Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Ugh, last night was an interesting set of games to be sure.

First game was great, my positioning was good, my new to me blocker was comfy, and I opened with a shut out for the game which puts me up to two shutouts for the season. The second game my mind wandered a bit, with the loss of focus I became a slut and couldn't keep my legs closed to save my life. Every butterfly drop had ~1 foot between my knees and generally my stick was out of position since I was using it to play the potential pass. In the end I had a work-around where basically I dropped and as soon as the shot was made I slammed my ankles together, for whatever reason during the second game my knees were just no co-operating.

I think it is partly due to not being used to playing 2 games back to back, needing more conditioning, and partly due to the fact that by the second game my D are generally tired. They let a lot more odd-man rushes during the second game and I find I am sacrificing my 5 hole coverage to cover more of the net in general. The last period was basically a parade of 3 on 1. We won but it wasn't pretty, the other goalie was dead on his feet. If he dropped he was down until the puck went in or left the zone allowing tons of high shots in, his team was super pissed and that sort of killed their morale. It didn't help that I made a few desperation saves as well.

Today I hurt, it feels like my hip exploded. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Martytoof posted:

DiPietro's weird orange and blue camo pads make me irrationally angry for some reason.

I love his home ones, the away not so much.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
They just make me wonder if he unlocked the achievements for real or if he shelled out the MS Points.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Went to my first pick-up game on ice last night and got absolutely lit up :woop:

Then I hurt my back in the locker room sitting on the bench :woop:

To be fair on the first point I was in way over my head but I've got nothing re: hurting self while sitting on bench doing nothing.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
A DiPietro to call our very own :3:

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Martytoof posted:

Both in camo?

Yep.

Also, two of my three teams this session ended the championship tonight. One with a loss to get swept 2-0. We lost 5-1, I was dogshit, the team was dogshit, we played miserably in the finals. Second team swept 2-0 to win...after a 1-0 OT win, the opposition forfeited game 2 because they were going to be iron man. :confused:

Fun thing is the captain of team 2 put a $50 bounty on the team voted MVP for the season/playoffs (which is actually the division MVP), and my 2 shutouts in our two playoff games won me the MVP. I immediately turned around and used it to pay for part of next session.

Dangle that money in front of me and I'm a superstar! lol. I am a contract year player.

Also, the week from hell got a lot better because of it too. After the 6 games in 4 days to begin the week, I now only have 2 this weekend instead of 5 (forfeit today, 2 games 3's eliminated tomorrow). My third team needs to win tomorrow to force a game 3 Monday.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Hey I forget who was the guy in here that plays at Central Park. I just registered for their lowest division! What division/nights do you play in? My cousin told me that their low division is like super low to the point where some people can barely skate. If that is the case I may also play in a higher division as well. I really just want more games for reps so that I can work on my fundamentals and stuff.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I got out on the ice last night and played two and two over at Ozzie. I was doing an alright job on the first save, but I just didn't seem to have any exposiveness in me, so my recoveries were pretty weak. I figured it was a matter of time before I had a lovely game while wearing contacts, but none of the problems that I had last night were really vision related. It was just a combination of no explosiveness, poor angles, and then playing against some Junior A kids. I might have faired better against them on a full sheet, but on the small rink, I just couldn't move well enough to counter them.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

You know he has home and away pads?
No, he's just got one set.

That camo really works. :v:

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 18, 2010

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

Hey I forget who was the guy in here that plays at Central Park. I just registered for their lowest division! What division/nights do you play in? My cousin told me that their low division is like super low to the point where some people can barely skate. If that is the case I may also play in a higher division as well. I really just want more games for reps so that I can work on my fundamentals and stuff.

That was me. I haven't seen the lowest division (4 or 3b, I forget what it is now) but I'm sure its not too great. I play in D3A and D2 subbing in for various teams. 3A is weird because every team has one or two guys that can't skate for poo poo and one or two guys that can skate circles around even the decent players, and I actually find 3A harder to play in than D2, because you see lots of crazy breakaways or other unexpected poo poo because your d-man might just fall down out of nowhere, or be horribly out of position. D2 isn't far above 3A usually, it just lacks the few guys that can't skate well and adds one or two more standouts per team.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

ManicJason posted:

They just make me wonder if he unlocked the achievements for real or if he shelled out the MS Points.

This was genius. Apparently not everyone thought the camo pads in NHL 10 were absolutely stupid. The problem with him wearing camo, is no one will be able to see that he is actually in a hockey game.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

That was me. I haven't seen the lowest division (4 or 3b, I forget what it is now) but I'm sure its not too great. I play in D3A and D2 subbing in for various teams. 3A is weird because every team has one or two guys that can't skate for poo poo and one or two guys that can skate circles around even the decent players, and I actually find 3A harder to play in than D2, because you see lots of crazy breakaways or other unexpected poo poo because your d-man might just fall down out of nowhere, or be horribly out of position. D2 isn't far above 3A usually, it just lacks the few guys that can't skate well and adds one or two more standouts per team.

Well since goalies are free if I find that that division is really terrible I will just play goal for a higher division team as well. I really just need the crease time and facing more shots. I figure lowest division I will get a lot of shots since the defense probably will be bad.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

deoju posted:

No, he's just got one set.

That camo really works. :v:

I'm not sure if you're arguing with me or not soooo....

(from FL's thread)

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'm very familiar with that look that he's giving. I call it the "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress" look.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Had a good game last night. Ended up tying, only let 4 goals in.

I don't remember the first goal, but the second was screened by two of my own guys. Third came off of a rebound off one of my team's sticks, and fourth was heartbreaking in that I just didn't kick my foot out enough.

Though, my defense played amazing and the shooters were shooting from bad angles and kept hitting me in the pads. I didn't have to reach for a lot of stuff.

In practice before the game, I don't know what the hell happened to me. Something clicked. Not only was I following the shot all the way- I was actually concentrating on the drat thing so much that I kept on trying to control the rebound.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Stolen from the NV thread because good loving god are these things awful looking.

deafmute posted:

DiPietro fights locker room cancer :unsmith:

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
I think he's fighting good taste instead.

Any of you guys play in the Edmonton area? I'm moving there in a month and I'm hoping to get an idea of what to expect there.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Stolen from the NV thread because good loving god are these things awful looking.

My eyes!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Those things are brutal.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Hey goalies... our beer league team jumped out to a nice 3-0 lead last night (thanks to 2 goals, 1 assist by yours truly), but the other team came back and eventually ended the game tied with us. (No shootout or OT in regular season games).

I was talking with our goalie after the game and he was convinced that his angles were all wrong because we were playing on a bit bigger sheet of ice than NHL size. The game-tying goal was sort of soft, he basically was unscreened and the shot wasn't terribly difficult to handle, he was just out of position.

So, is this the case? Do any of you go in between NHL and possibly International sized ice?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I gotta be honest with you. If they were just pink I'd probably rock them all year round for breast cancer awareness. gently caress that camo forever though.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I play about half the time in an NHL-size rink and half on a mini rink. All the other goalies I play with at the small rink complain about the different angles screwing with them, but I think it actually helped me. I made myself start sitting deep on the goal line right in the middle of the net when play's at the other end, and it really helps making sure I'm on the angle when I come out to challenge.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

trilljester posted:

Hey goalies... our beer league team jumped out to a nice 3-0 lead last night (thanks to 2 goals, 1 assist by yours truly), but the other team came back and eventually ended the game tied with us. (No shootout or OT in regular season games).

I was talking with our goalie after the game and he was convinced that his angles were all wrong because we were playing on a bit bigger sheet of ice than NHL size. The game-tying goal was sort of soft, he basically was unscreened and the shot wasn't terribly difficult to handle, he was just out of position.

So, is this the case? Do any of you go in between NHL and possibly International sized ice?

I play on a rink that's slightly smaller than NHL, and I occasionally sub on both Olympic and NHL size rinks. It's a difficult transition, for me at least. I'm able to tell where I'm at by being subconsciously aware of my position relative the surrounding boards, the crease paint beneath me, and the net behind me. When those first two change simultaneously, I find that I'm constantly out of position and having to look behind myself to make sure I'm at the right spot.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

trilljester posted:

I occasionally play on olympic ice and, whenever I do, I find that the farther from center I move, right or left, the farther out of position I find myself and the more far side I leave open.
It's a huge drag to let in a shot on a goal that I'm barely even in front of.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Visually it's a little weird if you're used to playing on north american ice, and you memorize your positioning based on where the guy is in relation to the boards.

That's why I always try to look back for a split second to check that I'm not giving away too much net whenever I play on the Olympic sheet near me.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
I play on both Olympic size and NHL size every week. I don't notice the difference at all. I'm just that good. :smug:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So I need ice skates for my upcoming ice season. Are the Reebok 2Ks any good? I was going to get the Bauer One55s but they don't have my size anymore.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

(from FL's thread)

Oh, I am not arguing, I meant that the camo was so effective at tricking the eye it looks like he changes them to match his home and road jerseys. It was a lovely joke.

I always wanted Luongo to do pink pads when he was in Florida.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just started olympic ice two weeks ago. Tuesday on big ice, Thursday on baby NA ice.

Actually visually there's very little difference, I just notice I give up a little more net if the shot is coming from the boards. Can't really explain it that well.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I gotta be honest with you. If they were just pink I'd probably rock them all year round for breast cancer awareness. gently caress that camo forever though.

What about prostate cancer Marty :argh:

What colour would prostate cancer research awareness be anyway? Brown & red?

ManicJason posted:

I made myself start sitting deep on the goal line right in the middle of the net when play's at the other end, and it really helps making sure I'm on the angle when I come out to challenge.

I stole this idea from someone in this thread (probably you) and it has helped me almost as much as the shopping trolley advice. Then again, the crease at the rink I play at has 3 little '^' shapes on the inside of the crease border - one on each side pointing at the centre of the faceoff circles and another in the centre. It's probably cheating so I try not to rely on them too much for checking my positioning but it's pretty handy in a scramble.

Also I saw another goalie at the rink doing something on wrap-arounds that I hadn’t seen before – when he slid over to the far post, he also put his stick down flat on the ice and swung it around behind his net. The guy going for the wrap-around either skated the puck straight into his stick and lost it, or had to go really wide around which gave the goalie enough time to recover and get a better angle. I tried it once but just lost my stick :frogdowns:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

I play on both Olympic size and NHL size every week. I don't notice the difference at all. I'm just that good. :smug:

Is Peoria an Olympic sized sheet? I typically play on an NHL sized sheet and will sometimes play on a small 3 on 3 rink. I find the angles on the smaller rink to be different, which can throw me off for a while.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Is Peoria an Olympic sized sheet? I typically play on an NHL sized sheet and will sometimes play on a small 3 on 3 rink. I find the angles on the smaller rink to be different, which can throw me off for a while.

The south rink is olympic and north is NHL.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

The south rink is olympic and north is NHL.

I'll have to check that out some time.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I'll have to check that out some time.

Chandler also has an Olympic rink. Don't you play there every now and again?

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

aejix posted:

I stole this idea from someone in this thread (probably you) and it has helped me almost as much as the shopping trolley advice.

That helped me out a bunch, too.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Chandler also has an Olympic rink. Don't you play there every now and again?

Yeah, I did. I guess that I never noticed the difference between the Olympic and Standard sheets then. I'd probably be more aware of the difference now, but it wasn't even something that was on my radar when I played there.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

So since I have this week off inbetween sessions, I was going to try and get some of the nastiness out of my blocker and glove. I know someone posted it before, but was it just boiling water through where the hands were to restore some of the nash/leather? I don't remember if there was anything else.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
So I just grabbed me a pair of Graf 650s and they are sweeeett!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

So since I have this week off inbetween sessions, I was going to try and get some of the nastiness out of my blocker and glove. I know someone posted it before, but was it just boiling water through where the hands were to restore some of the nash/leather? I don't remember if there was anything else.

Somebody answer this I have a break between sessions starting Thursday and want to do the same thing. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Yeah. Or you could throw them in your side-load washer. If you throw just a wee bit of detergent in there, it adds a nice smell.

• Locked thread