Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Everyone in this thread has such beautiful dogs :3:

I guess I should take some pictures of Fang(yes I named him Fang because I was 14 and stupid okay) if I can get him to sit still.

Edit: New page? Sorry, I got nothin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
I think Kaidan's hip is getting worse :( I'm not taking him on a walk tonight because it seems really stiff. He's definitely carrying himself differently than the past couple days.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

:stare:

Tendai posted:

That red female has the best facial expressions, they're cracking me up.

hahaha I know, she was just as crazy looking in person. :haw: It was kinda sad, though, when she got scared of Buddy, her eyes got even bigger.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the videos up, but I have a good excuse! I wound up taking Buddy to a video shoot downtown for a promo for a cable channel here, WCIU. :dance: Despite their generally crappy shows, they're actually a super dog friendly channel, and do all of their promo bumps with dogs from the area. You sign up to be on a list, then once a month they take a small group and e-mail them to come in and shoot. It's funny, because practically all of my in-laws' dogs have done it, and one of my friends. The commercials are shown all over Chicagoland, though! Here's a link to the page where they post all of them, Buddy's should be up on November 1st. :dance:

http://www.wciu.com/udog.php?section=vote

It's so much fun watching the other dogs, too, and I can't wait to see some of the spots with the dogs we saw. When we walked in, there was another, smaller husky walking out, then inside there was a cute little shiba (with horrible allergies, you should have seen her paws :( ), this awesome border collie/who knows what else mutt, a BEAUTIFUL GSD, and the absolute laziest pit I've ever seen. :3:

Also, rivals, I'm sorry to hear about Kaiden. :( Hopefully it's not getting too bad and he just had a bit of a sore day. Is it possible he was more active than usual yesterday, or the day before?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I was just about to say that Thor never sleeps in the Huskyball, then I see this:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Huskyball in training :3:

WolfensteinBag posted:

Also, rivals, I'm sorry to hear about Kaiden. :( Hopefully it's not getting too bad and he just had a bit of a sore day. Is it possible he was more active than usual yesterday, or the day before?

Now that I think about it he has been a little, I took him on an extra walk (just a short one though) yesterday and the day before. I'm really hoping it was an off day. I think I'm going to wait until we move to take him in to the vet so we can get a second opinion from a new one. Our vet is awesome but I feel like she isn't proactive enough sometimes so I don't think going in at this point would do any good.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

quote:

Huskyball!

I think I did this wrong... :j:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

^^^ This is how Thor USUALLY sleeps; I guess he got the vibe that I think that huskyball is AWESOME!! Then again, living in Florida, splayed out is probably the most comfortable way to sleep.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh, Koji :allears:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

EdsTeioh posted:

I was just about to say that Thor never sleeps in the Huskyball, then I see this:

:3: He might ball up better later on, I think right now it looks like his paws are too gawky for him to really curl up tight. :3: He's so cute!!

paisleyfox posted:

hahaha He looks SO stiff!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

paisleyfox posted:

Shibasprawl.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha He looks SO stiff!

Right? But he'll STAY THAT WAY for long periods of time, like he'll stretch and get stuck. Sometimes, dog, I don't know. :rolleyes:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

So we just brought home a malamute. I've never had anything other than 'primitive' breeds before so the idea of a dog who doesn't weigh whether or not its worth it to listen to you is kinda foreign to me. Grew up in rural Alaska (and by rural I mean rural Alaska) so having a dog who could think on the fly and not need the human to tell them what to do was a necessity, not a hassle. I had a malamute mix who saved my rear end more times than I care to really think about. RIP Jazz. You were the best dog.

Now that I no longer live in a former malarial swamp (gently caress you DC you poo poo hole) I can have malamute. yay! Meet Sitka:

squeaky bees are the best toys

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

leaf piles are her favorite thing

NILF training is the best thing ever, but even at 10 weeks (nearly 11 now) I can watch her turn over in her head whether or not she wants the treat enough to do what I'm asking. We kinda have "come" though honestly "cookie!" works better.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Is all I can say really.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:neckbeard: I LOVE mals, they're so big and fluffy! A friend in the rescue has one (just turned 9!) and she likes to woowoo whenever the Shibas run by her in their chase. Looking forward to more photospams of Sitka.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

We kinda have "come" though honestly "cookie!" works better.

hahaha That's too funny. I was just thinking earlier about how Buddy's recall command really is, "Buddy, here!" as in, "Here's something delicious for you!" haha

Also, you bringing up these dogs thinking on their own reminded me of something from going into the city yesterday. So for those of you who've never been in downtown Chicago before, it's nothing but traffic and sidewalk, and city blocks are LONG. So I'm walking Buddy down this nutcase area, keeping him tight next to me, even though he'd rather be running around like a maniac sniffing all these things he'd never seen before. Finding how to get into the drat place was confusing as hell, so after I FINALLY found and made it to the front of the building, of COURSE there's a sign saying to go to the rear entrance. :rolleyes: We wander around for awhile, and I'm in the back of the building, but it doesn't look at all like there's an entrance. At one point, Buddy COMPLETELY puts on the breaks. I'm already frustrated, and now my drat dog will NOT lift his head off the ground. I practically have to drag him forward for a good few yards before he finally starts walking with me again. We do another lap around the whole, giant city block, only to end up back exactly where Buddy put the breaks on before. Looking closer, I found this scary looking door tucked way inside a parking area that did not look at ALL like it would be an actual entrance, but sure enough, that's where we had to go in. Buddy was trying to tell me I was an idiot and going past where we were supposed to go. :3: I :love: smart dogs.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Is all I can say really.

This is so perfect. It's like bliss from seeing something so wonderfully cute.

auri
Jul 8, 2005
I have a Shar Pei mix. This thread has definitely helped me understand her a lot better. She definitely has the stubborn "gently caress you no" attitude from the primative breed in her. She also has... special qualities.

I'm not too sure what she's mixed with but I think it might be a deer. She... leaps. Have you ever seen a deer run through a field over fences? Ya she runs like that.

Also she eats bark and sticks like deer. She literally picks up sticks off the ground (or rips branches off trees) and eats them.

I hate her coat. I always thought maybe she was part lab because of all the shedding. No, the explosions in the spring and fall all make sense now. Her winter coat she looks like a completely different dog. I can also build more dogs out of her winter coat when it blows out D:

Sophie is a beautiful, dignified, classy dog. She is definitely a Shar Pei, guardian of chinese royalty.

On a serious note though, one thing that shar peis are prone to are skin problems and allergies. Unfortunately she does suffer from this, especially around her mouth and ears where her skin is quite loose. We've tried figuring out what she is allergic to by switching her food a few times and we know for sure grains and corn are the biggest culprit. I suspect something else though, but we can't figure out what. Her vets suspect an additive they put in dog food. Tea tree oil baths help a lot, and food with a fish base keeps the shedding and itchiness down. Unfortunately she's not the biggest fan of fish :( Right now she is eating Orijen poultry + fish blend, and a fish blend wet food in gravy a couple times a week.

Does anyone have any other tips for helping out her discomfort? I hate seeing my puppy scratch at her ears and mouth so much :( it makes me sad. So far the vet has just suggested benadryl but I don't want to dope her up all the time. Maybe someone knows an ancient chinese secret for helping dogs with chronic eczema?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Aww, what a cutie!

I do know that a lot of primitive dogs tend to be allergic to chicken. Koji is, as well as turkey, but duck seems to be okay, as well as raw so far as we can tell (some dogs are allergic to both cooked and raw.)

You said she doesn't really like the fish? Have you tried a red meat diet? I think Orijen makes a Regional Red (or is that Evo? I can't remember) or you might just try seeing if she'll tough it out with just the fish flavor. Koji likes lamb diets, but seems to love fish the best, so that's what we have him on, probably because it stinks. Though YMMV with the red meat diet, since I've also heard sometimes prims don't do well with whatever dye or something they put into the red meat diet foods. Again, this is all speculation as I've only heard through the grapevine and my dog loves fish.

Also, when did the itching start up again? Was it with a recent food or weather change? With the mouth scratching, I'm prone to think it's definitely a food rather than an environmental allergy (it's what Koji does.)

auri
Jul 8, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

I do know that a lot of primitive dogs tend to be allergic to chicken. Koji is, as well as turkey, but duck seems to be okay, as well as raw so far as we can tell (some dogs are allergic to both cooked and raw.)

We originally thought it was a poultry allergy but after removing that from her diet for a couple months we decided it's probably not chicken or turkey.

paisleyfox posted:

You said she doesn't really like the fish? Have you tried a red meat diet? I think Orijen makes a Regional Red (or is that Evo? I can't remember) or you might just try seeing if she'll tough it out with just the fish flavor. Koji likes lamb diets, but seems to love fish the best, so that's what we have him on, probably because it stinks. Though YMMV with the red meat diet, since I've also heard sometimes prims don't do well with whatever dye or something they put into the red meat diet foods. Again, this is all speculation as I've only heard through the grapevine and my dog loves fish.

Red meat actually made it a million times worse. Also the shedding OH GOD THE FUR EVERYWHERE. She wasn't a big fan of the red meat Orijen blend anyways.

We did try just toughing it out with the fish blend of Orijen but I felt bad for her... I wouldn't want to eat something I don't like every meal of my life, why should I make her? She would eat it, but reluctantly and it would sit in her bowl for an entire day before she would touch it. So I just supplement her kibble with fish blend canned food. It helps the shedding, but the itching continues.

paisleyfox posted:

Also, when did the itching start up again? Was it with a recent food or weather change? With the mouth scratching, I'm prone to think it's definitely a food rather than an environmental allergy (it's what Koji does.)

She has pretty much always itched. I can't think of a time she didn't scratch at her mouth. It's not getting worse or anything, it's just that I notice it more because I realize it's an issue. Both her vets and myself believe it's a food allergy since she doesn't do it any more or less with the season or after we move, and it's around the mouth. I tried a couple other brands of food in the past as well, such as Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Kirkland, and she was even on Kibbles and Bits while she lived with my grandparents last fall. I noticed the scratching LESS on the cheaper food, but her shedding was out of control and her coat felt greasy. Plus she got fat. Maybe I noticed it less because she was more active (outside on the farm) and wasn't laying around the living room with me all day.

Maybe it's just because she's a shar pei and she has all that gross loose skin around her face. She doesn't smell though so I don't think it's a skin infection. Inside her ears it gets kind of dry but I think it's just from scratching all the time. Slight redness around her bottom jaw, but no sores or bald spots, and no tenderness when I touch it. She loves it when I scratch her jaw and ears.

A couple benadryl does help her out, she NEVER scratches after I dose her. But she's so sleepy and dopey and I would hate to have to pump her full of drugs all day every day :( she's boring when she's on the 'Dryl, I like my retarded spaz better. But at the same time I don't want her to be uncomfortable all the time.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Have you tried any grain free formulas? I didn't see any mention of it but I may have overlooked something.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

(Psst, Orijen is grain free.)

Is it like, a definite discomfort scratching and something more than usual? Dogs do itch and I mean, who knows, maybe you just have an itchy dog? I dunno, I've kind of exhausted my knowledge of food allergies. I do have a friend who has a dog with big grain and environmental allergies. He went to a carefully measured raw diet and has done really well on that, but the hay fever still acts up and he'll chew his paws. He does get an allergy shot once a month to help with that, though, and he's been fantastic since starting on it last year.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Whoops! No one around here has Orijen so I've never even seen a bag of the stuff :ohdear: Don't mind me!

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

Cassiope posted:

Yep. With training and this:

....we bricked up the bottom of her crate. It completely defeats the purpose of having a nice foldable crate, and if I ever want to rearrange my room it will have to be without moving the crate. However, it prevents her from eating the plastic liner and therefore getting to the far-apart wires at the bottom. So yeah. Fun stuff.

As of tonight Freya has joined the brick crate club. Although in this case they are 12 inch concrete paving tiles. This became a necessity today when she flipped the plastic liner and tore chunks out of it while we were gone.

She seems to approve of her new 300 lb throne.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I think he's dead :ohdear:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well great now the wheels on the dogteam are going to be off balance :colbert:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha I :love: Kaidan. :3:

I still absolutely love that brick crate idea. I think it's just genius. Also, for dogs that are generally known to tell you "gently caress you, you can't control me! :saddowns: " it's like the ultimate "gently caress YOU, try getting out of THAT!" right back at them.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Tendai posted:

Well great now the wheels on the dogteam are going to be off balance :colbert:

Don't want your dogteam anyway. (no room for malamutes. :))

Anyone tried tether training for a primitive breed? We're trying it out right now and its been ... interesting.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Anyone tried tether training for a primitive breed? We're trying it out right now and its been ... interesting.

Hahaha, I'm guessing alligator rolls, screaming, leash chewing and giving you THE LOOK, right? Koji also likes to try to dig to China when tethered sometimes, though it's only ever on hard surfaces, like concrete or tile. He eventually gives up and passes out for lack of something better to do, though.

ETA:

Hey, auri, I just thought of something this morning. My dog and my friends' dogs get a salmon oil with their meals (one pump at one meal since they're smaller dogs) and we've found that it really does help out with the allergies. I know your dog doesn't really like fish, but maybe the fish oil would help? My friend has noticed when she forgets to give salmon oil to her allergy dog, he gets a little more itchy the next day.

I mean, nothing to lose, really, and it'll make your dog's coat even softer (as well as officially having said to help soothe itching). :3: We use the Grizzly Salmon Oil brand since it doesn't have the Ethoxyquin preservative. We just keep it in the fridge and Koji gets a squirt on his food in the morning.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 22, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Citizen Rat posted:

Once Sitka and Thor are old enough we will revamp the design :)

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

Hahaha, I'm guessing alligator rolls, screaming, leash chewing and giving you THE LOOK, right? Koji also likes to try to dig to China when tethered sometimes, though it's only ever on hard surfaces, like concrete or tile. He eventually gives up and passes out for lack of something better to do, though.

Whining and crying and groaning and pulling and THE LOOK and wrapping the tether around everything in existence and yeah. Good to know we're not doing something wrong. I was a little surprised at the amount of complaining given that she took to her crate so well. We're trying to get her used to inside since its all hardwood floors and she's less than thrilled about that.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah, it's just so funny. They can be fine until they realize a bit of freedom was taken away (can't go wherever they want even if they weren't going anywhere before) and they FLIP OUT. Because what if I want to go there LATER? Bunch of drama queens, if you ask me.

But regardless of the carrying on, continue to try to make it a positive experience with treats for coming when called to get tethered up, treats after being tethered and only let off when calm/relaxed. But I swear, everything is so tragic to them. :laugh:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

paisleyfox posted:

But I swear, everything is so tragic to them. :laugh:
This is so, so true. When I worked with huskies back home this was the primary characteristic. They lived such, such hard lives and if they didn't get what they wanted they were going to DIE.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

But I swear, everything is so tragic to them. :laugh:

I KNOW oh god. Everything is an enormous production. Getting brushed, being tethered, learning to walk on the leash (periodically we go in circles until she gets dizzy and just goes where I damned well want, dammit), all of it is the biggest drama that ever did happen.

We're having a problem with treats, actually. Despite the fact that she's a malamute she's not very food motivated. And we haven't really found a toy she likes above all else either. Pets and snuggles and playtime work but then she wants to go nappies so I'm trying to figure out what to motivate her with.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hi I'm still following this thread!

On the topic of huskyballs and shibasprawls: Barret will choose to sleep in either one of these positions depending on what day it is. It's always cute/hilarious!

Anyhow, I've been trying to teach him to ring the bell when he wants to go outside. I've done some training but he doesn't seem to get it. Currently he goes and scratches at the back door when there's a bell hanging two feet away. If we get near the backdoor then he starts to ring the bell, but if we're not around he just paws the door. It seems that he relates ringing the bell with opening the door, not with having to pee. I used to take the bell outside with me and ring it while he was peeing but he doesn't seem to get that either. I have run out of ideas on how to get him to relate having to pee with ringing the bell, anybody have any ideas?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

paisleyfox posted:

Hey, auri, I just thought of something this morning. My dog and my friends' dogs get a salmon oil with their meals (one pump at one meal since they're smaller dogs) and we've found that it really does help out with the allergies. I know your dog doesn't really like fish, but maybe the fish oil would help? My friend has noticed when she forgets to give salmon oil to her allergy dog, he gets a little more itchy the next day.

I mean, nothing to lose, really, and it'll make your dog's coat even softer (as well as officially having said to help soothe itching). :3: We use the Grizzly Salmon Oil brand since it doesn't have the Ethoxyquin preservative. We just keep it in the fridge and Koji gets a squirt on his food in the morning.

Seconding this. Our Eskie was super itchy when we first got her, rubbing up against walls and doors all the time. The vet said that it's common for dogs to have minor allergies that are not food allergies and he recommended an omega-3 supplement. We give her a pill every day and now she just itches like a normal dog now and then. And her fur is super soft. :D

Vino, how long have you been working on the bell? We've been using a bell for a couple weeks now and she's just starting to get the hang of it. If she doesn't need to go too bad, she'll just run to the door and look back. If we come by the door, she'll ring it. A few times she's really had to go though and she rang right away. I think if you're just consistent with having the dog ring the bell before going out (even treat her for it), it'll work, it just takes time.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

The Lapponians keep multiplying :ohdear:

(I'm only looking after him until he finds a permanent home. He's adorable and makes Pi and Rho act all horrified :3: )

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Rixatrix posted:

awwwww he's gonna get that moss! Look out moss!!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rixatrix posted:

The Lapponians keep multiplying :ohdear:

Don't you lie, that's a black bear cub :colbert: You had better send him here just so I can be sure.

(omgthoseears!!!)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cassiope posted:

awwwww he's gonna get that moss! Look out moss!!

I just showed that one to my husband and he said it looked like a praying mantis. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Want to pet that dog :3:

• Locked thread