Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I will admit, the thought of doing gulf livery crossed my mind.

The aircraft shark nose has been done too:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328452

I'm not too concerned about crashability of the paint job because they're hot bodies and will shatter on impact with anything.

The other factor is that I have to be recognizable on the grid so my fiancee can pick me out from the crowd. Is baby blue and orange recognizable enough? :v: Also, it's getting 2 tone wheels, supermoto style, so I think baby blue and orange is a good choice for that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Personally I love the dazzle stuff. :) Looks great and extremely visible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KARMA! posted:

Personally I love the dazzle stuff. :) Looks great and extremely visible.

Somehow I missed that. Maybe I should do a gulf racing dazzle scheme! :v:

Edit: No, definitely thinking that a gulf racing orange and teal in dazzle with 2 tone orange and teal wheels is the way to go.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

Edit: No, definitely thinking that a gulf racing orange and teal in dazzle with 2 tone orange and teal wheels is the way to go.

:pwn::wtf::pwn:

LOUDEST PAINT SCHEME EVER

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Go with Suzuki MotoGP powder blue for that extra touch of failure

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I

Z3n posted:

I'd love to see the matching leathers with that. :)

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

hell yes!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

...Gulf colours in dazzle with 2 tone wheels is the way to go.

Yes, yes and yes.

Do this or I will hate you forever.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
I'm an authorized Norse Asatru prophet.

I foresee, that once there will be an actual project in this very thread.

Keep this thread bookmarked kids, and the new world enlightenment will be just too obvious.

(Laverda Orange) http://www.google.com/images?hl=da&rlz=1G1GGLQ_DAZZ267&q=laverda%20orange&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1024&bih=512

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 22, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Yes! A cubist, Picasso-ish interpretation of the Gulf livery. You will be internationally famous.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 22, 2010

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Not an artist's impression.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whelp gonna do that. I didn't think it'd turn out that well with all the blank space but that looks awesome.

Good thing I don't have any sponsors. :v:

Wired up the Innovate A/F tuning kit on the DRZ today, thanks to MotoMind for loaning it to me! I've got video and stuff and I'll do a bigger write up on it later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alright, so I've been meaning to get to this for awhile...

But today I felt like crap so I took a sick day off work, slept in, and finally had the time to pull the exhaust off the DRZ and take it to get the sensor welded in.

For the low low sum of 40$, I got this wonderful weld:

:w00t:

Moving on, though:

Wired everything up, mounted the A/F controller nice and out of the way:

And after correctly calibrating the sensor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTC9b1amUaM

So...looks like I might be running just a tad rich. I warmed it up, took it down the street, and it looks like it's pretty much at around 12-12.5:1 across the board. Going to start by going down a main jet size and seeing how much that affects thing. It should be possible to change the main jets with the carb on the bike. From what I've read, it looks like the way to do things to is to start with the main jet and work my way down.

Any advice on tuning the FCR?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Z3n posted:

Wired everything up, mounted the A/F controller nice and out of the way:

How do you rate the Innovate unit? I was considering getting one to help me iron out issues with the 690 SMC.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

It's well worth it, mate. I don't see any reason to not support your local, blind spastic welder. How well does he hide his Parkinson disease? Is this your welder?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I pay for small welding jobs in beer, but you shouldn't let him drink it before he does the work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

How do you rate the Innovate unit? I was considering getting one to help me iron out issues with the 690 SMC.

I've just got the basic unit, and it's been set up mostly by MotoMind already, I just had to solder it to a switched and fused power source, ground it, and get the sensor bung welded in. Beside that, it was pretty much plug and play.

My other friend has one of the newer units with datalogging and such, but he's never used it. I might try and borrow it for the racebike, haha.

Blaster of Justice posted:

It's well worth it, mate. I don't see any reason to not support your local, blind spastic welder. How well does he hide his Parkinson disease? Is this your welder?

The funny thing is...he did a good job on another pipe I had modified...he cut off the old mount and welded in a larger one for me. :iiam:

Zool posted:

I pay for small welding jobs in beer, but you shouldn't let him drink it before he does the work.

This is good advice.

So I had the chance to take the bike for a spin yesterday, I found that it pretty much flattens out at 11:1 when the bike is pinned. Need to go down a few jet sizes and potentially look into reducing the duration on the AP. I'm gonna start with the jets and see how much I get from that first.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Sweet. FYI the LC1 will log to a laptop through a serial cable, never tried it...

When I adjusted my bike I'm not sure I gained power, but when I leaned out the needle relative to the main I was pretty happy with the change power delivery as I twisted the throttle. Maybe I got less power at middle throttle openings, but having acceleration ramp up as you approach WOT is nice. That was on my CV anyway.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Sweet. FYI the LC1 will log to a laptop through a serial cable, never tried it...

When I adjusted my bike I'm not sure I gained power, but when I leaned out the needle relative to the main I was pretty happy with the change power delivery as I twisted the throttle. Maybe I got less power at middle throttle openings, but having acceleration ramp up as you approach WOT is nice. That was on my CV anyway.

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what I'm gonna find when I mess with it. We'll see how it goes.

Engine shows up tomorrow, but I won't be able to install it until next week. Some friends are coming to visit, and I'm getting married, so...yaknow. Sometime next week it'll go in.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

I'm getting married, so...yaknow. Sometime next week it'll go in.

If you know what I mean...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

If you know what I mean...

And apparently after that, never again. :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Until she hits her mid-to-late thirties and the hormones kick in :pervert:

[/experience]

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Until she hits her mid-to-late thirties and the hormones kick in :pervert:

[/experience]

:neckbeard:

Either way I'm pretty excited.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Hey man, congrats :)

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

I'm getting married

Well, its been nice knowing you

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What, like I ever made it out of the house before? :v:

Anyways, engine should be showing up today, hopefully it didn't get trashed in shipping, and I discovered that some of the parts I had disappeared in the mail. This is the first time USPS has failed me in this regard...I got all the insurance info back, the addresses, and the delivery confirmation, but nothing else. :sigh:

At least I can collect the insurance money after they've made a "thorough search" for things. :sigh: Already refunded the guy's cash, and he was cool about it, but it still sucks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A post in pictures:

Stickers should be available soon :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Oh my god you're actually going to do DazzleGulf aren't you

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Oh my god you're actually going to do DazzleGulf aren't you

I'm actually not in control of the paint job anymore...The friend who made the logo is also the friend who is doing the painting. I have no idea what I'm going to get out of it. :v:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

What, like I ever made it out of the house before? :v:

Anyways, engine should be showing up today, hopefully it didn't get trashed in shipping, and I discovered that some of the parts I had disappeared in the mail. This is the first time USPS has failed me in this regard...I got all the insurance info back, the addresses, and the delivery confirmation, but nothing else. :sigh:

At least I can collect the insurance money after they've made a "thorough search" for things. :sigh: Already refunded the guy's cash, and he was cool about it, but it still sucks.

If you got delivery confirmation it was probably delivered and stole off his front porch. Or he's scamming you. Either way, good thing it was insured.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

If you got delivery confirmation it was probably delivered and stole off his front porch. Or he's scamming you. Either way, good thing it was insured.

Nah, it's not like that...he doesn't have the package, and delivery confirmation doesn't show it as being delivered. I got a piece of the packaging with the delivery confirmation tag, my address, his address, and the insurance tag from the post office along with a letter that says it was lost in the mail. I don't know if someone really wanted a DRZ tank or the box legitimately did get damaged and then lost, but I was pretty goddamn careful boxing that thing up with bubble wrap and then taping everything securely. Who knows.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr0rWoqI3Ck

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

hell yeah :neckbeard:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So the engine was installed friday, I got married on saturday, and today I swapped the dirt wheels back on to the DRZ.

Also got another rendition of the new logo that I'll be running on the racebike:

Getting some stickers made up like that, and then also just getting some of the logo with no background.

The GSX-R runs ok, but I'd imagine that the exhaust leaks from reusing the old gaskets and the lack of an airbox, plus running on a totally stock map, means it's running way lean at idle. Now that I've verified that it runs, I'll install the PCV, try and get a baseline map on it, and install the quickshifter module. The remainder of the plastics and the tank will go up to my friend, and once he's done with the painting it'll all go back together.

The things I need to complete the GSX-R are:

The proper quickshifter sensor/the proper length shift rod
Exhaust gaskets
520 front sprocket
new chain

For the DRZ I need a longer chain and to bleed the front brakes, install the skid plate, recalculate the speedo and add a speedo magnet to the dirt wheels.

I'm a little concerned that the 14/47 gearing will be a bit overkill, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I can always swap back on a 15 front if it gets too short with the 14. Hopefully this next weekend I can get out and finally do some offroading. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, while digging around for information on how to make my 08 tank work with my 06 engine, I discovered that Suzuki really doesn't like it when you bypass their clutch switches.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=250801

Apparently the clutch switch is also wired to send a signal to the ECU, and if you bridge the clutch switch, it will forever run in the neutral map which drastically reduces power at the top end. Glad I figured this out before I wondered why my 600 felt more like an SV. The solution listed there is pretty simple and conclusive, and means I'll be able to start the bike without dicking around with a backup switch or having to worry about running 2 small wires to the clutch switch and them getting damaged or pulling out.

God, I hate clutch switches. Not because they're bad in theory, but because they are super irritating when they fail. Plus it'd be nice to have space on the left side for a kill switch for my quickshifter so if it decides to poo poo the bed I can still race.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

I

I'd love to see the matching leathers with that. :)

Clearly the only option is to go :krad: '80s Cobra style. :ninja:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Boat posted:

Clearly the only option is to go :krad: '80s Cobra style. :ninja:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

:hellyeah:

No dazzle though, my friend who's painting it is one of my riding mentors and I'll be sponsored by his business so it can't get too crazy.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Well this looks amazing :dance: I want a sticker when you get them done :)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

:hellyeah:

loving hell I love this so much. Wanna do this to my own Zuke this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
that looks amazing, I can't wait to see the entire bike

• Locked thread