Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ramagamma posted:

Not a dig at you Shak but do people actually do this? If I start watching a movie, its got about 15, maybe 22, minutes to impress me. If I'm not drawn in by that point then I'll go find something more enjoyable to do. Free time is at too high a premium too waste on anything not exciting.
I can't even count the number of great movies I wouldn't have seen if I'd bailed because I didn't care for the first reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I used to be militant about finishing movies, but now I'm not so worried about stopping something I don't like. Though to be fair, I usually stop watching crap like Tokyo Gore Police, Noriko's Dinner Table, and I'm sorta confident those movies don't get any better in the second half.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If I cared enough about the movie to set aside two hours, and put down money, then I'll watch the whole drat thing. Otherwise it's an even bigger waste.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

If I cared enough about the movie to set aside two hours, and put down money, then I'll watch the whole drat thing. Otherwise it's an even bigger waste.

I've never walked out of a theater. That's different than renting a DVD or whatever.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I have a question regarding The Exorcist. I understand the purpose of the opening in Iraq, but the shot with the one eyed blacksmith always stuck with me for some reason, like it has some importance to the narrative and the overall dread feeling that Merrin has. What it is though, I cant tell.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Honest Thief posted:

I have a question regarding The Exorcist. I understand the purpose of the opening in Iraq, but the shot with the one eyed blacksmith always stuck with me for some reason, like it has some importance to the narrative and the overall dread feeling that Merrin has. What it is though, I cant tell.

I don't think it has any particular importance to the narrative, just that Merrin is in a place with Bad Vibes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think The Town is the only time in my adult life that I've ever considered leaving the theater out of indifference. There were times when I was considering getting up to go to the bathroom just to find a way to pass the time. It was also one of the few times that I've read rave reviews and had absolutely no idea what they saw in it.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

the Bunt posted:

I've never walked out of a theater. That's different than renting a DVD or whatever.

Yeah I've never walked out of a cinema. And I've seen some bad films at the movies. Thats different from watching a DVD or a movie on TV though, you are in there for the whole experience.

Plus its at least a 20 minute drive to the cinema so its a bit of a hassle to just bail.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think The Town is the only time in my adult life that I've ever considered leaving the theater out of indifference. There were times when I was considering getting up to go to the bathroom just to find a way to pass the time. It was also one of the few times that I've read rave reviews and had absolutely no idea what they saw in it.

I had this same experience with District 9.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I saw Concorde...Airport '79 (1979) in the theatre. I saw The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984) in the theatre. I saw License to Drive (1988) in the theatre. I saw Crocodile Dundee II (1988) in the theatre.

At this point I'm pretty much immune to walking out of anything ever, because gently caress if I'm going to bail on something if I sat through all of those pieces of poo poo. Note: I reserve the right to change this opinion without notice if I ever find myself watching Gamer (2009) or Blade: Trinity (2004) in a theatre.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SubG posted:

I saw Concorde...Airport '79 (1979) in the theatre. I saw The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984) in the theatre. I saw License to Drive (1988) in the theatre. I saw Crocodile Dundee II (1988) in the theatre.

At this point I'm pretty much immune to walking out of anything ever, because gently caress if I'm going to bail on something if I sat through all of those pieces of poo poo. Note: I reserve the right to change this opinion without notice if I ever find myself watching Gamer (2009) or Blade: Trinity (2004) in a theatre.

I got this scar watching Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ramagamma posted:

Not a dig at you Shak but do people actually do this? If I start watching a movie, its got about 15, maybe 22, minutes to impress me. If I'm not drawn in by that point then I'll go find something more enjoyable to do. Free time is at too high a premium too waste on anything not exciting.

I generally do it with movies that are popular and people like to discuss them. I don't feel I can criticize a movie based on hearsay, so if I want to be able to talk about a movie, I have to watch it. I watch a lot of movies both good and bad, and on top of that I like plenty of bad movies. Besides, I'm already out the dollar that I paid to rent it, and if I stop in the middle, I have to find something else to do for the evening. Also some movies start out lovely and the end makes them worth it.

Grizzly Park is a great example of this. It's a terrible movie, but ending is that much funnier because it solidifies the fact that, yes, it is a comedy.

I can't even think of the last movie I stopped watching partway through. I was gonna say Saw III, but I think I went back and watched it like 2 years later.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
The only movie I've walked out on was Dead Man Walking. I was expecting some amazing new thought provoking movie experience about the death penalty. They lied!

I literally fell asleep for a couple of seconds towards the end of Eyes Wide Shut. Oh wow. Rich people in masks loving. How exciting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Took a nap around the three hour mark of Jeanne Dielman. To be fair, so did she.

Sizzlechest posted:

I literally fell asleep for a couple of seconds towards the end of Eyes Wide Shut. Oh wow. Rich people in masks loving. How exciting.

I think you missed the point of Eyes Wide Shut, but then again pretty much everyone did.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I saw Dumb and Dumberer in theaters. A girl I liked wanted to see it :(

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think you missed the point of Eyes Wide Shut, but then again pretty much everyone did.

That it was boring and anachronistic as gently caress? I'm pretty sure I did.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Sizzlechest posted:

That it was boring and anachronistic as gently caress? I'm pretty sure I did.

You're boring and anachronistic as gently caress. No, I meant that it was a film about fidelity and marriage rather than sex and intrigue. It had a terrible ad campaign and it's really represented in all the wrong ways.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Eyes Wide Shut is a big jab at Hollywood eroticism and materialism.

The marketing campaign was perfect, as it lured people in for sex and they got a lesson on morality and capitalism. I strongly recommend reading the original novella "Dream Story" after seeing the film, as it leads into more of what Kubrick was trying to do.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You're boring and anachronistic as gently caress. No, I meant that it was a film about fidelity and marriage rather than sex and intrigue. It had a terrible ad campaign and it's really represented in all the wrong ways.

You're mom is boring and anachronistic as gently caress. Checkmate.

If making sex boring is supposed to be a statement about fidelity and marriage, then I guess it succeeded. The "depravity" of the secret society's parties would have been shocking in the 20's, but not within the last decade. Even the musical score, if you could call it that, was excruciatingly dull. The one piano key played over and over fit the monotony of movie perfectly.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I left The Perfect Storm early and fell asleep during Alexander, and I haven't really regretted either.

I have, however, sat through The Son of the Mask, The Master of Disguise, and a lot of other really goddamn bad movies. I think I've seen about a tenth of that Rottentomatoes list of "worst releases of the decade" in theaters.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've never walked out of a movie but I came awfully close with A Thin Red Line, Speed Racer, and recently Obselidia. Still...I just can't being myself to walk out. I did fall asleep during Fog of War (which I feel a little guilty about for some reason, and recently, Fix Me (which I'm perfectly fine with).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sizzlechest posted:

You're mom is boring and anachronistic as gently caress. Checkmate.

If making sex boring is supposed to be a statement about fidelity and marriage, then I guess it succeeded. The "depravity" of the secret society's parties would have been shocking in the 20's, but not within the last decade. Even the musical score, if you could call it that, was excruciatingly dull. The one piano key played over and over fit the monotony of movie perfectly.

It's not meant to be 'shocking'.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

and if I stop in the middle, I have to find something else to do for the evening

I think thats the issue with me. I guess when most people sit down to watch a movie its to kill their free time after work or whatever. I have no problem with stopping something halfway through because I've always got something else, more fun, that I could be doing.

Sit down and watch Predator? Oh sure. Bored after 20 minutes? I could go browse the forums, play some Fifa 11, tidy my house. I dunno. I just find it so difficult to sit down and watch something unless its doing a great job of keeping me interested. I'm like a goldfish when it comes to movies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

haveblue posted:

Not really. You've already wasted your money, why waste your time as well?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I watched The Master of Disguise at my dorm with a weird kid who thought it was the funniest thing ever. I could have gone do something else, but I watched the whole thing out of boredom.
I almost walked out of The Science of Sleep 30 minutes into the film. I'm glad I stayed, though.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I don't know when it happened, but over the last three or four years I've turned into one of those people who has to see a movie through to the end, and I even shush people if we're at my place watching some lovely straight-to-dvd garbage and they talk over the dialogue. I feel bad about this.

I did walk out of Fat Albert though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Noxville posted:

It's not meant to be 'shocking'.

Right, it's supposed to be kind of weird and absurd. The idea is that Bill's thinking (or will be thinking, probably in retrospect), "This is what guys like Ziegler do with their time and money?" That's the creepy part, not the actual orgy-ball. The idea that billionaires are so bored that they put on these David Lynch Venetian sex parties because nothing else thrills them any more. Bill wants to go up, up, as far as possible, and he tries to break out of his place as servant to the guys who go to those gently caress-masquerades, and then finds out that the people that he serves are so dulled by their wealth that there's nothing left.

Ziegler is one of my favorite of Kubrick's characters because he seems so All-American-Charming (the fact that he's Sydney Pollack sure helps), but then you get the scene in the enormous billiards room where there's this giant table of booze and these huge speakers conflicting with the classical architecture and you kind of start to get that there's not much left to this guy. Kubrick always had a fascination with huge rooms and the people that inhabit them (the Torrances in the Overlook, Redmond Barry in his mansion [and the irony that he nearly loses his life in a barn], Quilty playing ping-pong in his estate, the "courtroom" in Paths Of Glory, Dullea and Lockwood in their giant hamster-wheel in 2001, the politicians in the war room in Dr. Strangelove) and he finally got to make a film all about it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

I almost walked out of The Science of Sleep 30 minutes into the film. I'm glad I stayed, though.

Now here's a movie I wish I stopped watching. I find it hard to remember a more irritating protagonist.

No Real Pattern
Mar 17, 2006

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!
I think I walked out of Star Wars Episode 1, either that or Matrix episode 2. One of those things I had highish expectations for and then it turned out they were awful.

Anyway, I came here with a question-
What is the best documentary about general American history? Ideally some sort of multi-part documentary TV series thing. My wife is from Europe and she's going for citizenship soon and I thought this might be a slightly less boring way to brush up on history. Thanks in advance.

No Real Pattern fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 22, 2010

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

The thing that stuck with me was the talisman that mysteriously appeared at the home. I never figured out the connection or significance.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zogo posted:

The thing that stuck with me was the talisman that mysteriously appeared at the home. I never figured out the connection or significance.

The one found by Merrin in Iraq? I think it was the same kind as the one Father Karras wore, and dreamed of.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Honest Thief posted:

The one found by Merrin in Iraq? I think it was the same kind as the one Father Karras wore, and dreamed of.

Yes, I thought they were all the same one. Initially found at some excavation it later appears in some leaves/dirt at the home. It's never really commented on afterward either

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
I was under the impression that the one found outside their home was made by Regan, like her clay figurines.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Tender Bender posted:

Same thing, except it was " Spice World" for me.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Aorist posted:

I was under the impression that the one found outside their home was made by Regan, like her clay figurines.

I forgot about her clay figurines. Yea, that sounds plausible and would make sense..rather than it just appearing out of nowhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never walked out of a movie, but I saw a bunch of people walk out of Bowling for Columbine.

Thing is, movies are expensive, so why throw away your money? Even if the movie is lovely, you might as well try to get something for your money. I doubt theaters give refunds anymore for movies being crummy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Actually, turn this double post into a question.

Is there a reason there are about 4 3d BRD available currently, with almost none on the way? Is it as simple as they rushed the tech out the door to cash in on the 3d craze and then forgot to secure the rights for any actual product?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 24, 2010

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

twistedmentat posted:

I never walked out of a movie, but I saw a bunch of people walk out of Bowling for Columbine.

Thing is, movies are expensive, so why throw away your money? Even if the movie is lovely, you might as well try to get something for your money. I doubt theaters give refunds anymore for movies being crummy.

I've walked out of two movies, both at a discount theater, so I lost a combined total of 5 dollars. The movies were A Haunting in Connecticut and The Spy Next Door. The first was because I was bored, the second was because I felt like it was actively draining my intelligence. Ironically, I sat through all of Old Dogs at the same theater. It was like a train wreck, I literally couldn't look away.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, turn this double post into a question.

Is there a reason there are about 4 3d BRD available currently, with almost none on the way? Is it as simple as they rushed the tech out the door to cash in on the 3d craze and then forgot to secure the rights for any actual product?

Probably because there's not a lot worth putting out yet and the majority of 3-D releases now are 2-D post-converted if they're not animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tender Bender posted:

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Was still probably better than Rollerball though.