Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omning
Jul 12, 2006

travisray2004 posted:

That SRT looks so loving mean right behind the 3. Kind of looks like it's molesting it.

The Mazda 3 begs for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

dissss posted:

Depends on what engine you have in your Taurus really. That Pug is a little more powerful than the top spec Taurus but a lot more powerful than the basic SOHC model.

It's got a 3-liter V6, which is actually saying exactly nothing about what kind of engine it has since the only engines offered in 1999 were two 3L V6 models, one the Vulcan and the other a some DOHC thing. Note that I have absolutely no idea which is actually better, although the DOHC was offered on the higher-end versions, or so says Wikipedia. I also don't know how to find out which one my car has. (It's got the LS badge IIRC)

The transmissions offered were also a choice of two 4-speed automatics. I've again got absolutely no idea how they're different.

Should I take a picture under the hood next time I go out to my car? (I'm on a college campus paying for the cheap parking pass, meaning that my car is a mile away from my dorm so I have to either walk/bike/scooter, or take a shuttle)

My area of expertise is computers, not cars, but I want to know absolutely everything that I can know about my car, and what it all means. (Thing number one: The AC doesn't work, and I don't care. Thing number two: The paint is peeling off the back bumper and I only slightly care.)

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 21, 2010

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nerdly_dood posted:

It's got a 3-liter V6, which is actually saying exactly nothing about what kind of engine it has since the only engines offered in 1999 were two 3L V6 models, one the Vulcan and the other a some DOHC thing. Note that I have absolutely no idea which is actually better, although the DOHC was offered on the higher-end versions, or so says Wikipedia. I also don't know how to find out which one my car has. (It's got the LS badge IIRC)

Heads would be significantly larger on the DOHC engine...the Vulcan is an OHV pushrod setup.

Edit: Just realized you probably don't know what the gently caress...look under your hood -

Click here for the full 800x551 image.

DOHC Duratec 3.0 V6

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

OHV Vulcan 3.0 V6

(Note your engine bay may be slightly different.)

I found the images at http://www.ford-taurus.org/, might want to spend some time going through that site...looks like they have some good information on the Taurus.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 21, 2010

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Omning posted:

My 06 Charger SRT8. Mopar dealer option intake and exhaust are the only performance mods.

Really? I spy slotted rotors and a drop.

Omning
Jul 12, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Really? I spy slotted rotors and a drop.

Good eye on the rotors! They're considered stock though, people were complaining about brake noise (or other problems, I don't remember for sure) with the blanks and they replaced them with these. So at some point if you went in for a brake job at a dealer or went in for warranty service they replaced them with these.

Height is stock for an srt8. Might be the angle of the driveway or the way the wheel is turned on the pic of it behind my wifes Mazda...

Sabmo
May 7, 2009

omgitstheinternet posted:

Yours was gorgeous, what happened to it?

Mine is a 5 speed, has 96k, but wasn't that well maintained. I had the radiator pop a couple weeks ago, a few days after fixing that the serpentine belt tensioner broke. I did the radiator myself since it happened near my work so I had a place to fix it, and did the thermostat at the same time. I took it to a local saab mechanic to have the tensioner done, apparently something called the stay bracket was broken as well. I'm picking it up today and I'm very excited.

It has a few other issues, the fuel gauge always reads full, the coolant temp gauge reads cold, even after the new thermostat, and the car is definitely warming up more than it reads. Also has a few electrical gremlins, the high beams don't work, the central locking works on and off.

The car is definitely a beater but living in brooklyn I didn't want anything too nice, it's amazing on my commute and gets similar gas mileage as my miata did, if you can believe that. I'll get more pictures of it soon, even though it is certainly not pretty. The interior is in great shape at least, which is what I really cared about.

This happened :(

Well more specifically, a completely unanticipated patch of frost sent me off a corner at around 80 kph. It was like someone had suddenly pulled on the handbrake. It was a big one, but thankfully I walked away completely unscathed - a true testament to the awesome passive safety of Saab's cars. I've since replaced it with a 9000 CSE which I've swapped the salvaged Aero seats and wheels onto, but I still miss that drat Aero like crazy.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours though. Like you said, they're seriosuly good cars for cruising. And as for the milage, I could believe that. Seriously, what other equivalent car has the same mix of awesome practicality, fuel economy, luxury, performance and style? The 9000 is so underappreciated.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

nerdly_dood posted:

My car can be seen a few pages back. It works, decent acceleration and torque, gets me around just fine and all - probably similar performance to your car

Keep living in your dream-world.

A Peugeot 406 TS6 with the ES9-J4S engine is a LOT faster than any iteration of your Taurus. Even the 3.4l V8 SHO engine won't match.

Judging from the pictures you've got a LX or SE. Probably the LX.

That's 145Hp @ 5000RPM compared to 210Hp @ 6000RPM and torque at 180Nm @ 3650RPM compared to 285Nm @ 3750RPM

Your daily drive is loving slow, but chances are, that it'll pick up speed in a few years as rust progress and weight reduce its massive, fat body ;)

Sorry ;)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 21, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Never thought I'd see a person acting like a 10 year old peugeot estate was a performance car.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

A5H posted:

Never thought I'd see a person acting like a 10 year old peugeot estate was a performance car.

It's not. I enjoyed it anyway ;)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Omning posted:

Good eye on the rotors! They're considered stock though, people were complaining about brake noise (or other problems, I don't remember for sure) with the blanks and they replaced them with these. So at some point if you went in for a brake job at a dealer or went in for warranty service they replaced them with these.

Height is stock for an srt8. Might be the angle of the driveway or the way the wheel is turned on the pic of it behind my wifes Mazda...

Yeah, there was a TSB early on and after about mid '06 all SRT-8's came with the factory slotted rotors.

There is basically no reason to try to upgrade the stock srt rotors anyway. They are 14.2" and are pretty bulletproof. The set I ran lasted 9 track days with Carbotech XP-10s and are only just now showing some micro fractures on the face.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Blaster of Justice posted:

Keep living in your dream-world.

A Peugeot 406 TS6 with the ES9-J4S engine is a LOT faster than any iteration of your Taurus. Even the 3.4l V8 SHO engine won't match.

Judging from the pictures you've got a LX or SE. Probably the LX.

That's 145Hp @ 5000RPM compared to 210Hp @ 6000RPM and torque at 180Nm @ 3650RPM compared to 285Nm @ 3750RPM

Your daily drive is loving slow, but chances are, that it'll pick up speed in a few years as rust progress and weight reduce its massive, fat body ;)

Sorry ;)

It's SE.

Hey, I learned to drive in my dad's ancient (1995) Chevy pickup - its favorite speeds are 40 mph and 80 mph (which might be the top speed) - the gas pedal seems calibrated to make it impossible to creep along at parking-lot speeds, and also impossible to keep up properly with hignway traffic - either you do 40 in a 65 zone, or it accelerates past 70, at which point I always let off the gas. If I'm lucky enough to come across a road with a 40mph speed limit then I'll have absolutely no trouble maintaining the proper speed. Also it blows out a giant cloud of blue smoke when it starts and it makes a small but infuriating tinkity-tink noise with long uphills, of which there are plenty where I come from.

My car, on the other hand, will do whatever speed you I want it to do, and take however much (or little) time you I want it to take to get to that speed. Can't compare it to your car, but it's faster and more stable than both my dad's old truck and my stepmom's 1994 Buick Roadmaster.

Also haven't had much time to really get to test out its acceleration - I'm at college in the DC burbs, and roads here are too crowded to try to floor it up to the speed limit... but back home I'll have no trouble finding a decent place to do it, in fact I know exactly where I'll do it; there's a long flat section of road right next to the truck's favorite place to make the tinkity-tink noise...

Might be for you what driving my dad's truck is for me, but for me, it's plenty fast enough to get my license revoked (or worse).

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 21, 2010

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Omning posted:

Color me informed. And yeah, I think the angle of your driveway played tricks on my drop-o-meter. Nice car though, always an SRT fan. :)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sabmo posted:

It looks so...downtrodden.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

It looks so...downtrodden.

The only times that mashed cars don't make me sad is when I'm playing video games, and even then sometimes I'm trying to preserve the integrity of my ride...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nerdly_dood posted:

Hey, I learned to drive in my dad's ancient (1995) Chevy pickup

Hahaha what

Supernaut6
Jul 29, 2003

WHAT IN FICK
Love the FD Daneo but get rid of that stock IC and radiator. Besides a hose change, that is probably the first thing you should have done. Are you on 7 club?

Here is my RX-7 Spirit R replica. I think it might be the best replica in the states. Even got the right coin holders. Only a couple of things are missing or need to be installed to complete the replica. I've had the car for almost 3 years. It's been in shops for 2.25 of those 3 years and its back at the shop again for more. There isn't much that is original on the car anymore.

Best toy ever!

Before

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

After

Click here for the full 640x428 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 720x478 image.

Click here for the full 800x597 image.

Click here for the full 800x597 image.

Supernaut6 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 22, 2010

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Good loving GOD that is beautiful. :stare:

epix
Aug 7, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Good loving GOD that is beautiful. :stare:

Agreed!! What is the paint code/color on that.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Lose the spoiler and would be all the gently caress over that thing, that is hot as hell.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Third Man posted:

Lose the spoiler and would be all the gently caress over that thing, that is hot as hell.

It wouldn't be such an accurate replica without the spoiler.

I think it looks great with it anyway, that has to be the very best looking version of the very best looking car ever to have come out of Japan.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

dissss posted:

Aye. It's perfect for what it is (a rare and clean FD)

Supernaut6
Jul 29, 2003

WHAT IN FICK
Thanks for the kind words guys. I've sacrificed more then I should for the car and its nice to hear some feedback on it. I'm glad the car is unique enough that it evokes any kind of response to it, good or bad.

dissss posted:

You understand!!!

Actually for most FDs I would agree that spoilerless is best but I think in the case of the Spirit R the spoiler adds to the looks.

epix posted:

Agreed!! What is the paint code/color on that.

Paint code is 25G. There are actually 2 paint codes for titanium gray metallic for limited edition mazdas. The RX7 one is 25G. The miata one has a different code (20G maybe?). The RX7 one has bronze metallic flakes that isn't present in the miata paint and it really comes out in the sun. I was lucky. The paint ended up being a really good choice. It's amazing how different the color looks in different lights.

RX7
http://www.supercars.net/carpics/1917/2002_Mazda_RX7SpiritR1.jpg
Miata
http://www.miata.net/gallery/images/03shinsen.jpg

Supernaut6 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 23, 2010

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

Sabmo posted:

Well more specifically, a completely unanticipated patch of frost sent me off a corner at around 80 kph. It was like someone had suddenly pulled on the handbrake. It was a big one, but thankfully I walked away completely unscathed - a true testament to the awesome passive safety of Saab's cars. I've since replaced it with a 9000 CSE which I've swapped the salvaged Aero seats and wheels onto, but I still miss that drat Aero like crazy.

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying yours though. Like you said, they're seriosuly good cars for cruising. And as for the milage, I could believe that. Seriously, what other equivalent car has the same mix of awesome practicality, fuel economy, luxury, performance and style? The 9000 is so underappreciated.

Holy poo poo, dude. Glad you are okay, and that is seriously a testament to saabs awesome safety record.

I got mine back from the shop and I am loving it! Even with the new weird problems that are arising (high beams actually work sometimes now! but when they do, the right blinker doesn't. Either one works or the other), and remembering that it needs a heater core, I am still so happy to be driving it again, and looking forward to taking it for a nice long drive this weekend. Right now I'm just hoping it doesn't get towed for all the unpaid parking tickets from when my miata got hit and was sitting in an illegal spot for a week.

As far as performance goes, how are you liking the CSE compared to the aero? From what I understand it's only about a 25 horsepower difference, and I'm considering picking up a low mileage, more cared for CSE in the near future and swapping at least the seats and wheels over (I'd be going aftermarket for suspension and clutch anyways). I'd be happy with a little less power from a smaller turbo but less lag.

FENCH DIGGITY
Oct 23, 2010

hee-ho, fuccboi
Hey AI. This is my car, an '01 4Runner.

She has a lovely rear end...wait a second :raise: what is that?

Hm, a BMW? I bet it's fast.

Oh. :eng99:

But what's this?

A 5 speed? What is going on here.

So, this is my second car that I just picked up yesterday. '82 733i. I6, 5 speed. Very very fun to drive. They both need a wash/wax/claybar/etc. really bad, especially the BMW. Hopefully gonna take care of that on both today.

dryicerx
Oct 5, 2004
Network Slayer Version 2.48.0 Build 14993
A few weeks ago, did a European Delivery of a 2011 335is DCT and drove it around Alps and as many mountain passes as possible, 1000 miles 10 days. Now just waiting until redelivery, what a painful wait...

Italy

Alps

Alps

Delivery at BMW Welt

And a preview video, still working on the final version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzvrpXtUnME

dryicerx fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 23, 2010

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

holyfuck

those are some beautiful pictures, can I get the Italy one in 1920xWhatever?

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Really nice. What camera did you use for the video? Make sure you post the full one here when you're done.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

dryicerx posted:

A few weeks ago, did a European Delivery of a 2011 335is DCT and drove it around Alps and as many mountain passes as possible, 1000 miles 10 days. Now just waiting until redelivery, what a painful wait...

Italy

Alps

Alps

OMG, why did I never think of this while living in Europe! Beautiful pics, I'm truly jealous! I only ever thought to shoot my car at the park down the street from my house despite the fact I've shot all those landscapes and more.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
what happens if you put the engine of this (2L turbo diesel)

Click here for the full 800x512 image.

in to this

Click here for the full 1280x700 image.

spoiler line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for the full 720x576 image.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

blambert posted:

I really need to go and take proper photos of my car.

Renaultsport Clio 182

2.0 litre inline 4 putting out 182hp... kerb weight 1110kg.. poo poo is fast.

AND it's got air con, leather seats, xenons and cruise control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvyVnutjJYA

:hfive: Renaulsport buddy. I really like the Mk2 Clios. The 182 most of all, for the nicer touches over its 172 cousin: centred dual pipes and anthracite-coloured wheels.

The blue really suits, it, too. Nice car :)

Daneo
Mar 15, 2009

Supernaut6 posted:

Love the FD Daneo but get rid of that stock IC and radiator. Besides a hose change, that is probably the first thing you should have done. Are you on 7 club?

Thanks! I'm trying to decide where i want to go with mine, considering a single turbo right now. I think that should be a fun project. The intercooler is definately on my to do list, and while i'm there i'll probably get a new rad aswell, and just generally clean up the engine bay.

I read on 7 club once in a while, but the danish FD forum is pretty active, so that's where i spend most of my time.

Your car looks amazing. What kinds of performance mods are you running? You should definately try and look for a mazda speed front strut brace, that would really add to the look of your engine bay.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

dryicerx posted:

Italy

HDR?
Got a flickr? Also what lens?

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh
my friend Dave leaning on my 05 TDI somewhere in Mexico during our road trip from Columbia, SC to Mexico City

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Manny posted:

Really nice. What camera did you use for the video? Make sure you post the full one here when you're done.
If he comes back and says the GoPro HD HERO then that'll seal the deal and I'm buying one.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

dryicerx posted:

Awesome. Is that the St Bernard pass around 30 seconds in?

Supernaut6
Jul 29, 2003

WHAT IN FICK

Daneo posted:

Your car looks amazing. What kinds of performance mods are you running? You should definately try and look for a mazda speed front strut brace, that would really add to the look of your engine bay.

Thanks man. I actually don't have many performance mods. I'm just trying to make the engine bay as cool as possible. Everything was done for reliability. I just want an FD that would have the same power levels as an actual Spirit R with as much reliability as possible. UGH, I've had so much done I don't even remember a fraction of it.

In terms of engine only stuff...
-Base reliability mods
-Mazda recalls
-Everything that can be ceramacoated has been.
-Fluidyne rad
-Greddy SMIC
-Autoexe intake
-SS clutch and brake lines
-Rotary aviation kit + 99 spec OMP (for using premix only for the OMP)
-Racing beat single exhaust (UGH)
-Still running stock twins but I'm going to boost it to 12 psi (99 spec levels)
-FPD delete
-Aquamist AI will be installed
-R1 dual oil coolers
-HKS twinpower
-ACT clutch + lightened flywheel
-Fuel pump wiring upgrade
-Reinforced oil pan brace

As for the strut bar, I'm trying to keep the car as close to the Spirit R as possible minus mods for reliability. Building a replica kinda sucks sometimes :(.

My next FD is going to be for power and I'm not going to spend as much money on it making it nice. I'm going to shoot for moderate a 420rwhp with a fast spooling turbo and just stop. I don't want to make so much power that I have to worry about breaking the trans or the rear very often. I want to have so little invested in the car that I don't mind driving it in the city and getting random dings and rock chips. Driving the replica really isn't fun :(.

dryicerx
Oct 5, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

holyfuck

those are some beautiful pictures, can I get the Italy one in 1920xWhatever?

Thanks, I'll post when I get home, out of town now.

Manny posted:

davebo posted:

If he comes back and says the GoPro HD HERO then that'll seal the deal and I'm buying one.

Video was all with a Canon 7D with a suction cup mount outside.

A5H posted:

HDR?
Got a flickr? Also what lens?

Yup, all HDR but I try to make them look non-HDR (not a fan of the over-processed look). All my snapshots were 3 AEBs. These were either in Canon EF-S 17-55mm 2.8 IS, or the Sigma 8-16mm.

TomSellek posted:

Awesome. Is that the St Bernard pass around 30 seconds in?

Pretty sure it is. I kind of wish I wrote down which pass I was in during each clip, lol.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How you finding that sigma? Worth the extra money over the 10-20mm?
Looking for a wide angle lens myself for automotive photography and was stuck thinking about what to go for.

blue vein steel
Feb 5, 2004

i am the video word made flesh

Trench_Rat posted:

what happens if you put the engine of this (2L turbo diesel)

Click here for the full 800x512 image.

in to this

Click here for the full 1280x700 image.

spoiler line

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here for the full 720x576 image.

that's really cool, basically the perfect pickup for real world use. A four-cylinder diesel is the ideal small pickup engine. Too bad there are virtually none in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dryicerx
Oct 5, 2004

A5H posted:

How you finding that sigma? Worth the extra money over the 10-20mm?
Looking for a wide angle lens myself for automotive photography and was stuck thinking about what to go for.

Definitely worth the money (this was a replacement for my 10-22mm). It's scary wide (the 2mm difference on the wide end 10mm vs 8mm is quite insane) and surprisingly sharp (I couldn't tell sharpness difference between the 10-22mm I had). What surprised me the most is how controlled flare is even with the sun in your face. The downsides are that is a EF-S lens, so if you're on full frame, all out of luck, and fully open, there is some CA on the corners. All in all, this is one of my favorite lenses so far.

If you're looking for automotive photography though, this can be too wide at 8mm... I threw out quite a bit of car photos with this at 8mm unless you're far away from the car. Definitely perfect for landscapes/sceneries though.

dryicerx fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 24, 2010