Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Might want to adjust your white balance. Looks a bit cold.

I did that in post, the actual WB is quite warm

Oldie but a goodie: Such Gold at the Transit CD release show

Such Gold-48 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Tonight I'm going to see Hot Hot Heat/Hey Rosetta/Rich Aucoin gonna bring my camera, probably won't shoot too much though. and Thursday I'm going to see The Wooden Sky, There'll be pics from that for sure.

Where are those Ozfest pics?
;)

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Jeez, my real job has been crazy- I have traveled for the last 4 weeks. Shot Lady Antebellum for the second time. They also made me stay at the soundboard- again. I will not shoot them any more- big loving waste of time. I pretty much refuse to take a 400 2.8 to a concert. Mostly been shooting NFL games when I have had any time. Have Flaming Lips tonight, Carie Underwood in a few weeks and Ozzy in February.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I'm shooting Andrew and the WKs tomorrow night and then the Dresden Dolls next month. Should be good.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Eeek posted:

Jeez, my real job has been crazy- I have traveled for the last 4 weeks. Shot Lady Antebellum for the second time. They also made me stay at the soundboard- again. I will not shoot them any more- big loving waste of time. I pretty much refuse to take a 400 2.8 to a concert. Mostly been shooting NFL games when I have had any time. Have Flaming Lips tonight, Carie Underwood in a few weeks and Ozzy in February.

Having a teleconverter comes in handy for stuff like that. Sure, shooting at f/5.6 sucks, but it's better than nothing.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

AHH GOING TO SHOOT A BAND (LIVE) NOW
AHH

SCARED

BRINGING

5D2
50 1.4
16-35 2.8
70-200 2.8
430 EX II

I don't plan on using the 16 very much, or at all, if only for a few photos. I don't really like the get in REAL CLOSE and shoot REALLY WIDE type party stuff so I'm going to see what I can do with my tele and 50

WISH ME LUCK DORKROOM

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Penpal posted:

I don't plan on using the 16 very much, or at all, if only for a few photos. I don't really like the get in REAL CLOSE and shoot REALLY WIDE type party stuff so I'm going to see what I can do with my tele and 50

WISH ME LUCK DORKROOM

Have fun taking photos of the back of peoples' heads.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

FREE BEER IS AWESOME. The lighting in the place I'm shooting is beautiful, but garbage at the same time. I'm pumped, this is the second show I've shot and it's really just going to be a learning experience. I'm basically using this opportunity to get my feet wet, then move on to location shoots with other local bands.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

HPL posted:

Having a teleconverter comes in handy for stuff like that. Sure, shooting at f/5.6 sucks, but it's better than nothing.

I have one that I stick on my 70-200- and your right, it works in a pinch. But it is not something I would ever choose to do. It takes decent, workable pictures but never anything I am very happy with.

I know, I know- everyone has that picture. Ha!

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Eeek posted:

I have one that I stick on my 70-200- and your right, it works in a pinch. But it is not something I would ever choose to do. It takes decent, workable pictures but never anything I am very happy with.

I know, I know- everyone has that picture. Ha!

Does not make it any less awesome.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I will consider it my job to try and get that photo at least once during my career.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

dunkman posted:

I'm shooting Andrew and the WKs tomorrow night.

I don't...I don't remember going to the concert but I have 776 pictures taken. Also some friends I haven't seen in 1 year+ woke up at my house and we don't remember seeing each other or anything. Also one of them had blood on his shirt and has no idea why. Thank you Andrew WK.

I literally don't remember going.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 17, 2010

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Eeek posted:

Depends on the 70-200, though.

Putting a 1.4x II on a 70-200 IS 2.8 doesn't look too good in most situations, but putting it on the newer 70-200 IS 2.8 II looks amazing, makes a world of difference.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I have a class 12 Hangover. Andrew WK and the most interesting show in the world.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157625184875472/with/5091035334/

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I'm just starting out with band photography in general. I shot a small music festival last week for a friend. Then one of the bands from the festival had me come shoot one of their gigs this weekend.

The only light source in the room was a big green neon sign behind them and I ended up relying entirely on one 580ex2 sitting on a table facing the wall at an angle about 10 feet behind where I was standing. I was a little disappointed with how dark the place was. I was hoping to not need a flash. I'm hoping I can get some more work at venues with decent lighting soon. So far it feels like bands are pretty easy to network with. Definitely a nice break from weddings.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

EDIT: ^^^ I like the faces you got from those guys. The bassist looks like he crafts his hair to look like Ricky from the Trailer Park Boys.

dunkman posted:

I have a class 12 Hangover. Andrew WK and the most interesting show in the world.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunx17/sets/72157625184875472/with/5091035334/

You got some really fantastic stuff, especially for not remembering any of it. That one with the confetti (or water, maybe? I can't tell) is amazing.

I shot my first big concert last night, Coheed and Cambria. The staff was very friendly and helpful and I had a blast even though I was super-nervous before the show. I've got a pass for Crystal Method next month, too, and I can't wait. I see why everyone here like shooting concerts so much!

First opener was a local indie artist, I didn't catch his name. :(

Second opener was Wild Orchid Children from Seattle. I liked 'em.

And then there was Coheed.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 18, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I shot Big D and The Kids Table last week and it was pretty nuts.

IMG_1412 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I used flash on these. Fired it at the ceiling at half power to bounce it

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

pr0digal posted:

I shot Big D and The Kids Table last week and it was pretty nuts.

IMG_1412 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I used flash on these. Fired it at the ceiling at half power to bounce it

It looks like they were playing in an office building break room. Is that a bar?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, I hope Andrew WK brings that show with him when he tours Australia next year.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope Andrew WK brings that show with him when he tours Australia next year.

I just got my confirmation that I'm being put in the pit at BDO (pending promoter confirm) so I hope to fricking gosh hey does. And hopefully not clash with Iggy Pop or LCD Soundsystem because I WILL KILL

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

I, Butthole posted:

I just got my confirmation that I'm being put in the pit at BDO (pending promoter confirm) so I hope to fricking gosh hey does. And hopefully not clash with Iggy Pop or LCD Soundsystem because I WILL KILL

I highly doubt it, it's a free show put on by Dos Equis (the beer people). Andrew WK is just "hosting" this tour. He sang 3 songs, but his band did all of the music for the rest of it.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

CaptainViolence posted:

It looks like they were playing in an office building break room. Is that a bar?

Basement of my college's campus center. It was pretty tight.

Speaking of tight spaces I shot a couple of local bands in a basement. This is Aviator, similar sound to La Dispute/Touche Amore

Aviator by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 19, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Just shot Coheed and Cambria tonight. Much like CaptainViolence has probably already found out, it's almost impossible to get a shot of the lead singer's face until later in the set when he ties it back for some acoustic action but by then you're long gone from the pit. Good thing I had my 80-200.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

Who do you shoot for?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
FL and AUReview, being put forward to BDO for AUReview. Also doing Harborlife, Soundwave and SXSW for AU, FasterLouder I'm doing Good Vibes and No Sleep Til. All Brisbane/Gold Coast.

Just sent out a wave of emails looking for work in the print media rather than just online. Gotta expand!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Wow, I've never heard of AUReview before. I lost interest in FL as well, it's very cliquey in Sydney and I couldn't be bothered kissing butt to get better gigs.

I just realised I haven't shot a gig since May. Woe is me :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Wow, I've never heard of AUReview before. I lost interest in FL as well, it's very cliquey in Sydney and I couldn't be bothered kissing butt to get better gigs.

I just realised I haven't shot a gig since May. Woe is me :(

Come to Brisbane, FL is pretty chill up here. There's a few shooters who are in tight with the main honchos in Sydney so they shoot very little besides the festivals and big names when they want them (oh hey, haven't shot a thing since Jan? Yeah I'll shoot Paramore thanks bye gently caress you) but mainly there's a pretty even spread.

TheAUreview is pretty rad, Larry (who owns it) is a chill guy and rad all around. Ping him an email, tell him Andrew from Brisbane sent you! There's also a Sydney shooter down there who's a rad guy, Johnny Au.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

pr0digal posted:

Basement of my college's campus center. It was pretty tight.
That's awesome. I love your stuff for that very close-in feel you always seem to have. Everything always seems like a huge explosion in a tiny space.

HPL posted:

Just shot Coheed and Cambria tonight. Much like CaptainViolence has probably already found out, it's almost impossible to get a shot of the lead singer's face until later in the set when he ties it back for some acoustic action but by then you're long gone from the pit. Good thing I had my 80-200.
Yeah, I actually managed to get a couple while he was whipping his head around, but I wasn't getting enough light for a decent shutter speed (also I was kind of a chicken about ISO and underexposing too much, but you live, you learn) so most of them didn't turn out. This one is basically the best one of his face I had:

Otherwise it was mostly like this (although I kinda like it):

I'd love to see what you got, it'd be nice to compare my amateur-time stuff to somebody with more experience and see what I can improve on.

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 19, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

CaptainViolence posted:

I'd love to see what you got, it'd be nice to compare my amateur-time stuff to somebody with more experience and see what I can improve on.

I was shooting for a magazine, so I'll post the link when it goes up. I ran things on the bleeding edge for ISO (3200 on a Canon 40D, not the best thing in the world) so the photos aren't nearly as clean and clear as I'd like.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I love basement shows even when the crowd gets so crazy I have to retreat into a corner.

Band is Aviator

IMG_1840 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Positive Housemouse
Jun 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Had a chance to shoot Wobblesauce, and thoughts are appreciated.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Positive Housemouse posted:

Had a chance to shoot Wobblesauce, and thoughts are appreciated.

Is that the best you got from the show?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Crosspost from SAD, I wouldn't mind some feedback. Your suggestions from earlier in week helped out, HPL.

Nashville Pussy

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 24, 2010

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Shot the first stop on the Defeater/Make Do and Mend tour. It was pretty awesome

Defeater by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Here's another crazy idea: Has anyone ever thought to cold-call the guitar/amp/drum companies that sponsor bands and offer them shots for advertising purposes? I'm not sure if the bands normally provide them, or if the company would be willing to shell out a few bucks for a few good shots. I would think for the right price you could probably sell a few somewhere, especially if you're like Rock City and have shot nearly every band ever and worked out some kind of a packaged deal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You'd need a release for that.

shykid10
May 4, 2009
Has anyone ever shot the band Atreyu? I'm going to be back east next week and Atreyu will be in town. I'd love to shot them but can't find any contact information about them. Their label is Hollywood Records but there is no email info on the label. Any help with finding a direction to move in would be awesome!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Finally got my photos from the first stop of the Defeater/Make Do and Mend tour online.

IMG_2862 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

All the photos can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157625126166719/

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

pr0digal posted:

Defeater

I just discovered them on Pandora the other day. 'Cowardice' is some good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Anti_Social posted:

I just discovered them on Pandora the other day. 'Cowardice' is some good stuff.

Easily one of my favorite hardcore bands. Their CD Lost Ground is great.

IMG_2834 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr