Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I want your rear brake light... for the memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I want your rear brake light... for the memories

It doesn't do anything...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dumb question. In those huge tanks, where's the gas pickup and petcock? Is there a pump or something that lets you draw from the bottom of it?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
You might as well close this thread at this point since you seem intent on not having any projects. Lazy bum :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Dumb question. In those huge tanks, where's the gas pickup and petcock? Is there a pump or something that lets you draw from the bottom of it?

The petcock is on the lower left hand side. You can get fuel trapped in the right "wing" of the tank and have to lean the bike over to the left to get it into the pickup. And there's a small amount of fuel that will never get used in the very bottom of certain tanks.

redscare posted:

You might as well close this thread at this point since you seem intent on not having any projects. Lazy bum :colbert:

Hey I've gotta have money to have projects. I do need to pick up a cheap beginner bike for my little brother and mom to learn on, so that's on the list, and then obviously once I get my trackbike there will be painting and prep to do on that. :buddy:

Just gotta sell poo poo first :(

And I still need to fix the leaking gaskets on the DRZ440. :sigh:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n's Project Useless Thread

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

You should know by now that all of my threads posts are useless :buddy:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Spiffness posted:

The thread is a project.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's not a thread about a project, it's a thread about projection. Z3n projects his evil desires of crime upon a mechanical device which supposedly is in charge of his behaviour. People don't kill people, sumos do.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

People don't kill people, sumos do.

I'm afraid, that I might have killed people as well as motorcycles. Does that make me a Sumo?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Blaster of Justice posted:

I'm afraid, that I might have killed people as well as motorcycles. Does that make me a Sumo?

Since you're a goon there's a good chance that you are a sumo, just the wrestling kind and not the motorcycle kind.

:keke:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

frozenphil posted:

Since you're a goon there's a good chance that you are a sumo, just the wrestling kind and not the motorcycle kind.

184cm and 82kg, I'm hardly a Sumo. More like a moped. gently caress, I think we spoiled Z3n's project thread. (No, he actually accomplished that himself)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

184cm and 82kg, I'm hardly a Sumo. More like a moped. gently caress, I think we spoiled Z3n's project thread. (No, he actually accomplished that himself)

Nah, my thread was kinda spoiled when I started selling all the projects, you guys just finishing burying it and then building on it's grave.

Ola posted:

It's not a thread about a project, it's a thread about projection. Z3n projects his evil desires of crime upon a mechanical device which supposedly is in charge of his behaviour. People don't kill people, sumos do.

Are you sure you're not american? That level of understanding of the diffusion of responsibility would indicate otherwise.

Tonight I need to box all of the parts up all of the parts that need to be shipped off, and then maybe I'll get into breaking down the 9. Finally.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Z3n posted:

The pet cock

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Goddamnit :argh: What the gently caress good is a KTM tank, I want an R6!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Sorry man putting that bitchin tank on your drz frame (or is that the kaw?) Doesn't make it a 690 no matter how hard you wish for it... :v:

Email me the details and we can settle up. Won't be back in town till late tomorrow night, have some rubber to burn at the track!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, about time I get back to this bad boy.

The DRZ is essentially gone. I've got some suspension bits left over, but basically the rest of the bike is gone. I've gotten about 3k out of the bike, which is around what I expected, and a few hundred better than I was asking when I sold it. I've still got some other odds and ends off of it floating around.

The ZX9R recently broke down:

I had a guy who was supposed to come by and pick up the engine but I never heard from him. Apparently he rented a car, drove down from oakland, and then disappeared off the face of the planet. The frame, subframe, swingarm, and gas tank were recycled for the sum total of 8$. I've got a grip of 9R parts sitting in the garage, ready to be parted out now, once I decide to stop being lazy I'll start posting that stuff on ebay.

I've started looking for a racebike in earnest now, but have also been waiting for winter to hit properly, because it hasn't rained here for more than a little bit so prices are staying pretty high. The end of season racebikes should be flooding the market soon, and then it'll be time to capitalize on the misfortune of others.

Went up to santa maria last weekend with some friends for a maintenance day, helped people set up their suspensions, did some basic maintenance work, and just generally relaxed and had a good time.

The DRZ is going back to dirt wheels for a bit now that the rain has packed the dirt down, and that's been the extent of what I've been doing thus far. If I sell all of the 9 parts I should have around 1500$ more, pushing me well into the good range for trackbikes, and that's not counting any other savings I can build up. Once I get a racebike, I'll strip the fairings, paint it, most likely custom make some rearsets, and will go back to the track for the first time in ages. Can't wait.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Are you getting a 600CC or going for a literbike? I've noticed you've been looking for an 2006+ R6 :3. Also how the hell do you go from having 4 bikes to basically a bunch of parts and a frame?

Best values always seem to be the ZX6Rs around the bay area, everyone asks at least 1000$ more for a CBR/R6/GSXR600.

Whats with the value of the 03-06 generation CBRs? I mean they were the heaviest, not the most powerful, but people are asking like 5500$ for a 2004.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

Are you getting a 600CC or going for a literbike? I've noticed you've been looking for an 2006+ R6 :3. Also how the hell do you go from having 4 bikes to basically a bunch of parts and a frame?

Best values always seem to be the ZX6Rs around the bay area, everyone asks at least 1000$ more for a CBR/R6/GSXR600.

Whats with the value of the 03-06 generation CBRs? I mean they were the heaviest, not the most powerful, but people are asking like 5500$ for a 2004.

600. No desire to go in the really deep end. I really want to ride a 600 rather than an SV, I know that tires are going to get expensive fast on the 6...but that's just how it goes. :) It'd be nice to be able to finally pass some people on the gas.

The ZX6Rs are the best value, but the problem with them is that they got revised ever 2 years like clockwork over the last few years so that factors into the spares market, plus the R6/CBR/GSXR are way more common in the paddock so support and extras if I don't have them are easily had for the R6. The GSX-R has only had cosmetic changes since 06, most R6 parts are the same since 06, CBR has been unchanged since 07, so that's a huge factor for me.

As to going from 4 bikes to 1...well, the fiancee bought her first new car (2011 Ford Fiesta), commuting on the bike didn't work for her, and the ZX9 was never really street rideable, my DRZ got parted for racebike money, and the 4th bike was always just a project.

Those generations of CBRs "Hold their value" so people get really stupid about selling prices but they don't sell unless they get down to the 3-4k range.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Aww, I wish you'd kept the DRZ a few more months. That's exactly the bike/price I'll be looking for when I get my taxes back. I would have felt comfortable buying it from you long-distance because I see how you maintain your bikes, and it would have been a nice ride back to Oregon :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Aww, I wish you'd kept the DRZ a few more months. That's exactly the bike/price I'll be looking for when I get my taxes back. I would have felt comfortable buying it from you long-distance because I see how you maintain your bikes, and it would have been a nice ride back to Oregon :(

Sorry man :( I unfortunately needed the money now to make sure I had cash and was ready for the racebike flood that happens right around now.

And on that note, I might be picking up a new racebike tomorrow. Details when things are more finalized.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Today I took a trip.

In typical CA fashion, it involved In N Out, sunny weather rain, and GSX-Rs missing essential parts.

Got up at 6AM, drove to Oceanside, picked up the bike, drove back, got stuck in traffic.

The stats on the bike are:

2500$
08 GSXR 600 frame/swingarm
07 subframe
Ohlins 20mm cartridges in the forks
Ohlins SDU-46 rear shock
Vortex Rearsets/clipons/fairing stay
Powercommander 5
Quickshifter
Factory Pro Velocity Stacks
Yoshimura R55 full system
Brembo 19x18 master cylinder
Bazzaz z-bomb
GPR damper

Also got some spares, some extra brake lines, all the stock parts, and an extra swingarm.

Just need to pick up an engine, sell off a bunch of the aftermarket stuff that I can't run in production, and I'm good to go for racing. Gonna strip it down, paint it some color, and have fun with it.

But no one cares about all those words, here's a picture:

Got my eye on an engine, may have this thing complete in a few weeks. Might do a trackday just to knock off the cobwebs and to break the bike in before the end of the year. It's a blank, race MSO frame, so no street riding on this one. It's probably for the best.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why no motor?

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
That price for all that stuff? gently caress the motor.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is your chance to do an electric conversion, converting both the bike and yourself.

Also, what in the hell is a Bazzaz z-bomb? Sounds like a Duke Nukem powerup.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Now all you need is a 2nd one

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Why no motor?

The seller had a built motor in it, and I'll be racing production, so a built motor disqualifies me.

Ola posted:

This is your chance to do an electric conversion, converting both the bike and yourself.

Also, what in the hell is a Bazzaz z-bomb? Sounds like a Duke Nukem powerup.

quote:

• Z bomb Eliminates Performance Restriction imposed on bike via stock ignition timing in lower gears
• Z bomb Improves Throttle Response
• Zbomb Eliminates Top Speed Eliminator on some bikes "allowing the bike to exceed 185mph"
• Z Bomb Will allow Gear indicator will function normally for gears 1-5 "will read 5th gear for both 5th & 6th"
• Zbomb Can be utilized by itself, or with aftermarket Fuel Injection controller.

Basically it just makes it so you get full power in all gears and removes the top speed limiter, which can come in handy if you're running really short gearing and the speedo is reading really high.

Spiffness posted:

Now all you need is a 2nd one

I'm working on it, damnit!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whenever someone asks me why I decided to go with the more basic GSX-R over the hyper cool R6, I will just point them at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120634325708&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Should have it sometime next week, I have no idea where the engine is coming from. It shouldn't take more than a weekend for me to bolt it in. Just need to pick up some exhaust gaskets and I'll be good to go. After that, I might hit a cheap break in trackday before the end of the year, toss some takeoffs on it and see how it feels.

Plans for the future are to install a proper (standard) quickshifter kit, and get it dyno mapped, and then start looking for a B bike sometime next year. The plastics are currently with a friend of mine who's redoing some shoddy damage repair that was done and then I'll paint it.

So with that in mind...suggestions on how I should paint it?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

...suggestions on how I should paint it?

Mottled grey with yellow accents:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
^^^^ Nah...

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Primo Itch posted:

^^^^ Nah...

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

Plans for the future are to install a proper (standard) quickshifter kit

If you've still got the pull sensor, just fab a rod and mount it to the case and shift lever like you do for YZFs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zenaida posted:

Some have long memories, I see. :v:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

If you've still got the pull sensor, just fab a rod and mount it to the case and shift lever like you do for YZFs.

I'd totally do this but you need a linear sensor, not a push type sensor to do it. :( You could probably make it work but quickshifters already seem to be wonky enough without adding any additional complexity.

I was thinking something a bit more basic, mainly because I'm a total scrub when it comes to painting stuff. I can probably get it ok, but fancy patterns are a bit beyond me. Also, the tank is OEM black, and I'm a little hesitant to go ruining a nice OEM tank, might try and find a crashed one to bondo up, or I may just say f it and shoot it all flat black.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do the warplane thing, but just flat olive green with invasion stripes. Invasion stripes are always classy.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Dazzle camouflage is the way to go. http://www.risd.edu/dazzle/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

So with that in mind...suggestions on how I should paint it?

YES

loving ORANGE AND TEAL GULF RACING LIVERY

Z3N PLEASE DO IT

edit: and instead of "Gulf" it says "Gixx". Or "Muff", I can go a lot of ways on this.

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 21, 2010

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

Some have long memories, I see. :v:

Basking shark with downs syndrome never forget

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ola posted:

YES

loving ORANGE AND TEAL GULF RACING LIVERY

Z3N PLEASE DO IT

Quotin' dis cuz I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Eh, Gulf livery is so done.

Dazzle would hide damage well when you drop it.

I like the idea of an aircraft shark nose motif on the front, too. Tip of the fairing painted red with the mouth on each side of the rad opening below. Would look like you put wheels on the nose section of a P41 and that is all kinds of rad.

• Locked thread