Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
This thread has gotten painful. Are there any good Philly tacos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

HooKars posted:

This thread has gotten painful. Are there any good Philly tacos?
Doubtful, considering that philly prides itself on being inferior in every way. I swear, I have never seen a city so smug about being so second-rate.

IzzyFnStradlin fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 16, 2010

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Hey Izzy if you happen to see Peter Hutt at HLS ask him how he feels about his students losing the H. Thomas Austern award to some motherfucker at a TTT

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

scribe jones posted:

bad how? she's related to a friend of mine so maybe I can tell her to tell her to shape up

She's out-of-touch and a terrible communicator.

The day before EIP started for the Class of 2011, she sent us all an unbelievably patronizing email stating, in part, that:

Martha Minow posted:

I doubt that I am the first to mention the silver linings that come with the clouds. The current conditions may present you with opportunities to think harder about what you really care about, explore geographic and substantive options in which your talents and energies will be much needed and well rewarded, and strengthen your own communities. As difficult as times are for us, we all know people and institutions facing more severe challenges, and here, your talents, passions, connections, and skills can make a difference for others, and you may find this a moment to pursue short -- or longer -- term options of great personal reward and public value.

In other words, "Boy, it's really just great that many of you will struggle to get firm jobs (which would allow you to pay off the massive debt that we've piled on you) because now you can go do public interest work!"

She's also changed the grading system three times since becoming Dean: (1) making LPs discretionary; (2) removing the 2/class cap on Dean's Scholars (DSs), assigning point values to DSs, Hs, Ps, and LPs for purposes of Latin Honors calculation, and putting those point values on official transcripts; and (3) removing point values from official transcripts.  Each time, she didn't bother to communicate her decision to students. We found out about the first two changes from Above the Law/the HL Record ((1) and (2)) and the third change from the student government.

ewr2870 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 16, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ewr2870 posted:

We found out about the first two changes from Above the Law/the HL Record ((1) and ...

Welcome to GULC Lake Wobegon Law School.

31% of students get an A
59% to 64% of students get B+ or B
5% to 10% of students get B- "or below"

The cynicism is starting to make more sense...

e: It's USNWR's fault.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 17, 2010

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

ewr2870 posted:

She's out-of-touch and a terrible communicator.

The day before EIP started for the Class of 2011, she sent us all an unbelievably patronizing email stating, in part, that:

In other words, "Boy, it's really just great that many of you will struggle to get firm jobs (which would allow you to pay off the massive debt that we've piled on you) because now you can go do public interest work!"

I don't see anything particularly wrong with that email. It seems like a pretty standard email for a dean to send to students.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

I don't see anything particularly wrong with that email. It seems like a pretty standard email for a dean to send to students.

It wasn't well-received. Many of us read in the implication that we were too dumb or too greedy to act in our own best interests, so it was nice that the lovely economy was making our decisions for us.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Well, it doesn't help that Kagan was so awesome. Not saying Minow is great, but her predecessor was incredible.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

Petey posted:

Well, it doesn't help that Kagan was so awesome. Not saying Minow is great, but her predecessor was incredible.
Oh, definitely. Kagan was an incredibly tough act to follow, and Minow's had to deal with the dramatic decline in the endowment. She was dealt a crappy hand. But she's also played it poorly.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

No seriously, though....

If you wanna go to law school, you should. But if you wanna kill yourself and wanna die, then you probably should not!

In other words, law school is not the answer to existential questions.

You just end up drinking more and doing more drugs and trying to forget how cool you once were before doing this!

email me if you wanna discuss the process of self-destruction through law school further: izzyfnstradlin@yahoo.com

Edit: also, listen to this song

friendly reminder that your weak, soft, lower-class brain could only muster a 174 on the LSAT

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did a couple interviews this week. Frontrunner had a beer fridge filled to the gills. Articling student showing me through said "yeah, that's supposed to be for friday afternoons, people usually drink pretty heavy through the week though"

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

friendly reminder that your weak, soft, lower-class brain could only muster a 174 on the LSAT

but but HLS!

I used to think the whole thing was a troll, but now I think Izzy is the quintessential future lawyer as shown in the jpg on top of post #4.

It's basically the version of beating the job market, getting the Big Law job and still losing.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

joat mon posted:

Welcome to GULC Lake Wobegon Law School.

31% of students get an A
59% to 64% of students get B+ or B
5% to 10% of students get B- "or below"

The cynicism is starting to make more sense...

e: It's USNWR's fault.
My school had a B-centric curve too, but I don't think it was quite that skewed. Grade inflation owns.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
For the "don't pay attention in class" squad:

Check out minecraft if you haven't already. It's saved this semester for me.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

For the "don't pay attention in class" squad:

Check out minecraft if you haven't already. It's saved this semester for me.

I tried to do something like that 1L year but a lot of people complained that since i was playing Super Punchout in LRW, they couldn't concentrate :v:

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

CaptainScraps posted:

I tried to do something like that 1L year but a lot of people complained that since i was playing Super Punchout in LRW, they couldn't concentrate :v:

Keyboard or a peripheral gamepad?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

prussian advisor posted:

I could knock out Nick Bruiser in 12 seconds on a keyboard. I don't even need a game pad. But I wish I had one.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I was always a fan of Tecmo Super Bowl and griddlers.net, myself.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

This article isn't about lawyers at all, but I just love this quote from the beginning of it.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2010/10/15/08teachers.h30.html?tkn=SXRFLiKo4WXZz3k3bQqcOgDqM%2FC7MRgpZykk&cmp=clp-edweek

quote:

Countries with the best-performing school systems largely recruit teachers from the top third of high school and college graduates, while the United States has difficulty attracting its top students to the profession, a new report finds.

Salary is keeping some top graduates away, say the authors. A starting teacher in New York City makes about $45,000, while a starting lawyer makes $160,000.

Yep. Starting lawyers make 160k.

Tetrix fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 17, 2010

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

Boston has the best drivers, it's only people from other states who don't like it because it's too scary. Lots of turns, merges, seemingly random dead ends, one ways, and everyone driving goes as fast as they possibly can at any moment. Not to mention the pedestrians who do not notice green lights, and those poor, naive bicyclists. There is a very logical order to all of it which can only be understood by people who actually own cars and actively drive around Boston. If you are not one of these people, or someone who gave it a shot and had a heart attack, stick to cabs and the T. Personally, I have never had problems driving around Boston, and I enjoy it more than a sleepy suburb or some city where every block is perfectly laid out with 4 lanes on each side.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

I could knock out Nick Bruiser in 12 seconds on a keyboard. I don't even need a game pad. But I wish I had one.

I bought a USB SNES controller last week--which led to an epic Super Mario World fest with the roommate; next up is Chrono Trigger, I think. Definitely the best purchase I've made since law school started.

I'm really tempted to see how long it'd take a professor to notice if I started playing in the middle of class.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

_areaman posted:

Boston has the best drivers, it's only people from other states who don't like it because it's too scary.

Funnily enough these are also the people who make it such a dangerous area to drive.

I think I've become a better driver by necessity since moving to MA because I am nearly killed coming in to Cambridge every morning.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/your-money/11money.html?pagewanted=1&ref=your-money&src=me

People still need us!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Petey posted:

Funnily enough these are also the people who make it such a dangerous area to drive.

I think I've become a better driver by necessity since moving to MA because I am nearly killed coming in to Cambridge every morning.

At least in NYC if you hit a pedestrian, you take great pains to make sure you kill them. Lest they find you and gently caress your poo poo up.

Seriously, so much mutual respect in interpersonal relationships in New York occurs from the healthy fear everyone has that the other person is legitimately batshit insane.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

prussian advisor posted:

I got my school's PMF nomination with no issues but you weren't kidding - they really do want an in-person assessment this year. Personal presentation, group project, and a writing assessment? Sounds excruciating.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

blar posted:

I got my school's PMF nomination with no issues but you weren't kidding - they really do want an in-person assessment this year. Personal presentation, group project, and a writing assessment? Sounds excruciating.

Worst part is, I'm pretty sure this is the first-ever year they've done that, so there's no real way to prepare for it. Have you heard anything more about the process than is on the PMF's website?

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

prussian advisor posted:

Worst part is, I'm pretty sure this is the first-ever year they've done that, so there's no real way to prepare for it. Have you heard anything more about the process than is on the PMF's website?

My school was only able to refer me to the online assessment prep which is a joke. No one to really ask either based on last year's finalists: 0 from Miami, 2 from UF that didn't receive offers, and 1 from St. Thomas with offer.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I reluctantly put the taco cart on hiatus. I just got a job offer to be a legal secretary for a crim defense attorney here in town. I must be stupid, but I have to pay bills so hey.

e: in my marriage I am now the first one to have a paying job in the legal field. Don't go no jobs die with your legal secretary wife supporting your lawyer rear end.

remote control carnivore fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 19, 2010

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Save me jeebus posted:

...taco cart on hiatus.

This is the most depressing post in the thread. :smith:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Nah. Small law firm = 20+ guinea pigs for my salsa verde, and also opportunities at catering, as I do still have my handler's card, commercial kitchen access, and liability insurance.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

At least in NYC if you hit a pedestrian, you take great pains to make sure you kill them. Lest they find you and gently caress your poo poo up.

Seriously, so much mutual respect in interpersonal relationships in New York occurs from the healthy fear everyone has that the other person is legitimately batshit insane.

Boston has days like that too. On the way to work today (it's a temp job, don't nobody get excited) I saw a guy finishing off a bottle of vodka on the train at 9:30 in the morning and on the way back I saw a guy sternly chanting "obama. one term." to himself on an escalator. I can only assume that things remained that way the entire time I was in the office.

The vodka guy was kind of sad though. He reeked of booze and was pretty obviously hammered and was drinking the bottle in plain sight but for some reason he still tried to hide it under a newspaper in between shots. The poor guy still has a sense of shame :(. So it couldn't have been izzy

I would've asked him if he went to law school but I was very carefully avoiding eye contact

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Ainsley McTree posted:

(it's a temp job, don't nobody get excited)

Legal temp or "go get us some coffee, TEMP" temp?

e: either way it is better than wallowing in your own filth and tears at home congrats buddy :unsmith:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

On the way to work today (it's a temp job, don't nobody get excited)

:hf: Sorry dude I'm getting excited grats.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Had a second interview with my state's Court of Appeals Research Division--it's a relatively low paying government job but I mean it's pretty low stress, you crank research reports and proposed opinions all day, work an 8 hour flextime day, 40 hours a week, no weekends, government holidays...

The job runs 1-3 years depending on whether you decide to stay on/get an offer to stay on. They basically encourage you to look for clerkships during this time.

It's maybe not my IDEAL job but it's a decent jumping-off point for a guy from a TTT so hopefully I'll get good news the first week of November.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Gettin' jobs

ITT :psyduck:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Is Municipal Court/City Court/Misdemeanor Court bullshit everywhere or just primarily in Mississippi?

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Stunt Rock posted:

Is Municipal Court/City Court/Misdemeanor Court bullshit everywhere or just primarily in Mississippi?

Everywhere, yo.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Defleshed posted:

Legal temp or "go get us some coffee, TEMP" temp?

e: either way it is better than wallowing in your own filth and tears at home congrats buddy :unsmith:

Somewhere in between. It's a data entry thing where my job is to copy and paste things from a .pdf into a database. It has nothing to do with the law and I suspect that a normal human being with interests and passions would be bored to tears but after 17 months of nothing at all I'm honestly pretty happy to have an easy job that pays $15/hour 30 hours/week. Plus there's a free coffee machine. It isn't very good but I've learned to not be picky about things lately

It only lasts till some time in November but I think that if I refuse to leave the building they'll hire me permanently

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Somewhere in between. It's a data entry thing where my job is to copy and paste things from a .pdf into a database. It has nothing to do with the law and I suspect that a normal human being with interests and passions would be bored to tears but after 17 months of nothing at all I'm honestly pretty happy to have an easy job that pays $15/hour 30 hours/week. Plus there's a free coffee machine. It isn't very good but I've learned to not be picky about things lately

It only lasts till some time in November but I think that if I refuse to leave the building they'll hire me permanently

If you're doing good on the current job, you should just ask if they have any other projects going when this one gets closer to ending.

also congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Torpor posted:

This is the most depressing post in the thread. :smith:

Yeah...

but, congrats Ainsley!

Ainsley McTree posted:

also, from above the law. I assume folks have seen this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE