Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Huge Liability posted:

It's not particularly offensive but I have no clue how to react to it and no idea why she sent this to people. I'm going to try and pretend that I didn't see it and hope that my mom doesn't bring it up.
I found the part about Dr. Spock fairly offensive. I had to look it up, and his sons did not commit suicide. His grandson did, but to use that particularly tragic incident to invalidate all the good work Dr. Spock did for children and mental health in order to...what? Lament the fact that you can't beat your kid anymore without people looking down on you? (Are you saying that poor boy should have had the suicide spanked out of him?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

tek79 posted:

This is one of those questions I think we all know the answer to, but have to bite our tongue a bit in answering, lest we sound like completely condescending pricks. To put it plainly, llibja's Facebook conversation a few posts up are the people we're dealing with here. Not saying all Democrats or liberals aren't prone to believing crazy poo poo, but generally those who do are quickly called out or kept at a distance, whereas a willingness to believe bullshit and a lack of effort in researching things tends to be the norm among Conservatives. I've got tons of liberal friends, and have never once received some bullshit Fwd: from them. I only have a few Conservative friends, I do get and have called them out on these emails. I also think age has a lot to do with it.

I really don't think this is fair at all. Most of my friends have more liberal views, but if you press them you find that they've thought about their beliefs just as much as ignorant conservatives.

They might not send forwards, but you still hear stupid fowardesque poo poo come out of their mouths.

Ignorance is ignorance no matter who told them their views.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

I really don't think this is fair at all. Most of my friends have more liberal views, but if you press them you find that they've thought about their beliefs just as much as ignorant conservatives.

They might not send forwards, but you still hear stupid fowardesque poo poo come out of their mouths.

His whole point was that he doesn't get stupid email forwards from his liberal friends, and he's right. His point has nothing to do with how ignorant your friends are.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Those poor Christians, always getting pushed around for celebrating Christmas.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm tempted to wish them a happy Hanukkah or Ramadan. See how that goes.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Neckbeard v. 2.0 posted:

Ignorance is ignorance no matter who told them their views.

I agree that Liberals can be as guilty as Conservatives in buying into the crazy, but think I should have emphasized this part of my post more:

"Not saying all Democrats or liberals aren't prone to believing crazy poo poo, but generally those who do are quickly called out or kept at a distance, whereas a willingness to believe bullshit and a lack of effort in researching things tends to be the norm among Conservatives."

I know its all anecdotal, but It's always been my experience that when a Liberal talks crazy, they're viewed as such, even by fellow Liberals, and are called out on it or just not engaged. I think that has a lot to do with why you don't see many "lefty" chain emails. They're called bullshit as soon as they hit the ground (if they even exist). I just see less of that kind of thing among Conservatives, who tend to be more reactionary rather than analytical. To be fair, I'm not saying all Conservatives believe these things, but on average they seem to be more prone to.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

tek79 posted:

I agree that Liberals can be as guilty as Conservatives in buying into the crazy, but think I should have emphasized this part of my post more:

"Not saying all Democrats or liberals aren't prone to believing crazy poo poo, but generally those who do are quickly called out or kept at a distance, whereas a willingness to believe bullshit and a lack of effort in researching things tends to be the norm among Conservatives."

I know its all anecdotal, but It's always been my experience that when a Liberal talks crazy, they're viewed as such, even by fellow Liberals, and are called out on it or just not engaged. I think that has a lot to do with why you don't see many "lefty" chain emails. They're called bullshit as soon as they hit the ground (if they even exist). I just see less of that kind of thing among Conservatives, who tend to be more reactionary rather than analytical. To be fair, I'm not saying all Conservatives believe these things, but on average they seem to be more prone to.

Just to expand on your point, Republicans and others of the establishment right were at least giving winks and nods to birthers, and there are several members of Congress who are birthers (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/07/28/birther_enablers).

Contrast that to the left where Democrats were forced to renounce moveon.org for a bad pun.

Conservatives are more prone to crazy in their mainstream.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
So I did some checking. Snopes has a number of chain email claims put out for various liberal things (In June of 2002, Bush did a thing!! , Palin's SAT scores) that are entirely made up, that get forwarded around. So I guess it does happen, we just don't see it, because most of us are liberal and computer-savvy enough to avoid them?

As well, on the subject of who the hell writes chain letters, a poster on Answerbag.com gave a satisfying, yet wholly unverifiable, answer:

Cynic in Tx posted:

Marketing firms hire specialized marketing firms to create chain letters that feed on patriotism, sympathy, guilt & religion. Using imagery and usually totally concocted stories of woe they ask the recipient to please send this on (if you love America, If you don't want a little girl to die, or if you're a "real" Christian). So people do and all these email address and any personal information is gathered and sold to the marketing firm who in turn sales it to corporations. These corporations then use this info for junk mail and other unsolicited crap. So if you're a real Christian American who doesn't want little Amy to die before she signs a petition to keep "In God we trust" on our currency and you want to use your first amendment rights to say no to junk mail then you should send this message of truth on to everyone you know!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

XyloJW posted:

So I did some checking. Snopes has a number of chain email claims put out for various liberal things (In June of 2002, Bush did a thing!! , Palin's SAT scores) that are entirely made up, that get forwarded around. So I guess it does happen, we just don't see it, because most of us are liberal and computer-savvy enough to avoid them?

As well, on the subject of who the hell writes chain letters, a poster on Answerbag.com gave a satisfying, yet wholly unverifiable, answer:

Thing is, how would the marketing firm get the email addresses that the nimrod forwards the email to?

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I finally got one from a liberal!

quote:

>Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee. The water is clean and good because some tree-hugging liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards. With his first swallow of coffee, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to take because some stupid commie liberal fought to insure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance -- now Joe gets it, too. He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because some girly-man liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some crybaby liberal fought for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained. Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because some environmentalist wacko liberal fought for laws to stop industries & government from polluting our air. A different wacked out liberal fought to insure catalytic converters be put on cars/busses/trucks for the purpose of insuring cleaner, fresher air.

He walks to the subway station for his government-subsidized ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some fancy-pants liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement, paid holidays and vacation because some lazy liberal union members fought and died for these working standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees to call the union. If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker's compensation or unemployment check because some stupid liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It's noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is federally insured by the FSLIC because some godless liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression. Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan because some elitist liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated and earned more money over his lifetime.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country. He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some America-hating liberal fought for car safety standards. He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans. The house didn't have electricity until some big-government liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union pension because some wine-drinking, cheese-eating liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps saying that liberals are bad, conservatives are good, and the tea party members have really good ideas. He doesn't mention that the beloved Republicans and Tea Party activists have fought against every one of these protections and benefits Joe enjoys throughout his day.

Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have!

It is hard to mock it when I kinda' agree with it. Then again, it's pretty boring, where is the fear mongering?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Thing is, how would the marketing firm get the email addresses that the nimrod forwards the email to?

I don't understand how computers work.

Edit: I don't know if you're stating that they can't get the addresses, or if you're asking if they can. The answer to the first is "Oh okay, sorry, I don't know how computers work" and the answer to the second is "I don't know how computers work."

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 21, 2010

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

XyloJW posted:

I don't understand how computers work.

Edit: I don't know if you're stating that they can't get the addresses, or if you're asking if they can. The answer to the first is "Oh okay, sorry, I don't know how computers work" and the answer to the second is "I don't know how computers work."

I guess I really don't understand how computers work, and your sarcasm is completely unhelpful.

If you, a marketing company, gin up some bogus feel-good rah rah rightwing email and send it to me, and I, according to your suggestion, forward the email to my right-thinking friends from my contact list, I fail to see how that results in you, the marketing company, getting those email addresses unless I specifically send you those addresses, or, by simply not using BCC, a giant header with all the emails eventually makes it back to you by right wing osmosis or something.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Zwabu posted:

I guess I really don't understand how computers work, and your sarcasm is completely unhelpful.

If you, a marketing company, gin up some bogus feel-good rah rah rightwing email and send it to me, and I, according to your suggestion, forward the email to my right-thinking friends from my contact list, I fail to see how that results in you, the marketing company, getting those email addresses unless I specifically send you those addresses, or, by simply not using BCC, a giant header with all the emails eventually makes it back to you by right wing osmosis or something.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just stating that I don't know if there's some method of doing it. Beyond basic interface, I don't really know all that much about computers, and I will defer to anyone who has greater knowledge on the subject. You asked how they could do that. I said I don't know, can they?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

XyloJW posted:

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just stating that I don't know if there's some method of doing it. Beyond basic interface, I don't really know all that much about computers, and I will defer to anyone who has greater knowledge on the subject. You asked how they could do that. I said I don't know, can they?

Eh never mind, I thought you were saying I was some kind of not-computer-understanding idiot for not seeing the obvious way in which the marketing company gets the emails, I misunderstood your post. No problem.

ThePeteEffect
Jun 12, 2007

I'm just crackers about cheese!
Fun Shoe

XyloJW posted:

If someone's mail gets archived anywhere or if someone is careless/dumb enough to forward to an archived mailing list, it could show up there. The only other thing I could think of is that mail headers somehow bounce back to original sender; mail headers can do weird things regarding addresses, especially if users aren't careful, but I don't know of any offhand that actually get triggered or preserved on forwards and would actually bounce back to the origin unless the forwarder specified or the mail client did something weird.

It could happen, but I think it's a stretch.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

ThePeteEffect posted:

If someone's mail gets archived anywhere or if someone is careless/dumb enough to forward to an archived mailing list, it could show up there. The only other thing I could think of is that mail headers somehow bounce back to original sender; mail headers can do weird things regarding addresses, especially if users aren't careful, but I don't know of any offhand that actually get triggered or preserved on forwards and would actually bounce back to the origin unless the forwarder specified or the mail client did something weird.

It could happen, but I think it's a stretch.

There are a few ways that these emails land you in marketing list hell. One of the older (it's slowly going away) is those little animated pictures that are attached to the message being html linked to a remote server and through browser insecurity loading spyware and tracking cookies. The other is, like you suggested, email headers getting you put on mailing lists. This is usually achieved by marketing companies getting the unsuspecting and uneducated to include an email address in their contacts to make sure their joke-a-day or whatever doesn't end up in the spam filter. Then when you forward that message on to EVERYONE IN YOUR CONTACTS, without using BSS of course, guess who just got all those nice tasty email messages!

Back before I did a general culling of stupid people out of my email list (replying to everyone showing how stupid they are for falling for the fake virus/amber alert usually works in one go) I'd regularly see the headers stacked 5 or 6 forwards deep so each time that ends up getting passed to a marketing company that's potentially a couple hundred addresses spammers can now sell off.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

York_M_Chan posted:

I finally got one from a liberal!

It is hard to mock it when I kinda' agree with it. Then again, it's pretty boring, where is the fear mongering?

That's not a real crazy e-mail forward. The conservative side of it includes murder and intrigue!

quote:

Joe gets up at 5/a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning
coffee. The water is clean and good because it comes from a well Joe's father
dug by hand with no help from any liberal weenies. Joe wants to dig another
well on some property he owns. But some idiot liberals made it a regulation
to require a permit, environmental impact study, and a licensed well-driller.
This would cost Joe about $20,000.00 to do what Joe's dad did with a $2.00 shovel
and a strong back.

As Joe gets ready for work, he notices his calendar on the wall. Joe put a note
on May 15th. Joe figures this is the date that he will finally get to keep some
of his income. Joe has worked through January, February, March, April, and part
of May just to pay all the taxes a bunch of twinkle-toed liberals and RINOs
(Republicans In Name Only) have extorted from him to pay for a myriad if government
freebie programs. Joe is getting really tired of supporting freeloaders who
refuse to work. Unlike most people educated in the liberal public fool system,
Joe can do math! Joe has figured out that the total amount of state and federal
income taxes withheld by government is almost exactly equal to the dollar amount
of liberal unconstitutional income-transfer programs. That is, if programs like:
Welfare, Medicaid, Farm Subsidies, CRP, SSI, SSD, Section 8 Housing, Food Stamps,
PELL grants, etc, were stopped, Joe would not pay ANY income taxes. The government
could run all constitutionally allowable things, like National Defense, using
constitutional taxes like, import duties and excise taxes. And if Joe could
keep his own money, he could easily send his kids and grandkids through college
without any liberal subsidies.

Joe AMERICAN prepares his morning breakfast of bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon and
eggs are safe to eat because Joe raised the hog and the chickens on his own
land. And Joe slaughtered the hog himself. Unfortunately some yuppy-liberal-tree-hugging-enviromentalist-commies,
have recently built HUGE NEW ENERGY-SUCKING houses near Joe. These commie-liberal-tree-hugging-animal-worshipers
have been complaining to the Township Trustees and County Commissioners, about
Joe's hogs and chickens. Not only do they think it is "cruel" and
"stinky" to raise animals in a pen, but when they saw Joe butchering
a hog, they freaked. (It's OK to get your pork in plastic wrapped packages at
the grocery store, but Gaia forbid you would do it yourself.) Although Joe's
family has been raising farm animals on this land since the 1850's, some godless-liberal-pinkos
have got themselves elected to local offices, and may well pass an ordinance
against Joe's inalienable right to farm. These godless liberal tree-huggers
have already passed an ordinance against the local Amish leaving "horse
apples" in the road when riding in their buggies, something they have done
in this area since the 1700's. These big-government idiot liberals have required
the Amish to put "horse diapers" on their horses while in town, they
don't want to hit horse apples with their BMW's.

As Joe AMERICAN gets ready for work, he telephones a local assisted living center,
to let them know he plans to visit after work. Joe's 14-year-old daughter, Angela,
has been in the center recovering from her abortion. You see in 1973, some godless
liberal activist judges declared: any woman can have an abortion; for any reason;
at anytime. Legislating from the bench, these godless liberals said that abortion
does not require parental consent, or even parental knowledge. Angela went to
see the school nurse about her secret pregnancy. While Joe thought she was studying
the three R's, the school nurse took Angela to a Planned Parenthood clinic.
There she got a "safe and legal" abortion. Angela came home on the
school bus as usual. She said she wasn't feeling well and went to her room to
lie down. Joe found his daughter at dinnertime, face down in her room. Joe called
rescue, but not knowing about the abortion had no idea what was wrong. Finally,
a friend of Angela's, who was checking up on her, told the hospital about the
abortion. By this time, Angela was in a coma, caused by septic shock and a perforated
uterus. Now, Angela just sits and rocks in her chair, she may learn to feed
herself again someday.

As Joe AMERICAN arrives at work, he finds the gate to the machine shop locked,
and a security guard trying to calm a group of his co-workers. It seems the
kind of work Joe does, has all been out-sourced to Mexico and Communist China.
During Clinton's communist regime, the flaming card-carrying liberals and the
RINOs (Republicans In Name Only) in Congress passed NAFTA and GATT. And, like
Ross Perot said, that giant sucking sound you heard was all our jobs going south
of the border and overseas.

Well, things could be worse Joe reasons; unemployment is not the end of the
world. Joe goes down to the Union office to cash in his pension and deferred
comp. Joe never cared for their liberal policies and political endorsements,
but at least the Union was good for something. But Joe finds the Union office
cleaned out and locked up. It seems the godless thieving liberal Union mucky
mucks got some advance warning, and absconded with all the pension funds.

Not to be defeated, Joe AMERICAN decides to start his own home-based business.
Joe has his own little machine shop in his barn. That with 25 years experience,
Joe figures he can make parts for some niche markets. Joe lands a couple of
nice little contracts and is off to a good start. Joe soon adds a new lathe,
a screw machine, and employs a couple of his formerly unemployed co-workers--just
in time to save their homes from foreclosure. But the liberal big-government
t**d-sucking Trustees and County Commissioners stop by to see Joe. They say
Joe's land is not zoned for industry. They want to see Joe's permits and licenses.
They want to know where his metal shavings go and, if he has filed all the proper
tax forms. They say he has to shutdown his shop. As the liberal t**d-sucking
commies talk, Joe begins to feel surrounded. Joe begins to feel allot like he
did during a different encounter with commies in 1971 near Da Nang. Joe begins
to get tunnel vision, and Joe's training kicks in. He can hear the CO shouting.
He can hear the choppers coming in for a dust off. He can smell the Napalm.
In the blink of an eye, Joe adds 3 more liberals to his body count. BETTER DEAD
THAN RED Joe says. Now Joe is on a mission, and will soon rid his county of
the Red Liberal Menace.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Burrito posted:

That's not a real crazy e-mail forward. The conservative side of it includes murder and intrigue!

I like how the conservative take on the liberal version above doesn't even attempt to make any realistic or coherent point, and is essentially mental masturbation over some tough-guy, rugged individual fantasy scenario. Joe raises his own hogs for bacon and is prone to 'Nam flashbacks, in which he flips out and kills people. What the gently caress?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ThePeteEffect posted:

Or some mealy-mouthed complaining that "both parties are at fault" or "I'm not biased, I don't trust Republicans either."

To be fair, both are. The Republicans for being pricks, and the Democrats for being absolutely ball-less shriveled scrotums and letting the Reps walk all over them despite a congressional majority.

MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

coffee. The water is contaminated with cholera because Joe didn't want any commie "regulations". Joe dies because he can't afford health insurance.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

MOLLUSC posted:

coffee. The water is contaminated with cholera because Joe didn't want any commie "regulations". Joe dies because he can't afford health insurance.

Joe gets up at 5 AM. The world explodes. Liberals.

VVVVVVV

Naet posted:

Even simpler:

Joe doesn't get up at 5 a.m. because his LIBERAL mother aborted him.

LIBERALS

TGLT fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 21, 2010

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

TGLT posted:

Joe gets up at 5 AM. The world explodes. Liberals.

Even simpler:

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Naet posted:

Even simpler:

Liberals! :argh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I don't know what you guys are talking about, it is a great opening for Falling Down 2.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Burrito posted:

The funniest part of this is where it claims the federal government would be able to support our current military with only "constitutional" taxes. That is just precious. But there's three things I can guarantee about Joe American in that email:

1.) He drilled the well because he thinks the gubmit is putting fluoride in the water, and there is no chance in hell that the well-water is even remotely clean.
2.) He's the exact same type of person you see running puppy mills, and has probably put up a wooden sign with "pigs" sloppily painted on it somewhere up the road.
3.) For all his hatred of the values that are destroying the country, he did sort of murder three people in cold blood because they needed to see his business permits.

So, I think that email is less of a conservative take on a liberal USA and more of a day in the life of a paranoid schitzophrenic.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Blarghalt posted:

So, I think that email is less of a conservative take on a liberal USA and more of a day in the life of a paranoid schitzophrenic.

There's a difference? :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Goddamnit. I just got in an argument with some of my father's tea party friends on his facebook page.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
In the conservative Joe e-mail, what is "t**d"? It doesn't fit with any English curse word that I know.

Also, this thread makes me really happy that my parents don't have internet, even though it means I don't really get to talk to them that much.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Goddamnit. I just got in an argument with some of my father's tea party friends on his facebook page.

I demand screenshots.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Dopilsya posted:

In the conservative Joe e-mail, what is "t**d"? It doesn't fit with any English curse word that I know.

Also, this thread makes me really happy that my parents don't have internet, even though it means I don't really get to talk to them that much.
I believe it is turd...not really a curse word

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dopilsya posted:

toad

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I was reading it as "toad" actually, "turd" never even crossed my mind because it's so light. I guess the sucking part makes it graphic but still "t**d"?

Just the first part of that Joe AMERICAN boils my blood, by almost assuming that I (along with the hundreds of thousands of people directly surrounding me) have some sort of access to safe water without relying on a complex gov't maintained delivery system that ensures safety and reliability. I make my morning coffee with the liberal weenie water - but all I need to do is get access to land with enough room for 2 wells, a hog farm, and a machine shop. Once I bootstrap my way out of this urban hellhole I can drink my coffee without feeling like a pussy.

I'm 85% sure it was written by a liberal to fool people into thinking "OH THOSE CRAZY RIGHT WINGERS", so w/e.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

John Q Russia posted:

I'm 85% sure it was written by a liberal to fool people into thinking "OH THOSE CRAZY RIGHT WINGERS", so w/e.

:lol: You're only 85% sure?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
<---- *whoosh* over my head :shobon:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Ugh, more retardery from friends of family regarding separation of church of state, the O'Donnell debate idiocy, and then every other :bahgawd: thing thereafter. I don't have the energy to reply anymore. :smith:

quote:

Jefferson wasn't even at the Constitutional Convention. And the Convention was just that, a Convention. The Constitution, and the formative documents and ideologies that came out of these meetings were not the ideas of one man. The results were the result of a conglomerate, of debate, and of great compromise. So what one man said, or didn't say, is not relevant when we are making life or death decisions(as it relates to the life or death of the reverence in which the Constitution is to be maintained). There is nothing about the separation of church and state

The statement that judges are to interpret the Constitution to a degree that may change what the document intended is fundamentally wrong. First, the Constitution did NOT intend for judges to "interpret the Constitution" in such a way that would fundamentally change what was, and what was not intended when the Constitution was fundamentally written. Second of all, judiciary precedence is NOT a point of integrity to the argument that would back judges' right to legislate from the bench. I will explain......

1. What is a Constitution? A Constitution by definition, is just that. It is a perennial document outlining, and in our country's case, specifically designating rights and liberties of the citizen. Many argue for a "living breathing constitution". While the Founders clearly gave a process by which the Constitution could evolve, they did not make it easy. To vest that power in one judge, or even 9, is to commit suicide. The Constitution is what it is, and if it is going to be changed, twisted or interpreted, might as well throw the thing out.

2. Judicial Precedence-This is a favorite for statists. When the Court(s) puts itself in situations(as the Supreme Court does elect its cases) to fundamentally change what the Constitution originally intended, is corruption, and those judges are wrong. If we want to go on Judicial Precedence, and have that be our be all end all, then again, we ought to throw out the Constitution. Cases like Plessy vs. Ferguson held that "seperate but equal is equal". That decision stood for more than half a century! That was settled law. Should we just have let it be? What about Korematsu? Dred Scott? Are we going to let the court tell us what the Constitution does and doesn't say, when they clearly usurp their power to a. Legislate on the matter, or b. when they are absolutely dead wrong?

No!

An example as it relates to the topic of enforced secularism by the left....In the case Everson vs Board Of Education in 1947, Hugo Black wrote for a 5-4 decision(he was a former lawyer of the clan) that coined the all famous phrase(a seperation of church and state). This man was an anti catholic, and a conspiracy theorist. This is well known. It is also well known that this was the first time ever, that a court had ruled this way on the matter. So, your claim that this all has stood for 250 years and so on is absolutely wrong as well.

More evidence that that interpretation by a piece of garbage(as his political career went) activist judge, Hugo Black is absolutely wrong, and resembled nothing that the Founders intended is this: The Founders, in nearly every letter of private correspondence, and indeed in nearly every single public document, referenced God, A Creator, And Divine Providence. There were manger scenes in town squares, and Bible passages on the Liberty Bell. There was God on the currency, and prayer(which is still in affect) before the start of every session of the legislature.

Churches have tax exempt status! The left has constantly shrieked that we ought not "subsidize religion". And really, if the Constitution said "Separation between Church and State" they would be absolutely right. So perhaps we ought to make churches pay taxes too. To adopt this logic of a "separation of church and state" and not follow it through to its end, is a huge flaw. If you cannot follow your logic through to the end, then you live by a failed principle.

Lucky for Churches and people of faith, the Constitution doesn't say that.

The Constitution DOES say "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" and yet it even goes on to say "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the evidences of how fatally flawed the system has been allowed to become. The first evil, as always in government, religion, etc, is the extremely corrupting influence of those who think they are smarter than others. They claim that they can interpret the Constitution to make it say what it does not say. They do this, rather than give deference and reverence to perhaps the greatest document in world history. If they would do so, they would have a system, that if followed, not changed has accomplished the greatest feats the world has seen.

In the end, as it regards to this issue alone of the separation of Church and State; the Federal Government has as much right to mandate the secularization of society, as I do to make you pay me a tax for disagreeing with me. What gives the Federal Government the right to tell me and others that a godless evolution of species is a fact and the true story of my origin as a human being. What gives them the right to pull God and morality out of the public forum as if it were some storybook fairy tale? When there is at least just as much logical evidence for a Creator, and there is for an evolution of species with no god, and yet the former is not to even be acknowledged, and in fact is mocked in the public arena, the presence of tyranny is evident. While there may for some reason be argument back and forth on this last paragraph, the fact is that the previously illustrated examples cannot be argued. It is the presence of real facts, and literal examples of what that ideology enshrines, that exposes it for the fraud that it is, and leaves only one standing competitor in the political arena. Conservatism.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

When you write stuff like that, how much of the ignorance is willful? They attribute "separation of church and state" to Hugo Black instead of Thomas Jefferson, but start of with dismissing Jefferson. What prompted them to do handwave away Jefferson? Have they heard of the Treaty of Tripoli?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Turnquiet's family friends posted:

Oh those damned liebrals are interpreting things all wrong and it is the worst. My interpretation is the right one because of a combination of (wishful thinking) and (outright lies). Conservatism.

Sorry to hear your family forces you into contact with mouth breathers.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
I usually just reply with a picture of Ron Jeremy sucking his own dick.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Crazy Uncle posted:

Churches have tax exempt status! The left has constantly shrieked that we ought not "subsidize religion". ... So perhaps we ought to make churches pay taxes too.
Uh, ok. I'm completely in favor of this, though I'm sure if I told the author that he'd shriek that I was trying to tax religion out of existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

quote:

The first evil, as always in government, religion, etc, is the extremely corrupting influence of those who think they are smarter than others. They claim that they can interpret the Constitution to make it say what it does not say.

How do you write this while writing a piece on interpreting the Constitution?