Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Moosephant posted:

I figure I'll read Taking Charge of Your Fertility anyway and use the ovulation strips so that I can at least get an idea of what's going on in there.

I'm going to give us a few months to try to conceive, then use the Nuvaring for a month because I've heard that sometimes women are more fertile coming right off birth control and it also gets my periods back on track.

TCOYF is a great book and I wish I'd bought it far earlier than I actually did. Even though I haven't gotten pregnant yet, charting temps and checking my cervix and having a record of all that makes me feel like I actually have an idea of what's going on with my body, and I'm glad that if we end up going to a fertility doctor later on down the road, I'll already have helpful charts of my past cycles that will hopefully help the doctor point us in the right direction.

I wish I had been super fertile coming off birth control! However, I didn't have a period for the entire 2 years I had a Mirena in so I'm wondering if it'll take two years for my body to go back to normal. I also gained a ton of weight on it, which is taking forever to come back off and I'm sure that's also affecting my ability to ovulate and such. It is so difficult when there are so many factors that you know could be affecting your fertility--good luck to everyone here :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Moosephant posted:

Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to take a folic acid supplement too?

Does your prenatal have any folic acid in it? If not then, yes, definitely pick some up. You want to be taking about 400 mcg/day. It helps to prevent neural tube defects in the baby.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Mangue, I just looked and the prenatal vitamins I'm taking (Kroger brand) have 800 mcg of folic acid. One of the reasons I started taking prenatals instead of regular vitamins (even though we weren't really planning to have a kid soon when I started them) was because neural tube defects freak me out big time so I wanted something with lots of folic acid. According to my very brief internet research, pregnant women should take 600-1000 mcg of folic acid every day so 800 should be fine. When I do get knocked up, I'll ask the doctor, but of course neural tube defects occur really early on so the damage would probably already be done by then.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Moosephant posted:

Mangue, I just looked and the prenatal vitamins I'm taking (Kroger brand) have 800 mcg of folic acid. One of the reasons I started taking prenatals instead of regular vitamins (even though we weren't really planning to have a kid soon when I started them) was because neural tube defects freak me out big time so I wanted something with lots of folic acid. According to my very brief internet research, pregnant women should take 600-1000 mcg of folic acid every day so 800 should be fine. When I do get knocked up, I'll ask the doctor, but of course neural tube defects occur really early on so the damage would probably already be done by then.

I am a bit of an outlier given the fact that I have a history of neural defects, but my doc told me to take an additional 500mcg of folic acid with my prenatal when I was trying to get knocked up--so for me it was 1000mcg in the vitamin + 500 mcg extra while trying and for the first 14 weeks. Folic acid is not something that you can get too much of because it is water soulble, the worst that you end up with is expensive pee if you take too much. So far my little guy looks good--I have gotten a few views of him given my age (36) and history.

Fingers crossed for all of you ladies.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 17, 2010

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
That's why my doctor recommended that I start taking prenatals instead of multis as soon as we decided we were going to try to get pregnant. I had been taking them for a year instead of regular multis before getting pregnant with Cecilia. Obviously that doesn't help if you have an oops, but otherwise definitely just take prenatals.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Moosephant posted:

I may pick up a folic acid supplement too. I've actually been taking a prenatal vitamin for several months now too. Do you guys think it would be worthwhile to take a folic acid supplement too?

Yes.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010

Banana Cat posted:

I wish I had been super fertile coming off birth control! However, I didn't have a period for the entire 2 years I had a Mirena in so I'm wondering if it'll take two years for my body to go back to normal. I also gained a ton of weight on it, which is taking forever to come back off and I'm sure that's also affecting my ability to ovulate and such. It is so difficult when there are so many factors that you know could be affecting your fertility--good luck to everyone here :)

I was on the depo shot, which as I understand it has similar hormones to Mirena, for two years and it caused some pretty serious issues for me. I stayed off of birth control for 2 years it scared me off it so badly.

My period and ovulation returned after 4 months. The weight started melting at about 3 months and then it just sort of liquefied right off me.

It might take some time, but it won't take two years. :)

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Bahunter22 posted:

Eh, I'm use to it now. He's a good guy so I let him slide with his silliness. As much fun as it is for me to talk about our future kids, I don't expect a serious answer until crunch time.

That's not really good :\ Conversations about children in regards to raising them, discipline, ideas about parenting, schooling, religion, anything like that should be discussed well before deciding to have a baby. If not, you could discover you have polar differences when it comes to very important issues.

In regards to folic acid, I've been taking 5mg (yes, mg not mcg) for about 18 months because another medication I take can increase the risk of neural tube defects.

dishonesty fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 17, 2010

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!

fishandcandy posted:

Yes.

Fishandcandy, I read about the loss of your baby :( I'm so sorry. You faced one of my greatest fears and I can only imagine how hard it was for you.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

dishonesty posted:

That's not really good :\ Conversations about children in regards to raising them, discipline, ideas about parenting, schooling, religion, anything like that should be discussed well before deciding to have a baby. If not, you could discover you have polar differences when it comes to very important issues.

We have had discussions before they come up with how they'll be raised and how many we'll have and especially which of the psycho family members will not have access to them at all, religion, schooling, and the likes. Hell, we've even discussed the pros and cons of the local hospitals. We've got a lot covered and we agree on about 99% of it. Mostly it comes down to discussing the things about getting ready for said baby (ex. names, where the baby will sleep, the feeding/diaper rotation, etc). He's a comedian or thinks he is, but as soon as we get that second line, its a whole different ball game. I've seen a sample of what's to come, I'm not worried.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.
Oh okay :) Sorry for sounding like a Negative Nancy, I've just had a friend who never talked about babies etc with her partner because "I've seen him with other kids, and he's great so he'll be a good father!"

Then they had massive issues when it came to pretty big stuff.

Bahunter22 posted:

which of the psycho family members will not have access to them at all

Also this made me lol

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
I've put a lot of thought into if I want my mother's family around my children at all. They're very Southern Appalachian and are very vocal about exactly what can and cannot be done, exactly how men and women are supposed to be, racist, sexist, homophobic, and just plain cruel. When I proudly announced my acceptance into Grad school (in a competitive program mind you) my grandmother burst into tears and started screeching about how I was wasting my life. All of my aunts have been incredibly rude about me being educated at all, and state that I'm not a "real woman" and that my husband needs to "beat some sense" into me.

I don't want to shut out an entire side of my family from my kid, but they gave me a lot of hell as a kid and adult. I guess I just need to give it a touch and go attitude and see how I can mediate the shitstorms they like to stir up.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Wow, oval office Pickle. I don't blame you for being reluctant to have your kids around them. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of people actually being like that. My dad's family is from a small town in Kentucky and some of them are pretty red neck and trashy, but not to that extent. If you do let your kids be around them occasionally, just remember that it's GOOD for kids to be exposed to different people and situations as long as you make sure to discuss what they saw and heard with them later. And don't leave them alone with the relatives. I'm sure my father will be a loving grandpa, but he has a tendency to both tell children inappropriate things and tell them weird made up poo poo. He thinks kids will understand that he's kidding, but small children are very literal. We've decided we'll just debrief our kids after a visit with Grandpa.

Does anyone else spend time looking at baby things online and resisting the urge to buy gender neutral baby clothes?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

dishonesty posted:

Oh okay :) Sorry for sounding like a Negative Nancy, I've just had a friend who never talked about babies etc with her partner because "I've seen him with other kids, and he's great so he'll be a good father!"

Then they had massive issues when it came to pretty big stuff.

Also this made me lol

No worries, Dishonesty. I've known people that are "Yeah! Lets have a kid!" And don't talk about it at. all. They've all been train wrecks. I enjoy our particular situation because we've been together for over a decade, married for 5 years. We started dating in high school so we kind of grew up together and have very similar feelings in the way our kids will be raised. The only reservation I have is getting to the point where "Mom said no but Dad said yes" kind of thing, but I'm sure we'll work it out when we get there. I totally wasn't joking about the family too. I have a MIL that I will be putting on the "No Contact" lists at school. Right above Hitler.

I totally look at baby stuff all the time. I have caved twice and bought two cherry blossom items because they were just too adorable. Its my hope that we'll have a girl someday. My husband apparently "only makes boys" according to him. His family is all boys and I'd like a son, but I would like to make another "fluke" for their side of the family.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Bahunter, my husband's family only makes boys too. He's 1 of 2 sons, his father is 1 of 3 sons, his uncles only had boys, and his brother has 2 boys. My father-in-law and his brothers were adopted (as a sibling group) so we don't know earlier than them. I'm basically going into this assuming we'll have a little boy. I would however love to have a girl (though would be thrilled with a boy too). My husband says he doesn't know how to raise a girl, but he's never raised a boy before either and I'm not at all concerned. I just tell him that you can do the exact same things with girls as boys :) His boss has a 3 year old daughter who he often brings to work and my husband's been her favorite person since she was about a year and a half old because he plays with her a lot and has intelligent conversations with her.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
For those of you who took birth control for an extended amount of time:

How long did it take your cycle to return to normal?

My last cycle was my first full cycle off birth control. It was 26 days long. That 26th day should have been today, but no period. No positive pregnancy tests either.

I feel like my period may start at any time- cramping, breakouts, and wild mood swings- but it hasn't. I don't know how to judge my fertile time for next cycle if the days jump around like this. They never did before I started birth control, or while on birth control, so this is uncharted territory for me.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I was on birth control for 12 years. I went off of it in January of 2009 and got pregnant in July. I never got a period in that time, but obviously I was ovulating. It's possible that this could happen to anyone, my OB said, so I would look for other signs of fertility beyond just menstruating, just to play it safe.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
I was considering using the BBT method.

Anyone have experience with this thermometer?
http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/bbt-thermometers.html

Or any better ones/methods of predicting ovulation?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I was on the pill for 8+ years. Finished my pack up this last September, around the 20th and ovulated right off the bat. I got my period a few days early than what I had predicted though so maybe my cycles will be more like 24 days? Not sure. I got both the CM change and the ovary pain plus positive OPKs for two full days. It pretty much went by the book which was surprising since this is technically my first normal cycle.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Bahunter, that's awesome! I'll bet you'll get pregnant quickly since things seem to be working well for you so far :)

We went to the store tonight and I bought grapefruit juice, raspberry leaf tea, a folic acid supplement (with 800 mcg, that will bring my total to 1600 mcg of folic acid when combined with the prenatal vitamin) and this B complex vitamin:

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Vitamin-Complex-Capsules/dp/B003B3OOR8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1287379164&sr=1-3

Did I get the right one?

Now I just hope this stuff helps. My shipment with the ovulation and pregnancy tests, TCOYF book, and Pre Seed lube shipped the other day too. I'm excited!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The oval office Pickle posted:

I didn't have any luck with a digital thermometer. I'd take my temp and take it again and it'd be a completely different number. When 1/10ths of a degree matter, it wasn't working for me. I actually use one like this http://www.amazon.com/Geratherm-Basal-Mercury-Free-Thermometer/dp/B0013NB6CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1287407157&sr=8-1
and hold it in my arm pit for 15 minutes since its suppose to be more accurate than taking your temp in your mouth.

I guess the most accurate spot is to stick it in your vagina, but I just can't do that.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

I use an $8 thermometer from Target and it works great. The features are about the same as that one.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Moosephant posted:

Bahunter, that's awesome! I'll bet you'll get pregnant quickly since things seem to be working well for you so far :)

Thanks! I hope so, but you never know how bodies are. I could get a wonky reaction anytime, but I'm staying hopeful. Missed the money shot last month it seems. We'll see about this month.

I was going to do the BBT but the hubby lost my thermometer not long after I had started it. Great. When I had taken it though I got skewed numbers every day. I finally just threw in the towel on that. Could have been the thermometer, I guess we'll never know. That reminds me, I need to buy a new one since mine was thrown into the abyss.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Moosephant posted:

Now I just hope this stuff helps. My shipment with the ovulation and pregnancy tests, TCOYF book, and Pre Seed lube shipped the other day too. I'm excited!

Ha ha, this scene has happened all too frequently in the last year:

Husband: Ah, you got a package today.
Me: :swoon: My ovulation tests are here! *runs off to pee*

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Banana Cat posted:

Ha ha, this scene has happened all too frequently in the last year:

Husband: Ah, you got a package today.
Me: :swoon: My ovulation tests are here! *runs off to pee*

LOL, mine went like this...

Hubby: What did you order?
Me: Stuff.
Hubby: What kind of stuff?
Me: Stuff for me.
Hubby: (Clearly agitated) What stuff for you?
Me: OVULATION PREDICTOR KITS, OKAY?!
Hubby: EWWW! I don't want to know that!
Me: (Eyeroll and sigh)

End Scene.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband gets jealous of ovulation test strips cause I get to pee on something and he doesn't.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010

Alterian posted:

I didn't have any luck with a digital thermometer. I'd take my temp and take it again and it'd be a completely different number. When 1/10ths of a degree matter, it wasn't working for me. I actually use one like this http://www.amazon.com/Geratherm-Basal-Mercury-Free-Thermometer/dp/B0013NB6CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1287407157&sr=8-1
and hold it in my arm pit for 15 minutes since its suppose to be more accurate than taking your temp in your mouth.

I guess the most accurate spot is to stick it in your vagina, but I just can't do that.

I'm not very good at reading non-digital thermometers, so I wouldn't use one for the same reason you had issues with the digital. I have to use mercury thermometers in my chem labs and I suck at the readings.

My thermometer recommend rectal temperature as the most accurate, but there's no way in hell I'm sticking a thermometer up my butt just to see if I'm ovulating.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

My thermometer recommend rectal temperature as the most accurate, but there's no way in hell I'm sticking a thermometer up my butt just to see if I'm ovulating.

Yeah, that's a no go in my book too. Honestly if you feel confident that you can gauge having a change in CM, stick with that (no pun intended). If you can spring for the cheap OPKs, even better. I love those things.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!

Alterian posted:

My husband gets jealous of ovulation test strips cause I get to pee on something and he doesn't.

You know how some couples like to make the pregnancy a team effort as much as possible, saying things like "we're pregnant," "we're in labor,"... "our nausea"... Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for supportive partners, but I've never seen a pregnant man (and that guy who is transgendered and carried babies for his wife does not count). I can imagine the dude pissing on ovulation test strips so he can take part in the experience.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Moosephant posted:

I can imagine the dude pissing on ovulation test strips so he can take part in the experience.

:ssh: I think he just likes to pee on things.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!

Alterian posted:

:ssh: I think he just likes to pee on things.

Hehe, I didn't mean your husband specifically :) I'm sure mine would like to pee on things too.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Alterian posted:

The most accurate spot is your vagina or rectum, and the vagina is way cleaner!

I never understood this sentiment, if you are trying for a baby sooner or later you are going to have a variety of things put in your vagina, a thermometer is just one more.

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Gotta admit, if I end up doing the temperature charting (I've read it doesn't work if you have PCOS and you need to have really regular sleeping habits, which I definitely do not), I'm going to take the temperature vaginally since it's more accurate and all and the idea just doesn't bother me. I however would not stick a thermometer in my butt, accuracy be damned.

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
I don't mind taking my temperature vaginally, but it ain't going in my rear end.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I let my alarm go off early, grab my thermometer and stick it under my arm and doze off for another 15 minutes. If I stuck it up my vag, I could see myself dozing off, half forgetting about it, and managing to break the glass thermometer while its up there. :gonk:

Moosephant
Mar 1, 2007
Mooses for youses!
Alterian, that's why I want a digital thermometer if I'm going to be taking my temperature vaginally. I can imagine rolling over and ending up with spiky glass shards in my vagina. No thank you.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Out of all the stuff that goes with conceiving, I think the thing that frightens me the most is thinking I might be too overweight to conceive. I'm overweight sure, but I'm not a tank, I'm actually not even in plus size clothing. I've never been a size zero, heck I don't even think I've ever been smaller than a size 10 because of my frame. All of my blood tests came back normal, nothing was in danger of being too high or anything. Does anyone else have this fear or am I just being a freak?

The Cunt Pickle
Sep 7, 2010
I think of a new "fear" that inhibits my fertility every day, so no, you are not a freak. :)

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bahunter22 posted:

Out of all the stuff that goes with conceiving, I think the thing that frightens me the most is thinking I might be too overweight to conceive. I'm overweight sure, but I'm not a tank, I'm actually not even in plus size clothing. I've never been a size zero, heck I don't even think I've ever been smaller than a size 10 because of my frame. All of my blood tests came back normal, nothing was in danger of being too high or anything. Does anyone else have this fear or am I just being a freak?

I have this exact same fear, especially since my cycles are so irregular and all my blood tests for thyroids, hormones, etc came back totally normal and I keep reading that extra weight fucks with estrogen feedback and messes with ovulation. Also, at the last appointment I had with my old doc before I switched to a new doc, she pulled up my chart and said, "Oh, it looks like you're losing weight. You need to lose a lot more, though, you know." Oh why thanks for rubbing that in, I TOTALLY hadn't realized I was overweight and I definitely didn't already tell you that I had changed my diet and had started a new exercise program a few weeks ago :mad:. She was the one who, when I initially went to see her because I hadn't had a period (off birth control) in 4 months and had sharp abdominal pain was CONVINCED I was pregnant, surprised when I wasn't even though I kept telling her it was impossible, then kept repeating, "Oh well, you're young, I don't know why you're worrying about this."

I am frustrated a bit because I was hoping my weight would drop off quickly, but I've only lost about 12lbs since the very end of May. The good thing is my weight is STAYING off, unlike other times I've tried to lose weight, but I'm still impatient with my progress :). However I'm about a size 12 at 5'4 and there are definitely women bigger than me who have conceived after losing just a little weight, so I'm holding out hope and continuing my diet + exercise in the meantime.

Also if you're tall/large-framed you may have nothing to worry about. Being underweight can also gently caress up your cycle, so no worries about not being a size 0, either :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

Alterian posted:

I let my alarm go off early, grab my thermometer and stick it under my arm and doze off for another 15 minutes. If I stuck it up my vag, I could see myself dozing off, half forgetting about it, and managing to break the glass thermometer while its up there. :gonk:

Exactly. I take my temp at 4:30 when my husband goes to work. I don't want to wake up 2 hours later wondering where my thermometer is.

• Locked thread