Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
I have an '05 Saabaru 2.0T, and I'm not sure which 'vehicle' I should choose from the drop down on the Jazzy mod site. Does it really matter? I can't remember if the '05 saabaru is equal to the <'04 or >'05 WRX.

Page in question: http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Isaac Asimov posted:

I have an '05 Saabaru 2.0T, and I'm not sure which 'vehicle' I should choose from the drop down on the Jazzy mod site. Does it really matter? I can't remember if the '05 saabaru is equal to the <'04 or >'05 WRX.

Page in question: http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=44

Honestly it'd be cheaper to buy an after market head unit.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!
With 3/32nd's worth of tread left I guess I need to be buying new tires. I guess I need an all-season because I spend most of my time in the bay area with the weekend trip up to tahoe so buying a dedicated summer tire just wouldn't work out, despite me wanting to so badly.

Anyone have experience with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS? Is there a better all season I should be looking at? Should I stick with the stock size or be looking at something else?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Qapf posted:

With 3/32nd's worth of tread left I guess I need to be buying new tires. I guess I need an all-season because I spend most of my time in the bay area with the weekend trip up to tahoe so buying a dedicated summer tire just wouldn't work out, despite me wanting to so badly.

I don't know what subaru you are driving exactly but are you saying that because of occasional trips up to Tahoe you're going to run all seasons all the time? :psyduck:

IMHO I'd tell you to get a set of snow tires and some stock WRX rims/cheap rims for snow season, get some Z1 star specs which will have you completely covered for driving in anything but snow (They have great rain traction).

I think that's going to get you good traction, and be cost effective because your snow tires will last you years. Running the All Seasons you're spending more money on a tire that will be mediocre at everything you're doing.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

Bob Log posted:

I don't know what subaru you are driving exactly but are you saying that because of occasional trips up to Tahoe you're going to run all seasons all the time? :psyduck:

IMHO I'd tell you to get a set of snow tires and some stock WRX rims/cheap rims for snow season, get some Z1 star specs which will have you completely covered for driving in anything but snow (They have great rain traction).

I think that's going to get you good traction, and be cost effective because your snow tires will last you years. Running the All Seasons you're spending more money on a tire that will be mediocre at everything you're doing.

It's more a question of storage space. I live in an apartment in oakland and have no place to keep a second set of tires. I would need to rent a storage unit to have them in, which would be another pile of money per month just to keep my car going. And sorry, I should have specified my car is an 08 WRX

If ya happen to know of a service that will store my tires for me and let me swap em back and forth at will I would far rather have a set of high performance tires i swap out to winters whenever i go hit tahoe for the weekend, but the only way I see to do it would end up costing me $50-70 a month for the honor.

Qapf fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 17, 2010

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Qapf posted:

I live in an apartment in oakland and have no place to keep a second set of tires.

In the Corner of your closet? Friend's house? You do have friends right? The average size closet is going to have room for a stack of four.

I don't have any direct experience with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS but if I was getting all seasons I would be getting them based on what I've read.

Edit: Maybe some other local AI goons would be willing to let you store them at their place if you really have no friends with a corner of a garage for you and you don't have any room in your closets. I would offer but I'm off the beaten path from a direct SF->Tahoe run.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 17, 2010

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If he is in SF, his friends probably have small places also.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

Vladimir Putin posted:

If he is in SF, his friends probably have small places also.

Thats the problem. Everyone I know has a tiny apartment up many flights of stairs. No real place to throw a car up on jack stands and to a tire swap. :( I'd love to make an AI friend and swap cursing and working on some wonderfully insane project for a place to swap tires now and again. Hell I'd just like to work on an insane project every now and again. When I lived in bakersfield I had access to a shop with a lift and had my eternal VW buggy project of never-completedness. Miss those days.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
I live in an 800 square foot apartment. I have two sets of tires in the front hall and bathroom. I don't have a garage, but I do have a parking space, and it takes 10 minutes to swap out tires. Just do it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
So instead of convincing him to do something he's clearly stated he DOESN'T want to do. Why don't we recommend him a decent tire? Oh, that would be too easy. The DWS seems like a good choice and I believe {{{k}}} is running them on his 09. The Bridgestone RE960AS seem to get good reviews as well. 16" WRX wheels will work with our cars and I think tires are cheaper at that size than 17". Although at that point you'd have two complete sets of mounted wheels and you've said you don't want that. Do you hit up Route 9 for some spirited driving? Auto X? Alternative location or event at which you flog the poo poo out of your car? No? Then you'll be perfectly happy with good all season tires. If you drive your car aggressively, regularly then ok you might want to consider stacking a set of wheels in the corner of your living room.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Moruitelda posted:

I live in an 800 square foot apartment. I have two sets of tires in the front hall and bathroom. I don't have a garage, but I do have a parking space, and it takes 10 minutes to swap out tires. Just do it.

How can you fit a set of tires in your bathroom? Do you put it in your tub and then move it out when you want to take a shower?

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Vladimir Putin posted:

How can you fit a set of tires in your bathroom? Do you put it in your tub and then move it out when you want to take a shower?

Behind the door, and I squeeze through since it can't open all the way.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just throw two on each side of the bed, plop a piece of glass over top and call them bedside tables. Bonus storage in the middle.

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

Tremblay posted:

So instead of convincing him to do something he's clearly stated he DOESN'T want to do. Why don't we recommend him a decent tire? Oh, that would be too easy. The DWS seems like a good choice and I believe {{{k}}} is running them on his 09. The Bridgestone RE960AS seem to get good reviews as well. 16" WRX wheels will work with our cars and I think tires are cheaper at that size than 17". Although at that point you'd have two complete sets of mounted wheels and you've said you don't want that. Do you hit up Route 9 for some spirited driving? Auto X? Alternative location or event at which you flog the poo poo out of your car? No? Then you'll be perfectly happy with good all season tires. If you drive your car aggressively, regularly then ok you might want to consider stacking a set of wheels in the corner of your living room.

Thank ya Tremblay. Honestly the car is used to get me to tahoe and back without dying. I love doing an aggressive drive every now and again down route 9 but it's more every couple of months when I have a spare day, not something I do often enough to be keeping 2 sets of tires, TMPS sensors in both and the tool to swap them back and forth because when snow season starts im going to be up there every drat weekend.

The DWS looks to be very highly rated, and also $124 a wheel on tirerack, which helps. On the RE960AS what size should I be looking for to mount up against the OEM 17's? The tirerack picker doesn't show them fitting, but that thing no doubt has very limited information.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My dealership offers a tire storage service so long as you pay them to do the swap at the end of each season. I think my tire shop and local tuner shop do as well. I have a stack of tires in my balcony storage closet that's keeping a shelf up.

My opinion is still that you'd be best off with even a cheap snow tire - it's a significant difference. If you're stuck on an all-season, the DWS is hard to go wrong with.

I think the RE960AS comes in 225/45-17? That fits my 17x7 (stock: 215/45-17). For snow, you probably want narrower, though...

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 18, 2010

Qapf
Oct 20, 2003
Quack!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My dealership offers a tire storage service so long as you pay them to do the swap at the end of each season. I think my tire shop and local tuner shop do as well. I have a stack of tires in my balcony storage closet that's keeping a shelf up.

My opinion is still that you'd be best off with even a cheap snow tire - it's a significant difference. If you're stuck on an all-season, the DWS is hard to go wrong with.

I think the RE960AS comes in 225/45-17? That fits my 17x7 (stock: 215/45-17). For snow, you probably want narrower, though...

On snow tires, don't they degrade quickly if driven in regular temperatures (i.e. 50-60 degrees)? Or is that only some tires.

Qapf fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 18, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Qapf posted:

On snow tires, don't they degrade quickly if driven in regular temperatures (i.e. 50-60 degrees)? Or is that only some tires.
That's pretty much correct. Below about 5'C, all-season tires start to lose their pliability, while snow tires continue to be pliable and grippy - their tread pattern is also designed to crush snow and grab it when the temperature is cold enough to make the snow tire compound solid.

Above 5'C, and especially above 10'C, you start to chew up the snow tires driving on dry tarmac as they remain extremely soft. That said, it's not going to be aggressively quickly degrading - I've driven cars on snow tires all summer and it's only really chewed up another season or two of the tires. Running them for a week when you don't have to won't cause them to get destroyed.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Amandyke posted:

Honestly it'd be cheaper to buy an after market head unit.
Any head units around that price that you guys recommend? Or any that I should really stay away from?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Qapf posted:

Anyone have experience with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS? Is there a better all season I should be looking at? Should I stick with the stock size or be looking at something else?

I installed a set of these on the 840 this summer to replace some severely worn out Kumho Ecsta Supras. I wanted all-seasons since this car sometimes has to pull winter duty, and the DWS had the best reviews on TireRack. Plus they were offering a free Tom Tom GPS with the purchase of 4 Continental tires when I got them. :woop:

Anyway, the ride is nice and smooth and quiet (MUCH better than the Kumhos) and grip is decent, although they lose their composure in hard corners earlier than the Kumhos did. Despite the 275/40s out back, I've never had much of a hydroplaning problem in the fatass 840, but the DWS's plow through standing puddles and what not far better than the Kumhos ever did. Haven't done winter in them yet, so I can't speak on that. Hopefully this car won't be seeing the roads much once it gets really cold, although that hinges on me getting my SVX going before the snow hits.

Basically, my experience has been pretty much the compromises you'd expect to make going from a dedicated summer tire to a decent A/S. A++, would buy DWS again.

And now, some Subaru specific content! Question for Jamal (or anyone who works on lots of Subarus)- do you guys have takeoff STi motor mounts laying around your shop? When I was tearing down the motor in my SVX yesterday prepping it for removal, I took a peek at my engine mounts and they're trashed. Like, split, sagging, and leaking trashed. New SVX mounts seem to be dealer-only, and list online for $174 EACH :lol:. After some research, I found that WRX / STi mounts will work on the SVX with a bit of modification, so I'm looking for a (hopefully lightly) used set of those to drop in. So, if anyone has these and wants to get rid of them, shoot me an email at eharding at gmail, and maybe we can work something out? I'd also be interested in the dogbone mount / pitching stopper up top, as I'm sure that's due as well.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah I have a set in my garage somewhere. You don't have pms so send me an email. peter at aqmotorsports dot com

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 19, 2010

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So this is an ubernoob question for those of you living in the Pacific Northwest (where I just moved) driving a Subaru (which I just purchased) into the mountains for skiing (specifically Mt. Hood):

If I have decent all-seasons (Pirelli Nero M+S), should I also have a set of snow tires? I'm hoping to go skiing ~3 times a month this winter, and I have a set of snow tires mounted on stock LGT wheels. The trouble is that the wheels are in Arizona and I'd have to ship them to Portland. Worth the hassle/expense to ship them?

E: thanks, have a picture of my car

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 21, 2010

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
yes

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sockington posted:

Just throw two on each side of the bed, plop a piece of glass over top and call them bedside tables. Bonus storage in the middle.

I've heard that tires slowly give off some chemical used in their manufacture, which isn't good for breathing. Is that true?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

jamal posted:

Yeah I have a set in my garage somewhere. You don't have pms so send me an email. peter at aqmotorsports dot com

email sent...sorry, missed this earlier :rolleye:

Sterndotstern posted:

If I have decent all-seasons (Pirelli Nero M+S), should I also have a set of snow tires? I'm hoping to go skiing ~3 times a month this winter, and I have a set of snow tires mounted on stock LGT wheels. The trouble is that the wheels are in Arizona and I'd have to ship them to Portland. Worth the hassle/expense to ship them?

Absolutely. Or, it may even be cheaper to look for a good used set on your local CL. Either way, use the snows. My Subaru with snows on laughs at anything I throw at it (when it's working that is :v:). The first winter I did in it, I couldn't believe how awesome it was in that poo poo. I could be parked under 8" of fresh snowfall at the bottom of the driveway, clear off the windshield just enough to see out of, and just plow out of it and be on my way. Now before anyone gets all :nyd: I never actually did this, I'm not one of those dipshits who drives around with 250 lbs of snow piled on their car because I'm too lazy to brush it off OK. Anyways, the BMW with decent all seasons will sit there and spin the wheels all day long in even a light dusting - forget about taking that car anywhere in any type of moderate / heavy snowfall.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
So when I bought my 2011 WRX on Tuesday, the Financing and Sales guys told me that a new bulletin came out saying all Turbos have to undergo a service every 38k miles. (:psyduck:)

I haven't found any specifics about this and don't know what exactly this service would entail but it was suggested it was mostly removing it and checking it for play.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 21, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I haven't heard ANYTHING about that anywhere.

At any rate, it doesn't sound like it would be cheap and since it's within the drivetrain warranty period it sounds required. Hopefully that guy just doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

bull3964 posted:

I haven't heard ANYTHING about that anywhere.

I forgot to mention that when I told them that and pushed the point they said it had to do with the mandatory change to full synthetic :psyboom:

They generally seemed to be insinuating that they were concerned about what running full synthetic would do to the turbo but I see no grounds to be worried about it. I'm not even sure they knew what they were talking about. 38k doesn't really seem to make sense to me either since I would figure they'd lump it in with the 30k service and it would be out of warranty by 2k miles. Amandyke was there with me picking up my 2011 but I'm unsure if he overheard them talking about it directly.

This was at Stevens Creek Subaru in San Jose.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 21, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Most of the dealers don't know WTF with service for the 2011 models yet. I know someone on NASIOC (who happened to buy his car from the same dealer I'm getting mine from) has been in contact with SOA over the whole oil thing and they've been giving him info about the oil requirements and change interval. Not once did they mention anything like this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ooohh Stevens Creek, really?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I heard it when he mentioned it. And it didn't make a lick of sense to me. Is it in the manual? If it's not in there, that guy can go pound sand. Why would they add an out of interval required service just to *check* the turbo? And at 38k miles? If they're concerned about what full synth would do to the turbo, they should have checked that in house before they shipped the cars out. Why would you force the owner to do what would be a rather expensive service for what amounts to Subaru Research? Does not compute

And that finance guy's hair... Why? Why was it so spikey? Did we hit a wormhole that took us back to 1998?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Isaac Asimov posted:

2005/06 Impreza 6CD (P-133).

Take your time and be patient, it's easier than it looks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

This just hit Subaru Net today.

quote:

DATE: 10/21/2010

As you all know, 2011 Forester as well as 2011 Turbo model vehicles are now required to exclusively use synthetic oil. Subaru's recommended intervals for these vehicles is 7500 miles/7.5 months.

Looks like the real reason why they moved to synthetic is so they could up the OCI.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

bull3964 posted:

This just hit Subaru Net today.

Looks like the real reason why they moved to synthetic is so they could up the OCI.

Jesus loving Christ. I signed up for the package deal that has SOA do all my oil changes and scheduled maintenance for the length of the warranty. If this means they're only going to change my oil 5 times in 36k miles I'm going to ask for my money back. It made sense with full synthetic changes every 3k miles and the 10/30k services for 1800 bucks but not so much this way.

Edit: checked the contract and it specifically states 3000 per change so they can't change the interval on me. I figured the 30k service was more in depth and would cost about 1k, but apparently I was thinking of the 50k service.

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 22, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not even sure it made sense then since the most PITA thing maintenance-wise before was the coolant change and they put 10 year coolant in them now. I'm not even sure if they specify a gear oil change in the tranny and diff anymore at any particular interval, only inspection.

Basically, they would be changing a few filters and the rest would be oil changes. I'm not sure that's worth 1800 even if they were every 3k.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I'm not even sure it made sense then since the most PITA thing maintenance-wise before was the coolant change and they put 10 year coolant in them now. I'm not even sure if they specify a gear oil change in the tranny and diff anymore at any particular interval, only inspection.

Basically, they would be changing a few filters and the rest would be oil changes. I'm not sure that's worth 1800 even if they were every 3k.

I think they tranny and diff fluids are scheduled to be done at 30 or 36k. Been a while since I looked though.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Bob Log posted:

Jesus loving Christ. I signed up for the package deal that has SOA do all my oil changes and scheduled maintenance for the length of the warranty. If this means they're only going to change my oil 5 times in 36k miles I'm going to ask for my money back. It made sense with full synthetic changes every 3k miles and the 10/30k services for 1800 bucks but not so much this way.

Edit: checked the contract and it specifically states 3000 per change so they can't change the interval on me. I figured the 30k service was more in depth and would cost about 1k, but apparently I was thinking of the 50k service.

If you're talking the Subaru Added Security plan, then yeah, if you specifically asked for it or you change to a dealership that doesn't push it so much, you might get some brief confusion when scheduling service every 3 months, but other than that it's rather painless. I opted for the same plan for my 2.5i and the most hassle I've gotten is having to be patient on one phone call and explain that yes, I really do want to schedule a service even though I haven't driven 3700 miles since the last one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tremblay posted:

I think they tranny and diff fluids are scheduled to be done at 30 or 36k. Been a while since I looked though.

Someone posted the maintenance page from the 2011 WRX/STI service manual on Nasioc. It only has "I" listed for the differential and transmission gear oils at 30k intervals.

The only "R" listings besides the engine oil and belts are air filter and brake fluid every 30k while the spark plugs and fuel filters get replaced every 60k.

This was before the bulletin today to change the oil change interval to 7500 miles. Really, the only thing a service package will end up doing before the 36k mark is a few oil changes, an air filter, and a brake fluid flush.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 22, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Am I being an awful WRX owner if I change my oil at around 5k miles? It's on Mobil1. :ohdear:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Am I being an awful WRX owner if I change my oil at around 5k miles? It's on Mobil1. :ohdear:

If you are worried about it send sample off to be tested. Like I said earlier I run Shell Rotella T6 synth for 8000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm running Rotella T 5w40 synth in my 02 wrx now. However, I'm trying to figure out what to run in the new car when I get it since it is going to require 5w30 synthetic and I haven't heard very good things about that weight of Mobile 1. I need to check autozone and see if they carry german castrol.

I really don't want to get into ordering moon oils from the interwebs every time I need to do an oil change.