Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Came here to post this

Sweet username by the way. You dropped these magnum condoms for your monster dong

YES let's start a new page with me complimenting someone's dong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
For once I'm not here for taco chat.

Help me out, lawgoons: I seem to remember last year I had an addon for Firefox that did citation for copy/paste from Westlaw. Am I hallucinating this? My boss would very much like it.

In other news, my new employers are total irreverent bastards, when Easter rolls around my boss gives hell to the other partner about his people killing Jesus. Also I was getting drunk on the clock with my boss' approval. Double also he showed me where he keeps the Woodford Reserve.

:love:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

entris posted:

god those tacos look awful. Where is the cheese? Where is the delicious red salsa? Why so many gross rear end onions?

:frogout:

I will sue you if you put cheese on a taco in front of me

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Save me jeebus posted:

In other news, my new employers are total irreverent bastards, when Easter rolls around my boss gives hell to the other partner about his people killing Jesus. Also I was getting drunk on the clock with my boss' approval. Double also he showed me where he keeps the Woodford Reserve.

:love:

OMG your office sounds so wacky! It's like it's literally The Office and you're Pam or Jim!

No, but seriously, that's good to hear.

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

Save me jeebus posted:

For once I'm not here for taco chat.

Help me out, lawgoons: I seem to remember last year I had an addon for Firefox that did citation for copy/paste from Westlaw. Am I hallucinating this? My boss would very much like it.

It's called Citegenie. http://www.citegenie.com/

Also, Lexis apparently has some app that integrates with Word that generates cites really easily. But a) that's probably useless if your not writing academically and just doing normal law office poo poo and b) I hate Lexis so I'll probably never get around to trying it.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

MoFauxHawk posted:

OMG your office sounds so wacky! It's like it's literally The Office and you're Pam or Jim!

No, but seriously, that's good to hear.

I've spent every job I've ever had having to hide being a bitchy boozer, so I'm pretty happy. Also it can be a little blue-nosed in this part of the country, so I'm really relieved. Then again, my first time working in a law office so for all I know it's normal.

aarontxwl posted:

Also, Lexis apparently has some app that integrates with Word that generates cites really easily. But a) that's probably useless if your not writing academically and just doing normal law office poo poo and b) I hate Lexis so I'll probably never get around to trying it.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was after. Also Westlaw 4 lyfe. :respek:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of these are useless because they won't use local cite formats. They need a way to customize it.
CA should be
You mom v. Other whores (1990) 123 U.S. 567, 890.

Funny, it says it does custom and then doesn't list CA.

entris posted:

god those tacos look awful. Where is the cheese? Where is the delicious red salsa? Why so many gross rear end onions?
Can we ban this guy from law school/taco chat?

nm fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 23, 2010

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

aarontxwl posted:

This is awesome. We're just starting our open legal research memos here (our first "closed" memo had the relevant research given to us by the professor, complete with pre-done citations).

I shared this link with other 1Ls on facebook, and you've saved us each probably dozens of hours on this project and future memos.

Thanks!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Lilosh posted:

This is awesome. We're just starting our open legal research memos here (our first "closed" memo had the relevant research given to us by the professor, complete with pre-done citations).

Use the practice books. They're somewhere. There's usually a book practitioners use for civil procedure/causes of action and then usually a giant loving series for general areas of law. Use either of these to glean cases for relevant Westlaw key numbers and categories.

There you go, that should shave a good amount of time off your memo.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
If that plugin saves you dozens of hours then you are a citation retard

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All of these are useless because they won't use local cite formats. They need a way to customize it.
CA should be
You mom v. Other whores (1990) 123 U.S. 567, 890.

Funny, it says it does custom and then doesn't list CA.

Can we ban this guy from law school/taco chat?

That's because even the California Rules of Court say that bluebook is cool to use. If you use the California citation format, it is clear that you're either 70 years old or some loving worker's comp scrub that should just hang themselves.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Last night I retained the services of an "amusement and recreation attendant."

She did not have a college degree.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mookie posted:

That's because even the California Rules of Court say that bluebook is cool to use. If you use the California citation format, it is clear that you're either 70 years old or some loving worker's comp scrub that should just hang themselves.

human being v. Louisiana Public Citation Format, 2010-6969, p. 5 (La. App. 4 Cir. 10/23/10), 342 So.3d 421, 426.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

She did not have a college degree.

I can't tell if that's a clown or prostitute.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Why does that have to be an "or" proposition?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Came here to post this

Sweet username by the way. You dropped these magnum condoms for your monster dong

YES let's start a new page with me complimenting someone's dong

I've got my Magnum condoms and my wad of hundreds; I'm ready to plow!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Today's realizations:

1) Co-counsel has been using me to help write the response to an MSJ.
2) Co-Counsel was retained specifically to write the responses to the MSJs
3) Co-counsel gets a third of the recovery
4) I do not, and they will likely not give me some of their cut.
5) gently caress.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 23, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

Why does that have to be an "or" proposition?

Your birthday parties must have been awesome

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I can't tell if the guy has nipples build into his shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

CaptainScraps posted:

Today's realizations:

1) Co-counsel has been using me to help write the response to an MSJ.
2) Co-Counsel was retained specifically to write the responses to the MSJs
3) Co-counsel gets a third of the recovery
4) I do not, and they will likely not give me some of their cut.
5) gently caress.

It's endemic to the industry though. I did some work recently and calculated that my hourly wage was 2% of the rate the lawyer was billing the client. It was so absurd that I just laughed it off but goddamn there's some serious flaws in the system as far as using students/young associates is concerned.

edit: a friend who did criminal defense in 1L was paid a weekly salary and counted that he was making $4/hour.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Mookie posted:

I'm not 70 years old, but my judges are.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It's endemic to the industry though. I did some work recently and calculated that my hourly wage was 2% of the rate the lawyer was billing the client. It was so absurd that I just laughed it off but goddamn there's some serious flaws in the system as far as using students/young associates is concerned.

Crooked game, only game in town, etc, etc, etc.

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Ainsley McTree posted:

plausible deniability

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
it has been posted but why is not this in the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
redacted.

billion dollar bitch fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 24, 2010

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Petey posted:

it has been posted but why is not this in the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

There was a better video in that style. Also, the video you linked to is wrong; there are thousands of lawyers and pro se defendants who argue the constitution every day.

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Shang Yang posted:

There was a better video in that style. Also, the video you linked to is wrong; there are thousands of lawyers and pro se defendants who argue the constitution every day.
A bunch of my summer work was drafting constitutional arguments. But then I quit law school because I'm smart handsome and fun to be around~~

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

I'm doing a constitutional argument right now for work, equal protection baby *wootles heartily*

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Shang Yang posted:

Shang Yang posted:

And where in the Constitution does it say that the Supreme Court defines the meaning of the Constitution?

Shang Yang posted:

Wait... freaking huge? Arcoscephalae is my eternal best friend northern neighbour (I'm Pangaea) and I would hate to think he's getting too big. I'm more concerned about the massive armies I'm seeing on my border in the ocean.

hrmery

methinks the man doth sperg

Shang Yang
Oct 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Petey posted:

hrmery

methinks the man doth sperg

sorry I hurt your feelings. Do you not practice law? that was a rather basic error in the video, but probably hard to spot for someone with no experience

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm sorry that I offended all you taco "aficianados" but the simple truth is that I grew up on Taco Bell as my standard "taco" configuration, and now I'm addicted to cheese so a taco without cheese is just plain strange to me. Thank god for Americanized ethnic foods! For the record, I also enjoy Orange Chicken at Chinese places, and I happily eat deep dish style pizza.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
There's a time and a place for Taco Bell. The time is right after last call and the place is as close to the bar as possible. That's when the cheesy, hard-shelled, ground beef abominations (:taco:) you call tacos are acceptable as a foodstuff.

But carne asada tacos (or lengua :swoon:) are manna from heaven.

Horrible family history: my grandma, a Depression-era hardass from South Illinois made "tacos" out of ground beef mixed with chopped boiled potatoes, then stuffed into flour tortillas and fried. She ate them with ketchup or (even worse) mild La Victoria taco sauce. They are in every way an affront to Proper Taco making but it's still a comfort food for me so I guess there goes my taco cred, but w/e.

e: omg grammar

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Sorry to use you as an example Ainsley but someone in LF pointed this out and maybe it should be in the OP:

Ainsley 2007 posted:

I've got kind of a strange (possibly) question. I ctrl-f'd through the thread and didn't see any answers, but does a school with no grades hamper your opportunities after graduation at all? I'm a 1L at Northeastern, we have no grades here, just "evaluations". They're basically grades without the numbers; there are buzzwords that correspond to a letter grade, an excellent is an A, a very good is a B+, etc, but the point is, I think, that you can't be ranked into percentiles. I don't know how many other schools do this; apparently Yale does too, I did not know this until I read the thread, but then again, Northeastern isn't Yale.

But what kind of concerns me is that from what I hear, employers give a lot of weight to whether or not you're in the top ten percent, and whether or not you're on a law review. Northeastern has no grades and has no law review. I asked about it to some of the faculty and other advisor-type people, but I get very Northeasterny answers.

I'm not exactly sure who I'm asking this question to...lawyers I guess, maybe Northeastern grads, I dunno. Maybe the top 10%/law review thing doesn't even matter unless you wanna work at BIG FIRM, INC. I guess I'm just curious. It's a neat system that they've got here, but since it's one of the only schools using it, I wonder if it isn't a little detrimental to the students in the end.

We do have the co-op system though, I do like that. That's why I came actually. I may not have grades, but I'll have 4 semesters of work experience under my belt. That must count for something.

Ainsley 2010 posted:

Did you notice the last page or so of posts in which we were all jizzing about a public defender position available in Barrow, Alaska? I couldn't speak for anyone else but I for one was not entirely exaggerating, I am not completely uninterested in the prospect and I went into law school saying to myself "the one thing I don't want to be is a public defender, I don't have the fortitude for it" but after 3 months of unemployment (well 5 technically but I started the count after I finished the bar, not graduation because at least when I was studying for the bar I had something to do) it's honestly starting to sound pretty good. Barrow, Alaska is located here:

Getting a job in law is hard and unlikely. Getting a stable job is considerably harder and unlikelier. Getting a job in the Federal Government is a pipe dream. According to usajobs.gov there are 158 jobs available in the country under the category "legal and claims examining". There are more than 158 law schools in the country, much less yearly law grads. I don't know if you meant to phrase it this way but I get the feeling like you feel like getting a job with the federal government would be settling for mediocrity somehow. gently caress you. I would literally suck a dick for a cushy federal government job and I'm not even joking about that. Women and gay dudes do it all the time (well not for jobs usually but you get my point), I'm so much better than them that I can't do it once and be set for life? If only I had that opportunity.

You don't know why exactly you want to go to law school, well let me help you answer that question, you want to go to law school because you don't know what else to do with your degree and law school seems like the obvious next thing to do. That's the reason I went too and now that I'm done with it and unemployed and overqualified for any vaguely decent mediocre office job that would pay off my $150k-ish debt I feel like I have to tell you that you're thinking about making a huge mistake, don't go you idiot

I didn't mean to come off so hateful and angry when I started writing this reply but gently caress, every time I read a post about someone wanting to go to law school it just comes out, I'm sorry, I don't literally hate you, but I do hate the part of your brain that tricked you into thinking that law school is remotely a good idea right now.

Save me jeebus posted:

Horrible family history: my grandma, a Depression-era hardass from South Illinois made "tacos" out of ground beef mixed with chopped boiled potatoes, then stuffed into flour tortillas and fried. She ate them with ketchup or (even worse) mild La Victoria taco sauce. They are in every way an affront to Proper Taco making but it's still a comfort food for me so I guess there goes my taco cred, but w/e.

mmhrm

We just went through a lot of my grandparent's stuff and I found pictures of my mom's parents eating these in northern Maine in the 30s:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jul/29/food.internationalaidanddevelopment

quote:

At first sight the business resembles a thriving pottery. In a dusty courtyard women mould clay and water into hundreds of little platters and lay them out to harden under the Caribbean sun.

The craftsmanship is rough and the finished products are uneven. But customers do not object. This is Cité Soleil, Haiti's most notorious slum, and these platters are not to hold food. They are food.

Brittle and gritty - and as revolting as they sound - these are "mud cakes". For years they have been consumed by impoverished pregnant women seeking calcium, a risky and medically unproven supplement, but now the cakes have become a staple for entire families.

It is not for the taste and nutrition - smidgins of salt and margarine do not disguise what is essentially dirt, and the Guardian can testify that the aftertaste lingers - but because they are the cheapest and increasingly only way to fill bellies.

Petey fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 25, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

people in LF are talking about me?

:allears:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
Got my first client. :toot:

Yay temporary bar card.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I believe CNN recently used the Something Awful forums as a primary citation. As a T2 law student, I recommend adding that thread to the publication section on your resume.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Petey posted:

just replace 'college' with 'law school'

http://chronicle.com/blogs/innovations/why-did-17-million-students-go-to-college/27634

will you be part of the proud 5,057?

How many of those people are those with Ph.Ds in the arts who deliberately took a menial day job to give themselves the time to pursue other ventures outside of work?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
One of my roommates through college had his masters degree and worked off and on as a janitor at the local school district. I think he was part time or seasonal, but it basically amounted to him sweeping hallways, mowing lawns, buffing floors, and doing occasional handiwork for 22$/hr and benefits, then taking a month or two off to drink, play xbox, smoke, and read continental philosophy. Basically his life as a janitor was better than most lawyers' so I really wouldn't look down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I knew where the city of Barrow was for bar trivia because of you. Thanks for that.