Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Thought you guys might like today's Baby Blues.

What a dad. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

That is a naked Santa in the shower. You'll also get a sword either from the kid with a drumset or from the helicopter apparently.

Technically it's a Santa in a Speedo in the shower.

Somehow that's worse.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Just saw James May build his Lego house. Incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwr-dyIsn8

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Just saw James May build his Lego house. Incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIwr-dyIsn8

I always wondered about that because MythBusters made a big boulder out of lego in one of their shows to bust a viral video and prove it used CGI. They made a big fuss about the amount of Lego it needed and how they basically used all the supplies they could find in the US.

But the James May builds an entire furnished house. He must have way better contacts with Lego or just have access to more Lego because of Lego Land Windsor I suppose.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

EvilRic posted:

He must have way better contacts with Lego or just have access to more Lego because of Lego Land Windsor I suppose.

Also it could just be that he's not a hack like the retards who make Mythbusters are.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

EvilRic posted:

I always wondered about that because MythBusters made a big boulder out of lego in one of their shows to bust a viral video and prove it used CGI. They made a big fuss about the amount of Lego it needed and how they basically used all the supplies they could find in the US.

But the James May builds an entire furnished house. He must have way better contacts with Lego or just have access to more Lego because of Lego Land Windsor I suppose.

It probably has something to do with the geografic closeness of the UK and Denmark where a big part of manufacturing and packaging of Lego still happens. I think they actually state that they recive a shipment straight from Denmark in the last part where they run out of bricks. But that could just be joke, I don't know....

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

EvilRic posted:

He didn't build the entire thing out of Lego, it would collapse in an instant. It still has a plywood frame holding it up for support.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

3 posted:

He didn't build the entire thing out of Lego, it would collapse in an instant. It still has a plywood frame holding it up for support.

That and all the "bricks" they made for the external walls were hollow, while the Mythbusters were trying to make a completely solid object. Though May says at the beginning of the episode something about there being 50 Lego pieces for everyone on earth, but I thought I heard a much lower ratio in the how-do-they-make-it docu linked earlier here.

Even if it wasn't completely on the up-and-up, I loved all the furniture and stuff he was playing around with inside - Lego slippers, champagne bottle and goblets, sink, toilet (with long brown brick inside)...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

That Awful Nick posted:

Also it could just be that he's not a hack like the retards who make Mythbusters are.

Oh boy, what is this all about?

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Captain Invictus posted:

Somebody's mad about the ninja myths episode.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Angry about PSEUDOSCIENCE.

To contribute, though, I got the new Shuttle Adventure and it's sitting on my dresser just begging to be built. I am so freaking excited to put this sucker together, but I also have a new Slave I to build. Decisions! I am bad at them!

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Putting you guys on notice, I'm thinking about selling my current sets to help raise my savings for my trip to Australia. I've not fully made my mind up as I'd hate to have to give up my only Legos after my Dad sold boxes full of my classic childhood sets when I left home, but here's a list of whats could be up for grabs should I go through with it:

7784-1 The Batmobile Ultimate Collectors' Edition
8654-1 Scuderia Ferrari Truck
7634-1 Tractor
6299-1 Pirates Advent Calendar 2009 (Contents Only)
8690-1 Toa Onua (Bionicle)

fursmbrero
Dec 27, 2002

Question for 'you people' - I've been giving some consideration to the idea of buying a Lego table, the kind with the (4) removable 32x32 baseplates on top... any of you seen/used one of these? Are they good/bad?

Oh yeah, this would be for my 3yo & .5yo, not for me

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

fursmbrero posted:

Just keep saying that :jerkbag:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

fursmbrero posted:

Question for 'you people' - I've been giving some consideration to the idea of buying a Lego table, the kind with the (4) removable 32x32 baseplates on top... any of you seen/used one of these? Are they good/bad?

When I was a kid, my dad took a double-wide wooden hospital door, put sturdy legs on it, and gave it to me as a Lego table. It took up half my room, but it was the best thing ever. I used the knob-hole for all kinds of cool trap-doors and deathpits, and I'd build bridges over to my bed. The floor, of course, was either lava or shark-infested water.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
All of this reminds me of my LEGO childhood. My brother and I used to play LEGO together all the time, our rooms we right next to each other and our adventures usually went between our rooms. We had a steady universe, main lego characters, supporting LEGO characters. We drew maps of where all our countries were located, books of "ancient" writings from the lore of the world.

Almost all of it was bastardized versions of videogames, comics or TV but dammit it was fun. We shared most of our LEGO except for our huge sets and certain LEGO figures. Our respective countries never went to war with each other (as our two main LEGO characters were best friends and leaders of the countries), except for one day when he was pissed off at me and unleashed a WMD on my LEGO castle, a marble bomb. A big gently caress off steel marble housed inside of a Megablock piece, dropped from the sky actually destroying pieces of the castle.

It was sad though, he's 3 and a half years older then me and eventually he stopped playing LEGO with me, and one day I just decided "It's not fun playing without my brother", packed up my LEGO and entered my teenaged years. Still bums me out thinking about it, although we still reminiscence about the countless hours we spent playing with them and creating back story. I still buy sets once in a while, but not to the extent people in this thread do (which I am extremely envious of). Right now about my desk I have the Batmbole and Arkham Asylum, and a few of the original Bionicle guys on my dresser.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

beato posted:

Putting you guys on notice, I'm thinking about selling my current sets to help raise my savings for my trip to Australia. I've not fully made my mind up as I'd hate to have to give up my only Legos after my Dad sold boxes full of my classic childhood sets when I left home, but here's a list of whats could be up for grabs should I go through with it:

7784-1 The Batmobile Ultimate Collectors' Edition
8654-1 Scuderia Ferrari Truck
7634-1 Tractor
6299-1 Pirates Advent Calendar 2009 (Contents Only)
8690-1 Toa Onua (Bionicle)

Oh man I want that so badly :(

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejPxWTCA1Ug

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

fireWARKs posted:

Oh man I want that so badly :(

Where is your avatar from?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sloppy posted:

Where is your avatar from?

This movie poster:

Click here for the full 511x755 image.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

This sums up my feelings on the Mini-Figs pretty well. I was willing to pick up a few when I saw them at the store that ONE time, but looking back, I'm kinda glad they were all gone the next day. I can't blame anyone for wanting all of them, but wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to pay extra through Bricklink? Or order 3 dozen of them just to get the few you really wanted?

I can only hope that maybe the variety of figs will spurn more variety in future themes :sigh:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I paid a 15 dollar premium to not hunt them. Collectible minifigs are gay. Hopefully the supply increases enough to effectively kill the secondary market.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

This thing is quite sinister looking and I love it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=444137

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goofy as gently caress.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

All of this reminds me of my LEGO childhood. My brother and I used to play LEGO together all the time, our rooms we right next to each other and our adventures usually went between our rooms. We had a steady universe, main lego characters, supporting LEGO characters. We drew maps of where all our countries were located, books of "ancient" writings from the lore of the world.

Almost all of it was bastardized versions of videogames, comics or TV but dammit it was fun. We shared most of our LEGO except for our huge sets and certain LEGO figures.
...Christian Humber?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

zenintrude posted:

This movie poster:

Click here for the full 511x755 image.

What he said. :)

Sair
May 11, 2007

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/legobot/

Happened across this earlier. A 3D printer made of lego, that builds with lego.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I finally scored a few minifigures. All the Targets in my area had no trace of them, and neither did Myer. I also tried Kmart but it was pretty poor for lego in general. Found one Toyworld that had sold out a few weeks ago, so I called up another one. They had 10 left, and had only got the one box a few weeks ago. I bought 5; 2 for co-workers and 3 for me.

Next time, why don't lego release a boxed full collection, for say 20% more than buying them individually. That way the spergelords can get their 'full collection' while the rest of us who want to have fun can buy a few, and it neatly removes most of the secondary market demand. Either that or just get enough stock for everyone to be happy :)

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy

Granite Octopus posted:

All the Targets in my area had no trace of them,

Are you in Melbourne? The Target at Southland has 4 or so boxes left.
Surprised they aren't all gone.

After this post however, they will be :ssh:

edit: Holy poo poo I got a spartan :frogc00l:

Spikeness fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 22, 2010

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have an extra surfer, life guard and rock star, and would like to trade for the adventurer guy.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Where abouts in Target? I didn't think they would put them on the shelves with the other lego because of the possibility of theft, but there weren't any at the checkout either...

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Where abouts in Target? I didn't think they would put them on the shelves with the other lego because of the possibility of theft, but there weren't any at the checkout either...

They've had them in the non-candy Halloween treats shelves, along with a Racers and an Atlantis polybagged mini-sets.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
A friend of mine in the physics department of my university scored me three of these kits that the university was phasing out. Sweet!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

GIVE ME YOUR SKIN

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Please tell me thats controlled with the NXT brick in the chest.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Looks like it is, based on the brickshelf gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=403749

Nothingman
Sep 12, 2007

Singin' in the rain
I found Series 2 minifigs at a dollar store called Five Below, they were $2 and i picked up 15 and ended up with 3 mimes, 2 dracula, 2 karate master, 2 baywatch chicks, 1 pop star, 1 pharoah, 1 ringleader. 1 weight lifter and 1 surfer dude and a witch. They'res more on the shelf and I'll probably end up back there buying the rest.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=74124

I stumbled across this very detailed space shuttle, classically done.

edit:

god drat this guy has some crazy stuff.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=6826

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The barcode cheat sheet failed me! I thought I'd had a mime, but ended up with a weightlifter - which I already have. At least I got a Disco Stu, though.

Following up on Five Below - the one by me in Hunt Valley, MD doesn't have the minifigures, but it has a green speed boat in a polybag for $2.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Is it true TRU is giving out little Lego head trick or treat bags with $20 purchase?