Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drittes Auge
Feb 9, 2005
I would like to start recording some of the music I play. Is there any way to get actual audio off of my keyboard on to my laptop without messing about with microphones? I have a USB midi cable, but up until now I've just used it to control midi to play instruments in ableton. I'd just like to get the sounds off of my keyboard as an audio file on my comp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a baby anime
Aug 14, 2010

by Ozma

Underflow posted:

If you signed already it's a bit too late now, but make sure you always have a lawyer with experience in the entertainment business examine anything you sign in the future. A record label is a company like any other, and will try to hold on to money as long as possible. Getting paid twice a year isn't bad at all, though. Just make sure you keep an eye on your affairs, incl. SACEM payments, publishing, etc. Unless you have a manager, in which case that's the person to keep a very close eye on... SACEM money, if any, should flow directly to you, though.

Also, there may be all sorts of details covered by actual law now, 'cause of (I think) the intermittents du spectacle thing a few years back.

thanks, I talked it over with them and they basically said that they would try to either pay me monthly or every few months depending, I basically said that I didn't have a lot of money right now and I was really hoping the royalties from the songs would earn me a bit of cash, which can go to new equipment that I need.

I was also informed that theres going to be two remixes on the album as well, but im entitled to 25% of whatever those remixes make.

a baby anime
Aug 14, 2010

by Ozma

Drittes Auge posted:

I would like to start recording some of the music I play. Is there any way to get actual audio off of my keyboard on to my laptop without messing about with microphones? I have a USB midi cable, but up until now I've just used it to control midi to play instruments in ableton. I'd just like to get the sounds off of my keyboard as an audio file on my comp.

get a midi controller

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He wants the actual on-board sounds from his keyboard.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I reckon a keyboard has an output for an amp, right? Get a recording interface with the right style jack and plug it in there.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Drittes Auge posted:

You can use your laptop's input, but make sure (in your software mixer) to set it to LINE, and keep the input volume fairly low for starters. For that side of the cable you'll almost certainly need a 3.5mm ('mini-jack') jack/phone plug. The other side of the cable can either be a regular 6.35mm (1/4") size jack or another mini-jack; it depends on your keyboard's output.

Mono/Stereo: You can take a stereo signal from your keyboard's headphones output if it has one, but your laptop input may be (probably is) mono. In that case, be sure to get a proper stereo->mono cable with the appropriate plugs on both ends.

To set your levels, slowly increase the volume on the keyboard side until you have adequate signal without distortion. If there's muted buzzing or crackling, take the software mixer's IN volume down a bit and add more volume on the keyboard's side. If there's downright distortion, do the opposite.

If you're confused, just post name/model of your keyboard and soundcard.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
A belated response on my part, but I wanted to thank everyone who convinced me look at something better than a synth or midi controller to learn on. I decided to save up for a bit and I'm eyeing the Privia PX-130 and Yamaha P-85. Any anecdotes regarding these models would be welcome.

I do have one other question though; Once I actually have the instrument, I want lessons. What are some things to look out for when selecting a teacher? I've had one music teacher my whole life and it was a miserable, fruitless experience. I know my gut and intuition will be a primary factor but I thought some piano goons could point out a few things to look for.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
Question for the audio people around here.

I have 2 stereo receivers just laying around. I have 2 decent sized speakers with 1 of them that would probably sound ok with a subwoofer. Well I have 2-12's in my car that I am going to pull out and hook to the receiver. The receiver doesn't have the red/black speaker wire hookups on the back for the sub, it has like 1 aux port for them.

And I don't think the 1 receiver would power the speakers and the sub. The other receiver I have does have the red/black speaker wire hookups on them for the subwoofer.

My question, is their a way to hookup the 2 receivers together with the sub on 1 receiver and the speakers on the other receiver? And then hookup an aux cable for input. I know nothing about audio.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Ok heres a small+dumb question.

I am in a band and we want to use an iPod for backing and a sampler with rca out. What cables should I be carrying to ensure that we can play most places?

I mean I have cables enough to set everything up into a PA for rehersals and stuff. But most gigs you use a snake from the stage into the house PA right? I just have this bad vision of turning up to play some crappy dive bar and the sound guy being all "welp, no rca inputs on the stage here" So what do I need, rca to 1/4 inch? RCA to XLR? Everything I can carry?

massive spider fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 6, 2010

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster

dorkimoe posted:

Question for the audio people around here.

I have 2 stereo receivers just laying around. I have 2 decent sized speakers with 1 of them that would probably sound ok with a subwoofer. Well I have 2-12's in my car that I am going to pull out and hook to the receiver. The receiver doesn't have the red/black speaker wire hookups on the back for the sub, it has like 1 aux port for them.

And I don't think the 1 receiver would power the speakers and the sub. The other receiver I have does have the red/black speaker wire hookups on them for the subwoofer.

My question, is their a way to hookup the 2 receivers together with the sub on 1 receiver and the speakers on the other receiver? And then hookup an aux cable for input. I know nothing about audio.

A simple crossover ought to do that.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-SUPERX-PRO-CX2310-Crossover?sku=182466

Three Red Lights posted:

So what do I need, rca to 1/4 inch? RCA to XLR? Everything I can carry?

Two of everything you can carry, plus a variety of end-adapters. Just in case. (Mostly you'll need Mini to 1/4" and Mini to 1/4"f to 1/4"m to XLR)

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 6, 2010

Jewbert Jewstein
Dec 4, 2007

Bring me a hard copy of the Internet so I can do some serious surfing
I'd like to start doing a lot more rock soloing practice on my electric guitar. What kind of strings should I buy (light, medium, extra light?, etc.) and where can I find some good background tracks to play over?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Strings are a very personal thing. It depends mostly on your personal style and how strong your hands are, as well as the exact sound you want. I like D'Addario Pure Nickel 10s. I play a lot of clean stuff as well, but I haven't ever had a problem getting a decent rock sound out of them when I wanted it. I think they feel good, they're easier on the frets than stainless steel, and they're cheap and easy to find. I think 10 is a good safe choice for rock, but some people use 9s or even (rarely) 8s. If you're tuning low you will want to consider 11s or heavier. Note that you'll need to recut the nut on your guitar for drastic changes.

My preference aside, most rock players favour some species of stainless roundwounds because of the added bite. D'Addario makes some of them too and I'd recommend them as a starting point. Ernie Ball Slinkies and Super Slinkies are also really highly regarded and come in interesting combinations of guage for players who want heavy wound strings and light plains, for example. I've also used DRs in the past and liked their electric strings pretty well (I used the Pure Blues nickels but I'm sure the steels are fine). Only issue I had with them was that they're somewhat pricey, I'm cheap, and the difference in sound wasn't huge.

In general, musicians now are absolutely spoiled when it comes to strings. The cheapest set of L&M brand lights is going to be of more consistent quality than anything the rock gods of the 60s and probably 70s had available. Just try out a few brands until you find one you really like. As your playing improves, you'll probably come to desire certain characteristics that will influence your taste. Okay, enough words from me about strings.

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

I'm trying to get East West libraries set up with my Logic install via Kontakt and I can't figure out how to do the 'round robin' instrument setup where you have different sounds for different velocities on notes. Right now I've got folders of files for strings being hit softly, stirngs being hit hard, strings goin all vibrato, but I can't figure out how to do more than one at once... :ohdear: help please thank you

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I recently moved into a place where I actually have room to set up my guitar/amp, which is fantastic, however I've realized that my amp is just too loud. Even if I turn it down as low as it goes it's still too loud to be playing at odd hours (which is when I usually play).

So naturally the first solution is just to use headphones, which I've been doing. However, I most often am playing guitar while I'm in my computer chair anyway, and I already use a modeling amp, so I figured why not just run the thing into the computer and do it all from there?

Anyway, I'm looking for something pretty simple, just a way to plug in my guitar to my computer and mess around with some basic recording software. I also have an old synthesizer that supports MIDI (though I think I'd rather just shell out for a new MIDI controller), so I'd like something that could do a software synth too.

I know that a lot of the Line6 type guitar interfaces come with a "Lite" version of something like Ableton Live, which seems like it would suit my needs just fine. Basically what I'm looking for is just something cheap and simple; I'm certainly not going to be doing any kind of serious recording with it, and I don't even know if this is something I'll even stick with. I've recently noticed this product, which seems to include everything I'd want in a cheap, simple package:

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-Studio-KB37-USB-Audio-Interface-with-POD-Farm-Plugin?sku=250005

Really all I'm looking to do is run my guitar through some amp modeling software and possibly record it, along with some software-based synth stuff. I'm completely new to computer-based music, so I'm flying kinda blind. Is the above product good for what I intend to use it for? Can anyone recommend a different product/combination of products?

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 13, 2010

Tez
Apr 25, 2004
Nothing Really Matters..........
Im thinking of buying a 93-94 Fender Mustang (Made in Japan) for about $900US. Am i about to pay too much for it?

I really like it but dont want to be paying overpriced for it.

Any feedback appreciated. Cheers.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tez posted:

Im thinking of buying a 93-94 Fender Mustang (Made in Japan) for about $900US. Am i about to pay too much for it?

I really like it but dont want to be paying overpriced for it.

Any feedback appreciated. Cheers.

thats way too much unless you live in japan or are getting it shipped from there. you should be able to talk em down at least $100 no sweat, because you could get a new one with warranty for less than $900 if you look carefully
i personally wouldnt pay more than $600 for one

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Should I keep my monitors at a low or high volume? I have my computer/interface running through a mixer and the monitors connected to that, and it can go either way, the monitor volume simply determines how far the knob turns, but the volume is the same either way.

Craeb Maet
Apr 24, 2007
I pinch.
Maybe an odd question for this thread but what are some places to get custom band merchandise going, shirts, hoodies, panties, etc?

Something affordable and not too pricey but still something quality that won't fall apart after someone buys it and washes it.

We already do our own CD's but clothing we'd rather not do ourselves. If it helps in suggesting where to go to have it done we make around 1,000 a month but that may be dying down since summer is over, it varies. We don't want to have to sale our shirts too expensive either, something kids can afford easy, hell were fine if we break even on the merch as long as kids get to wear it and enjoy it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Craeb Maet posted:

Maybe an odd question for this thread but what are some places to get custom band merchandise going, shirts, hoodies, panties, etc?

As far as I know, Cafepress is still one of the easiest options for custom merch.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I have been considering upgrading my stock pickups on my Ibanez Rg2550. The problem is, I have no idea what to even consider. I mostly play instrumental post-rock music that ranges from quiet/clean guitar parts to loud/distorted parts. Anyone have any suggestions?

Craeb Maet
Apr 24, 2007
I pinch.

Manky posted:

As far as I know, Cafepress is still one of the easiest options for custom merch.

Even to buy in bulk for a stock to have for sale at shows?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
anyone ever break the handle on their guitar case? How did you replace it/get it fixed, etc? Do guitar shops fix those?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Are you REALLY supposed to write EZDrummer tracks by memorizing what each of the midi keys do? I'm using Ableton.

I used BFD2 before which was flakey but at least had a sensible way of writing drum tracks in the program. You wanted a snare roll, you just selected a snare roll. Please tell me I'm missing something!

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What are the best VST effects plugins to get for my Pro Tools LE setup (compression, reverb, etc.?)

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Popcorn posted:

Are you REALLY supposed to write EZDrummer tracks by memorizing what each of the midi keys do? I'm using Ableton.

I used BFD2 before which was flakey but at least had a sensible way of writing drum tracks in the program. You wanted a snare roll, you just selected a snare roll. Please tell me I'm missing something!

In SD2 there's a mapping screen where you select which keys you want to correspond to various sounds. Is EZ different, or is BFD2 really different?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
I just broke my high E string on my Ibanez. I was leveling the floyd rose but was too lazy to actually take the strings off. It broke when I thought I was done and was tuning it up to E again.

The guitar store I make myself a customer of opens on tuesday. Is it okay to leave it with a broken E string until then? Will the neck warp? If so, what should I do to keep it from going bad on me?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Your guitar will be fine.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
a very nase! Thanks

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Popcorn posted:

You could just properly write out your drum tracks in MIDI format.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Select create new midi track in abletones clip view.

Hit the kick, snare and hat keys, (like, C,D and the C and octave above) or whatever youre using for this beat.

Select "fold" so it only shows the note rows that have notes on them.

Program baet.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Could someone recommend me a pickup configuration on a custom tele for all sorts of rock and classic metal?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Boz0r posted:

Could someone recommend me a pickup configuration on a custom tele for all sorts of rock and classic metal?

Since it's a tele are you set on a classic pickup configuration or are you open to H-H or Tele-H or Tele-P90s or whatever?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Craeb Maet posted:

Even to buy in bulk for a stock to have for sale at shows?

That's a good question. For that I might go to a service like Vacord screen printing.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Since it's a tele are you set on a classic pickup configuration or are you open to H-H or Tele-H or Tele-P90s or whatever?

Anything at all, it's for a custom job anyway.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Boz0r posted:

Since you want something versatile for rock and metal I'd just go with a pair of PAF-style humbuckers:
GFS -
http://www.guitarfetish.com/VEH-Vintage-Extra-Hot-Gold-The-BROWN-SOUND-_c_172.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Crunchy-Pat-High-Output-Humbucker-Chrome_c_48.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fat-Pat-Boutique-Humbucker-Chrome_c_43.html

Dimarzio: PAF Pro, Super Distortion, Tone Zone

Seymour Duncan: Custom SH-series, JB.

Once you have more details about the guitar, particularly wood selection, you can get really spergy and start narrowing down pickup choices (so if you have a really bright or mid-heavy guitar like all-maple then you can avoid pickups with a mid/high frequency boost, etc).

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.
So im trying to get my ear training up and so far all i can really find that is semi-decent is auralia but its kind of expensive for what is it. Is there any other software like it that is cheaper? Do you guys have any recommendations?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Peanut Wagon posted:

So im trying to get my ear training up and so far all i can really find that is semi-decent is auralia but its kind of expensive for what is it. Is there any other software like it that is cheaper? Do you guys have any recommendations?

I don't know how it compares but you can try Earmaster for 30 days or something

http://www.earmaster.com/

Peanut Wagon
Dec 28, 2006

Relax. Go Nuts.

baka kaba posted:

I don't know how it compares but you can try Earmaster for 30 days or something

http://www.earmaster.com/

Ill give it a shot thank you so much

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you have an iPhone/Pad/Touch there are a few reasonably cheap apps. I started with Karajan but it didn't have any sort of lesson structure and seemed to be more for sharpening your existing musical ear instead of starting fresh, moved on to EarMan which has a terrible interface and I have probably only used a handful of times, and now use Ear Trainer which is the closest thing to EarMaster I have found on an iOS device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Boz0r posted:

i love my dimarzio minihumbuckers in my custom tele :allears: