Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just remembered an incident i had at walmart when I worked there a year and a half ago and was wondering if it was the normal procedure or not.

Basically, once spring rolled around the outdoor gardem center area and adjacent indoor area became home to several birds and their nests. Understandably they were seen as a nuisance since they poo poo on everything. However, around mid spring management decided they needed to go. Again, i understood their reasoning but the way they went about it seemed pretty messed up. They basically sought out an employee who'd do it and had him use a long stick to shove the nests off, killing or injuring all the baby birds that had since been born. Once I and a few other employees noticed it we forced him to stop but when i came back my next day they were all gone.

So, I guess that was sorta long when my question is about whether such a thing id legal or if songbirds like that are considered pests like rats or mice would be. Either way it seemed so heartless, but i guess that's retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

minusX posted:

They did for a while, and then released the new Wii bundles with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort and adding the black color. So yeah, they didn't lie(exactly) you just picked a wrong time to look for them.

:goonsay:

He said they had stopped production because they had too many out there and wanted to sell down first. If the jackass had said something about new bundles coming out, and the original wasn't available, I would have accepted that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Avalanche posted:

I dont know what to do at this point other than get the gently caress out. It is cheaper for the company to get written up for health issues, and slap on a quick fix for the next visit than it is to actually staff the place well enough to fix the problem for good.

I'm really sorry to hear that, it's complete and total bullshit. I hope you can get out soon. I understand if you just want to just leave the issue alone, but if you're mad and want to do something, there are other options that come to mind.

There is always the option of shooting a youtube video of the gross poo poo or taking pictures of all the crazy poo poo and posting it somewhere. You'd end up embarrassing the company and the local health departments.

Yeah, even if you have a friend register the youtube account while using a Tor client there's a good chance it would come back to you but the media blow back of being fired for "protecting the public" and "exposing lazy gov't workers" (as much as I hate that trope) might be worth it.

It's easy for me to say, "don't get mad, get even", and I don't want to guilt you into sticking your neck out. Hell if you were in the Seattle area I'd take the video myself while you stayed off screen. Just consider it. If nothing else, you'd gently caress them over as much if not more than they hosed you.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I work in a city well known for it's extremely prestigious university. Mostly this means that a good portion of our customers are students this time of year and most of them are really nice, appreciative people.

You get the odd one or two though that are self-entitled assholes who exist to be better than you.

So in my store we have a deal that is when you buy a laptop you can get Norton 360, Microsoft Office 2010 and a bag for £99.99. When this deal came on it was about a saving of £71 so we had POS out for SAVE OVER £70 with the total seperate selling price and the price the deal was set at. A few days ago they fiddled with the selling price for the bag so the seperate selling price went down. But whomever was in charge of rewriting this poster didn't edit the SAVE OVER £70 part. So the seperate selling price is now £169.97, down to £99.99 with the deal. So you actually save £69.98.

So a customer is staring at this poster with the strangest look on his face, as if he was straining really hard to poop or something. I honestly thought he was in pain. He was a tall guy, younger than me, skinny, with slicked-back hair, smart glasses and a snappy pair of trousers, shiny shoes, a loosely buttoned shirt, and a university hoodie slung over his arm.

I come up to his side to ask him if he is ok and is there anything I can do for him? He turns his head slowly, looks me up and down and says. "Did your people know that technically this poster is incorrect?"

I blink and look at the poster. Initially, I could not see the mistake and turn back to him. "I don't understand," says I, "which part is wrong?"

"Well," he replies, "your poster says save over £70."
"Yes, it is a very good deal."
"Well it is wrong. I just don't understand how your people could make such a mistake."

At this point I looked back and did a quick maths check and realised what he was talking about. He was still staring at the poster like it was performing a vulgar sexual act in the store. I just stared at him. I still cannot fathom why it was such a big deal. I think he took my silence as me not being able to work out what he was on about because he gave an laboured sigh.

"The saving is only £69.98."
"Yes I know. It must be a typo, I'll say something to get it changed."

Then his whole attitude changed, he thanked me curtly and then left.

I have no idea what the gently caress.

Operation Juicebox fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 20, 2010

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

Operation Juicebox posted:

I blink and look at the poster. Initially, I could not see the mistake and turn back to him. "I don't understand," says I, "which part is wrong?"

"Well," he replies, "your poster says save over £70."
"Yes, it is a very good deal."
"Well it is wrong. I just don't understand how your people could make such a mistake."

Best would be to go Ali G with the reply: "Is it because I'm black?"

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
A guy stopped me on my way to the back room a few minutes before I was supposed to leave asking for a book about "computer jargon." I was pretty burned out from moving several sections around and pulling a ton of returns today, so I didn't quite grasp what he was looking for. After a while I finally realized he wanted a computer dictionary, but we don't have any in stock right now. I went to see if we could order one, then showed him the most recent one that was actually in stock. He wanted all kinds of information that we couldn't get, like how concise the book was and what kind of feedback it got, but whatever. He decided he wanted to order it, and per our new policy I took a 50% deposit from him. After I rung him up, I gave him his credit card receipt with a cheerful "there you go!"

:argh:: "There you go"? Whatever happened to "thank you for your business"?
:confused:: Um...
:argh:: I'm getting this all the time now! Why do people always say "there you go" instead of "thank you"? No, I really want to know!
:confused:: I... I honestly can't tell you. I was going to say "thank you and have a nice day" in a second.
:argh:: I just want people to say "thank you!" Is it really that hard? It's nothing personal, I just want to know!
:qq:: I just wanna go home.

Luckily the two women behind him were very nice to me afterwards and told me to take a deep breath and not to worry since he was a pedantic rear end in a top hat. He was almost as bad as the guy who insisted the college who gave him a parking ticket for trespassing while he was obsessively searching for information on Henrietta Lacks was linked to al-Qaeda.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Norton 360

I feel so dirty every time someone asks me to sell Norton to them. :(

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

The five stages of the grocery career.

It started when I got hired in high school. "Bagging groceries isn't that bad! There are only a few bad people! Only 3 months left till I graduate high school!"

I had been there a whole year when I was promoted to utility clerk/cashier. "Man, gently caress this place! I wish it would burn down. I hate everyone in this rancid shithole."

My 3rd year there I was mostly through community college. "Well, I'll just stick it out, I've only got 3 more months left! If I stay just a little longer I can get that raise!"

At university I started working at Safeway right after I left the other place. Misery set in. "I don't wanna go out, I'm too tired. I don't wanna go to the gym. I don't even feel like eating. I'm burnt the gently caress out."

Fresh out of real college, and the economy is in the shitter. "gently caress it, it pays the bills. Having a roof and a car and DirecTV is nice. Could be worse off, I suppose."

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
Best Buy goon checking in!

This week, we had 3 men steal 10k worth of electronics (mostly iPads). They managed to steal them when the floor was overstaffed. Oh, and they stole them all out the front door. Over the period of an hour. Yes, 10k worth of goods walked out the front door. With not ONE of our brilliant sales associates catching it, nor the loss prevention dude sitting at the front entrance. Nobody even noticed until nightly counts were done. :smith:

There goes everyone's bonus this quarter :(

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Is it seriously that common for customers in a line to get pissed at the cashier when the customer at the front is doing something stupid like using a check or arguing about coupons? For my whole life I've directed all my rage straight at the customer. If I'm sighing loudly it's not aimed at you, don't worry!

Where I live now there are no checks and the tills are all automated so you just stick the bills in all at once and dump the coins in and it spits out the correct change. I forgot checks even existed until I read this thread, filthy horrible things.

chubican
May 3, 2009
Thank God I don't have to do retail anymore! Honestly, when it comes to retail, if you look back on most of the crap you have to deal with, individually it's not really all that bad. It's simply the volume of it you'd deal with in a day. A rude jackass customer every once in a while is annoying, but manageable. Working 8 hour shifts dealing with them every single day gets you fantasizing about murder over the pettiest of gripes, possibly on customers who don't really deserve it. I can only dream that such experience will one day help me become as best of a boss as I can~

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Nothing wrong at all at working for a retail company...as long as you're at corporate, then the bullshit rules don't apply. :dealwithit:

e: its me, im the guy from corporate

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 21, 2010

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Kaninrail posted:

I feel so dirty every time someone asks me to sell Norton to them. :(

I know. Unfortunately selling Norton (as opposed to any other antivirus) is the only software that contributes to my commission.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I know. Unfortunately selling Norton (as opposed to any other antivirus) is the only software that contributes to my commission.

Wow, that is just the worst policy.

Ok, maybe not the worst, but still.. it's like an HMO forcing doctors to prescribe herpes :(

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Aye. I have to make a certain amount of profit per hour to qualify for commission. Theoretically I could do this by putting a shitload of travel adaptors or something through the till but I'd have to put like 3,000 or so through per shift because the best way to earn the profit I need for my commission is through 'KPIs'.

This means if I sell a laptop I need to sell a bag, Norton 360, Microsoft Office 2010 and the insurance with it. That's it. That's all that counts towards my KPI. If I do not earn enough points in my KPIs I can kiss sweet goodbye to any extra money. If I sell a TV I have to sell a bracket/stand, insurance, HDMI lead (and only the expensive Belkin ones count). So if I can sell Norton to a customer I will.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
as a non computer geek kind of guy, why is norton have such a bad rap?

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Supeerme posted:

Back in the day, doctors used to give patients with syphilis little pills made of mercury. However, the symptoms from the mercury poisoning were often as bad as the symptoms of the syphilis.

Norton is kind of the same way.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Supeerme posted:

Norton software has a history of weaseling into almost every single part of the system - to the point where Symantec had to issue SUPER-uninstallation software beyond the normal uninstall package, and even that doesn't work reliably.

On top of this, Norton products were notorious for sapping system performance and interfering with the system at the driver and socket levels, and in some cases even the kernel level. Add in ignoring (or simply not implementing) whitelists - regardless of whether or not the package was remote-managed, as in a corporate environment - and you have a recipe for disaster.

This has been mitigated as of late, but is by no means gone.

Not-Good-With-Computers Version: It worms into everything and generally gums up the works to a cost well beyond its price or value, sometimes even if you can manage to pull it back out of the computer.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
If you read the care instructions on the tag for your comforter, you'll usually see that it says to use a large-capacity front-load washer, or maybe to use a "commercial washer". This doesn't mean to just go to a laundromat and stuff it into a regular top-load washer, it means find a big enough front-load washer in which to put it. There's a good reason for this, you see -- not only will the big washer actually get your blanket clean, but putting in a small washer will overload it and might set it on fire. Why yes, this did happen today at my store! Why do you ask?

There's nothing quite so disturbing as seeing smoke pour out of a washer as the belts build up friction. If not for the kind Spanish-speaking gentleman letting me know something was wrong, I probably wouldn't have caught it in time.

(Edit: We've also got signs over every bank of regular washers specifically saying NOT to put comforters/quilts/heavy blankets in them, because it can damage the washers and the comforters. But do people read signs? Oh no, they never do...)

vortmax fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 22, 2010

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Aye. I have to make a certain amount of profit per hour to qualify for commission. Theoretically I could do this by putting a shitload of travel adaptors or something through the till but I'd have to put like 3,000 or so through per shift because the best way to earn the profit I need for my commission is through 'KPIs'.
Man gently caress Key Performance Indicators. I don't really have to deal with them but I feel for everyone who does.

vortmax posted:

But do people read signs? Oh no, they never do...
No matter how many you point it out to. :eng99:

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008

TheBandOffice posted:

This week, we had 3 men steal 10k worth of electronics (mostly iPads).

H-how does this happen? I've worked in an Office Depot before, and we've had some high-end merchandise (that stays in the back or behind glass) end up missing, but 10k? That's, what, equal to 20 iPads or so?

Sorry to hear about your bonuses though. It really sucks when poo poo beyond your control makes you look bad.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I knew today was going to be a bad day when a lady called corporate in order to argue whether or not lights with decorations at the tips counted as decor and therefore were eligible for our 50% off decor sale.

Within the first 30 minutes of my shift.

Oddly enough, I don't hate the coupon devil anymore - just detached...well, detachedness. I tried asking her her name in the guise of "Say, you come in here all the time! It feels weird not being able to say "Hi, <name!>"

She giggled but didn't give me a name. Which, given what she writes on her coupons as pseudonyms (VSP Customer? What is she, a bottle of cognac?), shouldn't surprise me.

Of course, then I find out that my boss wants me to rescan every bottle of booze into our inventory again because it has to be done before I leave...and then he goes and deletes the booze inventory so I can start on a clean slate.

Which still isn't as tedious as when I spent forty loving minutes helping a customer through ATT's prepaid-phone customer service trying to figure out why the prepaid card he bought wasn't activated.

Except I don't speak Spanish, so I had to relay everything through my non-technically-skilled coworker.

It turns out that 1-the phone number he thought he had registered with the phone was the wrong number in the first loving place and 2-he bought the wrong goddamn prepaid refill card.

:suicide:

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009
Each one of them entered/exited the building about 7 times..

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Today is the last day I will ever work a retail job. :knocks on wood:

I dare a customer to cross me today. I start my new office job Monday and I can hardly wait.

Seriously the past two shifts I've worked, I've dealt with a rogues gallery of retarded and stupid customers that seem to have some sixth sense and know I'm on my way out so they ramp up the stupid to unbearable levels.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

quote:

Norton stuff

oh right. I had a laptop that came with it pre-installed. I couldn't install Mcafee on it thanks to that.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Supeerme posted:

oh right. I had a laptop that came with it pre-installed. I couldn't install Mcafee on it thanks to that.

Why would you want to?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Anything's better than Norton! :v:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

This means if I sell a laptop I need to sell a bag, Norton 360, Microsoft Office 2010 and the insurance with it. That's it. That's all that counts towards my KPI. If I do not earn enough points in my KPIs I can kiss sweet goodbye to any extra money. If I sell a TV I have to sell a bracket/stand, insurance, HDMI lead (and only the expensive Belkin ones count). So if I can sell Norton to a customer I will.
One thing I learned working Radio Shack is never ever to trust the sales person. It's not that I blame the grunts in the isles or at cash register themselves but management will drill into them to sell certain products and accessories that are huge wastes of money, and some clerks will do everything from repeat the company written sales pitches, to creatively stretch the truth, to using out right lies, in order get extra money and avoid being humiliated by store mangers. And again I don't blame the clerks,I've been there to, it's entire chain of command all the way up the corporate overlords who command this bullshit.

Needless to say I've learned the importance of doing homework before buying anything over a hundred bucks especially if it's bought in a brick and mortar store.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
There's an Indian guy who has come into Bed, Bath, and Beyond at least 4 times now and asked me each time if we have this one recycled green coffee mug in any color other than green. Every time I tell him it's the only color we have it in and I've never seen it in any other color.

I wish I knew why he keeps asking. I can only assume he thinks I'm lying, and every time he sees me, he believes I'm a different guy who won't lie to him. Today after I told him it was the only color the cup came in, he follows with: "So you're expecting a lot more colors soon?"

And then he asked me if the cup was a boy or girl color. Me: "Well since it says recycled on it and has stickers about being green, I'd really think it's whoever wants to buy a cup and say they're being green... so boy or girl."

Him: "No. I do not think this is a unisex color. It can't be unisex." :confused:

Edit: Also I feel really bad, but working retail has made me become pretty prejudiced about Indians in retail. More than 9/10 of each of them always starts huge disputes over using coupons. When I was at Office Max I had one threaten to punch me in the face if I didn't give him some packs of paper two for the price of one (because he moved a sign from one pack of paper to another, I know this because less than a minute before he went down that aisle, I made sure all the signs were in the right place... I always checked that section constantly because we had so many customers that would rearrange signs and scream about how the prices weren't coming up right. If you caught them in the act of moving signs they said our signs were confusing and would tend to throw them to the floor or something saying they had no idea what cost what because of it)

Also at least once a month I end up with 1 or 2 Indian customers that insist we've let them use 3 "$10 off $30 purchase" coupons all on one $99 item before. And they will argue this with you for 10+ minutes. It doesn't matter if the store manager himself comes and tells them. And THEN they will go do it to some other employee.

My favorite / one of the first ones:
(about 10 minutes of this have gone on, I called a manager over after about 8 minutes of it because I was about to flip out on her)
Me: We can't even do it on the registers, if I try to use more than 1 coupon per item it doesn't even give an option for a manager to over ride it."
Indian Lady: "NO MY FRIEND BOUGHT A $200 VACUUM LAST WEEK AT ANOTHER STORE AND THEY LET HER USE 6 OF THESE COUPONS! I SAW IT AND THE RECEIPT I KNOW YOU DO IT!"
Manager: Tell us what store and employee did this so we can fire him right away.
Lady: I'M SORRY NEVER MIND I WAS WRONG!

2 minutes later I see her and her husband: "We don't want to mail in this $10 rebate (note: for a $20 item), can we just give it to me right now?"

No. Because like all the other Indians that come in and scream at us for coupons, you'd just return it for full price without a receipt then buy something else. Probably the same thing to get $10 more from another rebate. And you'd use $5 coupons both times. Ugh.....

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 23, 2010

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Just reading through old stuff after a long night at work, wanted to comment after reading this one:

UndergroundHero posted:

The grocery store I work for just went under a huge change where tons of product was moved to different aisles and sections of the store. The store is located right across the street from a massive retirement community, so we get tons of old folks in our store (actually, since I've been there, we've had a few people keel over and die in our store, crazy).

Old folks do not like change, they flat out revolt. Everyone's been telling me horror stories about customer complaints and arguments, so on and so on. I've been lucky to avoid most of it, I'll get the random bitching but nothing fierce... until the other night.

Not quite a story about an old person or even so much of change... but for some reason this reminds me of when Linens 'n Things went out of business. LnT stopped taking their coupons during their liquidation sales. BBB decided to keep taking their coupons while they were still open... and then as some sort of thing to be nice... we continued taking their coupons for something like 2 months after LnT went out of business.

At some point about 3 months after this I had some lady come in with like 40 of their coupons. She searched through her folder and pulled out a "20% off entire purchase coupon" from Linen's 'n Things.

Me: Sorry, but we can't take the Linens 'n Things coupons anymore.
Her: What do you mean? You take all your competitors' coupons.
Me: We do, but Linen's 'n Things has been out of business for almost half a year now.
Her: But you're still supposed to take competitor's coupons.
Me: You're right... But they aren't competitor's anymore.
Her: ONLY BECAUSE YOU PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS! How dare you put them out of business and refuse to take their coupons. That isn't right that you would do that!
Me: :confused: We took their coupons for 2 months after they closed down completely. 2 months before that they didn't even accept their own coupons anymore. I can call a manager over about it if you want to.
Her: They...... didn't? Oh. Nevermind. Can you throw their coupons away for me? I'll just use the coupons I have for your store on this instead.

I think she gave me about 50 coupons from LnT. :stare:

Edit: Also it's not like the LnT was hard to reach. It was right across the street from my store. With better parking. She just apparently never shopped there?

Also sorry for the double post, I just wanted to post something I was reminded of. My original thought was: "I'll just keep it up and post later," and then apparently I forgot that. I guess at least these 2 posts are different.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 23, 2010

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
I remember when I used to be happy that Thanksgiving and Christmas were coming up, but retail sucked the joy right out of that. All I can do is dread the rush of idiots from out of town :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Strawberry posted:

I remember when I used to be happy that Thanksgiving and Christmas were coming up, but retail sucked the joy right out of that. All I can do is dread the rush of idiots from out of town :(

No. Don't talk like that! If you give into despair, THEY WIN!

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Strawberry posted:

Ugh...yes. I dread holiday season now. There's nothing enjoyable about it.

Last Thanksgiving:

Day before Thanksgiving: Worked 3PM-2AM (had to stay late after the store closed to clean up and get things ready for Black Friday.

Thanksgiving: Drove home after work, got home at 3:45AM. Woke at 9AM to start Thanksgiving stuff.

7PM, drive away from home to go back and get ready for work. 11PM: Show up at work and get ready for working midnight shift.

Ugghhh. And no time and a half pay for any of it. I love that there is no day or anything in the entire year (short of overtime pay) that gets you time and a half pay. And aside from say... Thanksgiving and Christmas... you could work 8+ hours every holiday of the year. So wonderful.

Office Max was awful, but at least when they made me work 13 hours on some minor holiday, I was given time and a half pay for the whole day. I wouldn't be surprised if BBB started making us work Thanksgiving and Christmas for the same pay too.

pheez
Jun 9, 2006
I worked almost 3 years at a grocery store, one year being the only overnight cashier, and I'm about 3 months into working at a clothing store so I have plenty of stories to share but there's one thing that's been coming up a lot lately that I can't stand.
It's when a customer tells me, and it's usually after the transaction is over, that I overcharged them for something. I didn't overcharge them anything, I scanned a bar code, and a price came up on my screen. Anything besides the act of scanning has nothing to do with me. And it's always the way they say it, like I'm exacting some sort of revenge against them.
It's definitely not the worst I've encountered, not even close. I just hate it when they get all snarky on me.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
God...I work at a major Arts and Crafts store, but I can't actually mention the name anymore. We were all railroaded into signing some lovely "media agreement" that basically tries to tell us that we're not allowed to say anything negative, dishonest, grumpy, upsetting, worrying, defaming, or mildly irritating about the company, the coworkers, the customers, or our particular store. This "media agreement" supposedly covers all social media sites, chat rooms, forums, boards, blogs, and private online websites. We can also be punished "up to and including termination" if they somehow magically find out we did it...

...:psyduck:.

I wasn't sure it was SANE, so I haven't signed it yet. I told the little bastards I'd read it over the weekend. Here's a hint, though; I do custom framing.

I don't hate the customers so much, but I absolutely HATE some of my coworkers. One of the other people that works in my shop with me, whom I simply and sarcastically have named "Wonderboy", is perhaps the worst, least stylish, most numerically dyslexic person I've ever met. I'm not sure why the management thinks that it's a good idea to let him work with numbers and colors and building stuff when I come in for my usual closing shift to glue and trash everywhere, mangled frames, three mats he mysteriously damaged, and two reorders that I have to call the customer to fix and then do because he just "doesn't have time".

:argh: And no, WB, I will not put your reorders under my name. No, that's not how it works. If I did that, I would get the bad mark for the reorder. Oh, what now? You didn't know? Of course not. :downs:

And QUIT WORKING ON MY ORDERS. Oh dear jesus you can't even level things, and the one time you thought you were helping by trying to sew down a christening gown for a shadow box you actually tore the hem out a bit somehow. That dress was from 1960 you retard. You were lucky that I knew the customer and that I'm the daughter of a seamstress- it looks fine now, no thanks to you, and she got a few nice apology coupons.

Of course, they'll never fire you, because you're there in the morning and make 900 dollar sales. A third of which get either reordered, returned, or screwed up somehow. I've started hiding things from you in the cash office and writing "WB, please don't touch this. I can do it. :3: " on my work orders like I'm employed alongside a kindergarten student. You're twenty-seven and supposedly you've written a novel- how can you not know where 3/8's is on a ruler, and how do you think that yellow looks good with neon blue polka dots?

EDIT: Also- loving quit talking to me in that patronizing, oh-poor-you voice. I'm only three years younger than you and you are NOT my father; don't call me 'honey'. I don't respect being spoken to as if I'm some child you're babysitting.

Sorry for all the words, guys. :smith:

Also- your banner works! I'm glad I found this thread.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 23, 2010

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Freakbox posted:

God...I work at a major Arts and Crafts store, but I can't actually mention the name anymore.

It sure sounds like you work for the same company I do, but I've never heard anything about a "media agreement." Maybe our store manager just hasn't gotten around to telling us about it. I guess I won't mention it by name just to be safe, but I definitely did in the last thread.

I also work in custom framing, and things are starting to fall apart in our shop. Late orders are piling up because, other than myself, no one will actually work on assembling the frames. There are three other people in the framing department, and each one has a different reason for not getting any orders done:

The first is the frame shop manager. She insists that it's not actually part of her duties to put orders together, instead delegating that to the rest of us. When I tell her that we really need her help anyway because we're falling so behind on orders, she just says she doesn't have time and lists off other things the store manager has her working on. I sympathize that she has so much to do, but as the shop manager she should be trying to do something about our late orders.

The second is our own version of "Wonderboy" but not as bad. Mostly he's just kind of lazy, and if the shop manager doesn't tell him or leave a note telling him something specific to work on, he will spend his shift doing nothing productive. The orders he takes are almost always wrong somehow, and on the rare occasions he puts a frame together it will be really half-assed.

The third person is actually pretty great! Too bad the store manager always schedules her to work on the sales floor or the registers for some reason, and she works in the frame shop maybe one day out of the week.

The end result is that I do maybe 60% to 75% of our frame assemblies myself, and I just can't keep up. It's really depressing when I have a few days off and I come back to work only to find that no orders were completed at all while I was gone, and now a bunch of them are either late or due the next day. And then the store manager criticizes me for spending too much time "hiding" in the shop instead of going out to help customers, when I'm really back there busting my rear end trying to get this stuff done.

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
I work a form of retail, but I think I got off easy. I work in a fish and chip place in England, real local place, good regulars. I mean, I get the occasional nutter, like the guy who comes in every weekend, spends half an hour looking for what he wants, just standing around, directly in front of the till, and then orders the plain cod and chips.

However, there is one kind of person who really pisses me off. Kids who, after sucking on their fingers, or picking their noses, look through the entire tub of chip forks, often not even taking one. This isn't so bad. Replacing them costs almost nothing to the store, and takes barely a minute. It's the parents that piss me off. They can stand there, watch their kids to this, and then, not even caring about the unsanitary nature, don't reprimand their kids, and even complain about the minute delay when we replace them.

This isn't as major as some of the nutcases I pity you guys having to deal with, but when it happens every weekend, often multiple times, it really does get on your nerves.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Husband, wife, and young son in stroller come into the store. Husband proceeds to try clothes on just outside the door to the fitting rooms, bare-chested and trying on shirts. WTF is that? You're literally ten feet away from the fitting rooms, but you'd rather do it in the middle of the sales floor. Then, the son goes over to the underwear hanging on the wall, and starts flinging them everywhere. His father's response? "I need to get a picture of this!" :argh: Then I hear his wife complaining to him about how she doesn't like stores that have security guards, because, "I feel like they're always watching me."

People are so loving weird.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just had my last day in retail for now. It kinda sucks to be unemployed, but at least I have time to do my thesis. The day went fairly well, but goddamn some old people. I understand that you'll probably ain't that fast in the head anymore but here's what went down.

Me: That's 4,85 euros, please.
Old Man: (Empties all the coins from his wallet to his hand)
Me: It's not enough, but I'll take the 85 cents so I'll need 4 more euros.

He had a bunch of bills in his wallet, but he didn't do anything.

Me: I need 4 euros, please.
Old Man: Wha? Mh.. HMM!
Me: You got 2,80 on your hand that is not enough. I got the 85 cents right here and I need 4 euros more.
Old Man: Why? There's... 4 euros.
Me: No there's 2,80 (counting them again showing each loving coin yet again).
Old Man: ...

The rest of the queue is about ready to kill this dude so after 5 minutes of going back and forth with this he finally takes a bill out of his wallet and pays.

So everything's cool except he starts to leave the store leaving his stuff on the table. I tell him to take his stuff and he thinks really hard before he remembers that he actually bought something.

That just makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Mountaineer posted:

It sure sounds like you work for the same company I do

It rhymes with "cycles". Do you work there?

My least favorite customer is this woman whom I actually am not allowed to have any contact with. Backstory- my whole family is non christian. I wear a pentacle like many people would wear a cross, crucifix, star of david- it's a normal thing for me. I've honestly rarely gotten much guff for it aside from explaining to my high school principal that it's not a cult symbol, and that I and the other kids in the 'cult' could sue him for religious discrimination if he tried to make us take them off.

THEN there's this woman. She's older, richer, and she calls me "Hellchild". Seriously.

There's a note in her file stating that I can't call her, talk to her, help her, or work on any of her orders (she's a frequent return customer) because, as she puts it-

:byodame: "I don't wanna work with no Hellchild!! Don't you even lookit me! I can feel yer Hellpower...I will KNOW if you work with my stuff RaRgLeBlAhBlAhBlAh *foams at the mouth*!!!"

I really don't like Old Religious Crazylady. ORC makes me sad. :sigh:

And of course my store won't do anything about her, because our company is all about the customer and us being mindless peons that would do ANYTHING to make them happy, even if it makes us feel harassed or discriminated against. Whoo-Hoo.

Freakbox fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 23, 2010