Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Casimir Radon posted:

The X-Wing and Tie Fighter series' agree :colbert:

Rogue Squadron, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I saw Abyss in the Local Library, I was tempted to rent it out for the week and read it but I read the blurb on the inside jacket where it gave away 2/3rds of the plot in a paragraph causing my eyes to glaze over but then I saw that Troy Denning wrote it so I stuck the drat thing back.

I wish the current post OT EU was drat appealing now but it such a boring mess. This was the one where they revealed Force Cthulu right?

And when did books start telling us half the story on the inside jacket and back?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Abyss is the third book right? I think that's the one with mind drinkers and shadow walking or whatever it's called. Was very bored with this book, I hated the luke/ben story and the coruscant part was only mildly entertaining. The only awesome part was at the end when Luke kills vestara's master.

Also, one thing that bothers me about this series: Are Luke and Ben ever going to use the things they've learned? I understand if Ben doesn't use flow walking, but jesus christ Luke has the ability to teleport organic things. I feel like he could have used that more than a few times already, and it hasn't even been spoken of since.

As it stands currently, The Luke/Ben story is kinda starting to bore, but I'm really interested in what's going to happen with the jedi temple on coruscant in the next book.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

According to the old Essential Guide to Vehicles they're the deflector shield generators. The communication tower is the bar between them in the center of the command tower.

This is one of the spergier arguments that I've personally gotten into, but it basically just comes down to the fact that people misinterpreted the original scene. The globes on the top of the Star Destroyer's bridge were originally meant to be radomes like those on the top of the bridges of modern-day warships. Even the model makers and production designers referred to them as such. The problem arises during the scene where immediately following the destruction of one of the radomes, an Imperial bridge officer exclaims "The bridge deflector shields are down!" The original intent was that the radomes were vulnerable because the deflector shields were down, not because they themselves WERE the deflector shields. After all, the shields were weakened by the entire Rebel fleet opening up on the Super Star Destroyer, and so once the small fighters started taking out the more fragile pieces of their ship, the Imperials would realize the shields were down. Plus it's retarded that the shield generators wouldn't be protected by the shield they're generating.

Like I said, though, the scene was misinterpreted as to meaning that destroying the globes takes down the shields. So it appeared in video games as a way for tiny fighters to take out the massive destroyer, and it appeared in reference books and technical manuals and novels and etc. etc. until now it's pretty much canon that the radomes are actually shield generators.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

edit: Again, because they weren't originally supposed to be shield generators, but instead radar/sensor globes, which would make sense to place all over your ship.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 19, 2010

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

In regards to the shield generators, how come the Star Destroyers shield generators we exposed at almost all angles, but you can't find them easily on Mon Calamari ships? I remember them being noted as not as heavily armed, but being more shielded than their Imperial counterparts.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I guess aliens are smart enough to put their shields and command centers inside their ships instead of sitting out there in the open for everyone to shoot at.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So I'm reading a blog unrelated to SW and the author added this quote:

George Lucas posted:

“You simply have to put one foot in front of the other and keep going. Put blinders on and plow right ahead.”

That explains so much.

In case anyone cares, the link is http://thoughtcatalog.com/2010/recorded-live-before-a-paid-studio-audience/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You know, now that I'm thinking about it, it might actually be a neat concept for a SW-esque sci-fi universe to require that shield generators can never be inside a shield. That'd basically define naval tactics for that universe. Of course, it'd have to be a universal thing for it to work, but authors could have all sorts of spergy fun devising tactics and counter-tactics.

Back in Star Wars, I'm of the opinion that the things on Star Destroyers are "really" scanner globes, and not shield generators. They were made into shield generators purely as a videogame contrivance, to give the player characters half a chance. Sort of like how in TIE Fighter you'd have to take six or seven direct hits before your own TIE would be destroyed, whereas in the movies I don't think we ever saw one survive even a glancing blow.

Of course, we also saw plenty of X-Wings and Y-wings blow up from one hit, so make of that what you will..

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

Of course, we also saw plenty of X-Wings and Y-wings blow up from one hit, so make of that what you will..

The implication in the movies for the trench run is that the X and Y wings had their shields on full forward to protect from the turbo lasers in the trench.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Weren't the tracking mechanisms on the Death Star based batteries to slow to hit the X wings anyway?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The turbolasers were fast enough to hit Porkins.

(INSERT FAT JOKE HERE)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Not Star Wars but George Lucas related: I watched THX1138 the other day. It loving sucked. Lucas loving sucks.

Edit for Star Wars:

quote:

Yeah, but as the main protagonist in a video game, you're just like luke; get a glancing blow on your engine and have R-2 take care of it.

DarthJon
Apr 22, 2006
Is there a reliable timeline for the episodes in The Clone Wars?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

DarthJon posted:

Is there a reliable timeline for the episodes in The Clone Wars?

Not in the least. Lucasfilm has said they aren't even going to think about it until the series is over, which can only result in the whole thing coming out as a barely coherent mess.

I know, big surprise, right?

http://www.darkhorse.com/Help/Boards/viewtopic.php?t=13886&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=101

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The2ndQuest on TFN has been making an updated potential timeline for the series after the new episodes air. Putting them in the order which makes the most sense based on episode content and some other outside SW sources:

(story arc titles are unofficial designations)
(Production ###/Airing ###)
Christophsis Arc
-217/216: Cat and Mouse
-201/116: The Hidden Enemy
-118/TCW: The New Padawan
-101/TCW: Castle of Doom
-103/TCW: Castle of Deception
-104/TCW: Castle of Salvation
Ambush Duology
-224/303: Supply Lines
-108/101: Ambush
Droid Duology
-102/106: Downfall of a Droid
-106/107: Duel of the Droids
Malevolence Trilogy
-107/102: Rising Malevolence
-109/103: Shadow of Malevolence
-111/104: Destroy Malevolence
Nute Trilogy
-105/108: Bombad Jedi
-110/109: Cloak of Darkness
-112/110: Lair of Grievous
Clone Trilogy
-301/301: Clone Cadets
-114/105: Rookies
-302/302: ARC Troopers*
Dooku Duology
-116/111: Dooku Captured
-120/112: The Gungan General
Ryloth Trilogy
-115/119: Storm Over Ryloth
-117/120: Innocents of Ryloth
-119/121: Liberty on Ryloth
Maridun Duology
-122/113: Jedi Crash
-124/114: Defenders of Peace
Virus Duology
-126/117: Blue Shadow Virus
-202/118: Mystery of a Thousand Moons
Stand Alone
-125/115: Trespass
Holocron Arc
-219/217: Bounty Hunters
-204/122: Hostage Crisis
-123/201: Holocron Heist
-113/202: Cargo of Doom
-203/203: Children of the Force
Geonosis Arc
-205/204: Senate Spy
-207/205: Landing at Point Rain
-208/206: Weapons Factory
-209/207: Legacy of Terror
-212/208: Brain Invaders
Saleucami Arc
-211/211: Lightsaber Lost
-214/209: Grievous Intrigue
-206/210: The Deserter
Mandalorian Trilogy
-213/212: The Mandalore Plot
-121/213: Voyage of Temptation
-216/214: Duchess of Mandalore
Stand Alones
-225/304: Sphere of Influence
-210/215: Senate Murders
Zillo Duology
-222/218: The Zillo Beast
-223/219: The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
Boba Fett Trilogy
-215/220: Death Trap
-218/221: R2 Come Home
-220/222: Lethal Trackdown
Corruption Duology
-304/305: Corruption
-226/306: The Academy

*takes place at an undefined time afterwards

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Not Star Wars but George Lucas related: I watched THX1138 the other day. It loving sucked. Lucas loving sucks.
I watched the special edition a few years ago and all the changes seemed subtle enough that there was no reason to bitch about them?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Casimir Radon posted:

I watched the special edition a few years ago and all the changes seemed subtle enough that there was no reason to bitch about them?

I'm talking about the movie itself. I fell asleep three times.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Star Wars: Infinities

So people have read these, right? They weren't written very well, but the concepts had potential.

I wonder why prequel versions were never made? They are full of more material like that.

Episode 1: What if Obi-Wan died and Qui-Gon lived?
Episode 2: What if it didn't suck?
Episode 3: Pretty much every event going a different way would change the SW universe, from Yoda dying to Anakin winning to Palpatine losing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have ANH and empire infinites, but I don't remember what the "what if" for the ROTJ one was.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I wonder why prequel versions were never made? They are full of more material like that.

Episode 3: Pretty much every event going a different way would change the SW universe, from Yoda dying to Anakin winning to Palpatine losing.

See the one labeled "What if it Didn't Suck" this would be a great reason not to publish an Infinities anthology for the prequel trilogy. If the original material disappoints core fans, its probably not best to give them a taste of what could have been.

On the other hand, I would love a "What if Anakin Skywalker became an Intergalactic Pod-Racing Champion?"

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I guess aliens are smart enough to put their shields and command centers inside their ships instead of sitting out there in the open for everyone to shoot at.

Which is why a brainwashed A-Wing pilot blew the poo poo out of the bridge in one of the Wraith Squadron books? :raise:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Star Wars: Infinities

So people have read these, right? They weren't written very well, but the concepts had potential.

There actually was a "What If Anakin Won" scenario in the RotS video game. The answer is "he kills Palpatine and takes over."

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

Which is why a brainwashed A-Wing pilot blew the poo poo out of the bridge in one of the Wraith Squadron books? :raise:

Revised: They don't put them on big ol' towers for everyone to shoot at.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Sometimes they do.

Granted there are more than one and only one of them is the actual bridge, but it's still sticking out there like a sore thumb, and I'm pretty sure it's the biggest and most obvious one.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

Torael_7 posted:

I thought this was because the shields of the ship in question were'nt up at this point, especially since they were in the middle of nowhere (effectively) and had just launched a bunch of their own fighters. We're talking about Solo Command, yeah? That book was fantastic! :)

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Sometimes they do.

Granted there are more than one and only one of them is the actual bridge, but it's still sticking out there like a sore thumb, and I'm pretty sure it's the biggest and most obvious one.

...I've had it with all these Star Wars.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Not A Bear posted:

I thought this was because the shields of the ship in question were'nt up at this point, especially since they were in the middle of nowhere (effectively) and had just launched a bunch of their own fighters. We're talking about Solo Command, yeah? That book was fantastic! :)

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Revised: They don't put them on big ol' towers for everyone to shoot at.

I was actually referring to command centers specifically. Courtship of Princess Leia talks about how great the view from the bridge is in the first few pages, too.

Otterspace
Jul 13, 2006

This is not a good idea.
The notion that the globes are communication towers and not shield generators flies in the face of 30 years of star wars knowledge. Can you find evidence that says they were meant to be communications towers?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
It's always been my understanding that the domes were communication equipment, and their being destroyed was intended to show that the shields were down because missile weapons were now impacting the ship's structure.

Of course, all the games used them as shield generators to make space combat possible.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Aw, how nice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Otterspace posted:

The notion that the globes are communication towers and not shield generators flies in the face of 30 years of star wars knowledge. Can you find evidence that says they were meant to be communications towers?

Somebody noticed that fans were arguing about this, so they decided to canonically make the globes be both shield generators AND sensors! That'll please everyone, right?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/ISD-72x_deflector_shield_generator_dome

Unrelated: What the hell happened to wookieepedia's page layout? Suddenly it's all retarded.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Otterspace posted:

Here's the other side of the argument. It's important to note that they're not supposed to be communication towers, but radar domes.

quote:

We're also still working on the sequence where Mad Max crashes his A-wing into Vader's ship and causes the star destroyer to lose control and crash into the Deathstar. The penetration shot with the mushroom-cloud explosion we've had for some time, and we've got the shot where the ship's been hit and is starting to heel over. A very large explosion is coming out of the bridge area and it's causing several others to go as well; and one of the big radar domes up on top has been blown away, and that's spewing flames. It's pretty spectacular. Between that sort of closeup of the bridge section and the long-shot of the surface, we need two more cuts of the ship continuing to heel over and dropping towards the Deathstar like an arrow. We've shot a number of elements on those - explosions and things that have to be projected onto the miniatures - and so they're pretty much ready to go. Don Dow will be shooting those tomorrow.

CINEFEX #13, p.55, 3 February 1983
— Richard Edlund (who shared ILM's 1983 Academy Award for ROTJ special effects).

The original intent was that they were supposed to be radomes. It's just that now, yeah, canonically speaking they're both. Which is retarded. Why would your shield generators not be protected by your shields? Why would you place them in such a way that would make them highly vulnerable. Sensor globes just make more sense.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Unrelated: What the hell happened to wookieepedia's page layout? Suddenly it's all retarded.
All of Wikia got hosed up. I was looking in The Vault for something and kept reloading because I thought there was some sort of transmission error.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
40 Star Wars Stories That Should Be Movies
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40-star-wars-stories-that-should-be-movies

No one is going to like #38

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bonzo posted:

Good God, I'm only up to #3, and they've all been bad ideas so far.

edit: Although, I would see #4.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bonzo posted:

The Great Heap? Of all things the Great loving Heap?

This list is loving terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That list really is the worst. They basically just listed every Star Wars EU story they had heard of, and when they couldn't think of all of them, they started using fan vids. Just terrible.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I counted three on that list that I'd actually like to see movies of: 11 (Jedi Twilight), 20 (Republic Commando; the Xbox version, not the KT version), and 23 (Rogue Squadron). The rest just boggle the mind, aside from maybe Dark Forces.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I especially like how several items on the "ought to be movies" list are movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Of that list, the only one that I could really see actually being made and working as a good Star Wars movie is Heir to the Empire. I don't think that an EU work has to be in the mold of a movie for it to be good, but I just think that the structure and tone of the Thrawn Trilogy were one of the few EU works that really felt like I was reading/watching a Star Wars movie. It also might have something to do with the fact that it was essentially a blank slate working entirely off of the movies rather than modern EU works which are basically just giant Wookieepedia entries relating to other works.

(Yes, I know Zahn included stuff from the WEG games which in turn used stuff from Marvel and the Han Solo books, but still)