Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wrote a bunch of stored procedures for SQL Server 2008 that relied on user-defined table types to pass tables to stored procedures.

The code now needs to be ported to SQL Server 2005, which does not have user-defined table types. After a lot of googling and a lot of :emo: it looks like the best way to change the user-defined table type parameters to XML parameters.

I am trying to find a guide to extracting data from an XML parameter that does not suck. Every example I've found is either going the wrong way, or was written to a trivial XML scheme that really can't represent a table (i.e. assumes a static number of rows, etc.)

About the best way to do this though, ideally there is a trivial way to take the xml representation of a C# ADO Datatable, and some procedure in SQL Server 2005 that can interpret that xml and reconstruct the table.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Has anyone written a basic gambling game with user accounts and database results/records that they'd want to share. I'm playing with a gambling idea on some forums I chat on. It's not real life money so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Veskit posted:

OK ONE LAST THING. I'm getting redundant information in the available column, so how do I get it to exclude all results as available if it already has a serial number in the unavailable column?

I don't think I understand the question. Can you post some sample data and what you want it to look like ideally?

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chuu posted:

I wrote a bunch of stored procedures for SQL Server 2008 that relied on user-defined table types to pass tables to stored procedures.

The code now needs to be ported to SQL Server 2005, which does not have user-defined table types. After a lot of googling and a lot of :emo: it looks like the best way to change the user-defined table type parameters to XML parameters.

I am trying to find a guide to extracting data from an XML parameter that does not suck. Every example I've found is either going the wrong way, or was written to a trivial XML scheme that really can't represent a table (i.e. assumes a static number of rows, etc.)

About the best way to do this though, ideally there is a trivial way to take the xml representation of a C# ADO Datatable, and some procedure in SQL Server 2005 that can interpret that xml and reconstruct the table.

Erland Sommerskog's article on the pros and cons of various ways of passing TVP-type data in SQL Server 2005: http://www.sommarskog.se/arrays-in-sql-2005.html, including using XML and other ways of passing in table-like data to stored procedures or functions.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I had to add a new UID column to all my existing tables, so basically a Varchar(36) in a MySQL database.

No problems there, but I need to generate values for all the existing rows (the app will handle it for new rows). I tried to run this query:

update some_table set uid = uuid();

Which seemed to work, but in fact it generated just one uid and set all the rows equal to that. How can I force this method to generate a new value for every row? Or can I do it with a different query? There are too many rows to do it manually.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

FateFree posted:

I had to add a new UID column to all my existing tables, so basically a Varchar(36) in a MySQL database.

No problems there, but I need to generate values for all the existing rows (the app will handle it for new rows). I tried to run this query:

Which seemed to work, but in fact it generated just one uid and set all the rows equal to that. How can I force this method to generate a new value for every row? Or can I do it with a different query? There are too many rows to do it manually.

Ah well you could select insert into a new table with auto generate uids turned on and then update back to the original table.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Sprawl posted:

Ah well you could select insert into a new table with auto generate uids turned on and then update back to the original table.

That might work but it would take forever with all these tables. Im hoping someone knows some clever way.

Unless there is a query that could duplicate a table somehow?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Well im an idiot the values were unique after all. They just looked startingly similar at first glance.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Out of morbid curiosity, are you using that UUID as a primary key, and are you also using InnoDB?

If so, you should be aware that InnoDB stores rows on disk in the order of the primary key. Other databases call this a "clustered index." UUIDs are not guaranteed to be anything near sequential, so you may encounter a performance hit when entering new rows if things need to be shuffled around.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Also, you described it as "basically a Varchar(36)..." Looking up UUIDs it looks like they're unvarying in length, so a CHAR(36) would presumably be better.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

McGlockenshire posted:

Out of morbid curiosity, are you using that UUID as a primary key, and are you also using InnoDB?

If so, you should be aware that InnoDB stores rows on disk in the order of the primary key. Other databases call this a "clustered index." UUIDs are not guaranteed to be anything near sequential, so you may encounter a performance hit when entering new rows if things need to be shuffled around.

Actually im doing a hybrid approach where im using an autogenerated id as the primary key, and the uid as just a unique value for every row. This lets me have a unified hashcode/equals method thats safe to work with hibernate collections.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Knightmare posted:

In Oracle, you can prompt for values with the following code:

code:
accept myValue char prompt 'Enter your value: ';
Is this possible in Postgres at all?

Anyone know about this? I'm guessing it's not possible due to not being able to find anything about it, but I'd settle for even a semi-complex workaround.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Knightmare posted:

Anyone know about this? I'm guessing it's not possible due to not being able to find anything about it, but I'd settle for even a semi-complex workaround.

This is the closest i could find.

http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/8.3R2/oracompat/EnterpriseDB_OraCompat_8.3-226.htm

quote:

11.1.2 Command Summary
This section contains a summary of EDB*Plus commands.

11.1.2.1 ACCEPT
The ACCEPT command displays a prompt and waits for the user’s keyboard input. The value input by the user is placed in the specified variable.

ACC[EPT ] variable
The following example creates a new variable named my_name, accepts a value of John Smith, then displays the value using the DEFINE command.

SQL> ACCEPT my_name
Enter value for my_name: John Smith
SQL> DEFINE my_name
DEFINE MY_NAME = "John Smith"

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Hammerite posted:

Also, you described it as "basically a Varchar(36)..." Looking up UUIDs it looks like they're unvarying in length, so a CHAR(36) would presumably be better.

I was about to say "except when MySQL decides that your CHAR should be a VARCHAR because it's loving retarded and knows better than you", but I couldn't make it do that in 5.1. When did they fix this, it makes me happy.

e: They fixed that in 5.0. Amazing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FateFree posted:

This might seem like an odd question, but why did you choose Char/VarChar instead of Int if the IDs are all synthetic anyway? The impression I always got was int was better for indexing, searching, etc. anyway.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

This might seem like an odd question, but why did you choose Char/VarChar instead of Int if the IDs are all synthetic anyway? The impression I always got was int was better for indexing, searching, etc. anyway.

Well like I mentioned the primary key is still an auto generated int id, thats what I use for all searching and joining and such. This uid is really only used as a reliable hashcode value since it can be generated when a new object is created. I should have made it a char instead of varchar however.

Dsan
Nov 24, 2009
I wanna do this:
code:
mysql_query("UPDATE variable SET value = 's:1:"0";'
WHERE value = 's:1:"1";' AND name = 'site_offline'");
but ofc. I get an error because of the " "

what is the work around here ?
It is how it stands in the database

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dsan posted:

I wanna do this:
code:
mysql_query("UPDATE variable SET value = 's:1:"0";'
WHERE value = 's:1:"1";' AND name = 'site_offline'");
but ofc. I get an error because of the " "

what is the work around here ?
It is how it stands in the database

You could add \ to the double quotes, or just use http://us2.php.net/mysql_real_escape_string.

Dsan
Nov 24, 2009
yeah, got it now. thanks

Now I just need drupal to come back to life on me XD

wtcurtis
Jun 13, 2003
I'm creating a site to track workouts, purely as an exercise to learn asp.net mvc. My problem relates to database design, though.

I want to allow comments on a number of different pages. For example, on a user profile page, on a page detailing a specific workout, on a page detailing body weight, whatever. Each of these pages is more or less coupled to a specific table in my database. However, I don't want to create a separate comment table for each type of page. I've solved this by creating a separate table containing only an id, and then a table containing the comments themselves. I then use a nullable foreign key in each table I want to associate comments with to the id table, and can then perform queries on the comments table itself with that id. Is this a stupid way to do this?

Edit: Only one table implemented like this here, but it should get the concept across.

wtcurtis fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 8, 2010

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand why you don't just have a page ID field in the comments table?

wtcurtis
Jun 13, 2003

baquerd posted:

I don't understand why you don't just have a page ID field in the comments table?

See, that's the first thing I thought of. But the problem I see there is that I have a number of different types of pages, each of which is related to a different table in the database. However, I want to simply store all the comments in one table, so there could be any number of comments in that table with non-unique page id fields (how could I tell the difference between, say, the user profile with id 5 and the lift session with id 5? Although I suppose I could just break down and use a uniqueidentifier instead of an int for the pk for all those tables...). That's why I went for the extra known-unique id table.

It's entirely possible I'm misunderstanding the problem, though.

Here's a more accurate example, with three different tables allowing comments.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wtcurtis posted:

See, that's the first thing I thought of. But the problem I see there is that I have a number of different types of pages, each of which is related to a different table in the database. However, I want to simply store all the comments in one table, so there could be any number of comments in that table with non-unique page id fields

Take a look at this comment table:
User ID
Page posted on
Post date
Comment text

Yes, it's not normalized and has a poor key for that, but as far as indexing is concerned it'll be speedy and light.

Here's how I'd select all comments for a page:
code:
SELECT user_id, comment_text FROM comments WHERE page_id = 5 ORDER BY post_date DESC

A very bad man
Mar 31, 2010
Is it poor practice to select from views within other views? Or can this be a good thing for code maintainability? I've come across it quiet a bit on my current project and I really can't find a good reason to do it. Any thoughts?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A very bad man posted:

Is it poor practice to select from views within other views? Or can this be a good thing for code maintainability? I've come across it quiet a bit on my current project and I really can't find a good reason to do it. Any thoughts?

Views can be indexed in advance.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

A very bad man posted:

In any even halfway decent SQL engine views are at worst essentially free. There's no reason not to use them where clarity calls for it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ShoulderDaemon posted:

In any even halfway decent SQL engine views are at worst essentially free. There's no reason not to use them where clarity calls for it.

But is he using a "halfway decent SQL engine"? MySQL for example apparently is very bad at optimising views and cannot index them either. See this post.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Hammerite posted:

But is he using a "halfway decent SQL engine"? MySQL for example apparently is very bad at optimising views and cannot index them either. See this post.

Frankly I'm of the opinion that people who use MySQL deserve what's coming to them.

Seriously, it's depressing but somehow not particularly shocking that MySQL manages to turn some queries involving views into something more difficult to execute than the result of simply inlining the definition of the view into the query. I'd rather advise people to change to a better free database than encourage them to code around such madness.

A very bad man
Mar 31, 2010

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Frankly I'm of the opinion that people who use MySQL deserve what's coming to them.

Seriously, it's depressing but somehow not particularly shocking that MySQL manages to turn some queries involving views into something more difficult to execute than the result of simply inlining the definition of the view into the query. I'd rather advise people to change to a better free database than encourage them to code around such madness.

I'm dealing with Oracle 11g.
I understand the views being selected by views X 4 are really no performance cost, but honestly it turns into a horrible mess.

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

ShoulderDaemon posted:

It's hard to know where to start in describing what's wrong with this statement.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

MoNsTeR posted:

It's hard to know where to start in describing what's wrong with this statement.

You can always take a query involving a view, and inline the definition of the view as a subselect. If your view doesn't involve aggregates or anything else fancy like that, you can simply add the conditions of the view to the conditions of the query with an AND. It's hard to imagine how this inlining could add significant cost to the execution plan for the query. If you write the same query twice, once using a view and once inlining the definition of the view, the view shouldn't ever be slower because it's still the same query. The view might be faster than the inlined form if, for example, your database engine lets you amortize some costs by materializing views or creating better indexes.

A very bad man
Mar 31, 2010

ShoulderDaemon posted:

You can always take a query involving a view, and inline the definition of the view as a subselect. If your view doesn't involve aggregates or anything else fancy like that, you can simply add the conditions of the view to the conditions of the query with an AND. It's hard to imagine how this inlining could add significant cost to the execution plan for the query. If you write the same query twice, once using a view and once inlining the definition of the view, the view shouldn't ever be slower because it's still the same query. The view might be faster than the inlined form if, for example, your database engine lets you amortize some costs by materializing views or creating better indexes.

There's a freaking science to optimizing views, I'm still coming to terms with it. I've been recently rewriting views which do use 'full table access' rather than using the index on production, but uses the index on development due to a huge difference in data. Inlining tends to be great when you only need a single value from another table, like a reference table value.

ToiletPost
Jun 10, 2008
Trying to run this select:

code:
SELECT dbo.Orders.Id, dbo.Orders.CustomerID, dbo.Orders.OrderTime,
dbo.Orders.SingedPrice, dbo.Orders.Description, Cards.Purchases.CardID,
Customers.FreeOrders.Discount , Customers.CanceledOrders.TimeStamp
FROM dbo.Orders
LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Customers ON dbo.Orders.CustomerID = dbo.Customers.Id
LEFT OUTER JOIN Cards.Purchases ON Cards.Purchases.OrderID = dbo.Orders.Id
And then it tells me:
code:
Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
Invalid column name 'FreeOrders'.
Msg 207, Level 16, State 1, Line 5
Invalid column name 'CanceledOrders'.
Both are tables not a goddamn columns you piece of poo poo!

What am I doing wrong?

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
You are joining a table called Customers and it tries to find the columns in that table.

So Customers.FreeOrders.Discount is not meaningful in this context.

If you have a table called FreeOrders (owned by Customers, which i doubt) it has to be in the join too.

ToiletPost
Jun 10, 2008

woptsufp posted:

You are joining a table called Customers and it tries to find the columns in that table.

So Customers.FreeOrders.Discount is not meaningful in this context.

If you have a table called FreeOrders (owned by Customers, which i doubt) it has to be in the join too.

Right, I'm so stupid.

Thanks!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is there any way in MySQL to give priority to queries involving a certain table or database?

I have a server that originally just hosted files, then later was also turned in to a basic email server for a voicemail system. The email setup uses MySQL for its user database, just a few small tables which are very rarely changed and basically just respond to a SELECT when someone receives a voicemail or accesses their account.

Recently due to another site being taken down we moved over a very large database with millions of rows in one large table (yes it's the same terribly designed one I've asked a few questions about in the past). Unfortunately, we've discovered that doing almost anything outside of simple INSERTs and queries that hit the indexes properly on this table seems to bring the entire server to a halt and results in users being unable to access their voicemail until the query finishes.

A new server is being purchased to permanently store the large database, but until that is available I'm looking for any stopgap solutions which will allow the mail server's database to have priority over everything else. I don't care if queries on the big table are even entirely halted every time something comes in on the voicemail, nothing against the big one is time sensitive.

So far I've found plenty of ways to limit the number of queries a user can issue in a given time or what can be queried, but this table is so large that a single very simple non-index SELECT against it is enough to kill the server so none of those are helpful.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

Only thing i could think of quickly is maybe install a separate instant of mysql to run only the large table.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
That won't help much if it's limited server resources that are the problem. One instance could easily consume all available I/O.

But if the other database is small enough to be kept in RAM, and both instances are tuned properly, it could work out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

McGlockenshire posted:

That won't help much if it's limited server resources that are the problem. One instance could easily consume all available I/O.

But if the other database is small enough to be kept in RAM, and both instances are tuned properly, it could work out.

My best guess is that it's disk I/O, since the server has a single hard drive and the big table is about 40GB with dozens of varchars. The voicemail database is incredibly tiny (2x 16KB + 1x 176KB tables) and basically static, so keeping it entirely in RAM seems like it would do the job.

What's the best way to achieve this? MEMORY table with an --init-file script that loads from the on-disk tables when the server starts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Let's say I have a status history table, with statuses like available, not available, fired, etc. Now let's say that sometimes statuses are put in more than once in a row:

pre:
User ID  |  Status   |  Date     |  Notes
----------------------------------------------------------
1        |  AVAIL    |  10/10/10 |  Confirmed availability
1        |  AVAIL    |  08/01/10 |  
1        |  NOTAVAIL |  07/02/10 |  On extended vacation
1        |  AVAIL    |  02/05/09 |
or whatever. I don't necessarily know why it happens, but I do know it happens, or at least did with the system I'm replacing. So what's the best way to get the oldest date for the most recent status? That is to say, I want to run a query that, run on the above data, will give me 08/01/10. Not 02/05/09, since that's not the most recent status block. It's like I want to find out the date of the next adjacent row iff said row's status is equal to the most recent one, all the way on down til we run into the last one.

I wouldn't be averse to a solution that also involved PHP. I'm thinking, maybe ... select them ordered by date, then loop through PHP until I hit one that doesn't match the most recent status, then get the previous date? I'd like a SQL solution, but I guess a PHP one could work in the meantime.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 19, 2010