Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Phatzilla posted:

the titles should be like 5$ a piece. I could get the actual physical game for that price, in most cases.
Without DRM? Without goodies? Without modifications to run new systems? Yeah, go for the physical ones! :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Just chiming in to say Two Worlds is the best game on GoG right now, and you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing it.

Actually, you're probably doing yourself a disservice by playing it, but it's too great to pass up.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Arcanum question:

I'm in Shrouded Hills and I want to go to Dernholm, but it's not on my map. Did I miss a conversation that adds it or should I just do some quests in Tarant and it'll appear later?

CaudaVenenus
Sep 17, 2004

Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you.

rt4 posted:

Arcanum question:

I'm in Shrouded Hills and I want to go to Dernholm, but it's not on my map. Did I miss a conversation that adds it or should I just do some quests in Tarant and it'll appear later?

Just ask anyone for directions. Any regular, not-named NPC can give you directions in this case. In addition in Shrouded Hills and everywhere else, you can ask ordinary citizens for rumours, which often will offer clues as to who might be a quest-giver in the town.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

rt4 posted:

Arcanum question:

There is someone who will give you a quest (and directions) there, but you will have to get your hands dirty.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
ToEE is eating my face. I made a party of a Cleric, Fighter, Monk, Wizard and Sorceror, and am dying to the random encounters on the way to, or right at the start of, the Moathouse. Every time I rest I get ambushed, which doesn't help either. I have installed the Co8 NC modpack.

Are you supposed to install the Atari patches 1 and 2 with the GoG version before installing Co8 or is it pre-patched?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kenlon posted:

ToEE is eating my face. I made a party of a Cleric, Fighter, Monk, Wizard and Sorceror, and am dying to the random encounters on the way to, or right at the start of, the Moathouse. Every time I rest I get ambushed, which doesn't help either. I have installed the Co8 NC modpack.

Are you supposed to install the Atari patches 1 and 2 with the GoG version before installing Co8 or is it pre-patched?

Same here (but I didnt installed any patches or mods). I have like 9 people in my party and I can barely keep then alive. Also, I hate D&D magic system.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Something very important to remember about ToEE is this

You do not have to take 5 characters.

I can't stress how incredibly important that fact is. Every single person you bring has to be able to pull their weight, because they push down your EXP gain. It takes 1000 xp to reach level 2, it takes 3000 to reach level 3, it takes 5000 to reach level 4. If you take a 2 man party, they will reach level 3 over twice as fast as a team of 5. That team of 5 will take more resources to keep up, too.

Now, every single thing you do that gives XP will split the XP evenly, so a rogue picking a lock will give everyone xp, and a fighter killing a toad will give everyone XP, and the rogue simply does not have the base attack bonus to keep up with a fighter. If you were to take just one fighter and do nothing but kill poo poo, you would be utilizing your entire party to its fullest. If you take 5 guys and your wizard really doesn't do a loving thing, well, it hurts the entire team. Your other party members have to be that much more specialized to get through.

So who is the dead weight in your party?

Oh and another thing- Some of those NPCs are amazing. Elmo is ridiculously effective in the moathouse, for example, and for only 200 gold you can have him tag along. You don't have to fill your party with level 1 douchebags, you can just hire some help on.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Kenlon posted:

Random encounters can be really dangerous, especially in the early game. They're not meant to be filler fights like in JRPGS. Always save before traveling.

When you're resting, check the color of the tent icon. If it's green, it's safe to rest. If it's yellow, you might get attacked (probably by something scary). The trick is to find safe resting spots. In the moathouse, the south tower in the courtyard is safe to rest in.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

signalnoise posted:

So who is the dead weight in your party?

Probably the monk. Though the wizard is pretty terrible right now, too, but that changes as time goes on.

I don't want to have to change my party, though. If I can just avoid having to do too many combats in a row I should be able to manage. . .

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
This may have been asked in this huge rear end thread already but I couldn't find it in cursory searching because (duh) this thread is pretty big. Is there a way to change default install paths on stuff you get off of GOG? My C partition is pretty small and pretty much exists just to run windows and have space for restore data. Arcanum installed straight to C without prompting me. I don't mind so much having the one game on it so I will probably leave it there, but in the future I really need to be able to install stuff to the D drive if I'm going to use GOG at all. Any thoughts?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Not to change the default, but to choose a custom location on an individual installation you just click on the grey options button in the bottom left of the installer.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Just found out about this site, god drat I can't wait to play Baldur's Gate again!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
If we could vote for the game with the most inflated rating on GOG, what would it be? I'm casting mine for either Kingpin or Blood 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Thompsons posted:

If we could vote for the game with the most inflated rating on GOG, what would it be? I'm casting mine for either Kingpin or Blood 2.

Myst. God Myst was a bad puzzle game.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

andrew smash posted:

Is there a way to change default install paths on stuff you get off of GOG?

After the installer runs its file integrity checks, on the window with the "Start Installation" button, there's an Options button that lets you change the install path.

edit: Somehow, I missed the response directly below your post.

BeanBandit fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 18, 2010

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Thompsons posted:

It's kind of the opposite problem that Netflix has. Every game on GOG is 5 stars, but every god drat movie on Netflix is right around 3 stars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magnificent Quiver posted:

It's kind of the opposite problem that Netflix has. Every game on GOG is 5 stars, but every god drat movie on Netflix is right around 3 stars.

well Netflix is going to try to have like every movie ever, while GOG is Good Old Games, so that kinda makes sense

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

well Netflix is going to try to have like every movie ever, while GOG is Good Old Games, so that kinda makes sense

GOG kind of threw out the "Good" part when they went trolling for low-hanging fruit licenses.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Not to mention there's a number of games that aren't even that old.

We'll just call it "Games" from now on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eh, it's still predominantly Good Old Games

it's like how the Criterion Collection has Chasing Amy and Armageddon in it

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Kenlon posted:

Ditch the monk and reconsider your spell selection. Your Wizard and sorcerer should both be loading up on Grease all the time.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You all are being a tad literal-minded. A handful of lovely titles doesn't ruin the site. Get real.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ravenger posted:

About the same time we get System Shock, System Shock 2, and the Ultima and Wing Commander games, as they're all owned by EA.

Well, this is unfortunate to hear, especially as I'd just gone through that page to vote for Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2. :(

But it's silly how idiots are asking for Mafia 2 and other recent games.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

LashLightning posted:

Well, this is unfortunate to hear, especially as I'd just gone through that page to vote for Dungeon Keeper and Dungeon Keeper 2. :(

But it's silly how idiots are asking for Mafia 2 and other recent games.

Not to mention console games.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dr Snofeld posted:

What, you don't want to download DRM free MARIO and POKEMON games?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Voted for Re-Volt, because that was the best loving Mario-Kart style racer on PC when it was out. It's not an EA title, either, some random Canadian company holds the rights. It could happen!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Yes. I'm quite perplexed by the fact that people have voted for the Crash Bandicoot series of games.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Overwined posted:

You all are being a tad literal-minded. A handful of lovely titles doesn't ruin the site. Get real.

Who said it ruined the site except you?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Voted for Re-Volt, because that was the best loving Mario-Kart style racer on PC when it was out. It's not an EA title, either, some random Canadian company holds the rights. It could happen!

Wacky Wheels would like to have some words with you :colbert:

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Who said it ruined the site except you?

Oh so not "good" equals....?

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Overwined posted:

Oh so not "good" equals....?

A few games that are pretty bad yet made it on the site because it was easy to get the licenses for them, which as long as it keeps putting up really solid games like PS:T isn't anywhere near ruined?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Toadsniff posted:

Wacky Wheels would like to have some words with you :colbert:

Wacky Wheels sucked, Re-Volt rules forever :colbert:

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Whalley posted:

Both of those games own

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Whalley posted:

Man, I remember Re-Volt, that's the one where your the future car-things that could drive on the ceiling if you were going fast enough, right? I remember getting a demo of that with PCGamer and playing it pretty much nonstop. I think I eventually got the full version, but I don't remember much other than the stage select screen.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

The Gasmask posted:

Man, I remember Re-Volt, that's the one where your the future car-things that could drive on the ceiling if you were going fast enough, right? I remember getting a demo of that with PCGamer and playing it pretty much nonstop. I think I eventually got the full version, but I don't remember much other than the stage select screen.

No that sounds like POD or something. Re-Volt is the one with RC cars.

Edit: Mindrover also needs a release on GOG

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
I had to go into my bank today to tell that them no one has stolen my debit card, I am in fact just buying things online at 3 in the morning and no that's not unusual activity. The guy checked my online purchases and just looked up saying "GOG? What is GOG? Are you aware all this of the GOG activity?".

This site is playing off my nostalgia so much. I'm never going to have time to play all these drat games.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The Gasmask posted:

That's Rollcage. It was really fun, even if it was basically just a lesser Wipeout.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Early ToEE advice:

There's a new Co8 subquest for L1 characters you can start by convincing the smith how hardcore your group is. It's way more interesting than the horrible Hommlet interlocking fetch quests.

The woodcutter has a mini-quest to an area called "Deklo Grove". Resting in that area gives you lots and lots of easy repeatable encounters that can easily bump you to L2 or 3 with a little bit of patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The Gasmask posted:

That would be Rollcage.