Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

EDIT: Here's a thought: how come nobody's made a traditional-narrative version of this? A murder mystery done in a single zoom leading to a revelation? Sounds good to me, b.

Because that would take actual talent and effort. It seems very few people are interested in making both formal structuralist exercises and engaging films. It's good you got something out of Wavelength, all I got was a headache. I will say, though, I'll never forget Wavelength, whereas I had totally forgotten that I'd seen T,O,U,C,H,I,N,G (which may well be more unbearable) until I looked it up, so I guess that counts for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'm not sure I did get anything out of it. It was an interesting challenge of a movie, but I didn't really feel anything but dizzy when it was done.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

Wavelength is something I never want to see again ever, but actually wasn't as difficult as I was expecting. Compared to something like T.O.U.C.H.I.N.G. or La Monte Young's Black Album (to say nothing of Jay-Z's), I could've watched it standing on my head. Is it weird that I felt a strong influence on The Shining? I don't have much to say about it now that it's done, but I wasn't able to take my eyes away from it. I need a walk.

I had a half a bottle of gin this morning and watched Wavelength this evening and Wavelength BY FAR left me feeling dizzier and more blurry-eyed.

EDIT: Here's a thought: how come nobody's made a traditional-narrative version of this? A murder mystery done in a single zoom leading to a revelation? Sounds good to me, b.

When we watched it in class me and my friends spent the next few weeks walking in front of each other and spontaneously dying in as hilarious a fashion as the guy in Wavelength. I think it's such an overrated piece of experimental film, but Michael Snow is actually a pretty cool filmmaker overall.

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
penismightier- you get Saddle the Wind

I wouldn't call Bullet in the Head my favorite John Woo film (that's reserved for Hard Boiled), but I did enjoy it. It's definitely the most personal and emotional that I've seen of his and probably the best story-wise. I'm glad I saw it, but not sure if I want to put myself through that emotional wringer again.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
2) The Seventh Seal- gotta start somewhere with Bergman
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) The Shining- staying with the horror genre, no excuse for this one
8) Jackie Brown- this slipped through the cracks on me, no excuse
9) Mulholland Drive- more David Lynch to explore
10) My Darling Clementine- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

7) The Shining- staying with the horror genre, no excuse for this one
A classic in its own right and fits the theme of the month well.

Well it took me a month to watch, but I finally got around to Braveheart and wish I could've watched it sooner. A fantastic film that does butcher history, but definitely works out in pure entertainment value. It certainly makes you want to get up and kick some rear end afterwards.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens
The Great Escape - I guess I'll use this to throw movies in more of an action type mold together. Although this movie may be loosely using the term, still don't know why I've never seen it.

2. Citizen Kane
To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Rear Window
Vertigo - Keeping with Hitchcock/Stewart theme.

4. A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Strangelove
Blue Velvet - I've never seen a Lynch movie, and I'm changing this upon request that it would be a better movie for a first time Lyncher.

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull
Seven Samurai - Top movie I haven't seen on the top 250.

6. Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E
Ratatouille - To continue the Pixar spree.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption
Schindler's List
The Green Mile
Braveheart
Unforgiven - I'm just going to throw 90s movies in this slot.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Can't get enough James Stewart on one list.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now - Keeping with a war theme.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

marioinblack watch Apocalypse Now.

I watched City Lights and while I didn't laugh very much (except at the hilarious boxing match scene) I did find the romance between the Tramp and the flower girl to be very touching. The ending warmed my cold, black heart. The lack of dialogue didn't bother me at all, though I definitely still prefer it.

1. Seven Samurai - I've seen Yojimbo and Rashomon and enjoyed them both, I'm sure I'll like this as well but I haven't gotten around to watching it due to its length.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

3. 8 1/2 - I know nothing about this except that it is highly regarded.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Adaptation - Seems like a logical replacement for Eternal Sunshine.

6. The Trial - I'm just Super Gay for Orson Welles, I guess.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief - It has the the highest PSI on my Criticker page, besides that I don't know anything about it.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas
Annie Hall - Never seen a Woody Allen movie.

10. The Thin Blue Line
Harlan County, U.S.A. - Another documentary that I want to see at some point.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Well, it seems I took a break back in August...

M - The first 3 quarters seemed a bit slow, but at the same time it built up for a very strong finish and I was on my toes the whole time.
It was kinda interesting as some parts during the investigation felt satirical towards the Police which felt odd. Peter Lorre's character had a very strong presence even though he did not have that much screen time. The ending was on the other hand fantastic. 8/10

Atheistdeals.com: Watch Seven Samurai. If you liked Yojimbo and Rashomon, well get ready for this.

1. 400 Blows
I bought this together with Diary of a Country Priest on Criterion but since I had not wanted to see The 400 Blows for as long as Country Priest, I never got around to it. Also, I have never seen French New Wave before.

2. Lolita
On my shelf I have every Kubrick movie which I was going to through chronologically (I have seen Full Metal Jacket, Clockwork Orange and 2001 before), but when I got up to Lolita I just stopped. I have seen bits on TV but it looks so bland... I love Kubrick so I will give it a shot.

3. Hamnstad (Port of Call)
When I heard about Criterion's Eclipse series I was really excited about this since Ingmar Bergman is a person and director I hold in high respect, but I just stopped watching when I got to this. Also after I finish this box I will watch...

4. Jungfrukällan (The Virgin Spring)
No real excuse here.

5. M
Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse
More Fritz Lang. I think I have seen this mentioned here in the thread.

6. Metropolis
Le samourai
Have been interested in this for quite some time.

7. Rashômon
Yojimbo
A Fistful of Dollars
Never seen any of the "Dollar" movies.

8. Psycho
I really do not have a good excuse here, though I have not seen too many Hitchcock's either except from Vertigo, Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much.

9. Three Colours
Never seen a Kieselowski before but I know I should.

10. Låt Den Rätte Komma In (Let The Right One In)
The Royal Tenenbaums
Bought this on Criterion for cheap on an auction site and it has been sitting left unseen on my shelf ever since. Also, never seen a Wes Andersson.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

von Braun posted:

10.The Royal Tenenbaums
Bought this on Criterion for cheap on an auction site and it has been sitting left unseen on my shelf ever since. Also, never seen a Wes Andersson.

I'm a huge Wes Andersson fan, so you get to watch this! It really is very good, and if you like, I suggest you move directly to Rushmore, my absolute favorite of his.

Okay, so finally finished The Pianist. It was pretty good. Although, I don't see what was so spectacular about it. Good, yes. Amazing, no. Adrien Brody was great and it's a very touching story, but it's just the same poo poo about how horrible the Holocaust was. Don't get me wrong, I think it was horrible, it's just that movie didn't bring a new spin on it, or a new side, or new information. It was just a story of the Holocaust. Still very good!

Here's my updated list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Another film I've fallen asleep attempting to watch several times. Always right around the space part starts. I've seen the ending, but have no idea how it connects with the movie. The whole thing just seems boring.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. The Red Shoes. The only thing I really know about this movie I learned from the musical Chorus Line (which is loving awesome in it's own right and everyone should see it). I hope it's as good as everyone makes it out to be.

4. Tombstone. Not a fan of westerns, but I've realized this only applies to old westerns, like...pre 1970's where it was all about being a macho man. I think I should give this one a shot.

5. The Deer Hunter. Don't know a lot about this one, just that it has a young Christopher Walken in it and there is an intense Russian roulette scene. But I hear it's good, so I'm adding it to the list.

6. The Kite Runner. I've heard nothing but amazement over this movie, but I really don't like the Middle East wars and I think this would just make me unable to appreciate the movie? I hope I'm wrong.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. Rabbit Proof Fence. My dad has been trying to get me to see this one since he saw it, saying it's fantastic. Just never got around to it.

10. Vertigo. I've seen introductory Hitchcock like The Birds and Psycho, but never got into his more mindfuck films. I suppose this would be a good place to start.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood; Do The Right Thing; The Graduate; Rocky; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly; A Streetcar Named Desire; Apocalypse Now; Children of a Lesser God; City of God; The Pianist

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 22, 2010

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, so finally finished The Pianist. It was pretty good. Although, I don't see what was so spectacular about it. Good, yes. Amazing, no. Adrien Brody was great and it's a very touching story, but it's just the same poo poo about how horrible the Holocaust was. Don't get me wrong, I think it was horrible, it's just that movie didn't bring a new spin on it, or a new side, or new information. It was just a story of the Holocaust. Still very good!

I think what makes it special is that it's not just a grim film. It's a grim film done by Roman Polanski, the king of misery. His style lends, at least in my eyes, a unique filmic take on the event, though I can understand where you're coming from.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Bodnoirbabe, I'm gonna pay it forward on your rear end and give you the second best movie I saw from this thread: The Red Shoes.

Saddle the Wind was good, but one of Serling's least impressive scripts. Some loose ends and a half-assed love story. John Cassavetes plays the bad guy and starts out great, but can't quite pull it off. Still, the energy he puts into his first few scenes is a breath of fresh air. The genre could use that raw method energy. Donald Crisp, Royal Dano, and Douglas Spencer all round out a solid supporting class.

The gunfighter-going-straight subgenre is my favorite (Shane, A Gunfight, Unforgiven, The Gunfighter. Yee-haw), and this is a decent example of it. So that's cool, I guess. Worth checking out, for sure. And I gotta admit, it's nice to get back to my ol' bread-and-butter CinemaScope westerns.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Partie de campagne More Renoir, why not?

Yesterday Girl Kluge is my biggest gap in the German New Wave.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Late Spring Love that Ozu

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Written on the Wind Sirk-a-thon 2010

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I think what makes it special is that it's not just a grim film. It's a grim film done by Roman Polanski, the king of misery. His style lends, at least in my eyes, a unique filmic take on the event, though I can understand where you're coming from.

Hmmm... The only Polanski film I've seen is Rosemary's Baby, so I didn't know what to look for for his style. Perhaps once I've seen more of his stuff, I'll come back to this and appreciate it more.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and it seems that Chinatown is ALSO a Polanski film, and one I was not very impressed with, having had to watch it for this very thread. I guess I just don't "get" the genius of him. His movies are good, but I don't see how they're phenomenal. Here's my original review of Chinatown:

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, so I finally got around to watching Chinatown. I just don't get it what is so spectacular about it. Sure, the actors were all good, Nicholson being incredible, but it just didn't hit a nerve with me. As a matter of fact, I found a good portion of the movie boring. I just didn't care about anyone in that movie besides Nicholson and his reasons for wanting to get to the bottom of what was happening weren't that exciting. Also, I don't know why it's called Chinatown, when it's not even a factor in the movie, just alluded to as a hard time in Nicholson's past.

No, perhaps film noir style just isn't for me.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 22, 2010

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Hmmm... The only Polanski film I've seen is Rosemary's Baby, so I didn't know what to look for for his style. Perhaps once I've seen more of his stuff, I'll come back to this and appreciate it more.

Edit: Actually, I just checked and it seems that Chinatown is ALSO a Polanski film, and one I was not very impressed with, having had to watch it for this very thread. I guess I just don't "get" the genius of him. His movies are good, but I don't see how they're phenomenal. Here's my original review of Chinatown:

Chinatown is a metaphor, when Jake worked in Chinatown as a cop he tried to do as little as possible because too often interfering just made things worse for the people he tried to help. Think about that in context with everything Jake does in the last third of the movie. (I didn't get this until I saw the movie a second time. On first viewing I had a pretty similar view to you.)

Fun fact, originally no part of the movie took place in Chinatown, but Roman Polanski insisted that a movie called Chinatown needed to have at least one scene take place in Chinatown.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Chinatown is a metaphor, when Jake worked in Chinatown as a cop he tried to do as little as possible because too often interfering just made things worse for the people he tried to help. Think about that in context with everything Jake does in the last third of the movie. (I didn't get this until I saw the movie a second time. On first viewing I had a pretty similar view to you.)

Fun fact, originally no part of the movie took place in Chinatown, but Roman Polanski insisted that a movie called Chinatown needed to have at least one scene take place in Chinatown.

Hmmm. I can get that. I don't know if I'll watch it again, but I remember the movie and that seems like a good explanation.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
penismightier, you are one hard dude to recommend for. I'd recommend you Totoro, but I don't think you'll be too into it if you're already not interested. The only Renoir I've seen is The Grand Illusion, but I loved it, so I'm giving you Partie de campagne based solely on the name on the tin.

I just finished Alien a few minutes ago and I absolutely adored it. I didn't think it was scary, but it was one of the most suspenseful movies I've ever seen. There's so much I loved about it. The establishing shots that said everything without having any characters in the frame; the billing that in no way indicates who'll die when; the sporadic but emotional score; I was even all :3: when the cat lived. I'm actually saddened that it got so heavily franchised. What probably impressed me most about the film is that the setting and world were geared entirely in the service of this story and making this one particular movie as suspenseful and interesting as possible.

In any case, Ridley Scott impresses me more with each film I've seen of his. Alien, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator, and Blade Runner are all very different movies from very different genres. While I don't love all of those movies, I have huge amounts of respect for Ridley Scott for his ability to understand the strengths of the genres of each movie and to maximize them while still leaving his own mark.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien

Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.
American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.
Boogie Nights: I hate to say it, but Paul Thomas Anderson has only made one movie I've liked: Hard Eight. But this and Punch-Drunk Love are the only features of his I have yet to see, so I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Evil Dead: Probably an odd choice to put here, but I'm a massive fan of cult movies and Bruce Campbell. I also like Sam Raimi. It feels weird saying I'm a fan of any of the above without having seen any films from this series.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 23, 2010

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

CloseFriend posted:

In any case, Ridley Scott impresses me more with each film I've seen of his. Alien, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood, Kingdom of Haven, Gladiator, and Blade Runner are all very different movies from very different genres. While I don't love all of those movies, I have huge amounts of respect for Ridley Scott for his ability to understand the strengths of the genres of each movie and to maximize them while still leaving his own mark.

It's funny, just last night I was ranting about how hit or miss he is for me. I loathed Hannibal, A Good Year and the cut I saw of Kingdom of Heaven but have an irrational love for Gladiator and he gets bonus points for producing "The Good Wife" for CBS. I think I would adore him if he could somehow get his brother to stop making movies.

Sorry for the derail. I also popped in to say I have been distracted by real life and have been negligent in getting around to There Will Be Blood. It is on the agenda, but I was on a pretty good clip there and am bummed to have been distracted from my movie-watching duties. The fact that the Fall TV season is in full swing hasn't helped matters, either.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

Barton Fink: Here's the thing about the Coen brothers. From what I've seen, I like about half of their movies (The Big Lebowski; O Brother, Where Art Thou?; Raising Arizona), and I'm less than crazy about the other half (Miller's Crossing; Burn After Reading; No Country For Old Men), and I'm basically neutral on Fargo. So I really don't know if I'll like this movie or not.

I don't know if you'll like it either, but I loved it so hopefully you will too.

Seven Samurai was 3 1/2 hours of great entertainment. Amazing action, characters and best of all, pacing. I've seen plenty of 90 minute movies that felt longer than this. Although I do have to say that Toshirō Mifune's insane laughter started to annoy me after a while.

1. Seven Samurai
Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca
Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Apocalypse Now is my favorite movie, and I've heard that this is somewhat similar to it. I'm only familiar with a couple of Herzog's recent documentaries, but they were very captivating.

4. On the Waterfront - The only movies I can remember watching with Marlon Brando in them are The Godfather and Apocalypse Now. I'd like to see his acclaimed earlier work at some point.

7. Barton Fink
Wild Strawberries - Another Bergman, I liked The Seventh Seal, I guess I'll like this too?

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief - It has the the highest PSI on my Criticker page, besides that I don't know anything about it.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing - Never seen a Spike Lee film, either.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

CloseFriend posted:

I just finished Alien a few minutes ago and I absolutely adored it. I didn't think it was scary, but it was one of the most suspenseful movies I've ever seen. There's so much I loved about it. The establishing shots that said everything without having any characters in the frame; the billing that in no way indicates who'll die when; the sporadic but emotional score; I was even all :3: when the cat lived. I'm actually saddened that it got so heavily franchised. What probably impressed me most about the film is that the setting and world were geared entirely in the service of this story and making this one particular movie as suspenseful and interesting as possible.

In any case, Ridley Scott impresses me more with each film I've seen of his. Alien, Thelma & Louise, Robin Hood, Kingdom of Heaven, Gladiator, and Blade Runner are all very different movies from very different genres. While I don't love all of those movies, I have huge amounts of respect for Ridley Scott for his ability to understand the strengths of the genres of each movie and to maximize them while still leaving his own mark.

Now go watch Aliens

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

penismightier posted:

Now go watch Aliens
That's what I'll be doing as soon as possible!

Atheistdeals.com, I'm recommending you The Bicycle Thief. I haven't seen any of your movies, but you recommended me a good one, so if I can't return the favor I can at least recommend a movie I'm planning to watch myself.

So I just watched Barton Fink and I loved it! The story moved along perfectly, plus I loved the surrealism and the boiling sense of dread right below the surface. Lesser writers would have used the obvious hell analogy as just a gimmick, but instead the Coens let it suffuse the subtext of everything everyone says or does. I also found Barton himself very easy to identify with, as he starts with a desire to serve the public and ends up completely disconnected from them and an incredibly different person than how he started. The cinematography was awesome; seemingly every shot had a very good reason for being there.

Of all the Coen films I've seen, this is the one where it's most obvious they had some artistic influences. The film is stylistically reminiscent of Eraserhead, especially the long shots of hallways and a drainpipe, the awkwardness of the social encounters, and even Barton's hairstyle. It also reminded me of "Revelation" by Flannery O'Connor, of all things.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink

Amarcord: I've never seen a Fellini movie, and I've heard the best things about this one.
Annie Hall: I've only seen two Woody Allen films: Melinda and Melinda and The Purple Rose of Cairo. I didn't like the former; the latter was good but I wasn't blown away. I feel like I should give Allen more of a chance.
American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Boogie Nights: I hate to say it, but Paul Thomas Anderson has only made one movie I've liked: Hard Eight. But this and Punch-Drunk Love are the only features of his I have yet to see, so I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Evil Dead: Probably an odd choice to put here, but I'm a massive fan of cult movies and Bruce Campbell. I also like Sam Raimi. It feels weird saying I'm a fan of any of the above without having seen any films from this series.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
The Natural: I always hear the greatest things about Redford, but I haven't seen much stuff with him in it. Levinson's hit-or-miss with me.
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
CloseFriend, I'm not a huge fan of any of your movies, but Boogie Nights is pretty awesome even if you don't like PTA (and I don't), so watch that one.

Last Year At Marienbad is obviously completely different, but it was also totally awesome. If you can get over how CREEPY the main (male) character is. But it's one of the films that makes you wonder why anyone/everyone felt the need to rush into color films; this is INCREDIBLE in black and white.

1. 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her- Godard is usually love or "meh" for me; this was on sale for amazingly cheap so I bought it but haven't watched it yet.

2. Family Plot- Minor Hitchcock left over from the large velvet box set.

3.The Secret In Their Eyes- Won best foreign film Oscar, is crime related, and apparently it's in the top 250 at IMDB now.

4. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon- I love John Wayne/John Ford movies, just haven't gotten around to this one.

5. The Three Faces of Eve- Easily the movie I've owned the longest but haven't watched.

NEW 6. L'Âge d'or- I've liked almost everything I've seen by Bunuel, but I haven't seen this. Probably because it's so short I've never bothered. Doesn't make much sense to me. Next highest on TSPDT list.

7. Pepe le Moko- I've always wondered why Jean Gabin was such a star.

8. The Last Picture Show - Just watched and loved Lonesome Dove for the first time, so let's keep the McMurty going. The cast also looks amazing.

9. Slumdog Millionaire- Don't know anything about it, don't have THAT much interest in it, but it seems to be something a lot of people have seen and are interested in talking about, so here it is.

10. Spirited Away- I usually completely ignore animated features unless I'm really compelled for some reason. This one appears on too many "best of" lists for me to keep ignoring, I suppose.

This thread has helped me get rid of: Life is Beautiful, Bonnie and Clyde, Bullitt, To Be Or Not To Be, The Earrings of Madame de..., Bringing Up Baby, Barry Lyndon, V for Vendetta, Last Year at Marienbad

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Brian Fellows, let's go with L'Âge d'or.

Ok, as someone who found The Deer Hunter rather tedious, watching Heaven's Gate was not an enticing proposition, considering its reputation. Which is why I was surprised to find myself really liking the film which, despite some really obvious flaws, is beautifully shot and really well acted. Maybe because I saw Novecento last week, but I feel the two are comparable in a lot of ways. Both films are over indulgent in style and length and tedious at times, but also marvelously filmed and thematically rich. Unlike Novecento, though, I found myself really gripped by the depiction of the west shown here, with a bunch of morally gray characters battling out centuries old class struggles. There's definitely some editing that could be done, with scenes that linger on and on, but the most superfluous ones are also some of the better shot ones, so for the most part it was forgivable. I can certainly see why this was a huge failure, but on the whole I thought it was really good even bordering on great.

Updated list:

Sanxia haoren Apparently this is one of the best films of the last 10 years.

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds (1953) Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

Fantomas I liked Les Vampires, so let's give another silent serial a shot.

The Crucified Lovers Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Mizoguchi in a while.

Fallen Angels Haven't seen a Wong Kar-wai film in a while.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Days and Nights in the Forest Why did I stop watching Ray films? Maybe this'll start me back up again.

Picked this completely randomly. It looks like you've seen almost every movie ever made!

The Bicycle Thief turned out to be a simple, heartbreaking tale about the desperation brought on by poverty. It's also incredibly effective in its use of non-actors. This seems like a movie that people will be able to relate to for a very long time.

1. Seven Samurai
Amadeus - Sounds great but the story and setting doesn't really pique my interest.

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief
The Battle of Algiers - I've been meaning to watch this for a while now but every time I sit down to watch a movie I pick something else instead. This looks really interesting.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing - Never seen a Spike Lee film, either.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Partie de campagne was very good. Delicate and very poetic. Reminded me a lot of L'Atalante, actually. I wish it was longer, I could've lived in some of those river shots.

Atheistdeals.com, Do the Right Thing awaits. If I were you, I'd opt for the Criterion DVD instead of the blu-ray. There's a strong orange tint to the DVD (intentionally) which really sells it as the hottest day of the year. The blu-ray lacks that, and the heat is less palpable.

New List:

Soldier of Orange The length sort of keeps me away from it, but I've always been interested.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

My Neighbor Totoro I just could not possibly have less interest in this, but I feel like I owe it a watch.

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse I know little about it other than that it's supposed to be very good.

Little Fugitive I've seen bits of it, but never got around to the whole thing. It's charming and kinda sorta invented American independent cinema, so I guess I should get up on it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 24, 2010

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
penismightier, watch My Neighbor Totoro as soon as humanly possible.

aaaaaanyway, this looks like fun. Have a Netflix account and access to an awesome library system, so getting hold of films is no issue.

1. A Clockwork Orange. Uh, weirdly, I actually bought this for five bucks at a used Movie/Music/Video Games store, six months ago. But I've been kind of leery of watching it because I really don't like watching rape on film. It just makes me feel unclean.
2. 8 1/2. really no excuse for this. I've seen four Fellini films (La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, La Dolce Vita, and Amarcord), and loved all of them. I just have a weird thing about foreign films where, unless they have action or comedy, it seems like homework to watch them. I feel tremendously guilty about this impulse.
3. Singin' in the Rain. I've seen clips from it, enough that I feel like I've seen the whole thing, but...I'm pretty sure I haven't. Which is weird, because Gene Kelly is one of my favorite actors ever.
4. Apocalypse Now. I watched part of it on cable on vacation in a hotel room when I was young, and then my parents made me change the channel. Ever since, I've felt like I'm doing something wrong every time I make an attempt to watch it, so I don't. :smith:
5. The Seventh Seal. I keep feeling like the films of Ingmar Bergman are something I need to delay until I'm emotionally mature. Does one need to be in a certain intellectual or emotional state to appreciate Ingmar Bergman movies?
6. Jaws. uh, I have no idea why I've never seen it, guess I've just never said to myself "you know what movie I absolutely have to watch right now? Jaws, man."
7. Pulp Fiction. I starting watching this once, and liked it up until the Bruce Willis section, where I got so bored, I stopped it, and returned it to the library the very next day. Recently I bought a copy, hoping that I would change my mind, as it's universally regarded as a classic. But I haven't worked up the motivation yet to actually watch it.
8. Unforgiven. Uh, I kind of hate Mystic River, which started me off on a bad foot with the directing work of Clint Eastwood. But I recently watched Gran Torino, and loved it. And then also High Plains Drifter. So, it might just be up my alley after all.
9. The 39 Steps. Being a huge Hitchcock fan, I'm guilty about not having seen this already.
10. Eraserhead. well, I've always heard it was kind of squicky.

okay, people, I'm at your mercy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That's like the perfect list. I want to make you watch every last one of those.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Spatula City, I agree with penismightier, you can't go wrong with that list, but I'll pick The Seventh Seal. You do need to be willing to engage in Bergman films, but on the whole they're pretty accessible.

Days and Nights in the Forest was a bit more inconsistent than my favourite Ray films, but my apprehensions faded away and I got to really liking it in the second half. The commentary on the Indian caste system is really awkwardly done, a constant presence but never really developing into anything, and the group of leads took a while for me to get comfortable with those drunk bar scenes annoyed me, even if they do serve a purpose. Those things aren't too big a distraction, though, from some really beautiful filmmaking and an upper middle class character study. These character's wouldn't be out of place in an Antonioni or Fellini film and by that standard it's a marvelous little depiction of social inner conflict.

Updated list:

Babette's Feast Not sure what this is about, but I've heard it referenced enough to feel the need to check it out.

Tales of Hoffman After my second viewing of The Red Shoes I was really excited to watch this but I quit after 5 minutes when I realized I just wasn't ready for cinematic opera, no matter how well shot. I think maybe now, a couple of years later, I might be willing to give this another shot.

The War of The Worlds (1953) Bought this a few years ago, never got around to it.

Sans toit ni loi I bought the Criterion Varda boxset the week it came out, all excited after loving Cleo from 5 to 7 and then proceeded to not watch any of it.

Vidas Secas Another highly regarded film I keep putting off because I fear it's really depressing.

The Crucified Lovers Along the "directors I like and need to see more from" lines, I haven't sen some Mizoguchi in a while.

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

My Neighbor Totoro was cute. It had a very good grasp on human relations, and the behavior of children. The pacing of the magical scenes was very good, too. Methodical. Kid's movies aren't really my scene, but this was a good one. When those little girls starting screaming with joy I wanted to deck them, though. And the music was 80s goofy, but I can't really hold that against it I guess.

PA, The War of the Worlds awaits.

New List:

Don't Look Now I know the ending and I've seen the sex scene because I'm a pervert, but that's it.

Dead Ringers Somehow one of the only major Cronenbergs I've missed; supposed to be his best

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10)

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

penismightier watch Shadows. Hell if I've ever heard of anything on your list.

I watched Do the Right Thing and it was amazing. I kinda thought that this movie was going to be a super-serious film about an Important Thing, but it's actually extremely entertaining and funny for the most part. Every character was distinct, sympathetic and interesting. The movie seamlessly flows through the neighborhood showing everyone just trying to get by on one hot day. I love how bright and colorful everything is, reminding me how much I dislike the dull blue/green gritty tones that a lot of today's movies use. f-f-f-f-f-f-F-F-F-F-gently caress!

1. Seven Samurai

2. The Seventh Seal
Casablanca

7. Barton Fink

8. Cool Hand Luke
Citizen Kane
City Lights
The Bicycle Thief
The Battle of Algiers - I've been meaning to watch this for a while now but every time I sit down to watch a movie I pick something else instead. This looks really interesting.

9. Moon
Rear Window
North by Northwest
GoodFellas

10. The Thin Blue Line
Do the Right Thing
The 400 Blows - As far as old French movies go, I've only seen Breathless which didn't grab me at all. In fact I almost want to say that I flat-out disliked it. Maybe I will like this one more?

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Atheistdeals- I'm giving you The Battle of Algiers. The movie is fantastic.

I watched "Silence of the Lambs" and drat, what an intense movie. Every time Lector was on screen I would get a really uneasy feeling. What a performance.

My updated list:

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

4. Any Chaplin movies:
I'm game for any, but just never saw any

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Do the Right Thing:
I've seen some Spike Lee, and have enjoyed most of what I've seen. Never saw this one though.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I was close to giving you The Elephant Man zandert33 but I gave someone else it a page or so back - so go watch my favourite Chaplin film - Modern Times.

Stagecoach was fun & a little bit more than just cowboys shootin' injuns for an hour and a half as I expected. John Wayne was more a romantic lead than anything but came across very likable, I got a kick out of seeing John Carradine in the fancy suit - compared to the way he looked in Ford's Grapes of Wrath it was night and day.

1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
I've recently become really interested in early-cinema and although I don't have the patience to deal with Birth of a Nation I realise that D.W. Griffith was pretty important to the development of cinema and would like to see at least one of his films, Intolerance seems to have a message which is the polar opposite of Birth of a Nation so it seems to be a natural choice.

2. Destiny (1921, Fritz Lang)
I like the synopsis of the story and want to see as much Lang as I can.

4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)
Until very recently I had this and Casablanca lumped into the same "old romantic film I don't really need to see" box in my head - after watching the greatness that is Casablanca I fear that this may not actually be worth my time. It's like the Danny DeVito to the Arnold Schwarzenegger in Twins... or is it?

10. Ben-Hur (1959, William Wyler)
I just feel that Ben-Hur is one of those big-budget classic movies that anyone and everyone should have seen.

12. Un Chien Andalou (An Andalusian Dog) (1929, Luis Buñuel)
I became aware of it a few years ago when I was looking back at milestone moments in horror & the eye-cutting scene is still with me, iconic. I'd like to experience the whole film though.

14. Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei M. Eisenstein)
I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it if what I read is correct but I'm more than willing to give it a chance considering how highly regarded it is.

15. Shadow of a Doubt (1943, Alfred Hitchcock)
I mean to watch every Hitchcock film.

16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927, F.W. Murnau)
I've only ever seen Nosferatu from Murnau but I'm well aware that he is considered as one of cinemas greatest directors & it seems like this is the obvious choice to see some more of his work.

18. The Public Enemy (1931, William A. Wellman)
I've never sat through an old Warner Brothers gangster movie & I think it's fair to say I've been missing out.

19. Sullivan's Travels (1941, Preston Sturges)
It sounds like a great wee film & a little similar to the spirit of The Grapes of Wrath which I completely loved.

Seen:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Gojira (Godzilla) - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10. 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (The Passion of Joan of Arc) - 8/10 17. Stagecoach - 7/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BisonDollah, Sullivan's Travels has very little in common with The Grapes of Wrath but it is a great film.

Frankly, The War of the Worlds was a bust. It's not bad, but it suffers from a slew of problems, from the wooden acting to the depth-less sets to the special effects that have aged badly, not to mention some pretty bad writing. It also occupies this odd tonal space where it's too cheesy to take seriously, but not quite enough to laugh at. Pretty disappointing overall.

Updated list:

Ryan's Daughter I love Lean, but this film's reputation , combined with its length aren't particularly enticing. On the other hand I liked Heaven's gate so who knows.

<---> I may not like Wavelength but I'm willing to give this a shot based on the title alone.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Wong Kar Wai's Fallen Angels.

The Shining wasn't so much a horror film as a profile in madness. It was probably Nicholson's best performance and full of creepy kids. Kubrick, as always, was phenomenal. Just a great, creepy film.

1) The Big Sleep- can't go wrong with Bogart, Bacall, and Howard Hawks
2) The Seventh Seal- gotta start somewhere with Bergman
3) Le Samourai- I'm a novice on French film and this interests me
4) Le Cercle Rouge- same as above
5) The Getaway- i'm finishing up my Steve McQueen list
6) The Insider- the last Michael Mann film I've yet to see
7) 2046- loved In the Mood For Love, never got to this, it's sister film
8) Jackie Brown- this slipped through the cracks on me, no excuse
9) Mulholland Drive- more David Lynch to explore
10) My Darling Clementine- working my way up to The Searchers

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jackie Brown is just a blast. Enjoy it.

Just finished Picnic at Hanging Rock and... I'm not even sure what I can make if it. It was definitely really good, and instantly goes on the shortlist of movies like Stalker, Mullholland Drive, Persona and Wild Strawberries that manage to perfectly capture the feeling of watching someone else's dream. The first half hour or so, up until the disappearance... do I even need to spoil that? is particularly gripping. It slows down a bit after that, and I feel like I missed something, but I also feel like I'm supposed to feel like I missed something. I'll definitely have to watch this again at some point. Probably an 8 or a 9 out of 10.

Also, it took me about an hour before I recognized Rachel Roberts, an actress who gave two of my favorite performances ever in Lindsay Anderson's This Sporting Life and O Lucky Man!. Upon looking her up on Wikipedia, she didn't star in much else and committed a particularly gruesome suicide in 1980. Sad stuff.

My updated list:

The Thin Man: I read the book by Hammett about a year ago and loved it. I meant to see the movie immediately after, but never got around to it. My library has it, so I have no excuse.

The Rules of the Game: I, uh, hear good things.

Thirst: Love Park Chan-Wook, and the thought of him doing a horror movie sounds awesome, but somehow I missed this one completely.

36th Chamber of Shaolin: Another one my roommate has a copy of that I've been meaning to see for like forever, but could never find anywhere.

The Passion of Joan of Arc: I need to see more classic silents, and the clips I've seen of this looked really loving cool.

Stray Dog: One of the few major Kurosawas I haven't seen. I intend to work my way through all his movies eventually.

Strangers on a Train: I need to see more Hitchcocks, too. Part of me wants to read the book before I see this, but whatever.

The Devil Rides Out: I love Hammer Horror films, and this one looks cool.

Scenes from a Marriage: Saw the full five-hour version at the library the other day. I better be ready to get really depressed, I guess.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Shadows was a bit emotionally dull, but the dialogue and the great 16mm camerawork were pretty captivating. The subject matter was pretty daring for the time. And that score! So good! I liked Cassavete's little cameo, and actually ended up wishing he was a bigger role. I was sort of surprised at how off some of the acting was, considering Cassavete's track record.

Ltwhatever, watch Strangers on a Train. Spoiler alert: a couple of guys meet on a train!

New List:

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

Don't Look Now I know the ending and I've seen the sex scene because I'm a pervert, but that's it.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10)

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Taxi Driver was chosen for me last time. I did watch it. I give it 6/10 overall. I do like Scorsese and DeNiro and Foster were a trip in this movie. I just wasn't my favorite Scorsese movie and I felt it just didn't live up to the hype.

Odd Man Out is the selection for penisismightier!

My new list.

0. 39 Steps (edited to this as I forgot it's still in my que)
1. Ben-Hur
2. Citizen Kane
3. Vertigo
4. The Rules of the Game
5. 8 1/2
6. The Searchers
7. The Seven Samurai
8. Battleship Potemkin
9. Tokyo Story
10. Sunrise (Murnau)
11. Lawrence of Arabia
12. Bicycle Thieves
13. Imaginarium of Dr. Pernasus
14. Paranormal Activity
15. L'Atalante
16. Destiny (one of the few Lang films I need to see -saw most during a lengthy hospital stay this summer)

mombot fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 26, 2010

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
picklejars - I'm going to beat Peaceful Anarchy to the punch this time and recommend you Lawrence of Arabia.

I really enjoyed The Best Years of our Lives, especially the acting performances. March & Loy are amazing and Teresa Wright is a delight. A great piece of history that breathes authenticity especially with the casting of an actual wounded veteran as Homer. The ending was a little too pat, but perhaps this was because of the Hays Code, or America was in no mood for seeing depressing cinema at that time.

New list:

My list:

1. The Holy Mountain - Already have this downloaded and it looks visually amazing.
2. Cinema paradiso - don't know anything about it other than it's rated quite high on IMDB
3. All About Eve - It's on every best-of list.
4. Rebecca - one of the major Hitch films I haven't seen
5. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - I have no idea what this is about, but it sounds intriguingly abstract.
6. It Happened One Night - i would like to see some early Capra.
7. High & Low - need more Kurosawa
8. Germany, Year Zero - I clicked on a random page on TSPTD and saw this and realized I've never seen a Rossellini film.
9. Viridiana - I have not really enjoyed any Bunuel film i've seen but i'll keep trying him, as a fan of surrealism in general.
10. Le Samourai - has supposedly influenced a lot of movies i enjoy.

Watched: City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, Stalker, Blazing Saddles, Days of Heaven, The Best Years of our Lives

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arturo Ui, I almost missed High & Low, watch that it's really good Kurosawa.

Fallen Angels sure is a Wong Kar Wai film. Even though I ultimately leave with not a whole lot from his films they are such a marvelous and enjoyable experience that I love watching them. They're full of fleeting moments and emotions and Fallen Angles may be one of his best ( or maybe I just don't remember the others well enough). It's basically two minimally intertwined stories and while I couldn't tell what they had in common besides beyond emotionally isolated protagonists I liked them both and had no trouble with the switching back and forth. The music and camerawork is, as expected, really great and made for some really amazing scenes.

Updated list:

<---> I may not like Wavelength but I'm willing to give this a shot based on the title alone.

The Ballad of Cable Hogue Next up from directors I like but haven't seen in a while, Peckinpah.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful: I give you Crucified Lovers, because EVERYBODY needs to get some more Mizoguchi in their lives.

Watched "Modern Times", and it felt like two movies, one I really liked, and one I thought was OK. The factory stuff was fantastic, the love stuff was alright. Worth viewing though, and happy to finally see some Chaplin.

My updated list:

1. Any Fellini movie:
I started watching 8 1/2 once, but then got distracted and didn't get back to it. I haven't seen anything else he's made.

2. Anything Bergman NOT "Scenes from a Marriage", "Fanny and Alexander", "Seventh Seal" "Sawdust and Tinsel" or "Wild Strawberries

3. Schindler's List:
Another movie I've meant to see, but just never have.

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. Do the Right Thing:
I've seen some Spike Lee, and have enjoyed most of what I've seen. Never saw this one though.

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
zandert33 - you get Do the Right Thing

Through a Glass Darkly was a very Bergman sort of film, which I mean as a good thing. A very simple story that's very melancholy and also very stylized. Also its take on mental illness seems very ahead of its time.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly
Even Dwarfs Started Small - another Herzog which I've been wanting to see for quite a while. Supposed to be one of his best.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein - I've seen Frankenstein and this one's supposed to be a lot better.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Odd Man Out was really good, but I was unfairly expecting something as good as The Third Man. Luckily I loving LOVE James Mason and found my pants charmed off. The soft-spoken inspector was endlessly captivating.It reminded me a lot of The Informer, only a tiny bit better.

This is my 30th movie from this thread. I love this thread.

Dotcommunism, my spoooooky Halloween treat for you is The Bride of Frankenstein. I actually prefer the first one, but these two and Son of Frankenstein are all stone-cold classics.

New List:

Veronika Voss Been too long away from Fassbinder.

The Docks of New York More like the cocks of New York, right guys?

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
penismightier - you get Don't Look Now to stay with the Halloween theme.

Bride of Frankenstein was very interesting. It humanized the monster and made him a more tragic figure than the first one did, or the book for that matter. The scene with the blind man was really neat, although Young Frankenstein made it a little difficult to take seriously.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one

The Piano Teacher
Apocalypse Now
Vivre sa vie - gonna throw another Godard on here. This one in particular, because the blu-ray for it is sitting in my apartment.

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation
Intolerance - Have to see if Griffith managed to redeem himself at all.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera
Stagecoach - I'm a bit lacking when it comes to westerns, or John Ford for that matter.

Babel
Stroszek
Rosemary's Baby
Destiny - old Lang silent I've been meaning to see for a few years. It's on Netflix Instant, though, so I can finally get around to it.

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player
The Rules of the Game
Faust - Murnau's silent. I've seen a few other Murnaus and this one has appealed to me for a while, but the length has kept me away from it.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita
Through a Glass Darkly
Even Dwarfs Started Small - another Herzog which I've been wanting to see for quite a while. Supposed to be one of his best.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz
L'age d'or
Bride of Frankenstein
The Brood - I love Cronenberg but this one has eluded me so far.