Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Solomon Grundy posted:

You are not supposed to go faster than what would allow you to come to a safe stop. If you can't see what's under the bridge, slow down, so you can stop if there is something under the bridge. Quit crying and pay the ticket.
Exactly. He has basically admitted to committing the offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Today I was informed that my Department Chair told his class that I failed a class.

The context of the matter was that I appeared in a video interview for a project in that class and some one asked a question regarding if i was in the department. They were told yes but then asked why I wasn't in the Art Direction Class. The department chair said that I flunked/failed but we shouldn't be talking about that.

I am pretty sure that it is illegal to disclose grade information without my consent. Now that people know this who do I talk to what can I do? I got two written signed and dated statements from two students in the class but I can not disclose their names or they will get thrown under the bus for ratting him out I feel even if I do escalate the matter that it will result in the person who featured me in the video getting mistreated by the department chair just because it will look like she told me.

How can I possibly escalate this matter?

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

wigtrade.cc posted:

Today I was informed that my Department Chair told his class that I failed a class.

The context of the matter was that I appeared in a video interview for a project in that class and some one asked a question regarding if i was in the department. They were told yes but then asked why I wasn't in the Art Direction Class. The department chair said that I flunked/failed but we shouldn't be talking about that.

I am pretty sure that it is illegal to disclose grade information without my consent. Now that people know this who do I talk to what can I do? I got two written signed and dated statements from two students in the class but I can not disclose their names or they will get thrown under the bus for ratting him out I feel even if I do escalate the matter that it will result in the person who featured me in the video getting mistreated by the department chair just because it will look like she told me.

How can I possibly escalate this matter?

Go to the provost's office and ask them what their policies are regarding violation of student privacy by faculty

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Your school should have an HR track for escalating those kind of things. Usually in the provost's office. Take advantage, because it'll be way more successful for you than pursuing this legally.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

That would be a violation of FERPA but there is no private right to action in FERPA (doe v gonzaga I think) in any case go to the provosts office and If you want to take it further complain to the department of educations family policy compliance office. (note I am not a lawyer and this is not actual legal advice)

Texas Tech student
Aug 3, 2007

The only good thing about capitalism is that now you have to look at Lenin when you post.
Anyway, I am graduating with an IT degree in December. I have been going through the whole career fair process and doing drat good. I got 2 second round interviews. However one of these interviews is with an insurance company.

On the application it says this:

I was convicted of stealing a plate of fried chicken a few years ago. I was literally starving, had no food, no electricity, got evicted the next day. I did it out of desperation. I had no one to reach out too.

However, luckily, the law also says this:

I was only fined 200$. He was just going to write me a ticket. However; when the constable did a warrant check on me, I had 2 speeding tickets. So, I was taken to city jail for a few hours. Then, in what I guess happens when they already had to take you to city anyway, I was taken to county for a few hours. As far as I see it, that time served counts as time in jail. So, even though I would not have had any jail time, the other warrants made me spend a few hours in jail that keeps me from getting employed at an insurance company. Am I interpreting this correctly?

This is a class C misdemeanor, theft under 50$. Not that big of a deal right? Well apparently, unless I am reading it wrong, it bars me from employment at my dream job. See, theft is a crime of moral turpitude. It says something about the perpetrator's character, supposedly. There are just too many qualified candidates around to be hiring guys like me who have theft charges. I am starting to come to terms with that.

That leaves me with 2 options. I prefer option #1.

#1. Total honesty. Hope that you can get to the HR guy before he sees it. The problem with this is: The way I see it, I can not be considered for the job no matter what. They are not going to fly me down after I fill out this application. I can't even give them a chance to like me. However, I can feel good about taking responsibility for my actions and knowing that I am 'paying the price' standing on my feet for what I have done.

2. Hope it doesn't show up on the background check. I searched myself on the texas.gov 3$ search and nothing came up. Then I called a local private investigator that was sitting on a county courthouse computer and he pulled it up in about 2 seconds. This is where I need some advice from that guy that said he worked in the background checking industry. Seems to me, the company is gonna spend a little more than 3 bucks to search my name. They will at least search my known addresses, which amounts to 3 counties, and it will surely come up. About a 5% chance of getting the job.

Thing is: My career center lady told me it is SO BAD, that I would almost be better off not copping to it and just hoping they don't find out. That would at least give me a prayer. She seemed to think that if I tell the truth my chances are hovering around 0%.

It just feels so bad to get turned down during the final round interviews for a plate of fried chicken. I remember that day. I felt so alone, so broke, so tired, so sick, and so hungry. Sometimes it feels like the deck is stacked against the working student.

This happened 1 1/2 years ago.

So what would you guys do? Suck it up? Does anyone know of any other entire INDUSTRIES I will be barred from working in due to my hungry rear end stealing a plate of chicken?

Texas Tech student fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 20, 2010

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Texas Tech student posted:

Anyway, I am graduating with an IT degree in December. I have been going through the whole career fair process and doing drat good. I got 2 second round interviews. However one of these interviews is with an insurance company.

On the application it says this:

I was convicted of stealing a plate of fried chicken a few years ago. I was literally starving, had no food, no electricity, got evicted the next day. I did it out of desperation. I had no one to reach out too.

However, luckily, the law also says this:

I was only fined 200$. He was just going to write me a ticket. However; when the constable did a warrant check on me, I had 2 speeding tickets. So, I was taken to city jail for a few hours. Then, in what I guess happens when they already had to take you to city anyway, I was taken to county for a few hours. As far as I see it, that time served counts as time in jail. So, even though I would not have had any jail time, the other warrants made me spend a few hours in jail that keeps me from getting employed at an insurance company. Am I interpreting this correctly?

This is a class C misdemeanor, theft under 50$. Not that big of a deal right? Well apparently, unless I am reading it wrong, it bars me from employment at my dream job. See, theft is a crime of moral turpitude. It says something about the perpetrator's character, supposedly. There are just too many qualified candidates around to be hiring guys like me who have theft charges. I am starting to come to terms with that.

That leaves me with 2 options. I prefer option #1.

#1. Total honesty. Hope that you can get to the HR guy before he sees it. The problem with this is: The way I see it, I can not be considered for the job no matter what. They are not going to fly me down after I fill out this application. I can't even give them a chance to like me. However, I can feel good about taking responsibility for my actions and knowing that I am 'paying the price' standing on my feet for what I have done.

2. Hope it doesn't show up on the background check. I searched myself on the texas.gov 3$ search and nothing came up. Then I called a local private investigator that was sitting on a county courthouse computer and he pulled it up in about 2 seconds. This is where I need some advice from that guy that said he worked in the background checking industry. Seems to me, the company is gonna spend a little more than 3 bucks to search my name. They will at least search my known addresses, which amounts to 3 counties, and it will surely come up. About a 5% chance of getting the job.

Thing is: My career center lady told me it is SO BAD, that I would almost be better off not copping to it and just hoping they don't find out. That would at least give me a prayer. She seemed to think that if I tell the truth my chances are hovering around 0%.

It just feels so bad to get turned down during the final round interviews for a plate of fried chicken. I remember that day. I felt so alone, so broke, so tired, so sick, and so hungry. Sometimes it feels like the deck is stacked against the working student.

This happened 1 1/2 years ago.

So what would you guys do? Suck it up? Does anyone know of any other entire INDUSTRIES I will be barred from working in due to my hungry rear end stealing a plate of chicken?

I don't think any lawyer is going to advise you to lie on an application for employment. IT has plenty of jobs where that won't be an issue. Tell them the truth and see what happens, and move on to other places if they have an issue with it. The worst thing would be to get the job, then in a few years get a promotion or something to a position with more sensitivity, where they do a real background check on you and see it, then fire you for lying on your application.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The problem isn't that you did this, it's that no one is going to believe a sob story like that, they're going to assume the worst because of the just world fallacy while sympathizing to your face, and the time and effort to verify your story just isn't worth it in today's economy. Look for jobs that only ask you to declare felonies, there are plenty in the IT world.

Texas Tech student
Aug 3, 2007

The only good thing about capitalism is that now you have to look at Lenin when you post.
I know, I know. I could always claim that I didn't beilive I was guilty, but I didn't have the resources to fight it. I think that would look worse than a sob story though.

The thing is, these companies I am applying too are filled with people that have never been starving and on the street. They probably don't even know that is a possibility. All I have wrote is true. I was starving, I DID get evicted the next day. I didn't even have any pennies in my ashtray, and I WALKED up to the store to get the food.

My career counselor told me that I should have 'reached out to someone'. I didn't have the heart to tell her that there is no one to reach out too when you are in that position and you need to eat NOW. I weighed 130 lbs as a 5'11" male at that time. It really was _very_ bad. I now weigh 165. These people have never had to face that kind of adversity and probably don't understand.

edit: Is there anything I can do to mitigate the severity of this? I know the owner of the local stores and he is sympathetic. I could get a police report to prove my story, but how ridiculous is it going to look slicked back in my suit holding a copy of my police report..

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Is there supposed to be something where you say, "On the application it says this:/However, luckily, the law also says this:"?

The important thing to keep in mind is this: It is usually not HR policy to disqualify/disregard an employee because of a criminal record and is usually left to the managers/department to decide. It is usually HR policy to disregard/disqualify a person for falsifying their application (in obvious ways).

There are times and places where not disclosing that would be the right move. From what you describe this is not it.

By the way you were inconsistent in your post because you said "a few years" then said it was "1 1/2". If you're going to go the honesty route, which you should, be painfully honest, no one is ever as good of a liar as they think they are and HR/others find it extremely insulting to their intelligence.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

edit: Is there anything I can do to mitigate the severity of this? I know the owner of the local stores and he is sympathetic. I could get a police report to prove my story, but how ridiculous is it going to look slicked back in my suit holding a copy of my police report..

Dude, no one cares. That may sound harsh but there it is. Be honest, if they ask give the details of your *horrible decision* made in haste and show remorse.

You are trying to justify it and that is a massive no-no. (given through the eyes of an employer you may steal from and justify because you're about to be foreclosed upon)

Texas Tech student
Aug 3, 2007

I am not trying to lie to anyone on this forum. I guess I should have been more specific. See that is the thing with these things. My integrity is called into question at ANY AVALAIBLE opportunity. You just brought up the perfect example...

It's just so hard to let this job go... I was chosen out of 100s of people. I worked hard to get this far.

Now, on the application it says tell me the date, location, charge, and status of any crimes and has a little box to type poo poo in. I want to mention that it was only a fine and no jail time and I even want to go as far as to say it was a plate of food when I was starving, but I don't know if that is the time or place for that. Thing is, if I don't do it there, I don't think I will ever get a chance to explain myself. I think once they read that application, they will refuse to fly me down for final interviews and simply forget about me.

HR treats potential employees like poo poo when it comes to notifying them and not being loving weasels about telling you the truth and things you did wrong/right.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

I am not trying to lie to anyone on this forum. I guess I should have been more specific. See that is the thing with these things. My integrity is called into question at ANY AVALAIBLE opportunity. You just brought up the perfect example...

Take it easy. I was just being harsh to point out that, from my high horse, I see inconsistencies, and that is very bad for you as far as employment. If you are going to be honest be completely and *painfully* honest. Get it?

Yes HR treats everyone like poo poo. That's their job. Read what I said above again: It may be policy to automatically disqualify liars, but it probably isn't their decision if you are honest. That would mean to you that maybe your best course of action is to have a conversation with the hiring manager or whoever you interviewed with and explain that you do have a petty theft ticket on your record because (insert very apologetic and remorseful dialog here).

Also, I am not recommending this law firm or anything, I just found one that had the basic laws in lay terms with a link to the relevant code in texas:

http://www.recordgone.com/texas/criminal-record-expungement/

E: By the way I am sympathetic and it really sucks that data pooling/mining has made poo poo like that a life sentence but I am just trying to point you in the right direction for the best damage control.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 20, 2010

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I've read a lot of posts in this thread by people getting screwed by a landlord or by just someone they were subleasing (or subletting, I forget which is which) from. I have a little over a week to find an apartment and rent it, are there any quick tips I can use to try to avoid some of these problems?

(I looked for the landlord-tenant thread or whatever and I didn't see it in ask tell, so I apologize if I should have put this question there.)

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

I've read a lot of posts in this thread by people getting screwed by a landlord or by just someone they were subleasing (or subletting, I forget which is which) from. I have a little over a week to find an apartment and rent it, are there any quick tips I can use to try to avoid some of these problems?

Get a lease in writing. Bargain for the terms you want/can live with. Examine the premises before you lease, make a list of things you want repaired before move-in, and incorporate that list by reference into the leasing document.

Don't rent from someone you think is a weirdo.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Incredulous Red posted:

Get a lease in writing. Bargain for the terms you want/can live with. Examine the premises before you lease, make a list of things you want repaired before move-in, and incorporate that list by reference into the leasing document.

Don't rent from someone you think is a weirdo.

Never live next door to, above or below your landlord.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

Never live next door to, above or below your landlord.

I disagree with the use of "never," although I agree with the implication that living so close to your landlord may not be good. My wife and I rented from two guy dudes here in DC, and we lived in their basement in a teeny-tiny separate apartment. We lived there for four years - they were the best landlords ever and we now live a few blocks away and we remain great friends with them.

Prime Butt
May 15, 2005

Since the last page was full of traffic questions and I'm sure you all love them (forgive me), here's a situation:

A few weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket (VA § 46.2-870) in Virginia Beach, VA (highway 13, coming right off the Bay Bridge-Tunnel north) for doing 73 in a 55. Dumb, whatever, but it presents a bigger problem. I've read that Virginia and North Carolina have something called reciprocity when it comes to traffic violations. I actually live in North Carolina about five or six hours away from Virginia Beach. So first, while my offense wasn't reckless driving in Virginia, it is reckless driving in North Carolina and that's an automatic 30-day suspension of your license here. Second, I'm sure the insurance hit would be bigger for reckless driving than just a pedestrian speeding ticket.

I guess my big question is (and I'm already leaning this way), is it worthwhile hiring a Virginia Beach traffic attorney to fight this thing and would he/she reasonably be able to knock it down or get it dismissed? It's not possible for me to appear in court, and paying the fine would just get my license suspended, so I'm looking for alternatives here. Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Prime Butt posted:

Since the last page was full of traffic questions and I'm sure you all love them (forgive me), here's a situation:

A few weeks ago, I got a speeding ticket (VA § 46.2-870) in Virginia Beach, VA (highway 13, coming right off the Bay Bridge-Tunnel north) for doing 73 in a 55. Dumb, whatever, but it presents a bigger problem. I've read that Virginia and North Carolina have something called reciprocity when it comes to traffic violations. I actually live in North Carolina about five or six hours away from Virginia Beach. So first, while my offense wasn't reckless driving in Virginia, it is reckless driving in North Carolina and that's an automatic 30-day suspension of your license here. Second, I'm sure the insurance hit would be bigger for reckless driving than just a pedestrian speeding ticket.

I guess my big question is (and I'm already leaning this way), is it worthwhile hiring a Virginia Beach traffic attorney to fight this thing and would he/she reasonably be able to knock it down or get it dismissed? It's not possible for me to appear in court, and paying the fine would just get my license suspended, so I'm looking for alternatives here. Sorry if this is a really dumb question.

In Virginia, if your record is otherwise good, you can generally get the judge to give you traffic school - which you can do online and mail in the receipt. So if you hire an attorney to appear for you, s/he can go in with a copy of your driving record from N.C., as proof that you are otherwise a good driver, and request driving school. You could do this in-person and save the attorney's fees but you stated that you can't be there.

If your record in N.C. is terrible, keep this in mind: the trooper will present your case to the judge, and the trooper will probably only have a copy of your VA driving record, if you have one, and not your out-of-state record. So the judge won't know that your record is bad, and your attorney might be able to persuade him/her to give you driving school. This can backfire, too, though, because judges are sometimes reluctant to give out driving school to out-of-staters whose record is unknown.

What's your record like otherwise?

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

entris posted:

I disagree with the use of "never," although I agree with the implication that living so close to your landlord may not be good. My wife and I rented from two guy dudes here in DC, and we lived in their basement in a teeny-tiny separate apartment. We lived there for four years - they were the best landlords ever and we now live a few blocks away and we remain great friends with them.

You have cited the one and only time in the history of human development and achievement where living below your landlord worked out.

Before I went to law school, I ran the tenant-landlord hotline for a tenants' rights organization. Around 30% of all calls arose from tenants and landlords living too close together. I stand by my statement.

Prime Butt
May 15, 2005

entris posted:

In Virginia, if your record is otherwise good, you can generally get the judge to give you traffic school - which you can do online and mail in the receipt. So if you hire an attorney to appear for you, s/he can go in with a copy of your driving record from N.C., as proof that you are otherwise a good driver, and request driving school. You could do this in-person and save the attorney's fees but you stated that you can't be there.

If your record in N.C. is terrible, keep this in mind: the trooper will present your case to the judge, and the trooper will probably only have a copy of your VA driving record, if you have one, and not your out-of-state record. So the judge won't know that your record is bad, and your attorney might be able to persuade him/her to give you driving school. This can backfire, too, though, because judges are sometimes reluctant to give out driving school to out-of-staters whose record is unknown.

What's your record like otherwise?

My NC record is literally spotless on traffic violations (I've only been in one accident in-state and I was found at total no fault), and the only other traffic violation I've ever received was a minor moving violation in Chesapeake, VA (no right turn on red at some dimly lit intersection at half past midnight).

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

You have cited the one and only time in the history of human development and achievement where living below your landlord worked out.

Before I went to law school, I ran the tenant-landlord hotline for a tenants' rights organization. Around 30% of all calls arose from tenants and landlords living too close together. I stand by my statement.

I'll give you another - my friend owns a duplex in which she rents out the bottom suite to another friend. They've never had issues in over a year. NOW WHAT

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

eviljelly posted:

I'll give you another - my friend owns a duplex in which she rents out the bottom suite to another friend. They've never had issues in over a year. NOW WHAT

Just wait. It will blow up. You will see.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Solomon Grundy posted:

Just wait. It will blow up. You will see.

Nope. You're wrong. :colbert:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

Fair enough. I would put more weight on your experience with the hotline rather than my one anecdote.

My wife and I got really lucky with our old landlords.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Prime Butt posted:

My NC record is literally spotless on traffic violations (I've only been in one accident in-state and I was found at total no fault), and the only other traffic violation I've ever received was a minor moving violation in Chesapeake, VA (no right turn on red at some dimly lit intersection at half past midnight).

Well then, find yourself a cheap traffic attorney in Norfolk, tell him/her what you want him/her to do, and send a copy of your spotless NC driving record.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

EDIT: nvm

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

I want out of my apartment lease, I would appreciate if someone would tell me if I have any leverage in this:
My apartment is geared towards college students and it works where everyone is charged rent individually. My apartment had a vacant room, and they moved someone in with me (this is stated in the lease that they will do this.) He has a dog and no pets are allowed. When they first found out they threatened eviction and he weaseled his way out of it and told them he got rid of it. He brought it back after like a week. This cycle of them threatening/fining him and him taking the dog somewhere else for a few days has happened about five times now. It has become apparent that my apartment management has gotten tired of being on his rear end about it and will just fine him every now and then. I have stepped in this dog's poo poo and my living room smells like a dog and it's tearing up the apartment. Not to mention this kid is a mouth-breathing retard and a total slob. I have since found much better living arrangements and I want to move but my lease is only about halfway over. I know that legally you can get out of a lease if the management is not following the rules of the lease (no pets), but how open-and-shut is this kind of case? Do you think they'll fight me on it if I request to terminate my lease?

E: in TN

Socracheese fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 22, 2010

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
Rental stuff totally depends on where you live, but normally just because a landlord isn't meeting their obligations doesn't mean you don't have to abide by your own duties under the lease.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If you tell them the dog is making you look for another place, they're liable to just punt him rather than lose you, assuming they're not shitbags and you're a decent tenant.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

Socracheese posted:

I want out of my apartment lease, I would appreciate if someone would tell me if I have any leverage in this:
My apartment is geared towards college students and it works where everyone is charged rent individually. My apartment had a vacant room, and they moved someone in with me (this is stated in the lease that they will do this.) He has a dog and no pets are allowed. When they first found out they threatened eviction and he weaseled his way out of it and told them he got rid of it. He brought it back after like a week. This cycle of them threatening/fining him and him taking the dog somewhere else for a few days has happened about five times now. It has become apparent that my apartment management has gotten tired of being on his rear end about it and will just fine him every now and then. I have stepped in this dog's poo poo and my living room smells like a dog and it's tearing up the apartment. Not to mention this kid is a mouth-breathing retard and a total slob. I have since found much better living arrangements and I want to move but my lease is only about halfway over. I know that legally you can get out of a lease if the management is not following the rules of the lease (no pets), but how open-and-shut is this kind of case? Do you think they'll fight me on it if I request to terminate my lease?

E: in TN

You basically have to give them notice of the problem and reasonable time to cure it. From what I understand, you haven't been the one complaining to them about the dog - they've been acting on your own.

You have to send them a letter saying that this guy is in material breach of the lease, you rented the place assuming there would be no pets and they've allowed him to keep a pet, and if they don't kick him out you'd like them to terminate your obligations under the lease.

If they don't play ball with you then you might be able to leave and argue constructive eviction but it's risky and potentially time consuming. See if you can work a deal with them first. Most of all, get all your communications in writing.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Incredulous Red posted:

You basically have to give them notice of the problem and reasonable time to cure it. From what I understand, you haven't been the one complaining to them about the dog - they've been acting on your own.

You have to send them a letter saying that this guy is in material breach of the lease, you rented the place assuming there would be no pets and they've allowed him to keep a pet, and if they don't kick him out you'd like them to terminate your obligations under the lease.

If they don't play ball with you then you might be able to leave and argue constructive eviction but it's risky and potentially time consuming. See if you can work a deal with them first. Most of all, get all your communications in writing.

He could also theoretically try to pro-rate his rent after giving them notice. It's more likely to succeed than constructive eviction but it is also risky and won't change the dog problem.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I went to a friend of mines wedding today. I didn't find out about it until yesterday because they decided to do it at the last minute to avoid the girlfriend having to testify against her boyfriend, who is charged with assaulting her father. I thought the whole spouses can't testify against each other thing was some TV law that writers either made up or exaggerated for drama's sake. How iron clad is it that she won't have to testify against him now that they are married?
Oh, by the way, I live in Massachusetts, if that has any bearing on the matter.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

savinhill posted:

I went to a friend of mines wedding today. I didn't find out about it until yesterday because they decided to do it at the last minute to avoid the girlfriend having to testify against her boyfriend, who is charged with assaulting her father. I thought the whole spouses can't testify against each other thing was some TV law that writers either made up or exaggerated for drama's sake. How iron clad is it that she won't have to testify against him now that they are married?
Oh, by the way, I live in Massachusetts, if that has any bearing on the matter.

Spouses can testify against each other if they want, but typically courts can't force spouses to testify against each other. It's called spousal immunity or spousal privilege. This probably varies by jurisdiction, but it does apply in MA.

Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 233, section 20:
"...except in any proceeding relating to child abuse, ... neither husband nor wife shall be compelled to testify in the trial of an indictment, complaint or other criminal proceeding against the other"

heliotroph
Mar 20, 2009
Here's another lease-breaking question:

I JUST moved into a new apartment and am taking the place of a guy who left a one-year lease one month into the lease. I filled out an application for the apartment but have not signed the lease the roommates are on, or been asked to by the agency, or had a binding paper or verbal agreement with the agency itself. I have been here for 3 weeks and have realized I live in a pit of new crime and gang wars by stumbling across a murder/shooting scene that occurred 20 minutes before, en route to my house about half a block from the scene. Since then, I have discovered this is the 3rd shooting since August and the count of shooting victims on my street corner - not neighborhood - is now 10.

I want to get the hell out. So if I leave my roommates in the lurch (a lovely thing to do) would the onus to pay rent/find another renter fall on the original person who signed the lease? The agency has already threatened to evict us since this original signer did not pay the rent for October even though I had written him a check for the deposit and the portion of the rent for October from when I moved in until I got on his rear end, so I don't feel to bad about dicking him over.

heliotroph fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 26, 2010

WhatDoTheyKnow
Aug 17, 2007
I have a question about Employment/Labor Laws.
I live in North Dakota, which just so happens to be a 'Right To Work' state.
What the situation is, is recently I have been severely sick. I did get a doctors note excusing me from work for two days. I had fully expected to be back to work afterwards. Well, just so happens, I still was sicker than hell the day I was suppose to return back to work.

I had tried to contact my manager and was unable to. I did speak with my assistant manager who okd for me to stay home, but my manager would be the one who would need to cover my shift and she would get a hold of him.

My manager then sends me two texts that I will briefly describe;
Text 1: Im on vacation and youre going to get written up if you dont show up
Text 2: For every day you miss, you will be written up and fired. Denied any unemployment because Im on vacation and if I lose it Ill be pissed

So, Im completely shocked that hes behaving like this, and I call our District Manager. I have no idea what was really discussed between the two of them, but needless to say, she is on his side. I should have given at least 8 hours notice and that 'although his tactics are unconventional, he has a point'.

I end up going to the doctor to get yet another excuse and work the next two days not knowing what to expect. Today I look at the schedule, and see that my hours have been cut. I was working full time(anywhere from 40-50 hours a week) and now Im down to part time (25-29) hours for the entire next month. This means I lose my all my benefits.

I know this cant be legal, but does anyone know what my rights are, what I can do in this situation?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WhatDoTheyKnow posted:

I know this cant be legal, but does anyone know what my rights are, what I can do in this situation?

You need to talk to a local lawyer. Your hours getting cut may be more difficult to do anything about (relevant law probably governs retaliatory conduct only, if at all), but if you're actually fired for being sick with a doctor's note and then denied unemployment you have an incredibly strong claim.

King of the Cows
Jun 1, 2007
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?

Talibananas posted:

Spouses can testify against each other if they want, but typically courts can't force spouses to testify against each other. It's called spousal immunity or spousal privilege. This probably varies by jurisdiction, but it does apply in MA.

Massachusetts General Laws, chapter 233, section 20:
"...except in any proceeding relating to child abuse, ... neither husband nor wife shall be compelled to testify in the trial of an indictment, complaint or other criminal proceeding against the other"

In some states, the privilege may not apply to communications before marriage. Don't know if Massachusetts is one of those states, but the statute quoted above leads me to believe that she can't be compelled to testify against him at all.

But tell the friend that she made a great decision by marrying a guy who attacked her father. I foresee a long, blissful marriage.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

King of the Cows posted:

In some states, the privilege may not apply to communications before marriage. Don't know if Massachusetts is one of those states, but the statute quoted above leads me to believe that she can't be compelled to testify against him at all.

But tell the friend that she made a great decision by marrying a guy who attacked her father. I foresee a long, blissful marriage.

In Massachusetts, she can't be forced to testify no matter when the communication took place. If he is seeking to prohibit her from testifying, the communication had to have taken place during the marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatDoTheyKnow
Aug 17, 2007

baquerd posted:

You need to talk to a local lawyer. Your hours getting cut may be more difficult to do anything about (relevant law probably governs retaliatory conduct only, if at all), but if you're actually fired for being sick with a doctor's note and then denied unemployment you have an incredibly strong claim.

I just got done speaking with a lawyer, and pretty much Im poo poo out of luck. I can file for unemployment to make up for the hours and the insurance costs. Looks like its time for job hunting.