Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Frinkahedron posted:

How does an ME program not require you to take Thermo, Fluids, Deforms, etc in the first place? My senior year is pretty much all lab work and application-type courses. Sophomore and Junior year was when I did the nitty gritty stuff like endless amounts of thermo problems.

e: I guess if I had to choose it'd be A because a lot of employers looking for MEs want someone who understands pumps/heat/energy because pretty much everything that requires energy will require an ME designing something along those lines. But then you don't have a materials course that helps you decide what material to use or a deforms course to make sure you know how to calculate the material's breaking point.... weird.
Yeah this is what I was trying to say. Many of those courses listed look like core ME topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know about grounding rods for buildings (not homes), or where to find info about them? I mean, how long should they be, how deep should they be buried, what to fill the hole with, etc.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Anyone know of some free, easy to use motion control software? Id like to build a satellite or horn antenna that picks up wifi and have it move in azimuth and elevation controlled by servo motors with encoders for feedback and motion control. I know very little about these things really this will be a first attempt type deal. Id like to basically be able to type in a polar coordinate or unit vector and it point in that direction.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 14, 2010

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds really expensive to buy.

Do you want to learn all about the wonderful world of micro controllers?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Plinkey posted:

EDIT: Moving to a DIY thread

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Plinkey posted:

Funny that you mentioned that. I'm a junior EE major and I've started having interviews and talking to companies about internships and co-ops and such. I'm a strong student and I'm confident in my abilities but the one thing I'm missing to really be a good candidate to hire is more projects and such out of class that are relevant to my field. I just got a microcontroller kit for one of my classes and I'm interested in doing some work with it out of class but I'm at a loss for ideas.

I know google has a lot of stuff but most of the things I find are more "lets build cool gadgets" oriented where I'm more looking for a programming challenge that wouldn't involve buying much additional equipment beyond the basic stuff I have like an LED display and switches and such. Does anyone have some ideas for neat projects that are more programming oriented?

Also if anyone has any tips for me being at this stage I would really appreciate it. I'm really not used to the whole talking with companies and networking stuff, and I'd like to get that taken care of soon so I can get something good lined up for the summer.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

You could make a tone generator/music box. You'll need to create a digital to analog converter, either using a resistor ladder or PWM if your microcontroller has a PWM output. You then hook this up to a headphone jack and plug in some powered speakers (because the signal will be pretty weak and will require amplification). You can set up switches to modify the tone or the pattern or whatever.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sweet As Sin posted:

Does anyone know about grounding rods for buildings (not homes), or where to find info about them? I mean, how long should they be, how deep should they be buried, what to fill the hole with, etc.
National Electric Code has minimum requirements for this, and is likely what you're looking for. There is no one easy answer, as it varies by soil type and what's in the building.

You could google MIL-HDBK-1012/1 for more detailed information on grounding for datacenters, too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MaxxBot posted:

Projects...

Pressure sensitive beer pong table with scoreboard.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

MaxxBot posted:

I know google has a lot of stuff but most of the things I find are more "lets build cool gadgets" oriented where I'm more looking for a programming challenge that wouldn't involve buying much additional equipment beyond the basic stuff I have like an LED display and switches and such. Does anyone have some ideas for neat projects that are more programming oriented?

Get a push button and an LED. Have the LED turn on at a semi-random time and measure the time it takes you to hit button after the LED turns on and display it on an LCD screen.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

grover posted:

National Electric Code has minimum requirements for this, and is likely what you're looking for. There is no one easy answer, as it varies by soil type and what's in the building.

You could google MIL-HDBK-1012/1 for more detailed information on grounding for datacenters, too.

Thank you! I did find some info, but this should be better. I'm off to google it.

Zachsta
Jun 13, 2007

by T. Fine
I'm 27 and interested in going back to get a Bachelor's in Civil Engineering. I have a 4 year degree in architecture, which I originally intended as part of a "4+2" program in which the "2" is a 2 years master's degree that is necessary to become licensed. However, after spending most of college and a few years professional life designing, I really feel like I have a pretty good idea how to lay out a building and I'm dubious I would learn enough to make getting a master's completely worth the time and money, if not for the licensing aspect. Math has always come easy for me and I enjoyed my structural engineering classes in college, as well as a few non-credit night courses in basic mechanical and electrical engineering for buildings I've taken since. I figure getting a second Bachelor's might be less glamorous but would be very marketable at architecture/engineering firms, I would still end up with a license, and I would enjoy my time doing it more. Any suggestions on programs? Can it really be compressed into 2 years? Are there any part-time options at all? I live in NYC and would really prefer staying at least around the northeast, BTW.

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010
I'm a junior in Computer Engineering at Clemson.

And I'm quitting this semester and going into Audio Technology.

It might just be Clemson's program, but whatever this is, it is NOT engineering. Memorizing formulas and doing labs where all you do is collect data and spit it out is NOT engineering.

But to be honest, I really want to work with music more, and realize now that I don't care about how much money I make, I just want to do cool poo poo.

Not totally trying to discourage anyone from going into engineering, but I advise you to REALLY think about what your passion in life is and act accordingly. If you absolutely don't care about how hard or monotonous the schooling is and you want a degree that will get you in the door for doing awesome engineering stuff, I suppose go ahead. But be SURE.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 10, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Are there any schools that are particularly amenable to transfer students? I want to do aero/astro (preferably astro) if that makes a difference.

riichiee
Jul 5, 2007

40sTheme posted:

But to be honest, I really want to work with music more, and realize now that I don't care about how much money I make, I just want to do cool poo poo.

What area of music do you have in mind?

Almost all area's of music/audio engineering are pretty darn hard to break into. I work in an industry (Audio Visual Integration) that employs alot of ex-audio guys and the general feeling is that field is shrinking extremely fast.

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

riichiee posted:

What area of music do you have in mind?

Almost all area's of music/audio engineering are pretty darn hard to break into. I work in an industry (Audio Visual Integration) that employs alot of ex-audio guys and the general feeling is that field is shrinking extremely fast.

To be honest I'll do anything.

Production, engineering, live sound, etc.

As to the other guy up there who replied to my post, these classes (for the most part) do not help you think like an engineer. Also, why can't these classes involve fun things as well? Why don't they have design projects to reinforce the fundamentals being taught? Why aren't the labs useful for understanding how different components truly operate? In other words, what is the point of doing this stuff if grad school is the only interesting, useful part?

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
I'm having trouble deciding what major to pick when I go to college. I've narrowed it down to mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and biomedical engineering.

If I do Mechanical, it would probably be with a focus on biomechanical stuff. I'm wary of taking biomechanics as an actual major, due to job prospects. It seems to be a relatively new thing.

Same deal with Biomedical. This is if Biomechanical and mechanical don't turn out to be what I have in mind, I might go with this. I've herd bad things about employment prospects for these guys though, something about being a jack-of-a;; trades, master of none.

To give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for, I once saw a video of a dude who got a robot hand after his normal one was cut off due to cancer. It was connected with his nervous system, so he could move it like he would a normal hand, and he even had feeling in it. I know I'm probably not going to get in on such a high-level project in my future, but I'm wondering what field of study I would have to get into to do things of a similar, lower-scale nature.

Electrical Engineering is cause I had a teacher in high school that let us make our own circuitboards and do some cool poo poo. I made a TENS unit once, laser light boards, simple things. I want to make more cool poo poo in the future. I think I heard something about a device that shorted out all electronic/radio communications within 30 feet of it that someone made for a project in college, and I thought that was pretty cool.

What I'm asking from you guys is to tell me what these majors are really like. Are Biomechanics and Biomedical viable, or will I be poor and unemployed after college? Do electrical engineers really make lots of cool poo poo? Is mechanical better that either of the two biological options above.

Also appreciated would be college suggestions for the above programs, if you think your college is particularly mentionable. I already have a few picks of my own, but new info on that front is always welcome.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

40sTheme posted:

To be honest I'll do anything.

Production, engineering, live sound, etc.

As to the other guy up there who replied to my post, these classes (for the most part) do not help you think like an engineer. Also, why can't these classes involve fun things as well? Why don't they have design projects to reinforce the fundamentals being taught? Why aren't the labs useful for understanding how different components truly operate? In other words, what is the point of doing this stuff if grad school is the only interesting, useful part?

I got to do all sorts of fun projects in undergrad engineering. You just got unlucky, I guess :(

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Globofglob posted:

I'm having trouble deciding what major to pick when I go to college. I've narrowed it down to mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and biomedical engineering.
Your first two years will be identical courses regardless of which of these your choose, giving you another 2 years to decide. It's not until your 3rd year that you'll start taking a lot of discipline-specific courses.

My advice is to go generic. EE and ME degrees can go towards just about any job, but if you do something super-specific, your options are rather narrow and you'll have a much harder chance of finding a job.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

BeefofAges posted:

I got to do all sorts of fun projects in undergrad engineering. You just got unlucky, I guess :(

Me too, shampoo machine! magnets! seeing someone almost catch fire because someone screwed up with the transformer! Wait, that was actually really scary.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Globofglob posted:

If I do Mechanical, it would probably be with a focus on biomechanical stuff. I'm wary of taking biomechanics as an actual major, due to job prospects. It seems to be a relatively new thing.

Same deal with Biomedical. This is if Biomechanical and mechanical don't turn out to be what I have in mind, I might go with this. I've herd bad things about employment prospects for these guys though, something about being a jack-of-a;; trades, master of none.

To give you guys an idea of what I'm looking for, I once saw a video of a dude who got a robot hand after his normal one was cut off due to cancer. It was connected with his nervous system, so he could move it like he would a normal hand, and he even had feeling in it. I know I'm probably not going to get in on such a high-level project in my future, but I'm wondering what field of study I would have to get into to do things of a similar, lower-scale nature.

Electrical Engineering is cause I had a teacher in high school that let us make our own circuitboards and do some cool poo poo. I made a TENS unit once, laser light boards, simple things. I want to make more cool poo poo in the future. I think I heard something about a device that shorted out all electronic/radio communications within 30 feet of it that someone made for a project in college, and I thought that was pretty cool.

What I'm asking from you guys is to tell me what these majors are really like. Are Biomechanics and Biomedical viable, or will I be poor and unemployed after college? Do electrical engineers really make lots of cool poo poo? Is mechanical better that either of the two biological options above.

Also appreciated would be college suggestions for the above programs, if you think your college is particularly mentionable. I already have a few picks of my own, but new info on that front is always welcome.

Do mechanical engineering for undergrad and do biomedical engineering in grad school. Maybe take biomedical tech electives if you can for undergrad, but I wouldn't specialize so much right up front.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
A good portion (maybe half) of the BME people at my school are planning to go to med school. We do get a lot of recruiters for biomedical, but most will take mechanical engineers too. I'd just go mechE and take some biomedical courses as electives.

T.H.E. Rock fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 22, 2010

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
My school offers only environmental engineering, civil engineering, and bioengineering (but they talk about how the field of bio-medical engineering is rapidly-growing on the major website).

The impression I have is that these are overly-general degrees that will make it difficult to find work after school. Is that true?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
As someone actively hunting for internships and co-ops, my best advice is this: go into Electrical Engineering. Those guys have 100% employment, often getting bids before they graduate. Because of the club I'm in I talk to a lot of recruiters, and the always ask me to refer any of my EE friends to them. The feeling I got in undergrad so far, from professors and other students, is that electricity is magic, and EE's are wizards.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 10, 2023

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NomNomNom posted:

As someone actively hunting for internships and co-ops, my best advice is this: go into Electrical Engineering.

"You're a EE? Oh, so you can do pretty much anything right?"

I've actually heard this from senior engineers I work with.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Our mechatronics class always had higher co-op placement rates than the EE class in the same stream as us :smug:

Mechatronics: EE but more.

Of course now my job title is "electrical engineer", so I guess I lost in the end.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Zo posted:

Our mechatronics class always had higher co-op placement rates than the EE class in the same stream as us :smug:

Mechatronics: EE but more.

Of course now my job title is "electrical engineer", so I guess I lost in the end.
I was electromechanical but got hired as an EE, too, so yeah.

Safe and Secure!: Generic is GOOD! Far better than specific; opens up a lot more doors. Nobody hardly ever gets hired doing exactly what they were studying in college, the job market just doesn't work that way. Enviro is huge right now, but is another one of those specialized fields. Of those, I'd go with Civil. Also, I'd switch to an engineering school. Yours is pretty clearly not an engineering school, you're much more likely to get a better engineering education in one with a better engineering department.

40sTheme
Oct 21, 2010

BeefofAges posted:

I suppose...
We have so much busy work it's like they try to discourage us to do anything truly interesting.

Where did you go to school?

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

40sTheme posted:

I suppose...
We have so much busy work it's like they try to discourage us to do anything truly interesting.

Where did you go to school?

University of California, Irvine. Don't get me wrong, we had tons of homework and boring stuff to do, but we also had fun projects.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Homework is completely optional anyways. Unless you're in some shitass glorified daycare college, you're expected to make your own decisions. If you don't like busywork just don't do the busywork (I never did)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Zo posted:

Homework is completely optional anyways. Unless you're in some shitass glorified daycare college, you're expected to make your own decisions. If you don't like busywork just don't do the busywork (I never did)

Quoted for untruth. When your homework's are two-week long affairs that comprise 40% of your final grade, that's hardly optional. I've had classes like this since freshman year. The only classes I had where homework was "optional" were out of major prerequisites, like calc and such; even then you more or less had to do the homework to have a prayer of understanding the material.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

NomNomNom posted:

Quoted for untruth. When your homework's are two-week long affairs that comprise 40% of your final grade, that's hardly optional. I've had classes like this since freshman year. The only classes I had where homework was "optional" were out of major prerequisites, like calc and such; even then you more or less had to do the homework to have a prayer of understanding the material.
This REALLY depends on the prof. For some classes, attendance and homework really are optional, and if you know the material, you can show up for the tests and get an A. Others take attendance and heavily grade busywork. gently caress those teachers; I was in college to learn, not to play their little games, so I didn't. Hence why I graduated with an excellent education but mediocre grades in a number of classes.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, I much preferred the classes where the grade was based entirely on tests (and possibly projects). Being graded on homework is lame.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
A lot of idiots need that as a transition from highschool to college. Rateyourprof.com is awesome for weeding this inane stuff out though.

How prevalent is drug testing, all you grads?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

A lot of idiots need that as a transition from highschool to college. Rateyourprof.com is awesome for weeding this inane stuff out though.

How prevalent is drug testing, all you grads?
I'm a federal worker, so it may be different for me, but though they threaten random drug screenings, and hit the military I work with constantly, I've never had a random drug screening. They did drug tests at the annual physical I had to take in my last federal job (was an industrial job so they screened for all sorts of long-term injuries), but I always knew about that 30 days in advance.

I'd never use illegal drugs while I have this job. Not for any moral objection or anything, I just I can't risk getting fired.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just do the loving homework. Don't piss away thousands of dollars to play WoW for an extra few hours.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
Is 1 problem set a week per class really so much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I think homework has a place in college depending on the subject matter. I'm a CS major and I don't think I would understand most of the core CS concepts nearly as well if I hadn't had to implement them in code.