Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

Early gun slingers aren't yet gun slingers, they are generally trash scavenging anarchists tossing molotov cocktails like they are going out of style. Magic wishes it was as cool as that.

In other words grab the molotov cocktail schematic and maybe throw a bit of token effort into thrown skills until you can bankroll buying all the bullets in the world, because you need them all.

Additionally, the Bullets schematic actually requires one point in Explosives to be able to use, so you'll end up knowing how to make molotovs anyway if you're planning on making your own bullets. A single point in throwing and getting Apprentice training from anyone in Shrouded Hills (most guards have it IIRC) is enough to be able to throw things mostly accurately over a short distance - so your grenades/'tovs actually go in the general direction you throw them instead of flying off in a random direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

andrew smash posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with GOG but I wanted to brag that I found icewind dale II at a goodwill for a dollar. Suck it nerds

Who here who wants to get it on GOG doesn't already have a physical copy anyway? :colbert: I just want to play all the BG and ID games without disc swapping.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/age_of_wonders_2_the_wizards_throne

Just waiting for Shadow Magic now.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They ought to have bundled the two together for $10. Ah well.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

opblaaskrokodil posted:

They're pretty easy as a purely melee focused character.

I must have been doing something wrong then since I had to reload multiple times and use grenades/stun grenades.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Doc Hawkins posted:

So besides Disciples 2 and Jagged Alliance 2, is there anything else on that list that folks can recommend?

Sacred Gold is awesome, and while it might not be worth the :10bux: full price it's a huge steal at $5. Ignore the people who say it's short- it's an open world game (like Elder Scrolls) and the classes differ from each other enough where you can play through as different people for different experiences. It's also worth it just to hear the Battle Mage be a sarcastic douche to everyone he comes across.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Can someone quickly outline the differences between Port Royale 2 and Patrician 3? I have both back from the steam sales when they were like 2 bucks each, but I've still never played either, and I'm interested in trying one or the other.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I don't know how many people care, but the new version of the HoMM3 HD patch supports 32-bit color and Aero Glass in windowed mode:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

I don't know how many people care, but the new version of the HoMM3 HD patch supports 32-bit color and Aero Glass in windowed mode:

This was the only thing I ever wanted out of HOMM3, I couldn't bring myself to play it without a real windowed mode.

Thanks.

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 21, 2010

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kreeblah posted:

I didn't even know this existed. Thanks!

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

High morale enables this goon to play again.

Cattywampus
Oct 14, 2008

The HoMM 3 hi res mod is loving awesome news. I couldn't find anything when I tried searching for one to no avail. Installing now.

edit: nevermind, found the fix. you need to run the exe as admininstrator

Cattywampus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 21, 2010

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

sethsez posted:

They're all pretty drat great, and they all max out at 1600x1200.

Personally, my favorite is Big Race USA, but a lot of people seem to love Timeshock. Fantastic Journey doesn't seem to get quite as much love in general, but it's still a drat good table that mostly just suffers for not being quite as good as the other two.

Thanks! I decided to skip on the econ sims and DS1, and picked up Timeshock and Big Race USA!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks! I decided to skip on the econ sims and DS1, and picked up Timeshock and Big Race USA!

Good choice. :)

Personally, I think they're the best commercial pinball sims ever made, outside of MAYBE the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame, although the Pro Pinball games have more options for tweaking the tables and (in my opinion at least) slightly better physics. Not much in the way of tables but you won't be disappointed with how they play.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

sethsez posted:

Good choice. :)

Personally, I think they're the best commercial pinball sims ever made, outside of MAYBE the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame, although the Pro Pinball games have more options for tweaking the tables and (in my opinion at least) slightly better physics. Not much in the way of tables but you won't be disappointed with how they play.

The amount of detail in the gameplay of the two (especially Timeshock) is just fantastic. They're two incredible tables. The only one on the Williams simulator that is close to them is the excellent Medieval Madness.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Did GOG ever give a valid reason why they only have the DOS version of Timeshock?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
New promo up:

Anuman Interactive Games up to 50% off

I'll probably pick up Syberia 2 to go with my copy of Syberia, but none of the others look good beyond the mediocre looking but interesting premise that is Iron Storm.

Gashroom
Jul 13, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Did GOG ever give a valid reason why they only have the DOS version of Timeshock?
I guess It's easier to guarantee compatibility that way, because of Dosbox. Same with MOO2.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Was Megarace 3 any good? I remember playing the poo poo out of Megarace 1. I mean it was an awful game, but at the same time it was awesome because it was like one of the only racing games we had, and definitely nothing in that style. Me and my brother played it for ages. I'm leery of how it holds up over time tho. Thinking of nabbing those.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Who here who wants to get it on GOG doesn't already have a physical copy anyway? :colbert: I just want to play all the BG and ID games without disc swapping.

I guess I hadn't even thought about it. I have a netbook without a dvd drive that I have the IE games on so I just rip the images and mount them when I want to play any given game.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Is Amerzone worth a play if I enjoyed Syberia?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Is Amerzone worth a play if I enjoyed Syberia?

You will be bored throughout and regret your purchase not 5 minutes in.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Bats posted:

Was Megarace 3 any good? I remember playing the poo poo out of Megarace 1. I mean it was an awful game, but at the same time it was awesome because it was like one of the only racing games we had, and definitely nothing in that style. Me and my brother played it for ages. I'm leery of how it holds up over time tho. Thinking of nabbing those.

No, Megarace 3 is a horrible Wipeout clone with a terrible interface and they somehow made Lance Boyle more annoying than he already is. Of course, I've never played the first two games, and I really don't intend to. FMV games just aren't my style.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gashroom posted:

I guess It's easier to guarantee compatibility that way, because of Dosbox. Same with MOO2.

(The other two pinball titles are the Windows versions. Timeshock is exactly the same thing, but in DOS.)

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
How are the Siberia games? Do they have bullshit puzzles or do they mostly make sense?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Spuzzz posted:

How are the Siberia games? Do they have bullshit puzzles or do they mostly make sense?

I've only played Syberia 1, but in my opinion it makes too much sense. A couple of the puzzles will make you pause for a couple seconds, but mostly the solutions to all puzzles are 2 or less screens away.

The game is very pretty and the art is very well done. The story is engaging, but I found it to be much more in the realm on a mildly interactive movie and not really a puzzle/adventure game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Spuzzz posted:

I've only played the first one, but I found it fairly easy (never had to look at a walkthrough/hint guide) and a little bland. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's by no means a bad game.

Edit: Has anyone played the Dark Fall series? I was thinking about giving it a try.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 22, 2010

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

(The other two pinball titles are the Windows versions. Timeshock is exactly the same thing, but in DOS.)

Maybe the windows version of Timeshock has issues the other two don't; it's the earliest of the three they have, so they may have used an improved engine for Big Race and Fantastic Journey.

As for the sale...ehn. With the last one, I held off on getting Sacred because while it's a good game, I have a lot of great games in my backlog; this one just doesn't have anything that interests me.

Except Haegemonia, but I already have a hardcopy of that.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: Has anyone played the Dark Fall series? I was thinking about giving it a try.

I've only played the first, but it's pretty delightfully creepy despite being very "indie" technically and visually speaking.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Don't get Still Life.

(I assume everyone knows this but I'm just reiterating.)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

ZeeBoi posted:

Don't get Still Life.

(I assume everyone knows this but I'm just reiterating.)

Actually I was planning on it! Explain yourself, man!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I've only played the first one, but I found it fairly easy (never had to look at a walkthrough/hint guide) and a little bland. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's by no means a bad game.

There is no ingame log of any kind in DarkFall. You have to draw your symbols, take notes, etc... All the game takes place in the same creepy abandoned hotel or on its ground. Knowing that, if it still interests you, go ahead. It's pretty fun.

I'm not very good at these games so I found it a bit hard since they give you no direction. On the other hand, you can solve puzzles in the order you want to some degree, which is nice.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Hemish posted:

There is no ingame log of any kind in DarkFall. You have to draw your symbols, take notes, etc... All the game takes place in the same creepy abandoned hotel or on its ground. Knowing that, if it still interests you, go ahead. It's pretty fun.

I'm not very good at these games so I found it a bit hard since they give you no direction. On the other hand, you can solve puzzles in the order you want to some degree, which is nice.

So, like Myst then? I've been wanting something like that recently.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Except Haegemonia, but I already have a hardcopy of that.

Is it any good?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Depends on what you're looking for. I got it expecting something like Homeworld; instead, it's more like a watered-down version of Imperium Galactica II. So, if you go in expecting a 3d RTS or a large-scale, super-detailed 4X you'll be disappointed.

If, on the other hand, you want to play a sort of mellow, slow-paced, shallow but pretty 2d RTS in space, it delivers. I certainly don't regret buying it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So, im looking for a good Strategy game. SOmething simmler to Mech Commander and Fire Emblum. Something that is squad based and has permadeath for characters.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

BigRed0427 posted:

So, im looking for a good Strategy game. SOmething simmler to Mech Commander and Fire Emblum. Something that is squad based and has permadeath for characters.

Jagged Alliance 2?

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP

BigRed0427 posted:

Ground Control has permadeath for your units. I'd say it's pretty similar to MechCommander (and pretty fun too, I've been meaning to play it for years and started it up in earnest recently. I'm about halfway through the first campaign and loving it so far)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's not really very much like Fire Emblem; units are almost without exception generics, and if they die they're generally replaced by a rookie squad of the same type before the next mission. It's also realtime.

That said, it's a fantastic game and if you liked MechCommander it's likely you'll enjoy Ground Control as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

BigRed0427 posted:

JA2 is your answer as perviously said. There is a fan-made patch that is reallly awesome and makes things very good, though please read the whole OP: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3053233 turn off the Drassen Counter Attack!!!!

Edit: You'll probably want to gently caress around with the INI files even before you play, (the drassen counterattack) but even after that......... it's never ending.