Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo_Reloaded posted:

At least the original mono track has the correct audio. I don't like these 7.1 reimaginings for classic films anyway.

True, I feel the same as well. Haven't popped my disc in yet - do you know whether the default audio is the mono or the 7.1?

12/21

Christmas is coming a few days early this year. The case better be brown too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

doctor thodt posted:

The European set is a long fold-out digipak like the Quadrilogy DVD set.

gently caress. Does anyone know why the difference exist?

It seems dumb to release both sets looking exactly the same but for the inside to be different.

I might cancel my pre-order and get the US release instead.

I've been looking for motivation to get a region free player for ages.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

PriorMarcus posted:

I've been looking for motivation to get a region free player for ages.

I believe the US release is region free (people are already finding copies at Best Buy), so you wouldn't need to anyway.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I figured this could go here, seeing as how it has to do with HD:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358393&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post383455556
Two 6-foot HDMI cables for $1.89 (after coupon) plus free shipping.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Alien Anthology is region free, yes. Basically it comes down to paying $95 for better packaging vs. $55 for the UK release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

Lionsgate seems to be releasing some double packs soon.

These all just popped up on Amazon for $13.99. Release date November.

War/Condemned - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZVA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZVA
Universal Soldier/Lock Up - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZN8?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZN8
Running Man/Red Heat - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZVK?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZVK
Terminator 2/Total Recall - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZAG?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZAG
Rambo 1/Rambo 4 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZO2?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZO2
Rambo 2/Rambo 3 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZHY?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZHY
Crank/Crank 2 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZBU?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZBU
Chaos/The Bank Job - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZC4?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZC4
Black Mask/The Forbidden Kingdom - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSZOC?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041QSZOC

Congrats to the people who got in back when I posted that last month. Most went up to $17.99-$19.49

The covers for each one were put up on Amazon.

Not bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sporadic posted:

Congrats to the people who got in back when I posted that last month. Most went up to $17.99-$19.49

The covers for each one were put up on Amazon.

Not bad.

Oh God I hope Total Recall comes with the Arnie commentary.

"YES! THE ZHREE BREASTS, YAH!"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Apocalypse Now

How nice it will be to have a version that hasn't been cropped by a cinematographer who's lost his loving mind.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FitFortDanga posted:

Apocalypse Now

How nice it will be to have a version that hasn't been cropped by a cinematographer who's lost his loving mind.

Sucks for Canadians who already bought it though.

William Pahllace
Dec 22, 2009

Look, buddy. I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings.

FitFortDanga posted:

Apocalypse Now

What's up with the 'no credits' thing? Is it one of those "original Director's vision" deals?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think the original 70mm "roadshow" version had credits entirely in printed form in a program book. The general release on 35mm had credits added.

Fantasia is one of the only other films to do this. The only title on its roadshow version was a slide projected onto the curtain during the intermission.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

I've had Downfall from the UK in my collection for years, so I don't know why you're not seeing it.

DVDaf is not perfect - I find myself having to add a lot of new things myself. But once you learn the process it is very simple, and I prefer the general interface to the alternatives. But if the thought of adding your own entries to the database now and then is completely unattractive, then yeah I guess it's not for you.

To tell you the truth, I didn't realize the region selection on search reset every time you visit DVDaf. Now I can actually find it and add Downfall. The gently caress.

Secondly, I've tried adding Proposition, and for some reason, when I hit submit, it denoted the entry as being... withdrawn. What the hell? I'm not spending another 20-30 minutes doing all that poo poo.

eLGee
Feb 14, 2006

I got the worst fucking attorneys.

doctor thodt posted:

Why? Is it any different from the US edition?

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

im also confused what you mean by that?
speaking of Canadians, i bought a copy of Apocalypse Now @ Future Shop and it didn't include the 48 page booklet... i went back to get a different copy. the staffperson opened the only other copy of it which was also missing the booklet.. so now I gotta wait until the next batch comes in.

anyone else have this issue?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, looks like Gary removed that bit from the review page. I guess there was some issue about disc art misprints, where the special features disc was actually the feature and vice versa (or something like that).

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

friendo55 posted:

im also confused what you mean by that?
speaking of Canadians, i bought a copy of Apocalypse Now @ Future Shop and it didn't include the 48 page booklet... i went back to get a different copy. the staffperson opened the only other copy of it which was also missing the booklet.. so now I gotta wait until the next batch comes in.

anyone else have this issue?

All the Canadian ones are like that.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

All the Canadian ones are like that.

before Gary removed the info, was there any mention of this issue being fixed? if I wait for another batch of these blus to be shipped, will it be coming anytime soon, or am i just screwed?

Shalkore
Oct 11, 2007

Welcome to 2012!
That'll teach me to pre-order from amazon.ca :(

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

from a poster on blu-ray.com forums, for those like me who are interested:

quote:

As some of you may already know from a few previous posts I have made, I bought the full disclosure edition of Apocalypse Now this morning and when I got home and opened it, there was no 48 page booklet inside.

I returned it to future shop immediately and demanded a refund. They said that there is a shipping error with the booklets, and there is a notice in front of the store saying that they will be getting the booklets on Monday and I can pick it up then.

I said I am not making multiple trips to the store just for a booklet that possibly is going to be covered in french by the time it arrives (that would explain the delay), and that I want a refund. She gave me the refund in the end, but not without hassle.

I feel bad for all the people that bought this today, because there are tons of stores that dont have this shipping error notice up in their front window. Best buy for instance had no such information available, and their versions were locked up in plastic cases so you cant even feel the weight of the packaging.

It appears that this isnt a future shop only error, as every store I visited today didnt have the booklet inside. I could tell from the weight of the packaging, they felt rather light for something that should have a 48 page booklet inside. And also it seems like there is just a little bit of extra space inside the slip cover, where a booklet should fit.

Well, another week, another Canadian release that got ****ed up. Possibly due to french re-packaging. I would put my money on that booklet being smeared in french come Monday.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

doctor thodt posted:

Arrow UK's first print of Battle Royale will be limited to 5,000 copies, in a 3-disc edition with exclusive special features that will not appear on subsequent releases. No word yet on region coding, but Arrow codes their discs region free whenever they possibly can. Make sure to pre-order if you want to get in on the limited edition (about $25 shipped to the US):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZIZ2HK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Thanks to doctor thodt for this post; skimmed this thread a few days ago to find out when Inception was coming out, saw this and immediately pre-ordered. For anyone else who was interested, they announced just now that it will be a region free bluray. The full details:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arrow-video-titles-past-present-future/3799-arrow-video-battle-royale-dvd-blu-ray-specs.html#post109076

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 20, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good lord, that is PACKED. So stoked for that release.

e: There was a recent rumor about The Incredibles coming to BD next spring. This has been confirmed by a trailer included with Toy Story 3.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 20, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

e: There was a recent rumor about The Incredibles coming to BD next spring. This has been confirmed by a trailer included with Toy Story 3.

About time.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

doctor thodt posted:

Good lord, that is PACKED. So stoked for that release.

Jesus Christ, finally. It's like they knew that this one movie is the one people actually wanted on BD and held it back. It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

doctor thodt posted:

This is excellent news, no doubt it will be up to the standard of the other Pixar blu-rays (which is a good thing).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now all we need is Finding Nemo, which IIRC was announced for like, loving fall 2007.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

FitFortDanga posted:

Apocalypse Now

So I guess Full Disclosure edition is a worthwhile purchase? For awhile it seemed like I kept hearing different information about everything but the site seems to suggest that it is awesome.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BitterAvatar posted:

So I guess Full Disclosure edition is a worthwhile purchase? For awhile it seemed like I kept hearing different information about everything but the site seems to suggest that it is awesome.

The only differences are the packaging (the 3-disc comes in a DVD-sized fold-out digipak, the 2-disc comes in a regular blue keepcase) and the inclusion of the 48 page booklet and Hearts of Darkness (in full 1080p). Up to you to decide whether that's worth the extra $20 or so, but to me, owning HoD in HD is invaluable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Does anyone else's BD of The Thing have sync issues? It's only in one scene, when MacReady (Russell) is in the caterpillar, talking to some bearded guy, but the dialogue and the mouth movements are way off.

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck
I actually do think I noticed a syncing issue for a split second on The Thing. I thought it was in my mind though.

Apocalypse Now has bumped Patton down to my second favorite BD. It took me a long time to make the switch from DVD but I'm so happy I did. It really is worth it. It's been fun giving away all my DVDs that have been replaced as well.

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s

doctor thodt posted:

There was a recent rumor about The Incredibles coming to BD next spring. This has been confirmed by a trailer included with Toy Story 3.

This flyer was in my copy, can't loving wait.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cb rocks posted:

This flyer was in my copy, can't loving wait.

Wait, what am I missing? I thought TS3 was Nov. 2nd?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Crackbone posted:

Wait, what am I missing? I thought TS3 was Nov. 2nd?

Yeah, where did he get his copy? Is it out in another region or something?

Edit: But, yeah, Incredibles on Blu-Ray confirmed.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 21, 2010

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Yeah, where did he get his copy? Is it out in another region or something?

Edit: But, yeah, Incredibles on Blu-Ray confirmed.

I'm in the UK, got it from here:

http://www.dvdworldusa.com/shopexd.asp?id=72179

Ordered it sometime last week (14th I think) and it showed up on Monday.

cb rocks fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 21, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon is running a deal where if you buy both Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet, you'll get $6 off. Making them $30.68 shipped.

Moulin Rouge = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G8XON0?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001G8XON0
Romeo + Juliet = http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQT0ZO?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001AQT0ZO

Not bad if you were planning to buy them anyways.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 21, 2010

Red
Apr 15, 2003

thethuthinnang posted:

I actually do think I noticed a syncing issue for a split second on The Thing. I thought it was in my mind though.

Even if it's only for 30 seconds, why don't studios catch this stuff before they release it? Would the issue have affected my purchase? Probably not, because I don't have the DVD, but I do have the DVD for Saving Private Ryan, and I'm not getting the Blu-Ray because I know about the sync issue that has.

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

Red posted:

I do have the DVD for Saving Private Ryan, and I'm not getting the Blu-Ray because I know about the sync issue that has.
They've already released fixed copies of it, the fixed copy has a yellow UPC on the back.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Red posted:

Even if it's only for 30 seconds, why don't studios catch this stuff before they release it? Would the issue have affected my purchase? Probably not, because I don't have the DVD, but I do have the DVD for Saving Private Ryan, and I'm not getting the Blu-Ray because I know about the sync issue that has.

That issue with Saving Private Ryan fixed now. Look for the Blu-ray with the yellow barcode.

Edit: What the post above me says

sursumdeorsum
Jan 10, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Now all we need is Finding Nemo, which IIRC was announced for like, loving fall 2007.

good lord yes, please give us finding nemo I desperately need it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm guessing Nemo will be this time next year in conjunction with the Cars 2 BD.

The A-Team (12/14) cover art is a photoshop nightmare.

quote:

Unrated Extended Version
PG-13 Theatrical Version
Feature Audio Commentary with Joe Carnahan
A-Team Theme Mash-Up Montage
BD Exclusive: The Devil's in the Details: Inside the Action with Joe Carnahan
BD Exclusive: Deleted Scenes
BD Exclusive: Gag Reel
BD Exclusive: Plan of Attack
BD Exclusive: Character Chronicles
BD Exclusive: "Visual Effects Before and After" with Commentary by Visual Effects Supervisor James E. Price
BD Exclusive: Theatrical Trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I'm guessing Nemo will be this time next year in conjunction with the Cars 2 BD.

The A-Team (12/14) cover art is a photoshop nightmare.

Oh my, they really tuned Liam Neeson up.

• Locked thread