it'll usually cost your firstborn. (Not that it didn't originally originally cost an arm and a leg.)

Looking at the tech pub for EIR, you could probably generate your own false color infrared images with a roll of infrared B&W film, a roll of color film, and a little channel swapping in Photoshop. It won't be the same false color as EIR (it had both infrared sensitivity like nothing today and crazy curves on its two color layers), and it's definitely less convenient, but it should fit the requirements of "color" and "infrared."

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What's the abosolute cheapest scanner capable of scanning b&w 120 negatives? I'd like to shoot more film but I really don't have the time/money/space to get into a full darkroom setup, and I don't want to have to drive all the way to my LCS to get usable prints out of my negatives.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So I bought my Canon A2e and my Crop mount Tamron 17-50, Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Tokina 11-16 2.8 feel REALLY grindy trying to put them on, so I stop and don't try to force it.

Am I flat out stupid for even thinking it's going to work? It's EF mount, so I totally don't have a zoom for this thing.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunkman posted:

So I bought my Canon A2e and my Crop mount Tamron 17-50, Sigma 30mm f1.4 and Tokina 11-16 2.8 feel REALLY grindy trying to put them on, so I stop and don't try to force it.

Am I flat out stupid for even thinking it's going to work? It's EF mount, so I totally don't have a zoom for this thing.

I have all three of those lenses and they all work fine on my A2E.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

HPL posted:

I have all three of those lenses and they all work fine on my A2E.

Yeah, I oh so gently tried pushing the Sigma 30mm on there carefully and realized it fit fine. I guess mine is just a bit old so it's grindy, but they all actually fit and work now.

How bad is the vignetting?

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005
I've just advised my friend to buy a Praktica Super TL3 with a 50/1.8 Pentacon lens, for £20 - what are the general feelings on this as a starter camera?

http://www.praktica-collector.de/199_Praktica_super_TL3.htm

Also does anyone know how hardy the light seals are? I shoot Olympus but I couldn't recommend she buy an OM10 on eBay, given that the light seals will definitely be gone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't light seals kits like 10 bucks (and pretty easy to apply)?
I replaced the seals on my F3 in less than half an hour.

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Aren't light seals kits like 10 bucks (and pretty easy to apply)?
I replaced the seals on my F3 in less than half an hour.

Yeah but she won't know how so I'll have to do it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

EDIT: I also wanted to ask if you can get colour infrared film anymore. Anyone know?

there was a guy in germany who was shipping rolls at $25 & shipping last year.

se:http://www.tarquinius.de/ and his portfolio: http://www.bennici.net/fotografie/

he done sold out :(

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I posted a while back that I had found a Promaster Film SLR with a 50mm f/1.9 on it at the Goodwill for $3. Well, it's taken me this long to shoot through a 24 roll of BW400CN. I finally got it back and scanned it using my Epson 2480. Here's a sampling. I did throw these in lightroom and bump up the contrast, Most of them were pretty dull, I'm not sure if that's the film or the scanning.

I've noticed the bokeh is really odd, it has an almost swirling appearance to it.

Anyway, not bad for a $3 camera. (and my first time dealing with film)

BTW, I scanned these at 4800 dpi on my Epson, What DPI do you guys usually scan at? 4800 dpi makes some pretty huge tiffs. I used the Export as DNG option in Lightroom to turn them into DNGs and that saved me a bit of space. What format do you guys keep your scans in?

echobucket fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 19, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

echobucket posted:

I posted a while back that I had found a Promaster Film SLR with a 50mm f/1.9 on it at the Goodwill for $3. Well, it's taken me this long to shoot through a 24 roll of BW400CN. I finally got it back and scanned it using my Epson 2480. Here's a sampling. I did throw these in lightroom and bump up the contrast, Most of them were pretty dull, I'm not sure if that's the film or the scanning.

I've noticed the bokeh is really odd, it has an almost swirling appearance to it.

BTW, I scanned these at 4800 dpi on my Epson, What DPI do you guys usually scan at? 4800 dpi makes some pretty huge tiffs. I used the Export as DNG option in Lightroom to turn them into DNGs and that saved me a bit of space. What format do you guys keep your scans in?

Yeah, it looks like a diet-Petzval or something.

4800dpi is overkill, and is exceeding the resolution of the scanner's optics. Usually around 1200-1800 is considered optimum, from a filesize/detail standpoint.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunkman posted:

How bad is the vignetting?

It varies. Generally crop zoom lenses will have no vignetting at the long end and end up with a whole circle at the short end.

Zegnar posted:

Yeah but she won't know how so I'll have to do it.

Try running a roll of film through first. Many cameras can run fine with poor seals or without seals.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Wow film is expensive. I bought 4x24 rolls of Fuji 400 for $10, and it costs like $9 to develop 24 frames. I immediately regret this decision.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunkman posted:

Wow film is expensive. I bought 4x24 rolls of Fuji 400 for $10, and it costs like $9 to develop 24 frames. I immediately regret this decision.

$9? That's ridiculous. It shouldn't cost more than $4-5 for develop-only if it's plain old film.

The place where you get maximum benefit with film is shooting medium or large format.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
So....... is film the greatest thing ever? Why didn't anyone try this before? Film is the way of the future.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 20, 2010

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dunkman posted:

So....... is film the greatest thing ever? Why didn't anyone try this before? Film is the way of the future.
I don't understand, are you trying to say film sucks because you overpaid for processing and got crappy minilab scans?

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

FasterThanLight posted:

I don't understand, are you trying to say film sucks because you overpaid for processing and got crappy minilab scans?

No! I think they're awesome. I'm just being facetious, I really like the way they came out, it's really unlike digital. I just took them to Walgreens. It's my first roll of film, and on top of that I'm a new photographer anyways.

I'm not down on film at all! I'm looking in to getting some good B&W film and going from there.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Gotcha, the "regret this decision" thing confused me. Minilab scans are frustrating to me, they have (what I assume to be) really awesome equipment, but you end up with low resolution JPGs with bad auto white balance. Go get an Epson V500 or similar, you'll find it will pay for itself quick!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dunkman posted:

No! I think they're awesome. I'm just being facetious, I really like the way they came out, it's really unlike digital. I just took them to Walgreens. It's my first roll of film, and on top of that I'm a new photographer anyways.

I'm not down on film at all! I'm looking in to getting some good B&W film and going from there.

CVS here only charges $2.60 after tax (or thereabouts) to develop a roll of C-41. I wound up getting my own scanner (Epson V500, go for around $125ish secondhand) when I started B&W, because theirs couldn't handle real black and white film, just the fake C-41 stuff. Getting a lab to develop black and white film is even more expensive than C-41, since it's so easy pretty much everybody does it themselves. C-41 really isn't that bad to do on your own either, but 1-hour drugstore places are so cheap it hardly seems worth it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

FasterThanLight posted:

Gotcha, the "regret this decision" thing confused me. Minilab scans are frustrating to me, they have (what I assume to be) really awesome equipment, but you end up with low resolution JPGs with bad auto white balance. Go get an Epson V500 or similar, you'll find it will pay for itself quick!

I was wondering about my particular scanner.. it's an Epson 2480 Photo, and has a 35mm negative and slide film scanner built in. Are the newer scanners a lot better than this? I mean, how would it compare with the V500?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

echobucket posted:

I was wondering about my particular scanner.. it's an Epson 2480 Photo, and has a 35mm negative and slide film scanner built in. Are the newer scanners a lot better than this? I mean, how would it compare with the V500?

The V500 is faster (has an LED light source, no warm-up time) and probably has better dynamic range, as well as a better max res.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The V500 is faster (has an LED light source, no warm-up time) and probably has better dynamic range, as well as a better max res.

And scans 120 film too.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

echobucket posted:

I'm surprised that your pictures came out that well, I really really hated color-process (-CN) black and white film when I tried it - got horrible muddy contrast and noise comparable to something like P3200.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 20, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

noise comparable to something like P3200. Real B&W film is way better.

Waas your film long expired or something? Because generally C-41 B/W should give you a much cleaner image than a comprable speed B/W film.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Reichstag posted:

Waas your film long expired or something? Because generally C-41 B/W should give you a much cleaner image than a comprable speed B/W film.

Most likely, but I've never noticed that much awfulness in my other expired films. Hrm. I dunno.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
I have a question about film ISO vs digital ISO. I shoot digitally at the lowest natural ISO so that I can get the best image quality I can. I've been doing something similar to this with film in that I shoot at 100 ISO so that I get the least grain and therefore better looking pictures. However, when researching how people shoot medium format in low light I found that in one of the threads on photo.net someone said that finer grain, low ISO film is slightly less sharp or softer than higher ISO. I haven't been able to find anything else about that and I was wondering if that is true. Also does it really help that much to shoot 100 ISO film if film is more like a prime lens while a digital sensor is a zoom, or should I not be afraid of high ISO?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Low ISO on film is different from low ISO on digital in that when people talk about low ISO film, they're usually talking about 25-50 whereas on digital it's usually 80-200. ISO is still ISO, it's a matter of relative range of what people are used to. Classically, 100 is "medium speed" film and 400 is "high speed", but that comes from the good old days back when people still wore top hats and monocles.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Crossposting from the Snapshot a Day thread

Kodak Ektachrome E100G, Shibukawa Bellybutton Festival

Kodak Ektar 100, Kusatsu Onsen

Kodak Portra 160NC, Palcall Ski Resort, Tsumagoi, Gunma

Fuji Provia 400X, Otaru, Hokkaido

Kodak Portra 160NC, friend of mine

I have to say, my scans have turned out better ever since I changed my routine with VueScan.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

echobucket posted:

This happens on my Nikon S2 at wide apertures, or maybe the widest, I'm not sure. It's almost like the the bokeh has wide-angle distortion while the in focus portion doesn't.

@ Voodoo, really like that Ektachrome sky shot. I've mostly shot with Velvia but I find myself moving toward Kodak's slides lately.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

East Lake posted:

This happens on my Nikon S2 at wide apertures, or maybe the widest, I'm not sure. It's almost like the the bokeh has wide-angle distortion while the in focus portion doesn't.

How do you like your S2? I have kind-of wanted one for a while.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I'm not experienced with old rangefinders but I love it. Feels really well built, no batteries, 1:1 viewfinder. The images from 50/1.4 I have are pretty soft looking at at 1.4 and maybe a few other wide apertures (haven't experimented with it much) but it doesn't bother me, I try to stay away from heavy bokeh when possible anyway. I got the 50 as a bargain lens at KEH and it looks almost perfect.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

East Lake posted:

@ Voodoo, really like that Ektachrome sky shot. I've mostly shot with Velvia but I find myself moving toward Kodak's slides lately.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was lucky to catch it because it disappeared a minute after I took it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fiannaiocht posted:

I have a question about film ISO vs digital ISO. I shoot digitally at the lowest natural ISO so that I can get the best image quality I can. I've been doing something similar to this with film in that I shoot at 100 ISO so that I get the least grain and therefore better looking pictures. However, when researching how people shoot medium format in low light I found that in one of the threads on photo.net someone said that finer grain, low ISO film is slightly less sharp or softer than higher ISO. I haven't been able to find anything else about that and I was wondering if that is true. Also does it really help that much to shoot 100 ISO film if film is more like a prime lens while a digital sensor is a zoom, or should I not be afraid of high ISO?

Grainier film (or digital) appears sharper because the grain hides fine detail.

Sometimes if I has a photo that is just a little blurry I will add some grain in post.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I'm considering buying a V500 and a betterscanning 120 holder. Are there any other scanners at around the same price point that I should be considering? I'd love to be able to scan 5x4 too but I can't stretch to a V700.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have come to the conclusion that the Fed-2 is the best Russian rangefinder ever.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

HPL posted:

I have come to the conclusion that the Fed-2 is the best Russian rangefinder ever.

I absolutely love mine. The Industar-26 lens that came with mine is absolutely amazing. I just wish the drat thing had a light meter.

One of the reasons I would like to get a NEX camera is so that I can adapt the Industar-26 for use with digital. Definitely a lot of fun and it lessens my desire for a Leica.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ZoCrowes posted:

I absolutely love mine. The Industar-26 lens that came with mine is absolutely amazing. I just wish the drat thing had a light meter.

Oh god, if the Fed-2 had aperture priority metering which didn't involve the camera getting stupid looking like the Kiev 4A, it would be absolute sex.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Ric posted:

I'm considering buying a V500 and a betterscanning 120 holder. Are there any other scanners at around the same price point that I should be considering? I'd love to be able to scan 5x4 too but I can't stretch to a V700.

You could try and find one of the older ones (The 4990 is the most recent, pre V-series IIRC) that do LF if that's a priority for you, but you'll take a hit in overall image quality for the 35mm and 120 you scan versus the newer ones. The older ones aren't garbage by any means, but they aren't as modern.

HPL posted:

Special Olympics, etc :v:

ZoCrowes posted:

One of the reasons I would like to get a NEX camera is so that I can adapt the Industar-26 for use with digital. Definitely a lot of fun and it lessens my desire for a Leica.

Not Av, but you could toss a Voigtlander VC2 in the hotshoe and be good to go. They're rather expensive for what they are, but look pretty convenient. OTOH, you can get a sweet spotmeter for less, and just jam it in your back pocket (how I carry my Pentax V when I'm shooting LF) when not in use. The V was less than a hundred dollars on eBay, and I love that drat thing.

Glad to have another member in the gently caress Leica Rangefinder Mafia :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I'm done with clones. I found my rangefinder nirvana.