Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

builds character posted:

also, from above the law. I assume folks have seen this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

i hope an asteroid hits your dilapidated house in a bad section of town

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

builds character posted:

also, from above the law. I assume folks have seen this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE
I do not like my blackberry. I would like to torture it until it begs me to kill it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Today, in celebration of his birthday and the tendency to use banana as a nonsense word in a list, my torts professor took an offered banana costume and taught in it.

My law school career has peaked early.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
1) Texas bar results come out in 17 days. I had a dream last night that I had to write 12 essays on maritime law of the Faroe Islands in half an hour.

2) Apparently my law school took their largest 1L class EVER this year. This after spending three years telling my class that the reason they jacked up tuition was in order to accept fewer, more qualified people. My favorite professor, who I talk to pretty frequently, told me that it was a direct order from the leadership of the university to the law school admin to take as many warm bodies as they could, because the university is addicted to all that sweet law school loan money.

3) I have a job, and it's kicking my rear end, which I'm happy about, because it beats the alternative. It's a good job, it pays pretty well, and I enjoy experiencing different practice areas. My group of friends from school, though, don't have jobs, and have basically given up looking anything until after results come out, and spend all of their time partying. I am clearly in the better position, but I admit that it's hard when I come home after a 12 hour day and my friends are posting Facebook pics of them having a great time.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
One of my classmates told me last night about his meth habit.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miwSljJAzqg&t=169s

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

:shepicide:

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion" do right wingers not understand? For gently caress's sake!

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

qwertyman posted:

What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion" do right wingers not understand? For gently caress's sake!

Bu- bu- bu- bu- bu- but mah' Bible!

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

qwertyman posted:

Her point is that, contrary to popular belief, the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

hahaha I love her cheeky grin at the audience as she totally misinterprets their laughter

jesus loving christ

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Wyatt posted:

Her point is that, contrary to popular belief, the phrase "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution.

That is true, but she exposed her ignorance of the Constitution seconds later by saying that she did not know what the 14th and 16th Amendments were.

Also, Coons did not say that "separation of church and state" was in the Constitution, he said it was one of our country's most important principles. Her separation of church and state comment was in furtherance of her argument in favor of teaching creationism in local public schools, which has been repeatedly held to violate the First Amendment.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

qwertyman posted:

That is true, but she exposed her ignorance of the Constitution seconds later by saying that she did not know what the 14th and 16th Amendments were.

Also, Coons did not say that "separation of church and state" was in the Constitution, he said it was one of our country's most important principles. Her separation of church and state comment was in furtherance of her argument in favor of teaching creationism in local public schools, which has been repeatedly held to violate the First Amendment.

Yeah, I'm not saying it was a good zinger on her part. It's the kind of pedantic nonsense that people rely on in these sorts of arguments. But a lot of people really aren't aware of where that phrase does (and does not) appear. I suspect some of the gut-laughers in the audience fall into that camp.

Incidentally, it's really embarrassing for any politician to not know what the 14th Amendment is. The 16th I might give someone a break on, but not someone who talks about tax reform as much as she does.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Wyatt posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying it was a good zinger on her part. It's the kind of pedantic nonsense that people rely on in these sorts of arguments. But a lot of people really aren't aware of where that phrase does (and does not) appear. I suspect some of the gut-laughers in the audience fall into that camp.

Incidentally, it's really embarrassing for any politician to not know what the 14th Amendment is. The 16th I might give someone a break on, but not someone who talks about tax reform as much as she does.

It's definitely possible that some of the laughers there think the First Amendment literally says "separation of church and state." I myself would probably have laughed at her statement too, because it's such nonsense, and the Supreme Court has adopted the "separation of church and state" language for decades - and the phrase itself goes back to Jefferson. Seriously, she may be technically right when she says that it's not IN the Constitution, but it reveals a greater ignorance that should be an automatic disqualifier for office.

Incidentally, check out the 7:00 mark in the video.

O: "Let me just clarify...you're telling me that the separation of church and state is found in the first amendment?"

C: "The government shall make no establishment of religion."

O: "That's in the first amendment?"

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

qwertyman posted:

It's definitely possible that some of the laughers there think the First Amendment literally says "separation of church and state." I myself would probably have laughed at her statement too, because it's such nonsense, and the Supreme Court has adopted the "separation of church and state" language for decades - and the phrase itself goes back to Jefferson. Seriously, she may be technically right when she says that it's not IN the Constitution, but it reveals a greater ignorance that should be an automatic disqualifier for office.

O: "Let me just clarify...you're telling me that the separation of church and state is found in the first amendment?"

I love when people in the GOP thread see something like this coming from a politician, or make a hypothetical "what if [horrible consequence of GOP's actions]" and then ask "Will this finally make right wingers understand?"

Because the answer is always No. It won't. 100 years of precedent and they still don't.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Haha this fuckin owns

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

qwertyman posted:

Edit: After watching it a few times, I really can't tell if she just has no idea, or if she is really holding his feet to the fire over what the text actually says (which he never gets quite right).

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 20, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yes but what the MSM doesn't want you to know is that later in the debate, she asked Coons to name the 5 freedoms in the First Anendment and he couldn't name them. well, actually he seemed tired of her constant interruptions and badgering and told her to let the moderators ask the questions, but still. It is COONS who doesn't know the constitution! Lamestream media!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

here's a paraphrase of the exchange

coons: "schools should be teaching broadly accepted scientific fact, not religious doctrine." (literally true, see, e.g., edwards v. aguillard)

o'donnell: "well you've just proved how little you know about constitutional law. if local school districts want to give equal time to intelligent design, it is their right. the supreme court has always said it is up to the local community to decide which standard to teach. (literally false, see id.) this is just an example of why our country is in the lovely state it's in, because we've moved away from the indispensable principles of our founding."

coons: "one of those indispensable principles is the separation of church and state."

o'donnell: "where in the constitution is the separation of church and state?" (does not know difference between text of constitution and universally accepted canons of constitutional interpretation) (is a retard)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yes but what the MSM doesn't want you to know is that later in the debate, she asked Coons to name the 5 freedoms in the First Anendment and he couldn't name them. well, actually he seemed tired of her constant interruptions and badgering and told her to let the moderators ask the questions, but still. It is COONS who doesn't know the constitution! Lamestream media!
I don't believe the LIEbral media.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:chord:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Welp, my boss, a county attorney, lost the primaries in August. My boss gets a job and leaves, and I found out last week that the county commission was going to probably vote in the victor of the primary today and he could let everyone go.

Today, the county commission installs the guy who won the primary as the new county attorney. He comes in today and fires me on the spot first thing. I called yesterday to ask if he was going to fire me and left a message, but he never called back.

To top it all off, I drove 12 hours last week round trip to a job interview. I think I interviewed alright, but at least it gave me a little hope for the future. They ended up hiring my co-worker within 2 hours of his applying this morning and all he had to do was a phone interview. They haven't told me yet that I didn't get the job, but they told him I didn't have enough experience. I found that out today at noon, then got fired right after.

:suicide:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 19, 2010

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I thought it was funny that she didn't know what the 14th and 16th amendments were when someone asked whether she favored repealing them. And then I realized I didn't know what the hell the 16th amendment was. And I'm in law school. And I'm in Tax.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

builds character posted:

I want a vote to change the text for :chord: to :moscowitz:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Defleshed posted:

I want a vote to change the text for :chord: to :moscowitz:

a million times yes

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

builds character posted:

Very ballsy coming from somebody who didn't know ANYTHING about the 14th Amendment. I could theoretically understand somebody getting a few of the numbers mixed up (18 = prohibition, 19 = suffrage), but the 14th is actually a political issue! Republican senators have publicly called for its repeal, and it really does matter whether she knows a thing about it!

O'Donnell is one of the leading proponents of the arrogant ignorance movement that we've been seeing throughout the Tea Party protests.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Torpor posted:

Welp, my boss, a county attorney, lost the primaries in August. My boss gets a job and leaves, and I found out last week that the county commission was going to probably vote in the victor of the primary today and he could let everyone go.

Today, the county commission installs the guy who won the primary as the new county attorney. He comes in today and fires me on the spot first thing. I called yesterday to ask if he was going to fire me and left a message, but he never called back.

To top it all off, I drove 12 hours last week round trip to a job interview. I think I interviewed alright, but at least it gave me a little hope for the future. They ended up hiring my co-worker within 2 hours of his applying this morning and all he had to do was a phone interview. They haven't told me yet that I didn't get the job, but they told him I didn't have enough experience. I found that out today at noon, then got fired right after.

:suicide:
What the hell why would he immediately fire everyone? Is he going to do all the work in the office himself?

edit: oh you said he only fired you. Why did he immediately fire you? Please tell me he ran on a tea party platform and you refused to donate to his campaign.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 20, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

builds character posted:

Yeah...

but, congrats Ainsley!

Well, I didn't really do anything to earn it honestly - a friend of mine who works at the company suggested me for the project and they hired me without an interview or even asking for my resume(not as risky as it sounds, I firmly believe that with enough training a second grader could do this job satisfactorily but I'm still not complaining because it's stress-free) so all I did really was have an awesome friend.

quote:

Have you ever agreed to mediation only to find out that opposing counsel planned it to serve process on your client after trapping him in the bathroom at wendy's

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

qwertyman posted:

I myself would probably have laughed at her statement too, because it's such nonsense, and the Supreme Court has adopted the "separation of church and state" language for decades

And where in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court defines the meaning of the Constitution?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Nonprofit sector update: New York Legal Assistance Group just hired a lawyer. They had over 600 applications for the job.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Draile posted:

Nonprofit sector update: New York Legal Assistance Group just hired a lawyer. They had over 600 applications for the job.

You're not making me feel good about sending out my latest round of articling applications.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Shang Yang posted:

And where in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court defines the meaning of the Constitution?

It can be found in Article III, Section 1:

"The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish."

Judicial power is the settling of disputes and granting of remedies when one party suffers an injury by another. That is the essence of a disagreement over interpretation of the Constitution, treaties, federal laws, or anything else over which the Supreme Court has jurisdiction. When laws are contradictory, the Court determines the operation of them. And what is the Constitution but the most basic law of the United States?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Draile posted:

I have heavy nepotism connections to NYLAG, summered there once and know almost everyone including the person that likely signed off on that hire if they went into immigration. The year I summered was a recession special and was the first year they got any t14 resumes at all to speak of. This year, I'd be shocked if they got less t14 apps than the number of total apps when I was there.

Oh yeah, they've laid people off in the last couple of years, too.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Shang Yang posted:

Yeah overturn Marbury v. Madison that poo poo was bullshit

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

J Miracle posted:

Yeah overturn Marbury v. Madison that poo poo was bullshit

fuggin activist judges an poo poo

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

This owns so loving much. "What is fascinating is that you will be one of these poor people" "Do you move your lips when you read? Science cleared that guy. It was a lawyer that put his rear end in prison"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Torpor posted:

why_government_lawyers_need_unions.txt

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Shang Yang posted:

ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Shang Yang posted:

1L gunner spotted