Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Quartknee posted:

Are there any other duties we could have my cousin do to participate in the ceremony?

Same issue, we made the 12 year old an usher that helped people find their seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009
that could work, we have two ushers already, more can't hurt.

I just now thought that she could be a guest book attendant...

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Quartknee posted:

I have a question about ring bearers/flower girls.

My fiancee's cousin has 3 children, a 3 year old that we want to be a ring bearer. So naturally, we have asked their other daughters (5 and 7) to be flower girls.

Now, my aunt has a 11 year old, and she has been asking if she can be a flower girl. we kind of think she is too old, and don't want too many flower girls. We also don't want them to feel left out, or offend any family. I suggested one girl from each side, but it might be a little weird with a 11 year old and a 5/7 year old. Plus her family wouldn't take anybody getting left out kindly.

Are there any other duties we could have my cousin do to participate in the ceremony?

I've always found it kinda stupid and she might be too young for it, but you could also do the whole "junior bridesmaid" thing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Quartknee posted:

that could work, we have two ushers already, more can't hurt.

I just now thought that she could be a guest book attendant...

Someone who knows where all the bathrooms are and can help older people find them as needed can never be a bad thing.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002

Quartknee posted:

don't want too many flower girls. We also don't want them to feel left out, or offend any family. I suggested one girl from each side, but it might be a little weird with a 11 year old and a 5/7 year old. Plus her family wouldn't take anybody getting left out kindly.

I don't get this thought process. It might be weird? To who? The Official Arbiters of Wedding Appropriateness? To your family? To your friends?

Too many flower girls? I can't imagine anyone going to a wedding and saying "Yes, it was a beautiful ceremony, but there were just too many girls walking down an aisle, being happy and spreading flowers."

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

So my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years officially popped the question this weekend! He took me on a hike and he asked while we were setting up lunch in a spot overlooking a waterfall.

The waterfall:

The ring (sapphire, as I'm not very into diamonds):

Us just afterward:

All of my friends love the dog's expression in the last one. What you can't tell is that he's trying to figure out whether the dachshund the people who stopped to take our picture had with them was a squirrel he should chase, or a dog he should play with. Neither of which would have been good anyway since we were on top of a waterfall.

We're planning on getting married in April or May of 2012. Complicating matters is the fact that we are not living together now and won't be able to for several years after the wedding as a result of our decision to attend PhD programs on opposite sides of the country. We debated putting things off until we're done but decided against it.

Despite the fact that I am not especially girly and certainly did not spend my childhood dreaming about getting married I am actually pretty excited about planning the wedding. Even though I'm sure it's going to be a pain due to the distance thing and the fact that my parents are divorced and hate each other.

I've already gotten some cool ideas from this thread!

Low Carb Bread
Sep 6, 2007

Eris posted:

I don't get this thought process. It might be weird? To who? The Official Arbiters of Wedding Appropriateness? To your family? To your friends?

Too many flower girls? I can't imagine anyone going to a wedding and saying "Yes, it was a beautiful ceremony, but there were just too many girls walking down an aisle, being happy and spreading flowers."

Agreed. Yeah 11 might be on the older side for a flower girl, but you gotta work with what you've got. If it makes her and the family happy, bend the rules. If it's her dream to be flowergirl, this is her last shot. Alternatively, the usher thing could be cool as well.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Ceridwen posted:

Us just afterward:

Congratulations!!! I love that he brought Rusty along for the proposal, like "See, you have to say 'yes' because we already have a dog together."

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Quartknee posted:

I have a question about ring bearers/flower girls.

My fiancee's cousin has 3 children, a 3 year old that we want to be a ring bearer. So naturally, we have asked their other daughters (5 and 7) to be flower girls.

Now, my aunt has a 11 year old, and she has been asking if she can be a flower girl. we kind of think she is too old, and don't want too many flower girls. We also don't want them to feel left out, or offend any family. I suggested one girl from each side, but it might be a little weird with a 11 year old and a 5/7 year old. Plus her family wouldn't take anybody getting left out kindly.

I'm having an argument with the fiance now. His sister got butthurt when I told her she was too old to be flower girl. She's 16...fiance doesn't want to hurt her feelings and won't put his foot down.

Will it ruin the wedding that a 16 year old will be a flower girl? No. Will it be silly? God yes.

I'm really hoping that she can be convinced to be an usher or like a cake cutter or something.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
I'm of the opinion that ring bearers and flower girls don't need to stand with the rest of the wedding party during the ceremony. So you can have 20 kids parade down the isle and cover the place in petals and they all go sit with their parents after they make it to the alter and present the rings to the best man. It won't look weird or uneven because they're just leading the procession down the aisle.

Ms. Happiness posted:

I'm having an argument with the fiance now. His sister got butthurt when I told her she was too old to be flower girl. She's 16...fiance doesn't want to hurt her feelings and won't put his foot down.

Will it ruin the wedding that a 16 year old will be a flower girl? No. Will it be silly? God yes.

I'm really hoping that she can be convinced to be an usher or like a cake cutter or something.

She's your future sister-in-law, why on earth is she NOT in the wedding party?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Ceridwen posted:

. Complicating matters is the fact that we are not living together now and won't be able to for several years after the wedding as a result of our decision to attend PhD programs on opposite sides of the country. We debated putting things off until we're done but decided against it.

I did this for 3 years while in law school, while my fiancee was at a different school in a different state. It's completely doable if your communication is extremely good.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

PopRocks posted:

She's your future sister-in-law, why on earth is she NOT in the wedding party?

I'm not on the best terms with his family, unfortunately. I know you've posted before about the whole coming together of families thing with weddings. I think ideally that's wonderful and more power to the people that can do that. I love my fiance but his family and I butt heads on a lot of things.

PopRocks
Jul 4, 2003

WTF am I reading?
Isn't that just one more thing to unnecessarily butt heads over, though? Seems like not including her, especially in such a minor role in the wedding processional, is just adding more fuel to their fire.

I mean, you're marrying this person, like them or not, they're gonna be deeply involved in your lives forever, even if you move to another continent, hell even if you never see or speak to them, the fact that your spouse has contact with them means everything they do and say to him will effect you for the rest of your life. I guess that's why I'm so much in support of including family in the wedding, I've seen couples that try to avoid their in-laws and it's pretty much impossible. Better to kill them with kindness and not give them anything to hold against you. Short of your spouse disowning his family and never allowing any contact with them, you have to put up with them.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I initially wanted her to be a lay reader in a our wedding ceremony (read Bible verses for the service). I even asked her if that was okay and she seemed fine with it. About a month back she's saying that she's scared of public speaking (I did not know this) and that she -really- wanted to be a flower girl but I said she's too old. Fiance's mom assured her that I was just being mean and she could be a flower girl if she wanted thus making me out to be the bad person.

As much as I think the whole thing is silly, you're right...I don't want to get into a petty fight about this whole thing. My fiance is going to talk with her about it so we'll see if she still wants to be a flower girl or could be convinced to do something else. I'd be fine with her being a bridesmaid if it just made things go smoother, haha. Whether or not she's a flower girl or whatever, we're still having the wedding and will get married, which is the important thing through all this, right?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Ms. Happiness posted:

Who cares? She's the one who has to be 16 (which, if you recall, sucks for everyone everywhere) and up there being a flower girl. If it's going to reflect badly on anyone, I can only imagine it would reflect badly on her for being kind of weird about it. Besides, is your wedding going to be a black tie super somber affair with the pope doing the service or something? gently caress it. Let her be involved how she wants to be involved. It's not like she's trying to guilt you into having a wedding in a church as an atheist, or trying to tell you that x is tacky, or trying to micromanage you. She just wants to be involved how she feels comfortable being involved.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
I just wanted to share some pictures of our wedding. We ended up doing everything for about 6-7k. We went with a student photographer based on her portfolio and we couldn't have been happier.

marylou
Jun 30, 2005

SplitDestiny posted:

I just wanted to share some pictures of our wedding. We ended up doing everything for about 6-7k. We went with a student photographer based on her portfolio and we couldn't have been happier.

Holy moly those pictures are so beautiful!! I love the last one. :) you're both smiling with your eyes while you're kissing. :3:

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

SplitDestiny posted:

Gorgeous! Happy brides and grooms are the best :)

I have what may be a silly question: where do normal people get married? I've been looking for just a nice outdoor venue for 60-80 people for months and I can't find anything. There's public parks, but they're booked about a year in advance, and I haven't found any kind of private venue for under $4,000 plus all kinds of vendor stipulations. It's getting kind of frustrating. We can't really plan anything else until we have the location picked out, but I'm not going to pay $6000 to rent a field for four hours.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SWATJester posted:

I did this for 3 years while in law school, while my fiancee was at a different school in a different state. It's completely doable if your communication is extremely good.

Hey, what's up split-up-by-law-school buddy. My fiance just got done, I've got one year left; we'll be planning while I'm finishing up. Luckily, she has some time before her job starts, so one of us can actually devote a lot of attention to the thing.

hennypenny posted:

I have what may be a silly question: where do normal people get married?

Are any close family members country club members? Otherwise, check out historic sites in the place you're in. In St. Louis, there are all sorts of publicly owned, outdoor spaces that can be rented for purposes like this. I'm getting married in a Cathedral, though, so I'm not sure about prices. Seems like, being public, they'd be cheaper than private options.

Which actually brings me to my question. I'm not baptized, she is, we're getting a catholic wedding. Obviously we're both more than okay with the situation, and I'm relatively comfortable in the structure of a mass (I've been attending church with her family semi-regularly for a couple years now). But, I'd appreciate someone to talk to who's been in the same situation as me, just so I know what to expect with pre-cana, what the expectations are of me during the ceremony, that sorta thing. Anyone around here in my shoes?

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

hennypenny posted:

I have what may be a silly question: where do normal people get married? I've been looking for just a nice outdoor venue for 60-80 people for months and I can't find anything. There's public parks, but they're booked about a year in advance, and I haven't found any kind of private venue for under $4,000 plus all kinds of vendor stipulations. It's getting kind of frustrating. We can't really plan anything else until we have the location picked out, but I'm not going to pay $6000 to rent a field for four hours.

As for venues, it's just calling around and trying to find something in your budget. We actually used the University of Michigan Botanical gardens, but it was still $1100 for the venue. We had the reception off site.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

hennypenny posted:

Most people I know do book 1+ years in advance so they can get the park/botanical garden/etc venue that they want. I booked about 14 months in advance to have my ceremony and reception at an awesome historical mansion with lovely grounds.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Boxman posted:

Which actually brings me to my question. I'm not baptized, she is, we're getting a catholic wedding. Obviously we're both more than okay with the situation, and I'm relatively comfortable in the structure of a mass (I've been attending church with her family semi-regularly for a couple years now). But, I'd appreciate someone to talk to who's been in the same situation as me, just so I know what to expect with pre-cana, what the expectations are of me during the ceremony, that sorta thing. Anyone around here in my shoes?

I'm sort of surprised that you're having a Mass. My friend had to just have the wedding service since her husband isn't Catholic. Anyway. I believe your fiancee will have to make a pledge to raise future kids Catholic. How well this experience goes for the both of you is highly dependent on how well you mesh with the priest. We ended up changing to a different priest (he was supposed to be moving before we married) and things started to go much better after that change.

Pre-Cana varies from parish to parish. No matter what, you're going to be meeting with the priest who will be officiating at your ceremony. You'll take a Catholic version of the FOCCUS test which is sort of a compatibility test thing that you'll discuss the results of with the priest. I don't remember all of it, but the intent is to help you find any areas that you maybe haven't discussed regarding marriage and married life. It's nothing to sweat. Lots of filling in bubbles with your #2 pencil though.

Along with all of the priest meetings and general planning stuff, you'll either have classes, a sponsor couple and/or a Saturday retreat. My church did the Saturday retreat which sort of combines all the topics from the classes into one big day of talks/discussion. My friend did that retreat but was also required to have a sponsor couple by her home parish (where she was marrying). My husband and I aren't uber-Catholics (even though I converted) and none of this was difficult to go through (despite us disagreeing w/ the no birth control thing).

PM me for a more in depth talk about the retreat or church specific stuff if you have questions. It can be overwhelming at times.

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!

Ms. Happiness posted:

We're having my fiance's 15-year old cousin as a flower girl/junior bridesmaid. I don't exactly know what the hell a junior bridesmaid is supposed to be, I think we're just throwing that title in there so people won't be surprised to see a gangling teenage girl throwing flowers instead of a 4-year old in a cupcake gown. It's a little non-traditional but what the heck? She's a peach of a kid, she's family and she really wants to be included.

It's your wedding and you're entitled to feel however you want about it, but lately I'm finding myself caring less about a non-traditional detail here and there, and more about including my family members who are overflowing with happiness and love for us.

SplitDestiny posted:

These are gorgeous pictures and you're a knockout bride! Congratulations!

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

elle vee posted:

These are gorgeous pictures and you're a knockout bride! Congratulations!

I was the groom :P but thanks!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
What are some good non-diamond choices for a ring? How do I know I am getting a good gemstone? My girlfriend doesn't like the whole diamond trade so I am trying to think of good alternatives.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

What are some good non-diamond choices for a ring? How do I know I am getting a good gemstone? My girlfriend doesn't like the whole diamond trade so I am trying to think of good alternatives.

If you search this thread for / google moissanite, that's a great starting place--tons of fire, white / clear stone just like a diamond, and lots of goons in this very thread have been happy with it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I love, love, love my moissanite ring! I have pictures if you're interested.

hennypenny
Dec 16, 2005

life is just butterscotch and dreams

Fire In The Disco posted:

I love, love, love my moissanite ring! I have pictures if you're interested.

Me too! Prettier, cheaper, and more ethical than diamonds. Can't go wrong.

Dies Irae
May 12, 2001

You won't believe what I found in the desert - another lost tape deck!

hennypenny posted:

Me too! Prettier, cheaper, and more ethical than diamonds. Can't go wrong.
One problem I found with moissanite is that it simply isn't available in some cuts. I specifically wanted an emerald-cut stone, but moissanite isn't cut that way for some reason. Instead, I went with a white sapphire.

By the way JohnnyRnR has been great to work with in putting together the perfect ring. I'll show pictures here when I receive it!

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!

SplitDestiny posted:

I was the groom :P but thanks!

Ha! Sorry about that, guess I'm so used to The Knot, Indie Bride etc. where it's all brides posting pictures.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Does she like colored stones? Sapphires and rubies are also good options (while moissanite is better if you want to recreate the diamond look). Keep in mind you want a very hard stone for an engagement ring, since it will be worn every day.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
Yeah, it's worth looking into some colored stones that she could like. If she wants some color, but still wants it to look traditional, a very lightly pigmented gem is nice. I'm hoping for a very light blue sapphire for mine. :)

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I'm significantly biased because I sell diamonds, but the diamond trade of today is 99% free of any kind of conflict. The main sources of diamonds sold in the United States are South Africa, Russia, Australia, and Canada. Those countries may not be perfect, but their diamonds are mined by corporations that share the mining programs with the local governments and respect the rights of their workers and the indigenous peoples.

Admittedly, in other countries there are problems with the profits of the mines trickling down to the local populace but that would be more of a systemic problem with most developing countries.

If a diamond just won't do I would recommend sapphire as a substitute. They are hard and durable, are available in a wide range of colors, and have a bit of romantic history about them as they were traditionally the engagement ring of the Kings and Queens of Europe.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
When you buy your engagement ring, do you buy the wedding bands as well at the same time?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
You can, or you can buy it later. When we got engaged, my now-husband bought my engagement ring and then a few months before we got married we bought both of our wedding bands at once. But if you have an engagement ring that requires a special band to fit the shape of her ring, then it might be smart to buy them at the same time.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I am away for work 8-10 weeks at a time, and as such, missed our 4 year anniv. SO, i just made reservations at the swanky hotel, and I am going to suprise her when I come home and throw around some of this money I've been making.

elle vee
Apr 16, 2003

thank you, ma'am!

Bruiser posted:

I am away for work 8-10 weeks at a time, and as such, missed our 4 year anniv. SO, i just made reservations at the swanky hotel, and I am going to suprise her when I come home and throw around some of this money I've been making.

Nice. Did you guys choose that venue you were looking at?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Possibly not an answerable question, but I figure I'll try.

Can anyone suggest ideas for types of places to look for, in order to get a really nice autumn wedding for a really small price-tag?

I'm starting to look for wedding venues, particularly for an autumn wedding next year. I am, unfortunately, both east coast AND fairly close to NYC. Anything that knows it can be a good wedding venue has priced itself outside the realm of reality for us. In short, I think that I need to look for places that don't know they're awesome wedding locations yet.

The "realm of reality", unfortunately, is about $5,000 total for 40-50 people, including bridal party. It seems like $5K gets you either a venue or a meal, but never both.

If I need to, I *can* bend on the $5K, but I'd rather not since we have so much student debt between the two of us. She's got a good $80,000 of her own, on top of my $35,000, so any debt I can avoid is good news. :)

(I'm looking for a nice place, though... there's always the Shriners' Lodge, but I'd prefer not to do that either. :D)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If it was me in your position, I would do a JP ceremony, and put all of the money into a reception. As for venues, maybe think of parks? Lovely fall leaves changing color could be a great thing, and if it's not like Central Park or anything, it could save you money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Sundae posted:

Possibly not an answerable question, but I figure I'll try.

Can anyone suggest ideas for types of places to look for, in order to get a really nice autumn wedding for a really small price-tag?

I'm starting to look for wedding venues, particularly for an autumn wedding next year. I am, unfortunately, both east coast AND fairly close to NYC. Anything that knows it can be a good wedding venue has priced itself outside the realm of reality for us. In short, I think that I need to look for places that don't know they're awesome wedding locations yet.

The "realm of reality", unfortunately, is about $5,000 total for 40-50 people, including bridal party. It seems like $5K gets you either a venue or a meal, but never both.

If I need to, I *can* bend on the $5K, but I'd rather not since we have so much student debt between the two of us. She's got a good $80,000 of her own, on top of my $35,000, so any debt I can avoid is good news. :)

(I'm looking for a nice place, though... there's always the Shriners' Lodge, but I'd prefer not to do that either. :D)

Parks, small historical sites like old houses, country clubs?, national parks, friend's nice backyard (worth a go...), university venues/museums/parks.

Not engaged, but I have my eye on Look Park in Florence, MA. I went to school near there and it's a really lovely area, especially in Autumn with all the leaves :3: Plus, it's pretty cheap. I was looking especially at the "Garden House" part, which is indoors too. Someplace similar to that might be an option for you.