Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Brown Moses posted:

Can someone explain the ending of the Japanese version of One Missed Call (2004) to me?

I had very, very vague memory of this. I get it mixed up with Pulse all the time. It's up on youtube so I gave it another view.

So everyone gets a call from themselves with a date time stamp of their future death. And then at the time they get maimed and make the call to themselves before they expire.

But it turns out the calls were magically being placed by the burnt corpse of a mother so they think she was the one behind it. And they think the history was that she was Muchausen-ing her kids for attention and one of them died and so she's hurting other people (to death) for attention.

They come to find out the mom was normal but her eldest daughter was hurting her little sister in some twisted "I hurt you - here's a gumdrop" torture reward cycle.

Flash forward to the ending where the lead girl thinks she has survived because she passed the date time on her phone and "released the evil" by embracing the mom's corpse/ghost. But then the evil kid rewinds the clock to the death time and somehow possesses her. So now the lead girl is "dead" but the evil kid is walking around in her body. So the lead guy gets inside and can see that she's possessed because of the mirror. The possessed lead girl/evil kid stabs him non-fatally but doesn't kill him. I think the evil kid has some positive association of him (some kind of thinking like he would have given her asthma spray instead of letting her die like her mother did).

So he wakes up in a hospital room and the possessed lead girl/evil kid gives him a treat while holding a knife behind her back. So I think that's an indication that she's going to repeat the "hurt-reward" cycle with him like she did with her younger sister.

I realize on watching it again that it's far more unfocused than I remember. The final third has almost nothing to do with the first 2/3rds of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Yeah, I enjoyed it, but thought it went a bit off the rails towards the end, especially the last 5 minutes. The hospital scene was creepy, but stuff seemed to happen just to be creppy, rather then making any sense whatsoever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, I just watched Saw IV (after having my interest in the series revived by the videogame) and I wanted to make sure I have this right. Saw IV took place roughly the same time as III, except the very beginning which took place afterward?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

muscles like this? posted:

Okay, I just watched Saw IV (after having my interest in the series revived by the videogame) and I wanted to make sure I have this right. Saw IV took place roughly the same time as III, except the very beginning which took place afterward?

Yep. There's a couple scenes that take place during the time lapses in Saw III, such as the discovery of Kerry's body. There's also a scene where someone pops in and tells Hoffman that a doctor has gone missing. They're referring to Lynn Denlon, of course, so that scene is before Jeff and Lynn's main storyline.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
There is a cliche in the movies: someone is told to "leave your weapons here," and then there is a drawn out scene where the person keeps removing weapons from all over his or her person, making a big pile, while the onlookers try to not act surprised.

In what movie did this first happen?

I know it happens in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Was there an earlier occurrence?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

GORDON posted:

There is a cliche in the movies: someone is told to "leave your weapons here," and then there is a drawn out scene where the person keeps removing weapons from all over his or her person, making a big pile, while the onlookers try to not act surprised.

In what movie did this first happen?

I know it happens in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. Was there an earlier occurrence?

Was it Bowling for Columbine?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

poonchasta posted:

Was it Bowling for Columbine?
...which came out 17 years after Thunderdome?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

GORDON posted:

Was there an earlier occurrence?

Here's the list from Tropes.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExtendedDisarming

The two that immediately sprang to mind for me were Sahara and Death Machine but both of those are post Thunderdome.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Is it crazy rare for a film's biggest weekend not to be it's opening weekend?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DannoMack posted:

For a wide release in the last 15 years, yes. Otherwise, not really.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

DannoMack posted:

If it's a wide release - yes

If it's a limited, growing release - no.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, it seems to be pretty rare. Here's a reasonable list of big releases that gained in the second weekend. In the past year or two it's just Bolt and The Blind Side. Avatar missed it by a tad.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/smallestdrops.htm?page=SMALLDROP25&p=.htm

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What in the world happened with Rumor Has It?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Power of Pecota posted:

Largely the same thing that happened with Wes Craven's 'Cursed'. Recast some roles and then make a completely different film to the one that was written.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

Hah, I don't even know. It opened on Christmas so maybe people deprioritized it till the second post-holiday week. But that doesn't make any historical sense as people don't generally seem to do that.
Edit: Ah, that explains it.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 17, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Power of Pecota posted:

It opened on Christmas day, which was a Sunday, so its first weekend was only one day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you look at the dates, every one opened between December 18th and 25th except for The Blind Side, Bolt, and Shrek.

The Blind Side and Bolt are the 20th and 21st of November, so there's probably a reason for those too. Maybe people like to go see movies Thanksgiving weekend?

Shrek was in May.

DrVenkman posted:

Largely the same thing that happened with Wes Craven's 'Cursed'. Recast some roles and then make a completely different film to the one that was written.

Pretty sure he meant the box office gain, nothing about the production.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SubG posted:

...which came out 17 years after Thunderdome?

Yeah I think Thunderome was the first. All the examples people have mentioned are... :smug: Beyond Thunderdome. :smug:

What's the lowest opening weekend a movie based on some actual property or other has done? Stuff like, say, the first Resident Evil movie did well on the name alone, I think even Double Dragon had a good opening weekend, but if you look at, say Tekken and... http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tekken.htm

Doesn't even break a million it's opening weekend, let alone for its entire run, how does that happen? Was there an active boycott? Was it released in a very low number of theaters?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

...but if you look at, say Tekken and... http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tekken.htm
Doesn't even break a million it's opening weekend, let alone for its entire run, how does that happen? Was there an active boycott? Was it released in a very low number of theaters?
You were one click away from answering your own question.
It seems it only had theatrical releases in those four countries, none in the US yet and only DVD releases in some european countries that don't count towards the boxoffice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just saw Tampopo and maybe it's because there are some Japanese cultural differences, but I was really confused by some parts.

In the French restaurant scene the junior exec shows up the senior guys with his food knowledge, I get that. But why does one of the old guys start twitching his head and starts blinking really loving hard? I thought he was having a stroke or something. Is this some weird thing like how if your nose bleeds it means you're horny?

There's another scene where an old guy with some assistants walk into a ramen shop and slowly eats a few pieces of noodles. Then he suddenly starts shoveling it into his mouth until he's choking on it and almost dies. It happens again with the spaghetti scene where the women are learning to eat quietly and then start shoveling it in like they were starving for 3 days. They all go loving nuts and eat it like it's their last day to live.

I don't know, I just thought there was some really weird poo poo in that movie.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just had a totally random memory and wondered if any Goons that are more film savvy than me know what I'm getting at.

I recall seeing a film, maybe 10 years ago, on a caravan holiday. From what little I can remember, it was set in a prison and involved many of the prisoners building and working on a car in their privilege time.

Sly Stallone might have been in the movie but then again that could be a memory conflict in my brain.

Any ideas?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ramagamma posted:

I just had a totally random memory and wondered if any Goons that are more film savvy than me know what I'm getting at.

I recall seeing a film, maybe 10 years ago, on a caravan holiday. From what little I can remember, it was set in a prison and involved many of the prisoners building and working on a car in their privilege time.

Sly Stallone might have been in the movie but then again that could be a memory conflict in my brain.

Any ideas?

That would be "Lock Up" starring Slyvester Stallone and Donald Sutherland;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097770/

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SiKboy posted:

That would be "Lock Up" starring Slyvester Stallone and Donald Sutherland;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097770/

Aw man brings back memories.

I don't recall it being a particularly exciting or memorable film. It was just one of those occasions when I was young, on holiday and without terribly much to do. I just recall getting very immersed and feeling so happy when they finally get the car running.

Funny how movies do that to you. I recall, possibly on the same holiday in fact, becoming utterly fasincated with the Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell movie "Overboard". I suppose its easy to be engrossed as a kid. Hell I remember loving some romantic thriller starring Melissa Johan Heart as a mentally psycho high school prom queen.

This is why I never watch films anymore.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Mu Zeta posted:

I just saw Tampopo and maybe it's because there are some Japanese cultural differences, but I was really confused by some parts.

In the French restaurant scene the junior exec shows up the senior guys with his food knowledge, I get that. But why does one of the old guys start twitching his head and starts blinking really loving hard? I thought he was having a stroke or something. Is this some weird thing like how if your nose bleeds it means you're horny?

There's another scene where an old guy with some assistants walk into a ramen shop and slowly eats a few pieces of noodles. Then he suddenly starts shoveling it into his mouth until he's choking on it and almost dies. It happens again with the spaghetti scene where the women are learning to eat quietly and then start shoveling it in like they were starving for 3 days. They all go loving nuts and eat it like it's their last day to live.

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure the idea is "it's funny". I remember the etiquette scene and that was definitely just a joke. The older woman was stressing how westerners don't make noise while eating noodles and there's a westerner slurping loudly, so they all follow suit. I don't have a clear memory of what preceded the reaction in that other scene. The humor in it is pretty pervasive and odd, though, for sure. Check out "A Taxing Woman" and "A Taxing Woman's Return" if you get a chance.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Mu Zeta posted:

Not sure why those are spoilered, but.

The junior guy thing, there's a 'showing up your seniors is bad thing' part but there is more. Here's the fun thing for Japanese people that go outside Japan to learn about other places: they are not trusted when they get back to Japan, because the assumption is that they miss some crucial culturation that people who do not leave the country get. If you (as a Japanese person) spend significant time outside Japan, you will always be under suspicion if you go back to Japan to work. Most Japanese people who leave Japan, work for foreign companis when they go back to Japan for this reason. It's one of the reasons why English is so horrible in Japan, because people who are serious about their careers cannot go spend time outside Japan.

Making sure you know this: Japanese people think that slurping is crucial to the taste of Ramen. And they think that there is one 'cool' way to eat western food, (because they are unaware of the fork switching done by Americans versus the nonswitching fork done by the British). So when they see an 'American' slurping noodle based food, they figure there is better taste to be had by slurping. And because they are eager to copy the foreigner rather than listen to what some other Japanese person has to say about the subject.

It also makes more sense when you realize there are actually adult education classes for just about anything in Japan. People do take classes in how to eat western food. Not how to make it, just how to eat it.

Tampopo was a bigger movie outside Japan than in Japan, culturally. Just like Kurosawa movies, you will rarely meet a Japanese person who has seen them.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If you're interested in looking at a film that gained at the box office slowly over time rather than on opening weekend, take a look at the numbers for My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I'm not a Hollywood numbers pro by any stretch, but I do understand that the film is used as an example of a sort of weird "word of mouth" grower rather than your normal big opener you typically see now. The target audience (middle aged women) obviously factors into how that film performed but there you go.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn't "starts out small, but consistently grows" pretty much the definition of a sleeper hit?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

haveblue posted:

Isn't "starts out small, but consistently grows" pretty much the definition of a sleeper hit?

I would agree, but I believe that in the current "everything depends on opening weekend" style of releasing, a "sleeper hit" is also a movie that wasn't expected to do well that does in fact do well and/or a movie that actually has legs past three weeks or so, because almost every movie isn't expected to last that long theatrically.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I remember when There's Something About Mary hit #1 later in it's wide release, it was a very big deal in Hollywood. It started on a lot of screens but debuted in the middle of the pack. Word of mouth pushed it to find it's audience a few weeks later.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=somethingaboutmary.htm

Films like My Big Fat Greek Wedding start small and add more screens based on word of mouth, so those are different situations. Still an amazing feat, but the platform release strategy is built to be that way. Same with Blair Witch Project and Paranormal Activity - start on a few hundred screens, expand with strong word of mouth and high per-screen box office numbers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VorpalBunny posted:

Paranormal Activity - start on a few hundred screens, expand with strong word of mouth and high per-screen box office numbers.
I just want to know who saw this movie and then told their friends to go see it. I rented it for a dollar and was so glad when it was over. What was it about this movie that made it successful?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Go read the Paranormal Activity 2 thread, tough guy.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Snak posted:

I just want to know who saw this movie and then told their friends to go see it. I rented it for a dollar and was so glad when it was over. What was it about this movie that made it successful?

I did. Watching the movie alone in your living room is one thing. Watching it in the dark with a 100 other people in a packed theater is something completely different and really fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I did. Watching the movie alone in your living room is one thing. Watching it in the dark with a 100 other people in a packed theater is something completely different and really fun.

I just thought the characters were unlikeable and stupid and additionally the plot was predictable. Either one of those alone would have been acceptable, but I was just bored. I wasn't really trying to pick a fight, If you had a good time with the movie, that's what enjoying cinema is all about. My favorite film is Face/Off I have no room to argue :)

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I rented it for a dollar and was so glad when it was over.

Not a dig at you Shak but do people actually do this? If I start watching a movie, its got about 15, maybe 22, minutes to impress me. If I'm not drawn in by that point then I'll go find something more enjoyable to do. Free time is at too high a premium too waste on anything not exciting.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
Does anyone know the name of the documentary about people obsessed with watching movies? Someone posted something about it here a few months ago but I can't remember the name of it. It looked kinda interesting and I'd love to track it down.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

I believe it was Cinemania.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

NeuroticErotica posted:

I believe it was Cinemania.

That's the one! Thanks.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Izzy Mandelbaum posted:

Does anyone know the name of the documentary about people obsessed with watching movies? Someone posted something about it here a few months ago but I can't remember the name of it. It looked kinda interesting and I'd love to track it down.

Cinemania is good, but it's much more about obsessive behavior than it is about movies. It barely matters that the people are obsessed with movies specifically, they could be pokemon collectors for all it really matters to what the documentary is really about. It's still good though.

If you want to watch a documentary about people obsessed with film and how film culture spreads, I'd recommend Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession instead (and Z Channel will also probably leave you with a list of movies to hunt down and watch too).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ramagamma posted:

Not a dig at you Shak but do people actually do this? If I start watching a movie, its got about 15, maybe 22, minutes to impress me. If I'm not drawn in by that point then I'll go find something more enjoyable to do. Free time is at too high a premium too waste on anything not exciting.

I really have to dislike a movie to flat out stop watching it. There's a part of me that really wants to know how it ends, no matter how uninteresting the movie has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

I really have to dislike a movie to flat out stop watching it. There's a part of me that really wants to know how it ends, no matter how uninteresting the movie has been.

I was so bored by Funny Games but I wanted to see how it ended, so I just started fast-forwarding. It kinda weirded me out when one of the characters picked up a remote and undid my handiwork.