Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

doctor thodt posted:

:nyd:

What? I just haven't been buying a lot of Blus. I am being frugal, despite not needing to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
Exclusively at Target, you will get $7.50 movie cash toward Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when you buy either of the Ultimate Editions coming out on Tuesday ($34.99 each).

Best Buy will have The Wolfman for $12.99 the week of 10/24-10/30. If you don't want to wait you can always buy it now and do a price adjustment later.

Right now Target has The Simpsons Season 13 and Dexter Season 4 for $24.99 each.

Canadians - if you buy Predators at Futureshop, you will get a $20 off coupon for the Alien Anthology.

Bambi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 16, 2010

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What? I just haven't been buying a lot of Blus. I am being frugal, despite not needing to be.

Then you'll be happy to know our sources point to the Barnes and Noble 50% (60% with membership) off criterion sale is starting Nov. 1st.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

SneakySneaks posted:

Then you'll be happy to know our sources point to the Barnes and Noble 50% (60% with membership) off criterion sale is starting Nov. 1st.

I honestly need to put together a list and make decisions on what I'm picking up this sale too. It's gonna be a hard decision, I can tell already.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Bambi posted:

Exclusively at Target, you will get $7.50 movie cash toward Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when you buy either of the Ultimate Editions coming out on Tuesday ($34.99 each).

anyone else waiting for the inevitable box set? Even then you may have to wait for the second or third version to get the last of it.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Dudebro posted:

anyone else waiting for the inevitable box set? Even then you may have to wait for the second or third version to get the last of it.

I remember reading from an "insider" that the Ultimate Editions are as comprehensive as WB plans on going with Harry Potter on Blu-Ray. They might ultimately end up bundling them all together for one huge release, but other than adding new trinkets, I doubt there's much more they can stuff in there. It's disappointing that the two new Ultimate Editions don't contain the extended cuts of the films, but apparently this was done at the behest of the directors, so don't expect to ever see those cuts surface.

This sounds geeky, but it's going to be really satisfying to see all eight Ultimate Editions on my shelf some day. The things are like frickin' tomes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bambi posted:

It's disappointing that the two new Ultimate Editions don't contain the extended cuts of the films, but apparently this was done at the behest of the directors, so don't expect to ever see those cuts surface.

This sounds geeky, but it's going to be really satisfying to see all eight Ultimate Editions on my shelf some day. The things are like frickin' tomes.

That's loving retarded. ABC Family shows the extended cuts for PoA and GOF in every single Harry Potter marathon they do. And they do it like 4 times a year.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

They might ultimately end up bundling them all together for one huge release, but other than adding new trinkets, I doubt there's much more they can stuff in there.

I'm hoping for LESS trinkets, so they can package them more economically. After selling off the first two, I'm not buying any more "Ultimate Editions" of Harry Potter until they get around to the mega-box. I don't need books or collectible cards or digital copies or whatever bullshit... just give me a compact box with nothing but Blu-Ray discs, and maybe a nice booklet.

They could add commentary tracks too, although to be honest I'm pretty loving sick of commentaries.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

They could add commentary tracks too, although to be honest I'm pretty loving sick of commentaries.

The first two had Maximum Movie Mode, which is basically the director's commentary of the 21st century. It's actually kind of a neat new take on the concept and makes commentaries more fun to sit through. Not sure whether they've done this for the next two though.

If you're near an Ultimate Electronics, they're going to have the 3-disc Apocalypse Now for $37 ($5 cheaper than Amazon).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ice Age Triple Pack is the Amazon boxset deal of the week. $36.99 (breaks down to $12.33 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NU67U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002NU67U2

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Target has Band of Brothers for $35 this week (in store only).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sporadic posted:

Ice Age Triple Pack is the Amazon boxset deal of the week. $36.99 (breaks down to $12.33 a movie)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NU67U2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002NU67U2

Just buy the first movie and save yourself some money. Once you've seen the first one, you've seen every single joke used in the next two. They should just release a blu-ray that has only the scenes with the squirrel.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The first two were OK, but the third was very good. I was surprised by how funny it was, not to mention a good plot.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a Moulin Rouge! review with screens. I haven't had a chance to pop in my copy yet, but it looks...well...yeah....wow.

The Girl Who Played With Fire reviewed
The Pacific reviewed

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the Alien Anthology has a book-style package similar to Rome and Spartacus.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

doctor thodt posted:

Looks like the Alien Anthology has a book-style package similar to Rome and Spartacus.

Wow, that's uh... OCDness be damned, this is basically the best Alien set to have.

I just wish it didn't cost so much. I'll be waiting for the gold box deal....

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
That is one sweet set.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I like it, but not enough to pay $40 more than the UK copy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, that's pretty much how special sets should be done, not statuettes somehow concealing discs inside, or whatever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

That's pretty slick. I had doubts about ordering the set instead of waiting for separate releases of the first two movies, but now I'm kind of stoked to have that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much how special sets should be done, not statuettes somehow concealing discs inside, or whatever.

Yeah, it looks classy and fits on a shelf. It doesn't make you look like a child who is also a sweaty rapist, like this does:

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Anyone hear anything about the Black Christmas (remake) blu-ray that's supposed to be released tomorrow? I realize I'm the only one in the world who kind of liked it, but I preordered it back in July and Amazon still has no cover art image and the page now says "Sign up to be notified when it's released". Did it get canceled? Is it an exclusive somewhere else? What gives? I was really looking forward to seeing eyeballs getting ripped out for 90 minutes.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Yeah, this is doing everything right that the Back to the Future set is doing wrong. As OCD as it is, I'm just looking at the BTTF set and seeing the plastic case cracking super easy. Guess I should hold out for solo releases on that one...

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Topper Harley posted:

Anyone hear anything about the Black Christmas (remake) blu-ray that's supposed to be released tomorrow? I realize I'm the only one in the world who kind of liked it, but I preordered it back in July and Amazon still has no cover art image and the page now says "Sign up to be notified when it's released". Did it get canceled? Is it an exclusive somewhere else? What gives? I was really looking forward to seeing eyeballs getting ripped out for 90 minutes.

It's a Best Buy exclusive.

I also hear that the Avatar Ultimate Edition will have the same style of packaging as the Alien set. They should complement each other nicely.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

Anybody have an Insignia NS-WBRDVD player? CowBoom has a refurbished one on sale for $77.99 and I was seriously thinking about grabbing one.

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm

I got this one today and we have come a long way from the first generation of players. On this one the menu was silky smooth and slick looking, it has Netflix/Pandora/Cinemanow and I had no issues with the wifi. Makes my Dad's original Samsung Blu-Ray player look like a dinosaur.

Only thing that was strange was I had to update it via USB instead of online.

If they didn't tell me, I wouldn't have known it was a refurbished. Hopefully it will stay that way but now it is proudly sitting on top of my Toshiba HD-A2 (HD-DVD player)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

penismightier posted:

Oh, the "I have to hide this when anyone comes over or I'd never ever have sex ever again" edition. Definitely go with the book.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

penismightier posted:

Yeah, it looks classy and fits on a shelf. It doesn't make you look like a child who is also a sweaty rapist, like this does:

I'll never feel the warmth of a woman, so i'm gonna buy this.

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
Apocalypse Now and Psycho arrive in a couple days! Anyone else creaming their pants in excitement?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Shalkore posted:

Apocalypse Now and Psycho arrive in a couple days! Anyone else creaming their pants in excitement?

Eww! Gross!

The Alien Anthology set in Canada can be bought for about $100, which is decent. The egg set is available at HMV only and is a more unreasonable $179.

Bambi posted:

Canadians - if you buy Predators at Futureshop, you will get a $20 off coupon for the Alien Anthology.
But that means I have to buy Predators, which is not worth it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Shalkore posted:

You mean tomorrow :smugbert:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Just picked up Toy Story 3. Yay for it having a DVD copy I can give to my little cousin. I hope it looks as good as Up did. That one blew me away all the way.

Silber
Feb 28, 2008

relax, enjoy

Ineffiable posted:

I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Jesus Christ, that is expensive. I guess I'll scratch that off the Christmas wishlist for now, probably pick it up later when it goes on sale. I'm really debating whether to get Apocalypse Now tomorrow or let the girlfriend get it for me for Christmas. I have a break coming up with school tomorrow and Apocalypse Now is such a :350: movie.

nnnAdam
Jul 8, 2007

Strength in Numbers
Just started reading through this thread recently and drat it you guys now have me putting pre-orders in like crazy. I have Psycho coming in tomorrow and dropped pre-order on The Birds (for whenever it comes out) and A Bridge on the River Kwai. I'm also strongly considering putting one in for The Pacific and if you haven't seen it yet, it's absolutely worth checking out. I'm pretty excited for Psycho after finally getting NXNW a few weeks back although I'm a little disappointed that it won't be a digibook as well.

It's funny though that really, the only blu-rays I've bought recently are older movies/shows. The Twilight Zone is phenomenal and I think it may be the most complete season of any show I've ever owned. The features on it seem never ending and the transfer is jaw dropping. I find myself staring at things like tree bark or trees in the background and being amazed at the vivid detail in a 50 year old transfer.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

frumpsnake posted:

I like it, but not enough to pay $40 more than the UK copy.

Does the UK edition not match it? I've only seen (what I hope) are early shots of the UK interior.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bambi posted:

I kinda see what you meant by this.

They might be big, but they sure are purty.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

doctor thodt posted:

I kinda see what you meant by this.

They might be big, but they sure are purty.

Wow, those all look really good. Definitely gonna have to pick 3 and 4 up for my mom soon.

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

doctor thodt posted:

gently caress my rear end, that is a beautiful set. I hope the European set is similar, but I doubt it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The European set is a long fold-out digipak like the Quadrilogy DVD set.

edit: ruh roh, big error on RHPS

quote:

There seems to be only one major problem with the 7.1 mix, and unfortunately, it is major: All of Janet's vocals in Over at the Frankenstein Place were mistakenly taken from a previously unreleased take, and it's easy to see why the take wasn't released. It's jarring to hear some of the lines sung quite off-key, and Janet's lips no longer match the screen.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2010

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

doctor thodt posted:

The European set is a long fold-out digipak like the Quadrilogy DVD set.

edit: ruh roh, big error on RHPS

At least the original mono track has the correct audio. I don't like these 7.1 reimaginings for classic films anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Neo_Reloaded posted:

At least the original mono track has the correct audio. I don't like these 7.1 reimaginings for classic films anyway.

Me neither. I used to think it was great when I got my first decent sound system, but now I'll take a mono track if that's what the film was released with. I bet the younger me would have hated grain on his blu-rays too.

• Locked thread