Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dexter posted:

It's better than this retard poo poo in Point Loma. The best part is they don't light up, they're just poles in the middle of the street. Have fun driving through there for the first time at 2am when the power is out. The only place in the city I can think of that has real roundabouts is Bird Rock and the residents aren't too happy about them.

Somehow I have a hard time feeling bad for dealing with that, you're a stone's throw away from Point Loma Seafood. Best fish and chips ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cichlidae posted:

It looks like an older design, more like a mini-roundabout with a raised island, really. Remember that roundabouts work better than all-way stops for all volume conditions, so there's probably no reason not to have one there. Why wouldn't there be more? Roundabouts cost money, and not everyone wants them, nor is there enough right-of-way at all intersections. That one was built very small, probably to avoid property takes, but it would function a good deal better (and handle more truck traffic) if it had a larger radius.

We have lots of these in Vancouver. Scattered around Residential areas.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cichlidae posted:

That's a permissive left, and they're pretty common in most places. They're not quite as safe as protected lefts, but they offer higher throughput and less delay, especially when volumes are light and cycle lengths are long. I'm surprised they're rare where you are; pretty much any signal with one- or two-lane approaches here has permissive lefts, albeit with a green ball rather than a flashing yellow arrow.

I can honestly say I've never seen that in about a dozen states over the last few years. I wish they were in use in Ohio though, there are two lefts I sit at for way too long with no traffic I'd love to have that at. Hell, almost everywhere could use 'em.

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007
fix Auckland please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCKDBHT3i74

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jermsz posted:

fix Auckland please
Auckland is pretty horrible. Traffic sucks too.

the problem is that Auckland is basically the LA of New Zealand (low density with a high population -- for new zealand)

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007

nm posted:

the problem is that Auckland is basically the LA of New Zealand (low density with a high population -- for new zealand)

it just shits me that we had such a decent tram system which got scrapped for fancy motorways in the 50's, that mindset is still going today. This is an exert from a question in parliment today to the minister of finance, in regards to major infrastructure funding.

http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/PB/Business/QOA/4/9/2/49HansQ_20101021_00000001-1-Infrastructure-Insurance-Against-Future.htm posted:

Dr Russel Norman: How will the $11 billion that his Government is spending on new high-cost motorways do anything to reduce the vulnerability of our economy to oil price shocks?

Hon BILL ENGLISH: The investment in roads is freeing up congestion and lifting our export productivity. If oil prices rise, then I am sure that people will make their choices about whether to travel more or less, or whether to change their mode of transport. It is our guess that even if oil prices rise, most people still will want to travel by private car.

FFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf (how can people make a choice to use public transport when THERE IS NONE)

as a bit of background our current government (the right wing party) is pushing (and going to spend the majority of transport funding ($11 Billion) for projects called Roads of National Significance which seem to be roads of National Party significance. While a few of these roads are going to be usefull, many arent.

The "Holiday Highway" (a stretch of road that only ever gets congested around new year) is to receive $1.5BILLION at a benefit to cost ratio of 0.8. A inner city rail tunnel (which has been on the cards since 1970's, and was to go ahead until an incoming national government scrapped it, to build more motorways) will cost the same, but provide so much more benefits.

God drat I'm sick of NZ Transport planners, specifically in Auckland

Ps. Almost every link was to the same blog, I realise, but that's because it's loving awesome

jermsz fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 21, 2010

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

jermsz posted:

fix Auckland please

Thanks for the documentary; it was very enlightening. It seems like Auckland's problem is its politicians. I don't understand how they could be so short-sighted, and keep getting elected... but I'm sure all that money from the road lobbyists goes a long way.

jermsz posted:

it just shits me that we had such a decent tram system which got scrapped for fancy motorways in the 50's, that mindset is still going today. This is an exert from a question in parliment today to the minister of finance, in regards to major infrastructure funding.

FFFffffffffffffffffffffffffffFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFf (how can people make a choice to use public transport when THERE IS NONE)

as a bit of background our current government (the right wing party) is pushing (and going to spend the majority of transport funding ($11 Billion) for projects called Roads of National Significance which seem to be roads of National Party significance. While a few of these roads are going to be usefull, many arent.

The "Holiday Highway" (a stretch of road that only ever gets congested around new year) is to receive $1.5BILLION at a benefit to cost ratio of 0.8. A inner city rail tunnel (which has been on the cards since 1970's, and was to go ahead until an incoming national government scrapped it, to build more motorways) will cost the same, but provide so much more benefits.

God drat I'm sick of NZ Transport planners, specifically in Auckland

Ps. Almost every link was to the same blog, I realise, but that's because it's loving awesome

At least it makes me feel a bit better that our policy makers aren't the only ones with their heads up their asses. The comparison of Auckland's current policy with the policies here in the 1960s is very apt; I don't think they have another 50 years to change their minds and shift toward transit, though, like we've had here. The era of cheap gas is drawing to a close.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

jermsz posted:

fix Auckland please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCKDBHT3i74

Oh wow. That was fascinating. Thanks for sharing that! Do you know if that series is going to continue?

I kept thinking of L.A. all the while I was watching that. But hell, I thought we Americans were in love with our autos. Looks like we have nothing on Aukland! It was encouraging to hear that U.S. cities are becoming much more mass transit friendly. Personally, I can't wait. I hate driving, and I love trains.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

nm posted:

Aucklands problems has never been "density", its always been money being spent on the wrong things because doing any plans out beyond the next election cycle is too hard.

http://transportblog.co.nz/2010/10/04/a-solution-to-the-density-dilemma/

There are plenty of cities with lower density than auckland with much better public transit systems. Probabaly the main reason why rail is so crippled in auckland was that the public rail system was sold to asset strippers in the 80's/90's and languished since then.

The scary thing about auckland (but I can't source it) is that some people quoted some Ministry of Health stats that show the recent uptake of cycle commuters has led to a decrease in the number of deaths due to air pollution by 5, but was offset by a increase in cyclist fatalities by 5. So not only does auckland have a terrible public transport system, it has terrible drivers as well. Every day I ride my bike, I leave before 6:30am because then you don't have to deal with all the road zombies droning away to work.

Cichlidae posted:

Thanks for the documentary; it was very enlightening. It seems like Auckland's problem is its politicians. I don't understand how they could be so short-sighted, and keep getting elected... but I'm sure all that money from the road lobbyists goes a long way.

This was well illustrated by the southpark episode on the election, poo poo sandwich or turd burger. The man (Len Brown) who won the auckland city mayor position campaigned on not being the other front runner (John Banks). Thats how crap it is. Our Green party is a bunch of idologues who tend to only support extreme positions and can't work out a middle ground (eg. they will reject options that don't match their ideas but that are still better than the status quo).

Cichlidae posted:

At least it makes me feel a bit better that our policy makers aren't the only ones with their heads up their asses. The comparison of Auckland's current policy with the policies here in the 1960s is very apt; I don't think they have another 50 years to change their minds and shift toward transit, though, like we've had here. The era of cheap gas is drawing to a close.

We have never really had cheap gas in NZ, because we have always paid the international market rate for it, and then had huge amounts of tax stuck on it (which doesn't go to transport funding though).

Wibbleman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 21, 2010

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

Well until this year the greater Auckland area was made up of a number of seperate cities with different councils, Auckland City Council, Manukau City Council, North Shore City Council, Waitakerie City Council, Franklin District Council and Rodney District Council. The Auckland Regional Council was then set up to oversee all of these councils but they didnt have much of a say. So Auckland had 7 Mayors.

This all changed when the current government got elected and decided (without public consultation) to combine all these councils into one, and create what has now been dubbed the Super City (or Super lovely). The whole process has been set up from the right wing perspective, and what many assume was to get a right wing mayor in there so they can sell of the assets (Auckland International Airport, Ports of Auckland). Fortunatly for us, noone bought it, and the left wing Labour Party mayor from Manukau City was elected, he campeigned on building new transport infastructure, specifically rail. In fact the entire country (with the exception of Christchurch which just suffered from a massive earthquake, causing the mayor to go from 20% approval to 80%) voted left in their local elections.
Unfortunatly the government has been quick to squash Len Browns rail plans saying they're uneconimic and they cant afford it, they're already spending $1.5billion on Aucklands rail (thanks to the previous government), however they're still happy to spend $11Billion on motorways (apparently they reduce congestion)

TLDR: Yes our politicians are to blame, theyre loving retarded, luckily Auckland just elected a Mayor who campeigned on creating a rail network! (however the government still says gently caress off)

jermsz fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 21, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

My city is actually installing a similar setup they refer to as speed cushions.

picture

They aren't as brutal as the ones you've just posted so they only post about an 8mph decrease in speed, but they do let emergency vehicles get through at full tilt.

There are some of those in my area on residential side streets, I can get by with driving over them - whether or not I let the wheels go through the gaps - at 20mph comfortably, meaning 40 for an emergency vehicle.

*** Just realized I replied to a post made later the same day, the last time i looked at this thread... hmm.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

jermsz posted:

TLDR: Yes our politicians are to blame, theyre loving retarded, luckily Auckland just elected a Mayor who campeigned on creating a rail network! (however the government still says gently caress off)

Story as old as time, innit? Just have to hope that, during their eternal waltz of deception and backstabbery, everyone eventually stumbles in the right direction.

----

Sorry if I haven't been posting much lately, but I've got guests over, and I wrecked my car on the way back from the airport. The whole front end of my car got smashed, and my clothes reek of sodium azide. drat.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

nm posted:

The makers of that documentary have a clear agenda that I think is based on the mistaken impression that mass transit is desirable. It's not. Mass transportation is worse environmentally, takes more time to commute and promotes higher-density construction that serves to exacerbate other urban problems.

I posted a big thread about this in D&D a few months ago.

The only cities where mass transit is successful and a better choice than a car are those that are SO dense and congested, it's faster to walk. I don't believe cities do dense and with so automotive congestion so bad that it's faster to walk is desirable. In fact, quite the opposite. I don't want to derail this into a thread on mass transit (D&D is a much better place for that) so I'll stop there and try to get back on track.

Aside from obvious things like carpooling in electric cars, what can Auckland do to improve the roads?

grover fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 22, 2010

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you know anything about Las Vegas? I've been working here for a few months and it's the worst-designed city and road system I've ever seen. I'm assuming it just grew so fast that there was zero attempt to plan or organize anything, but I don't really know.

I miss subways. :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

...where every argument you posted was proven to be wrong.

Also, that graph shows that rail transit uses significantly less energy than the typical one person per car, without even touching on the maintenance issues that causes on roads.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

rt4 posted:

...where every argument you posted was proven to be wrong.

Also, that graph shows that rail transit uses significantly less energy than the typical one person per car, without even touching on the maintenance issues that causes on roads.
Did you see the part where rail transit uses twice as much energy per passenger as a single-person hybrid, and thus 4x more than carpooling in a hybrid?

Cichlidae, please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't cars cause negligible wear to roads compared with trucks and buses? Like, one truck/bus does more damage than 50,000 cars?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

grover posted:

Not this poo poo again.
You just chose to ignore the fact that it doesn't really matter how energy efficient a mode of transportation is per km travelled, but how much energy is consumed per trip. People in dense cities tend to ride shorter trips because land use is more efficient (mainly because they don't have metric shitloads² of space taken up by parking lots). Add to this the fact that people who live in dense cities tend to make fewer trips per day and the result is a lower net energy expenditure within a given span of time.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Nesnej posted:

You just chose to ignore the fact that it doesn't really matter how energy efficient a mode of transportation is per km travelled, but how much energy is consumed per trip. People in dense cities tend to ride shorter trips because land use is more efficient (mainly because they don't have metric shitloads² of space taken up by parking lots). Add to this the fact that people who live in dense cities tend to make fewer trips per day and the result is a lower net energy expenditure within a given span of time.
Transportation so inconvenient that you make fewer trips isn't really an advantage. (You can do the same thing with cars by increasing congestion and fuel costs/taxes, btw. This was pointed out in the Auckland video as a stabilizing factor for roads.) Nor are small apartments that come with high population density very desirable. Or having to walk a half mile in the rain to get to the nearest subway stop. Personally, I like having a yard and not hearing my neighbors' talking when I go to sleep.

You must consider that mass transit rarely goes directly from your point A to point B, so you have to add extra length to that. I'd rather drive 2x as far (or carpool 4x as far) in a hybrid on a well designed and congestion-free freeway system, and also be able to carry a week's worth of groceries home with me, too.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

grover posted:

:argh: my mcmansion, 2 car garage, and 2 and a half children :argh:

Mass transit in well-developed urban areas isn't any less convenient than a car, and often is a lot more convenient once you add in the cost and hassle of parking and driving in city traffic. Even Boston's T, despite its many failures, is more convenient than actually driving into the city. A certain amount of that is congestion, yes, but land values in the city have raised parking costs to the point where it's prohibitively expensive to make a habit of driving in for anything other than tourism.

Of course, I also live in a smaller northeastern city that developed pre-automobile, have a spacious house and a backyard because I'm *gasp* earning above the poverty level (although not by much... gotta keep my hipster cred somehow,) have a grocery store and farmers market a block and a half from my house, own a bicycle with a basket and rack for hauling poo poo that would be unwieldy on a bus and work 1 mile from where I live. (and even here, mass transit is still more convenient than driving when I want to head downtown on weekdays) Urban living doesn't mean NYC.

corgski fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 23, 2010

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

33 people on a commuter train? Really? I just took a train back home from work (at 1 AM) and there were more people in my CARRIAGE.

MiTEG
Mar 3, 2005
not stupid, just lazy

jeoh-kun posted:

33 people on a commuter train? Really? I just took a train back home from work (at 1 AM) and there were more people in my CARRIAGE.

Divide the number of passengers on your train by the length of their commutes and you'll have the answer.

It's a great feeling, to board a nearly empty bus knowing I won't have to sit next to someone of questionable hygiene/sanity. But at the same time, I know it's a tremendous waste of resources.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

grover posted:

I'd rather drive 2x as far (or carpool 4x as far) in a hybrid on a well designed and congestion-free freeway system, and also be able to carry a week's worth of groceries home with me, too.

Is there any developed country with a congestion free freeway system?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

NihilismNow posted:

Is there any developed country with a congestion free freeway system?

There is no such thing by definition. There's a weird phenomenon where adding more capacity just increases the amount of use, so congestion doesn't actually go down. Short of computerized bumper to bumper robot cars there's no way to eliminate it. Good design can make it better, but the only way to actually reduce it is a proper public transportation system that can take the load off the roadways.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Grand Fromage posted:

There is no such thing by definition. There's a weird phenomenon where adding more capacity just increases the amount of use, so congestion doesn't actually go down. Short of computerized bumper to bumper robot cars there's no way to eliminate it. Good design can make it better, but the only way to actually reduce it is a proper public transportation system that can take the load off the roadways.

Sorry I haven't been able to post much, turns out car accidents can gently caress you up pretty badly.

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to build a congestion-free network, but it's theoretically possible that, if density remains below a certain threshold, there might not be enough demand to saturate the road. In practice, it's incredibly hard to limit density, because growth is seen as a necessity of a healthy town. Kevin Lynch contends that a healthy town could be stagnant, or even shrinking, neither of which poses much challenge for traffic engineers.

I would argue that, if ample resources are set aside for future high-density transit expansion, freeways can provide excellent service in low-growth areas. Of course, I learned traffic engineering from playing SimCity, so take that with a grain of salt.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Cichlidae posted:

Sorry I haven't been able to post much, turns out car accidents can gently caress you up pretty badly.
What happened?

Cichlidae posted:

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to build a congestion-free network, but it's theoretically possible that, if density remains below a certain threshold, there might not be enough demand to saturate the road. In practice, it's incredibly hard to limit density, because growth is seen as a necessity of a healthy town. Kevin Lynch contends that a healthy town could be stagnant, or even shrinking, neither of which poses much challenge for traffic engineers.
I doubt that would translate well to real world situations though, because politicians always seem to figure that if infrastructure doesn't display any obvious faults, it doesn't need funding.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nesnej posted:

What happened?

Merging in from the HOV lane on I-91 SB, I saw someone coming up fast behind me into my blind spot, so I turned to make sure I wasn't getting sideswiped. When I looked back in front, the van ahead of me had stopped. The pavement was wet, so I couldn't stop in time. Poof, there goes the front half of my car, and that airbag smoke hurts. I managed to get to the shoulder and my car got towed away. I got a ticket for following too closely.

Nothing hurt at the time, but I've had a wicked sore back since. Ah well, it was unavoidable. Just not looking forward to paying the deductible, ticket, and increased rates.

quote:

I doubt that would translate well to real world situations though, because politicians always seem to figure that if infrastructure doesn't display any obvious faults, it doesn't need funding.

Funny how that works, huh? I doubt traffic engineers would make good politicians, but politicians make awful traffic engineers.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Cichlidae posted:

Funny how that works, huh?
I think it's just human nature. I've gotten a few odd looks from several different flatmates who had never realised that you're supposed to vacuum the back of your fridge every year or so. Basically, if something doesn't require your attention at least once a month, it's eternal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nesnej posted:

I've gotten a few odd looks from several different flatmates who had never realised that you're supposed to vacuum the back of your fridge every year or so.

You mean *behind* the fridge, right? Because if you mean the inside, that's a new rule for me, too.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Phanatic posted:

You mean *behind* the fridge, right? Because if you mean the inside, that's a new rule for me, too.
You clean off the radiator to keep it operating efficiently.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Alereon posted:

You clean off the radiator to keep it operating efficiently.
Yes, this was what I was referring to.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I was visiting Delft and came across this on the way back from the hostel:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

What am I looking at? What do these markings mean?

I was there visiting architecture students, so it was fitting that 50 m later I happened upon the headquarters of WAM Architecture. Never heard of them?:

Click here for the full 550x815 image.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Groda posted:

I was there visiting architecture students, so it was fitting that 50 m later I happened upon the headquarters of WAM Architecture. Never heard of them?:

Click here for the full 550x815 image.

Ah yeah, obnoxious PoMo that also looks like cheap poo poo. I was hoping that era had ended.

ProTip: If an architect ever uses the word "witty" to describe their design... run.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I walked in and asked them if they had designed it. A tall man with a pony tail and purple suit jacket said, "You don't like it? :smith:"

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Someone played too much animal crossing

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Groda posted:

I was visiting Delft and came across this on the way back from the hostel:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

What am I looking at? What do these markings mean?

The triangles are called 'shark teeth' and they indicate that whatever traffic is on the pointy side of them, has to yield. In this case, to the bikes on the bike path. The triangular sign with the red border also indicates this. The stripes just mark where the bike path goes.

Seems like these markings are fresh and also pretty sloppy, though.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Yeah, they're shark teeth, but there are two rows of them on Spoorsingel. How does that work? Also, they seem to just go diagonally across the street (Havenstraat).

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Groda posted:

Yeah, they're shark teeth, but there are two rows of them on Spoorsingel. How does that work? Also, they seem to just go diagonally across the street (Havenstraat).

One of them is for the pedestrian/bike path; both directions have to yield to that. The other is... a bit bizarre, as you noted. I'd take it to mean an all-way yield.

Also, it's delightful to see a street called Bolwerk. I get pretty irrationally upset at streets named "boulevards" here that weren't originally city walls.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Cichlidae posted:

Also, it's delightful to see a street called Bolwerk. I get pretty irrationally upset at streets named "boulevards" here that weren't originally city walls.

Man, you must be pretty upset over the street in West Hartford named just "Boulevard" :v:

Actually there's a good segway - what, exactly, drives street naming (outside of planned grids)? Is it pretty much arbitrary choices/political points?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Groda posted:

Okay, yeah it looks like something went wrong with the second row... There should only be shark teeth on the right side of the road, there. Maybe they got confused because the Havenstraat is one-way, or something. And there's also the bike path of Bolwerk merging with the Havenstraat. Can't blame them for getting confused :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Derpes Simplex posted:

Man, you must be pretty upset over the street in West Hartford named just "Boulevard" :v:

I choose to believe that, at some point, West Hartford had a big-rear end wall downtown (probably with ornamental luminaires and mast arms), and I'll gladly avoid seeking out the truth.

quote:

Actually there's a good segway - what, exactly, drives street naming (outside of planned grids)? Is it pretty much arbitrary choices/political points?

Private roads are pretty much the decision of the landowner. The most ridiculous street names are in private areas.

Public roads can be named by the town council, chosen by a city planner or mayor, or chosen by fiat if the engineer uses a name on plans and nobody complains. The latter is how we get roads like Old Route 740 or, in a more extreme case, Old West High Street #4.