Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://www.keh.com/camera/Miscellaneous-Collectibles-Fixed-Lens-Cameras/1/sku-AC049990867670?r=FE

wtf is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A camera for training Japanese pilots in WWII. They go do a training exercise and use film instead of ammo, get back to the base, develop the film and see how accurate they are.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Probably similar to one of these bad boys

I saw one on sale in a market in Kiev once but didn't have nearly enough money to haggle with

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

A camera for training Japanese pilots in WWII. They go do a training exercise and use film instead of ammo, get back to the base, develop the film and see how accurate they are.

That's cool as hell

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wanna do a photo walk with that thing.

"Everyone run, he's got a grenade launcher!"

Wonder if the police would see the amusement.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HPL posted:

this could very well be the coolest thing ever.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
I just watched City of God, without really knowing anything about it beforehand.
It reminded me why I love photography.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I just really need to rage about how much I hate facebook photographers who do family portrait shoots or whatever, and do things like selective coloring. You know what I mean, a bw photo with one color turned on.

And they do stupid poo poo. Like the only thing color is the persons eyes, or everything is bw except for blue jeans. Seriously gently caress the gently caress off.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ease posted:

I just really need to rage about how much I hate facebook photographers who do family portrait shoots or whatever, and do things like selective coloring. You know what I mean, a bw photo with one color turned on.

And they do stupid poo poo. Like the only thing color is the persons eyes, or everything is bw except for blue jeans. Seriously gently caress the gently caress off.

I'm pretty gracious to beginner photographers or some commercial techniques but selective coloring really really pisses me off.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I'm pretty gracious to beginner photographers or some commercial techniques but selective coloring really really pisses me off.

I posted this in the wedding thread already, but a client recently specifically asked that I do that to some of their frames. I don't want my name to be within 100 yards of those finished files.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

The sad part is I have done a bunch of them by request for client's weddings. Then they refer me to their friends who demand it. People really wont shut up about them and it makes me die a little inside every time I have to make one. I even had one lady who posted to her facebook nothing but the 3 selective color photos I gave her, out of 400 photos of her wedding. Those three photos got dozens of comments from people saying "wow amazing". I rarely get that kind of response for any of my other photos. It's so goddamn soul crushing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Wooten posted:

The sad part is I have done a bunch of them by request for client's weddings. Then they refer me to their friends who demand it. People really wont shut up about them and it makes me die a little inside every time I have to make one. I even had one lady who posted to her facebook nothing but the 3 selective color photos I gave her, out of 400 photos of her wedding. Those three photos got dozens of comments from people saying "wow amazing". I rarely get that kind of response for any of my other photos. It's so goddamn soul crushing.

This really makes me upset on your behalf. That's really horrible. I'm sorry about that.

A model decided to put some images from the contact sheet I sent her on fb as her profile picture and I almost flipped out.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
So, what did you do ?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

This really makes me upset on your behalf. That's really horrible. I'm sorry about that.

A model decided to put some images from the contact sheet I sent her on fb as her profile picture and I almost flipped out.

That's why I never give models anything but low-rez final photos because otherwise they do things like "oh I'll just 'fix' it up for facebook" and slap filter after filter on it and then it's really embarrassing if my name is ever attached. Whenever's that happened though, a sternly worded email usually takes care of it.

Satchmo
Nov 3, 2005
!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvu2QPQLlYA

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

I always wonder how many people out there watching that are knowingly nodding at the ridiculous reenactments, they themselves almost having been garroted by the single, yet sinister, cord that a digital camera requires. And the possibility that these people not only exist, but in numbers much larger than what I could ever willfully envision, frightens me dearly.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Why deal with these clumsy CARS when you can just ride a horse. Just feed it and go! Buy now and get TWO horses and TWO poop scoops for the price of one!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

William T. Hornaday posted:

I always wonder how many people out there watching that are knowingly nodding at the ridiculous reenactments, they themselves almost having been garroted by the single, yet sinister, cord that a digital camera requires. And the possibility that these people not only exist, but in numbers much larger than what I could ever willfully envision, frightens me dearly.

If such people existed in quantities, film wouldn't be on its way out. Ask any random person and they'd probably be surprised to hear that film cameras still exist.

Vast majority of people have gotten comfortable with the digital thing, even if all they do is plug the camera into a printer and spend a zillion dollars on inkjet cartridges to print them out.

Vivitar is pretty clearly pandering to the elderly and the stereotype that they're afraid of technology, but I can't name a single one of my grandparents who still use film. Sure it's an anecdote but it's not like your brain shuts off when you turn 80.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

xzzy posted:

If such people existed in quantities, film wouldn't be on its way out. Ask any random person and they'd probably be surprised to hear that film cameras still exist.

Vast majority of people have gotten comfortable with the digital thing, even if all they do is plug the camera into a printer and spend a zillion dollars on inkjet cartridges to print them out.

Vivitar is pretty clearly pandering to the elderly and the stereotype that they're afraid of technology, but I can't name a single one of my grandparents who still use film. Sure it's an anecdote but it's not like your brain shuts off when you turn 80.

The funny thing is you don't even have to know anything about computers if someone will help you set up your software. Hook camera up -> software included on disc auto-imports all your photos -> Click button to send all photos to Walgreens -> Walgreens mails your photos to you for some nominal fee (like $0.15 per 4x6 or something).

That's more than enough for 90% of people shooting pictures, and you have them on the computer too for emails and facebook and such.

I hate seeing old people portrayed as stupid. Yea they don't want to learn lightroom and post-production, but any of their kids/grand kids could help them set it up to be user-friendly in about 10 minutes.

Honestly though it's just the pretentious way the commercial is presented that is the most infuriating: Look at this amazing revolution in cameras! Film! Just stick it in and go!

subx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 23, 2010

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My mom is the person that ad is aimed at.

I've explained to her a hundred times how to import things into iPhoto. I've printed up step by step instructions with screenshots and arrows and everything.

And yet every weekend I get the dreaded call.

"I plugged the camera in, and it's saying something, what do I do?"
"Well what is it saying?"
"I plugged the camera in and there's a screen with a button"
"What does the screen say?"
"It says iPhoto"
"No, look lower"
"There's a button that says import. Should I click on it?"
"......."

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

You don't understand Martytoof, IT'S JUST SO CONFUSING.

I can't wait to be confused by the interface for importing memory banks on my holoflaz in 50 years.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

nonanone posted:

That's why I never give models anything but low-rez final photos because otherwise they do things like "oh I'll just 'fix' it up for facebook" and slap filter after filter on it and then it's really embarrassing if my name is ever attached. Whenever's that happened though, a sternly worded email usually takes care of it.

haha, yeah. I was sending out an email to the stylist and MUA who worked on the shoot and sort of unthinkingly added the model. It all worked out in the end.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Martytoof posted:

My mom is the person that ad is aimed at.

I've explained to her a hundred times how to import things into iPhoto. I've printed up step by step instructions with screenshots and arrows and everything.

And yet every weekend I get the dreaded call.

"I plugged the camera in, and it's saying something, what do I do?"
"Well what is it saying?"
"I plugged the camera in and there's a screen with a button"
"What does the screen say?"
"It says iPhoto"
"No, look lower"
"There's a button that says import. Should I click on it?"
"......."

I check my flickr stats occasionally. I'll see that some new, impossibly cute picture of the boy has zero views. When I speak to my mom, I say, "Hey, I put new pictures up yesterday." She says, "Yes, we looked at them." "Did you only look at the thumbnail size?" "What? What do you mean?" "You know, did you click on the picture to see it larger?" "Oh, we forgot about that."

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

torgeaux posted:

I check my flickr stats occasionally. I'll see that some new, impossibly cute picture of the boy has zero views. When I speak to my mom, I say, "Hey, I put new pictures up yesterday." She says, "Yes, we looked at them." "Did you only look at the thumbnail size?" "What? What do you mean?" "You know, did you click on the picture to see it larger?" "Oh, we forgot about that."
A couple years ago, I shot a bunch of photos of my friend's birthday party. I sent her the link to the Flickr set on MySpace and told her she could re-host them on there, if she wanted. The next time I logged in, she had uploaded all of them as the thumbnails. :ughh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
My nanna is 82, has a digital camera and uses Picasa to import and then email photos to everyone she knows.

About once a week the whole family will get 67 photos of her dog, her living room, her backyard and my grandfather dozing on the couch. :thumbsup:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also take your memory card to a print shop and ask them to print them all? Isn't that exactly identical in steps and ease of use as a film camera? Easier even, since loading a memory card is simpler than loading a roll of film.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
They should have made it clear that this camera doesn't have a mode dial, or anything other than a shutter button.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

You don't understand Martytoof, IT'S JUST SO CONFUSING.

I can't wait to be confused by the interface for importing memory banks on my holoflaz in 50 years.

I try to understand that a 60-something year old person might not be too comfortable with computers, but it's not like she's required to do some kind of complex mathematical formula -- the computer asks her if she wants to import the photos and she panics. It's as if the second the computer requires some interaction all reading comprehension goes out the window :haw:

I like to imagine that maybe 50 years from now I'll be able to fire the "yes" neuron when the holoflaz injects an import screen into my retinal display.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Finally bought a Spyder 3 pro today since it was heavily rebated - holy poo poo!
Sorry for the last 2 years of bad colors everyone :o:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm seriously afraid of what will happen if/when I ever get a calibrator.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
On reflection, I don't think anyone really needs to hear this story. Apologies to anyone who saw it.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 24, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Greybone posted:

Finally bought a Spyder 3 pro today since it was heavily rebated - holy poo poo!
Sorry for the last 2 years of bad colors everyone :o:

I have a second screen at work, and when I'm goofing off playing with some shots in lightroom the laptop and 2nd screen are VERY different colour wise.

How much did you pay for the Spyder? I've been musing about getting one for a while.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Spedman posted:

I have a second screen at work, and when I'm goofing off playing with some shots in lightroom the laptop and 2nd screen are VERY different colour wise.

How much did you pay for the Spyder? I've been musing about getting one for a while.

$171 in NOK, down from $240 - Norway is expensive I'm guessing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always wonder if there are places you can rent a Spyder. Should be no different than renting a lens, except for the software I guess.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Speaking of calibration, my laptop came with a built in hueyPRO. When I run it, I have to close the laptop and it takes a minute or two. Any idea how this works? I assume it uses the webcam somehow but there's no way it would be able to see anything on the screen except for maybe the very top of the monitor.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I always wonder if there are places you can rent a Spyder. Should be no different than renting a lens, except for the software I guess.

I've rented spectrometers (for calibrating printers) but that is a one time deal, monitors need to be calibrated on a regular basis. You can still rent them though if you really want to.

quote:

Speaking of calibration, my laptop came with a built in hueyPRO. When I run it, I have to close the laptop and it takes a minute or two. Any idea how this works? I assume it uses the webcam somehow but there's no way it would be able to see anything on the screen except for maybe the very top of the monitor.

What kind of laptop has a Huey built in? I bet the sensor is somewhere on the keyboard and closing it puts it close enough to read the screen like a normal one would.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

brad industry posted:

What kind of laptop has a Huey built in? I bet the sensor is somewhere on the keyboard and closing it puts it close enough to read the screen like a normal one would.
It's a Lenovo W510. Cost ~$60 extra I think.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

My grandpa is 86 and has never ever used a computer.

We bought him a mobile phone about 5 years ago for when he's in his car and stuff but he used that once and never touched it again.

Cable TV and a big flatscreen is the limit of his technology.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

brad industry posted:

I've rented spectrometers (for calibrating printers) but that is a one time deal, monitors need to be calibrated on a regular basis. You can still rent them though if you really want to.

I definitely understand that, but even a one-time calibrated monitor has to be better than factory calibration, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'll be honest, I never bother with proper calibration of my screen.

I do the simple software stuff, but that's it. (MS/Adobe wizards)

I don't make prints at home, so that is not a requirement for me.

My images are either seen on my screen (so, if it looks good on my screen, that is fine)or on friends/family screens -which are usually so wildly miscalibrated, it doesn't really matter whether the image colour is completely correct.

If I ever do print something out, it is going to be at a shop somewhere, so I'll need to colour match to them at the time of printing.

I guess I enjoy the non-destructive editing capabilities of LR much - it's easy to tweak the colours again and again without quality loss.