Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Hey.

I've been looking to buying a car for some time and one of my top picks are the MKIII GTI and MKII GTI (prefer III). I've looked at a few and they are fun to drive, but so far I've been out offered by other buyers looking at the same cars. KBB has a MKIII GTI at 150xxx miles at 2,000 but most people in the Seattle WA area are selling them for 3-4,000. Is that a legitimate price if everything checks out mechanically?

Last mkIII I looked at was nice but needed a paint job badly so I offered 2,800 and he replied another guy offered 3,600 and I said that was out of my price range and that was that. Did he rip the other person off?

Also was seeing if people knew of other places to look for GTI's other than Autotrader and CL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
How can you set the timing perfect on the 2.7T engine? I had to remove the belt for some gasket repairs and I think the timing may have gotten screwed up in the process. Is there any way to set the crank at TDC and then visually inspect the cams to make sure that they are in the correct position? Is this sort of thing outlined in the Bentley Manual that you know of? Cause I've been sort of putting off buying it but if there is a good outline of how to get it right I might just buy it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Fixit posted:

Last mkIII I looked at was nice but needed a paint job badly so I offered 2,800 and he replied another guy offered 3,600 and I said that was out of my price range and that was that. Did he rip the other person off?

It could also be a cheap trick to get you into offering more money. Watch out.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
So I just took delivery on a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup edition today. I like it.

Unfortunately, the ipod adapter seems to fall out of my iphone though... Something with the latches. Is this something anyone has seen before? Does a new MDI cable fix it, or is it my iPhone?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

mrbucket posted:

Unfortunately, the ipod adapter seems to fall out of my iphone though... Something with the latches. Is this something anyone has seen before? Does a new MDI cable fix it, or is it my iPhone?

I don't have the problem with mine, and I would think the cable is the same. I have a 3rd gen nano.

Was it hard to get that car? It is pretty sweet looking. What color is it... heck post some pics!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

mrbucket posted:

Something is wrong with the adapter, I'd have the dealership order you a new one.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

JHVH-1 posted:

I don't have the problem with mine, and I would think the cable is the same. I have a 3rd gen nano.

Was it hard to get that car? It is pretty sweet looking. What color is it... heck post some pics!

Interesting. I have an iPhone 3gs. The connector works fine in an old 4th gen iPod I have lying around that's dead, just not the 3gs.

As for a pic, so far this is all I've taken. I'll have a picture session with it eventually...

DropShadow posted:

Something is wrong with the adapter, I'd have the dealership order you a new one.
I'd agree, but when I was doing a test drive (and I test drove several TDIs) the two with iPod connectors seemed to do this. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt my iPhone before I went asking.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

mrbucket posted:

Interesting. I have an iPhone 3gs. The connector works fine in an old 4th gen iPod I have lying around that's dead, just not the 3gs.

As for a pic, so far this is all I've taken. I'll have a picture session with it eventually...

I'd agree, but when I was doing a test drive (and I test drove several TDIs) the two with iPod connectors seemed to do this. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt my iPhone before I went asking.

If it's the same iPod adapter they've been using since '08, it's not iPhone Compatible anyhow. It won't charge your phone, even if it will play music off of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

teh jhey posted:

My first ever CEL :smith:

09 GTI, 2.0 TSI, 16000 miles

P2015: intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit range/performance

Searching around says it's a known issue and they'll replace the "Variable Intake Manifold Adjusting Unit" under warranty.
http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/12359-cel-code-P2015-intake-manifold-malfunction

The car idles rough when cold, and goes back to normal when warm (other than the CEL). Is this a serious issue that will blow up my car and kill my mother if I drive it around, or will I at least be able to get it to the dealer?

It's a valve in the intake manifold that lets the ECU change the intake geometry under different conditions to provide optimum power. There should be no harm from driving it like that, just reduced power somewhere in the rev range.

minivanmegafun posted:

If it's the same iPod adapter they've been using since '08, it's not iPhone Compatible anyhow. It won't charge your phone, even if it will play music off of it.

It'd be pretty silly for them to still be selling cars with firewire charging only, since no iPhone from the 3G on out plus none of the new iPods would be charge compatible. That said, if for some reason they are that stupid there are dirt cheap adapters which sit in between the iDevice and the car which move the power over to the USB pins on the dock where the new devices expect it. Most aftermarket adapters have new cables available which fix it as well, so I wouldn't be surprised to find older VW cables can be replaced to update compatibility.

e: Something like this, though I'm pretty sure you can get them cheaper and smaller. A friend gave me one to get my iPhone 3G charging off my DICE HD adapter and it works great.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 19, 2010

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

minivanmegafun posted:

Works fine with my iPhone 4. Actually, I think it works better than it did with the 3G, which would bitch about how the adapter wasn't 3G-compatible. I'm pretty sure that the phone displays that incompatibility message when it detects something trying to charge it via the FireWire charge pins on the dock connector. The iPhone 4 probably doesn't even have the FireWire power pins connected to anything any more.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Looking into purchasing either an e36 M3 or a 2010 GTI. I was wondering whether there was a substantial difference between the 2011 and 2010 models?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Shadowhand00 posted:

Looking into purchasing either an e36 M3 or a 2010 GTI. I was wondering whether there was a substantial difference between the 2011 and 2010 models?

2011 they moved over to packages for options, so you have to choose a package even if you don't want all the features.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4855882-2011-GTI-Changes-Official

2010 the 18" wheels were an option, 2011 standard
2010 the base stereo was touch screen, 2011 you have to upgrade to nav package
2011 comes with improved bluetooth module
2011 doesn't have the noise pipe that the 2010 does. This lets you hear some engine growl in the cockpit. Some people were worried that it took away from boost levels or whatever but I don't know if it makes much difference in reality.

Other than a few changes like that, it is pretty much the same car. So if there is one on the lot with the options you want it might give you buying leverage.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

2011 doesn't have the noise pipe that the 2010 does. This lets you hear some engine growl in the cockpit. Some people were worried that it took away from boost levels or whatever but I don't know if it makes much difference in reality.

Was this on Vortex, because I can't see how it would make a difference...

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

minivanmegafun posted:

It does charge my phone and it does play music off of it. I just have to... tape it on.

I've mentioned it to the dealer, so here's hoping they have a new one they can just mail up to me.

Excalipur
Jul 2, 2003
You make me throw up a little.
I picked up a black TDI cup on Saturday, still trying to decide if I want to keep the body sticker on or not.

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.
How prevalent is the issue of carbon deposits on the intake valves of the BPY and CCTA engines? Is it one of those "only a matter of time" issue? Or does it only happen to the people who neglect engine maintenance?

I don't suppose a can of seafoam every so often would be sufficient preventative maintenance.

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin

Timmy Cruise posted:

Was this on Vortex, because I can't see how it would make a difference...

Yes, someone disabled theirs to very little / no benefit. Me personally? I like to hear my GTI when I mash it, so I'd be disappointed to not have the valve. Some will go with an upgraded exhaust anyway, so it's a moot point.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

teh jhey posted:

My first ever CEL :smith:

09 GTI, 2.0 TSI, 16000 miles

P2015: intake manifold runner position sensor/switch circuit range/performance

Searching around says it's a known issue and they'll replace the "Variable Intake Manifold Adjusting Unit" under warranty.
http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/12359-cel-code-P2015-intake-manifold-malfunction

The car idles rough when cold, and goes back to normal when warm (other than the CEL). Is this a serious issue that will blow up my car and kill my mother if I drive it around, or will I at least be able to get it to the dealer?

This fault is really starting to show up more and more. It's not really serious - there's a sensor that monitors the position of the intake manifold runner flaps. When the sensor goes bad the ECU can't tell what position the flaps are in so it turns on the MIL. You can drive it to the dealer with no problem.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND has a MKIV Jetta and the lighter socket in the console pooped out on her. The fuse is good, and the wire is plugged into the socket, but I didn't check the actual wire for power with my multimeter. Do the sockets on these just go bad or am I going to have to trace the wire and take the dash apart?

Are you 100% sure that you're checking the right fuse? I assume your GF is using the socket to charge or run a device of some kind - have you tried another adapter in the lighter socket to make sure the problem isn't with whatever she's plugging into it?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
The window motor in my right window is noticeably louder than the one in the left, more whiny and high-pitched. Doesn't affect window operation, but should I get it checked out just in case?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Autism Sundae posted:

The window motor in my right window is noticeably louder than the one in the left, more whiny and high-pitched. Doesn't affect window operation, but should I get it checked out just in case?
Have you tried sitting closer to it? My car's windows sound different from the drivers' seat but are basically the same when you're right next to them.

If it really bothers you, I guess you can take it into the shop, but if they're going the same speed I'd just wait and see if it gets worse.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

How can you set the timing perfect on the 2.7T engine? I had to remove the belt for some gasket repairs and I think the timing may have gotten screwed up in the process. Is there any way to set the crank at TDC and then visually inspect the cams to make sure that they are in the correct position? Is this sort of thing outlined in the Bentley Manual that you know of? Cause I've been sort of putting off buying it but if there is a good outline of how to get it right I might just buy it.

Well, there's a arrow on the upper area of the lower plastic cover behind the crank pulley and a notch on the pulley itself - when lined up the crank is at TDC. The cams are a little different - there should be a oval metal piece in front of each cam gear with two holes in it. When the cams are at TDC the four holes should be aligned horizontally with each other with the larger 2 holes on each cam nearest each other.

Crappy Paint rendition:

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Blocko posted:

How prevalent is the issue of carbon deposits on the intake valves of the BPY and CCTA engines? Is it one of those "only a matter of time" issue? Or does it only happen to the people who neglect engine maintenance?

I don't suppose a can of seafoam every so often would be sufficient preventative maintenance.

It's been much more common on the larger displacement FSI engines (the S4/RS4 4.2L for example) but maintenance hasn't really been much of a factor. I tend to think that shorter drives hasten the carbon build-up process since the 2 RS4's we've had that ended up having to have their heads removed were used a in-city commuter cars. We've got some S4's and lots of 2.0T cars that haven't had any problems with carbon build-up at all so it's not inevitable.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

Borrowed a friend's camera so I could get some better pics of that transmission input shaft. Thanks for looking into it.

Also, should I be concerned about that surface rust? I've had my engine out for a good month and we've been getting some rain. Can I just wipe it off and be fine?

Thanks for the better pics. We can't tell exactly what's gone wrong here but the damaged part doesn't look like it belongs on that shaft. Can you get a pic of the converter where that shaft goes? I suspect that the shaft came out on an angle and damaged that metal bit. Will that result in problems after re-assembly? Hard to say but it's certainly damaged.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Have you tried sitting closer to it? My car's windows sound different from the drivers' seat but are basically the same when you're right next to them.

If it really bothers you, I guess you can take it into the shop, but if they're going the same speed I'd just wait and see if it gets worse.

I haven't done that, I'll try it.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest
So the dealer grabbed a cord from another car and popped it in. Same issue with the cord not staying seated.

I also notice that if i tap 'selection' then go up to artist view it'll load the artist list.. then go back to the song info screen, play about 10 sec of the song that was playing then tell me it's not connected. Not always.

I'm going to try a full-blown restore, then see what happens. Rebooting the iPhone seems to fix it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

mrbucket posted:

Could you (and the other TDI Cup owner in the thread) post some impressions or maybe a review and some more pics of it?

I saw it on VW's website over the summer and immediately became very interested in it. My girlfriend has an 09 Jetta SLE that I drive quite frequently and I really enjoy her car, minus the 2.5 powerplant (which isn't bad, but I'm used to my supercharged Acura...) The prospect of a Jetta plus a nicer suspension and some more power is very appealing.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

my1999gsr posted:

This fault is really starting to show up more and more. It's not really serious - there's a sensor that monitors the position of the intake manifold runner flaps. When the sensor goes bad the ECU can't tell what position the flaps are in so it turns on the MIL. You can drive it to the dealer with no problem.

Cool. I'll put this off till next week, then. Is this the reason my tailpipes go black so quickly?

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

Wamsutta posted:

Could you (and the other TDI Cup owner in the thread) post some impressions or maybe a review and some more pics of it?

I may take some this weekend... I'll post a link here if I do.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Wamsutta posted:

I saw it on VW's website over the summer and immediately became very interested in it. My girlfriend has an 09 Jetta SLE that I drive quite frequently and I really enjoy her car, minus the 2.5 powerplant (which isn't bad, but I'm used to my supercharged Acura...) The prospect of a Jetta plus a nicer suspension and some more power is very appealing.

I thought you were gonna keep the SC'ed TSX forever?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

teh jhey posted:

Cool. I'll put this off till next week, then. Is this the reason my tailpipes go black so quickly?

Not likely - the ECU fuel trim maps are made to work with the intake runner flaps position in mind. Since the ECU looks at the signals from the 02 sensors it should be able to compensate for the marginal differences due to undefined runner flap position. The newer 2.0T engines seem to run pretty rich on start-up so that's probably where the tail-pipe soot comes from.

mrbucket
Nov 11, 2004

aaag armrest

mrbucket posted:

I may take some this weekend... I'll post a link here if I do.

So, my friend took some pics for me, which is good because I decided to ignore his "shoot in manual!!" advice.

Start at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgillham/5108311792/in/photostream/.

ATF
Jul 9, 2009

mrbucket posted:

So, my friend took some pics for me, which is good because I decided to ignore his "shoot in manual!!" advice.

Start at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickgillham/5108311792/in/photostream/.

I told you to shoot in manual..

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I found a 2004 R32 at the dealer. The problem is its slightly steep going for 15888. Do you guys think I would have room for negotiation? Its in fairly good condition - been in 2 accidents.

Also, any thoughts on the 2004 R32 would be appreciated.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

been in 2 accidents.

Turn around, walk away.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Shadowhand00 posted:

I found a 2004 R32 at the dealer. The problem is its slightly steep going for 15888. Do you guys think I would have room for negotiation? Its in fairly good condition - been in 2 accidents.

Also, any thoughts on the 2004 R32 would be appreciated.

The problem with R32s getting in accidents though is even if its a really bad one they still repair them because of the high book value. Like Dropshadow said, walk away from that one.

You should still get one though. I had one and it was one of the most fun cars I have ever driven and the sound can't be beat. The maintenance can be expensive if you haven't looked into it yet. The Haldex fluid needs to be changed every 40k miles and requires a special $120 tool (last I looked) if you do it yourself. The brakes are fairly expensive to replace and so are the tires. Its worth it though, so worth it. I'm sure my1999gsr can think of more, its been years since I had mine :(

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
How hard is it to add an Aux input to an 08 a4 avant (non nav, with bose and ipod adapter)?

Because I got one. And it's awesome.

Ideally I'd like to run the input back to the little tray under the arm rest.

Is there an OEM cable or should I just build one?
I know the process is roughly: get special tool to pull radio, plug cable into harness in back...and then somehow magically get it under the trim back to where I want it to go.

In my M3 it was pretty easy.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

havelock posted:

How hard is it to add an Aux input to an 08 a4 avant (non nav, with bose and ipod adapter)?

Because I got one. And it's awesome.

Ideally I'd like to run the input back to the little tray under the arm rest.

Is there an OEM cable or should I just build one?
I know the process is roughly: get special tool to pull radio, plug cable into harness in back...and then somehow magically get it under the trim back to where I want it to go.

In my M3 it was pretty easy.

My default answer for auto hookups is Enfig. Start here and you'll likely find something that works. AUX inputs are mixed among the iPod/iPhone inputs on that page. I've ordered from Enfig many times, and they're always great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shadowhand00 posted:

I found a 2004 R32 at the dealer. The problem is its slightly steep going for 15888.

That's cheaper than a STI or EVO of the same year, which really are the only cars you can compare it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

I thought you were gonna keep the SC'ed TSX forever?

Pretty much! But that doesn't mean I won't try and get my girlfriend into a TDI when her lease is up :)