Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
An arcade racing game from the mid-80's. You rode on a futuristic motorcycle on a set track. Your view was as the rider, as if you were on the bike. The tracks were the same every time you played, so it was easy to learn the course for each race. The second to last track had a pink/orange color scheme, and was called "Titania". The last track had a blue/dark blue color color scheme, and was called "Metropolis". The race course was suspended in mid air, within the large crystal city. There were about 8 to 10 different tracks, however once you beat them all, the game alternated between the last 2 tracks only. Every race pitted you against 4 other computer-controlled bikes. Once you gained a lead, they would stay a set distance behind you, however if you crashed into a wall, or an obstacle on the field, they could continue to increase their distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
I am trying to remember the title of this game, so I can legally purchase it and own a copy.

I don't really have many details about the game, other then the fact that It was a top down shooter, that scrolled when your character moved. You ran around, and shot monsters, and after a while the monsters would sometimes drop items, and you could pick these up and upgrade your gun, but It wasn't like Powerups, in that you were slowly upgrading your gun, and choosing the different paths based on what items, you picked up, and how many of them you did.

The Final boss battle was against a large monster head, that I think shot projectiles out of his mouth (Yeah I know big help). The only other details I know were that the game was fairly short, It was on an older hand held, and the same Hand Held also had a copy of DarkStalkers for it. (I don't know if it was called Darkstalkers at the time, but I do know it had Morrigan, Felicia, and most of the other Darkstalkers Characters in it)

Booger Motel
Oct 21, 2004
hay babez
I'm trying to remember the name of a flash game that was featured on Adult Swim's "Games that we like" about a year back. The entire game was a sidescroller puzzle game that took place in complete darkness. You had to carry around a lantern or flashlight to light your way. If you went outside the area of light, you fell off of the stage, so you could use the gimmick to fall through floors and what not. It had a really cool art style and the entire game was in yellow and black. It also had creepy music.

Anyone know?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Booger Motel posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a flash game that was featured on Adult Swim's "Games that we like" about a year back. The entire game was a sidescroller puzzle game that took place in complete darkness. You had to carry around a lantern or flashlight to light your way. If you went outside the area of light, you fell off of the stage, so you could use the gimmick to fall through floors and what not. It had a really cool art style and the entire game was in yellow and black. It also had creepy music.

Anyone know?

Closure.The game was Originally Hosted on Newgrounds.com

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/480006 (the Link)

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I'm afraid this one might be a bit too obscure, but gonna give it a try anyway...

It looked like a fairly old 2D isometric game. You were stranded on an island and had to quickly find food and water, and build a shelter else you wouldn't survive for long. Over time, you could start building a garden to survive and such, while using rocks to build a S.O.S. signal. Each day, you had a certain percentage chance of being spotted by a passing airplane. The island you were stranded on was randomly generated, and I recall there being some extra subquests as well, like finding a buried treasure.

It was a fairly simple game, but I loved the whole concept. Any chance anyone knows what game I'm talking about?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jimson posted:

I am trying to remember the title of this game, so I can legally purchase it and own a copy.

I don't really have many details about the game, other then the fact that It was a top down shooter, that scrolled when your character moved. You ran around, and shot monsters, and after a while the monsters would sometimes drop items, and you could pick these up and upgrade your gun, but It wasn't like Powerups, in that you were slowly upgrading your gun, and choosing the different paths based on what items, you picked up, and how many of them you did.

The Final boss battle was against a large monster head, that I think shot projectiles out of his mouth (Yeah I know big help). The only other details I know were that the game was fairly short, It was on an older hand held, and the same Hand Held also had a copy of DarkStalkers for it. (I don't know if it was called Darkstalkers at the time, but I do know it had Morrigan, Felicia, and most of the other Darkstalkers Characters in it)
Neo Geo Pocket Color - Dark Arms? I have it, but I don't remember the last boss, but GameFaqs says there's a post-ending dungeon with a Medusa at the end.

No Darkstalkers on that system, but there's the SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash that they were in.

vvv No problem - it's my first hit in this thread. :woop:

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 19, 2010

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

duckfarts posted:

Neo Geo Pocket Color - Dark Arms? I have it, but I don't remember the last boss, but GameFaqs says there's a post-ending dungeon with a Medusa at the end.

No Darkstalkers on that system, but there's the SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash that they were in.

If I wasn't so sure I was straight, I would ask you to make sweet sweet love to me. God, I can't explain how MUCH this has been bothering me trying to remember this game.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Ok, I have one more that I would love to find.

This was a Console game. It was multiplayer and kind of an "Arena" fighter in that it would place you in some location, that would have like Rivers, and "houses" and things like that. It was Topdown, and all the action happened on the "board." you got to choose your soldiers and the like, and there were different teams, most of them had 3 or 4 characters but there were a few special teams, like a team of just 1 guy, who could run around and place dynamite, and had a super machinegun or something like that. There was a team 2 people, who both had pistols or something, and were fast or some gimmick. If I remember correctly there were in fact a few teams to choose from.
Game is General Chaos Thank you Dr. Amazing.

JimsonTheBetrayer fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 19, 2010

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Jimson posted:

Ok, I have one more that I would love to find.

This was a Console game. It was multiplayer and kind of an "Arena" fighter in that it would place you in some location, that would have like Rivers, and "houses" and things like that. It was Topdown, and all the action happened on the "board." you got to choose your soldiers and the like, and there were different teams, most of them had 3 or 4 characters but there were a few special teams, like a team of just 1 guy, who could run around and place dynamite, and had a super machinegun or something like that. There was a team 2 people, who both had pistols or something, and were fast or some gimmick. If I remember correctly there were in fact a few teams to choose from.

It's not exact but this sounds kinda like General Chaos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Chaos

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
I'd love it if anyone could identify a game for the original Playstation. I'm not sure when it was released, but I seem to remember playing it fairly shortly after I picked up my Playstation, which would've been around 1996 or 1997. You controlled a mech from a first-person perspective and had been sent to a space station to investigate a break in communications or whatever. You get there and find that it's overrun by a bunch of monsters, and later learn that there's some kind of disease infecting people and turning them into monsters. At one point one of your teammates foolishly eats an apple or some piece of fruit containing spores and ends up getting transformed.

Your teammates popped up on your HUD as anime-style portraits and then rambled about whatever it is you were supposed to do. I seem to recall having to rescue a child and carry it (her?) with you for the rest of the game. The final showdown occurred in a shuttle bay as you tried to make your escape, but I never beat the drat thing. Any help is appreciated.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Yo Quiet American.
Is the game your Looking for Space griffon?

Even got the Little Anime Bobblehead poo poo goin' on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrwCeDdJUV8

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
This one is tricky. Old PC game, like really old. Graphic adventure where you had a billion ways you could end up dead. And by dead I mean end up with a lobotomy. Bonus, when you got a lobotomy you got to see a pixel art of your character with a forehead wound looking like a retard.

You start locked up in a room in an asylum room and the first puzzle is to escape it. One of the first things that happens is that someone slides in a food tray through a gap in the door.

Once you get out of the room you have to evade guards as well as try to escape the place, and then you start getting memories of stuff that happened before and that presumably ended up in the sanatorium.

I don't remember much more than that, except in one of the memories you get I remember one of the characters in the memory telling you to "find Scorpio" right before he dies of a gunshot wound.

Never managed to beat that game, I think it was above my 10-year-old-self pay grade. Wouldn't mind revisiting it.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Yo Monday Averted, are you talking about Sanitarium? Thats an old graphic adventure game that starts in an asylum.

http://www.ataniel.org/sanitreview.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-j4hDsgg5A

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

Jimson posted:

Yo Quiet American.
Is the game your Looking for Space griffon?

Even got the Little Anime Bobblehead poo poo goin' on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrwCeDdJUV8
Ha, that's exactly it! I've been looking for this game since around 2002, now I can finally watch the drat ending on YouTube. Thanks!

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Jimson posted:

Yo Monday Averted, are you talking about Sanitarium?

Nope. Was my first guess when I was trying to think back the name of this game and did a google search, but definitely isn't.

The hospital in the game that I mean was a normal modern hospital, instead of looking all gothic-horror. Also I do remember that when you moved between rooms, in the corridors of the building while trying to avoid the guards, the camera angle was from the top. The rest of the game the camera was like most old graphic adventures.

The art style tried to be realistic, it didn't aim for cartoony like Monkey Island as an example.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!
Pretty sure this is Countdown.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

Plinth posted:

Pretty sure this is Countdown.

Score! Well done, good man.

This has been haunting me for so long. Every time I think back on it I immediately try to recall the name, and then I try to look it up and don't find anything which leads me to feel incredibly frustrated for a few hours.

You have saved me from this pain!

(Holy crap, I was 7 when this game came out. I don't think I had any business playing that kinda game at that age.)

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've been playing through Sanitarium thanks to GOG and and I'm pretty sure you can't actually lose, even during the action sequences. Worst that happens is you respawn at the beginning of the sequence.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

A Quiet American posted:

I'd love it if anyone could identify a game for the original Playstation. I'm not sure when it was released, but I seem to remember playing it fairly shortly after I picked up my Playstation, which would've been around 1996 or 1997. You controlled a mech from a first-person perspective and had been sent to a space station to investigate a break in communications or whatever. You get there and find that it's overrun by a bunch of monsters, and later learn that there's some kind of disease infecting people and turning them into monsters. At one point one of your teammates foolishly eats an apple or some piece of fruit containing spores and ends up getting transformed.

Your teammates popped up on your HUD as anime-style portraits and then rambled about whatever it is you were supposed to do. I seem to recall having to rescue a child and carry it (her?) with you for the rest of the game. The final showdown occurred in a shuttle bay as you tried to make your escape, but I never beat the drat thing. Any help is appreciated.

Slightly wild guess here, but is it BRAHMA Force?

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
Aaah, while looking for info on Countdown I found out about Martian Memorandum. Another game with a name I couldn't remember for the life of me, and which I hadn't managed to beat back then.

I'll have some good retro gaming session sometime soon.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Nerdfest X posted:

An arcade racing game from the mid-80's. You rode on a futuristic motorcycle on a set track. Your view was as the rider, as if you were on the bike. The tracks were the same every time you played, so it was easy to learn the course for each race. The second to last track had a pink/orange color scheme, and was called "Titania". The last track had a blue/dark blue color color scheme, and was called "Metropolis". The race course was suspended in mid air, within the large crystal city. There were about 8 to 10 different tracks, however once you beat them all, the game alternated between the last 2 tracks only. Every race pitted you against 4 other computer-controlled bikes. Once you gained a lead, they would stay a set distance behind you, however if you crashed into a wall, or an obstacle on the field, they could continue to increase their distance.

Was this Star Rider? I remember this solely because of an ancient magazine article that is firmly wedged in my brain covering upcoming laser disc arcade games.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Monday Averted posted:

Aaah, while looking for info on Countdown I found out about Martian Memorandum. Another game with a name I couldn't remember for the life of me, and which I hadn't managed to beat back then.

I'll have some good retro gaming session sometime soon.
This is the early Tex Murphy game? You may be interested to know that Good Old Games has all of them for pretty cheap, including the later Under A Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive, which I believe are generally regarded as the best.

EDIT: Here's the publisher page which I think is all of them and only them: http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_genres/search/access%20software/

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

guppy posted:

This is the early Tex Murphy game? You may be interested to know that Good Old Games has all of them for pretty cheap, including the later Under A Killing Moon and The Pandora Directive, which I believe are generally regarded as the best.

Do they make them easy to play on modern machines? I remember jumping through a multitude of hoops to get UAKM and Pandora Directive (and Overseer) running in Windows XP.

I love Tex Murphy games.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cidrick posted:

Do they make them easy to play on modern machines? I remember jumping through a multitude of hoops to get UAKM and Pandora Directive (and Overseer) running in Windows XP.

I love Tex Murphy games.
In theory, yes. I can only vouch for my experience, which is Under A Killing Moon running flawlessly on a Core 2 Duo 2.20Ghz with 3GB RAM and an nVidia 8300 something or other, running Vista. I can't promise perfection but I've had nearly all good experiences with that stuff. (I did have problems with Interstate '76.)

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Kammat posted:

Was this Star Rider? I remember this solely because of an ancient magazine article that is firmly wedged in my brain covering upcoming laser disc arcade games.

Yes, that was it! Thanks.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

guppy posted:

This is the early Tex Murphy game?

I am pretty sure I paying college fees for the son of whoever made GOG.com. Picked up Torment, VtM:R... the more I browse, the more old games I find that I feel irresistibly compelled to pick up.

Booger Motel
Oct 21, 2004
hay babez

Jimson posted:

Closure.The game was Originally Hosted on Newgrounds.com

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/480006 (the Link)

Thank you, that's it. Great little flash game, especially for Halloween.

iCloud Strife
Jul 24, 2007

by angerbeet
Good-looking Windows 95 era Space Invaders style game that seemed to frequently involve abducting cows in a pasture.

I swear this existed.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
This one should be easy. I'm pretty sure it was a genesis game. It was a helicopter game kind of like the Strike games. Hell, it may have been a strike game. All I remember about it is it had very sharp graphics. And the very first level was very red. Red everywhere. That's all I can remember.

*edit* It is not Red Zone.

Kenzo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 20, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

This one should be easy. I'm pretty sure it was a genesis game. It was a helicopter game kind of like the Strike games. Hell, it may have been a strike game. All I remember about it is it had very sharp graphics. And the very first level was very red. Red everywhere. That's all I can remember.

*edit* It is not Red Zone.

Here ya go. All 13 helicopter games for the Genesis. None of them seem to match your description about "red" although there is a game called Red Zone but there's surprisingly little red in it aside from a few splashscreens.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

rvdleun posted:

It looked like a fairly old 2D isometric game. You were stranded on an island and had to quickly find food and water, and build a shelter else you wouldn't survive for long. Over time, you could start building a garden to survive and such, while using rocks to build a S.O.S. signal. Each day, you had a certain percentage chance of being spotted by a passing airplane. The island you were stranded on was randomly generated, and I recall there being some extra subquests as well, like finding a buried treasure.

Schiffbruch, maybe?

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I remember playing a game with my parents a long time ago, I'm not sure if it was on NES or SNES, but I'm leaning towards NES.

Anyway, I *think* you played as a wizard, and the only levels I remember were one where you were in a boat or something and trying to avoid a whirlpool sort of thing, and another where you had to navigate a room with hidden bomb panels that randomly exploded on certain tiles on the floor.

I wish I could remember more, I remember it being really creepy and surreal at the time, and incredibly hard but that could've just been because I was so young.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghastric posted:

I remember playing a game with my parents a long time ago, I'm not sure if it was on NES or SNES, but I'm leaning towards NES.

Anyway, I *think* you played as a wizard, and the only levels I remember were one where you were in a boat or something and trying to avoid a whirlpool sort of thing, and another where you had to navigate a room with hidden bomb panels that randomly exploded on certain tiles on the floor.

I wish I could remember more, I remember it being really creepy and surreal at the time, and incredibly hard but that could've just been because I was so young.

Pretty sure that's The Immortal on NES, and man that game was very hard.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mullah Nasrudin posted:

Good-looking Windows 95 era Space Invaders style game that seemed to frequently involve abducting cows in a pasture.

I swear this existed.

Super Space Invaders '91
http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.php?imageID=2683

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Danger Mahoney posted:

Pretty sure that's The Immortal on NES, and man that game was very hard.

Hell yeah that's it, thanks!

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

Technetium posted:

I remember an older 2d shareware (I think) fighting game for PC called something like Zulu Warriors, I think. You'd fight in a little arena/dungeon with creatures like a scorpion or spider warrior, golems, an eyeball creature, a mage, a fighter. I believe if you won the tournament your character had a parade in front of all the other characters. I just seem to recall the name starting with a Z.

Re-reposting this as I'm still looking too.

Pc, on a late-90s shareware "100 games for windows!" type disc.
I also remember it starting with a Z or maybe X, or other less common letter. But I've tried searching for the titles I remember that match off of those discs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Help! I have two questions, both arcade games!

First game I need remembering was a sitdown dune buggy racing game where you vehicle had a gun. Nothing fancy, just fired straight ahead sort of like Road Blasters but it was just used to slow down your opponents. If you got shot you felt it in your back as the chair you were sitting in would slam something into you. It was pretty drat neat. The game was entirely 2D as well if I recall correctly.

The second game is for a buddy of mine. He swears it's kind of like Chase H.Q. only there are two guys in the car and next to the steering wheel was a gun that you could fire. That's all I have to go off of though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

First game I need remembering was a sitdown dune buggy racing game where you vehicle had a gun. Nothing fancy, just fired straight ahead sort of like Road Blasters but it was just used to slow down your opponents. If you got shot you felt it in your back as the chair you were sitting in would slam something into you. It was pretty drat neat. The game was entirely 2D as well if I recall correctly.

Road Riot 4WD is a possibility here.

Yodzilla posted:

The second game is for a buddy of mine. He swears it's kind of like Chase H.Q. only there are two guys in the car and next to the steering wheel was a gun that you could fire. That's all I have to go off of though.

This pretty much has to be Lucky & Wild.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 28, 2010

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Mr_Person posted:

This pretty much has to be Lucky & Wild.

Yeah I'll double check with him. Never heard of the game until now but man I wish I did. It looks badass.

:c00lbert:

Mr_Person posted:

Road Riot 4WD is a possibility here.

Yeah that's definitely it. Easily one of my favorite arcade games of all time along with T-Mek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lucky & Wild was awesome. It begins with some assholes shooting out your car window and taking pursuit through a shopping mall or something. You don't chase them because they're criminals but because those fuckheads shot up your sweet ride.