Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Axo Grande posted:

Then why were the announcers selling it in pure shock as if Goldberg had put on a pointy hat and declared himself the Wizard King.

They did it every time Goldberg pulled out something cool. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I believe Christian has come up here as someone that can put on a decent match with everyone, especially during the end of ECW. I personally started to enjoy Zack Ryder more after seeing their first ECW Championship match.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Bryanielson seems like a salient recent example to me. I wasn't 100% about the Miz being competent in-ring until their feud started resulting in matches.

PunkBoy posted:

I believe Christian has come up here as someone that can put on a decent match with everyone, especially during the end of ECW. I personally started to enjoy Zack Ryder more after seeing their first ECW Championship match.

Also what this guy said.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Reverse that and you've got something.

"So-a Vladamir! Whatta we gonna do tonight?"

"Same thing we do every night, Santino. Try to take over double-double-E!!!"

Shitty_Wok posted:

I wholeheartedly support this.

You know, the new Smackdown vs RAW game comes out in a couple of days . . .

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Eddie Kingston's great at getting guys over and generally has decent matches. So there's that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lone Rogue posted:

People watch that match and forget that originally Goldberg was supposed to be the ultimate hybrid wrestler who could do kicks, submissions and power moves along with a little bit of lucha. Goldberg trying submissions on Regal was natural to his character. It's just Regal didn't really sell much and forced Goldberg to work for everything.

I honestly love the Goldberg/Regal match. I thought it made Goldberg look good.

I don't get why people point to that match and say Regal made Goldberg look like a chump. They both looked good in that match. What I particularly remember is Regal having Goldberg in a waistlock and Goldberg rolling it through into a ankle lock, looked really good and would have impressed me regardless of who I saw do it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

PunkBoy posted:

Christian/Ryder from ECW was my favorite match of '09 outside of Undertaker/HBK. I loved that match.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't get why people point to that match and say Regal made Goldberg look like a chump.

Regal was booked to go out there and get beaten easily by Goldberg but pissed off from his standing in WCW, being asked to put over Goldberg and likely being high as poo poo decided to instead force Goldberg to pretty much earn everything and instead of letting Goldberg hit bit power moves on him, tried his best to keep the match on the ground. The WCW announcers mention that Regal was doing better against Goldberg than any other man had up to that point.

He didn't look like a chump at all but he also didn't look dominant, which he was supposed to at the time. It was nice revisionist history to act like Goldberg looked like Alex Wright against Paul Roma.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Not own thread worthy but the onion had a hilarious advice column "Ask A Man Who Bought A Wrestling Pay-Per-View That's Not Showing Up On The Screen For Some Reason"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ask-a-man-who-bought-a-wrestling-payperview-thats,18297/

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Regal was booked to go out there and get beaten easily by Goldberg but pissed off from his standing in WCW, being asked to put over Goldberg and likely being high as poo poo decided to instead force Goldberg to pretty much earn everything and instead of letting Goldberg hit bit power moves on him, tried his best to keep the match on the ground. The WCW announcers mention that Regal was doing better against Goldberg than any other man had up to that point.

He didn't look like a chump at all but he also didn't look dominant, which he was supposed to at the time. It was nice revisionist history to act like Goldberg looked like Alex Wright against Paul Roma.

I have heard resident WCW walking encyclopedia/tape library MrBling contradict this.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So during one of ECW's intro's there was a scene of Steve Corino looking pretty confrontational with Fred Durst, context?

I'd love to see Limp Bizkit get a talking to from Steve Corino.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have heard resident WCW walking encyclopedia/tape library MrBling contradict this.

Which part? The match? The match is pretty easy to find.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The only thing I've ever heard that Lone Rogue didn't mention is that Regal stiffed Goldberg a couple of times. When I watch the match, though, I can't really tell if he is.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It depends on who you want to believe really.

In his book Regal says that he was told to go out and make Goldberg look good. One of the things in this was that the match was going to be longer than the average Goldberg squash match had been up to that point. Goldberg himself freely admits that he would often get lost in matches, so naturally Regal being the veteran was guiding him through the whole thing.

It is a pretty good match, even if it has gotten this rumour attached to it that Regal got fired because of it (he didn't) and it is well worth a watch if you're a fan of either guy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

It is a pretty good match, even if it has gotten this rumour attached to it that Regal got fired because of it (he didn't) and it is well worth a watch if you're a fan of either guy.

What was he fired for then? I always recalled he was fired for it. What did Regal claim it was for?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Doing drugs and pissing on stewardesses, although not necessarily in that order.

I'm sure the match didn't really help, but as far as Regal is concerned he just did as he was told there.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Moose Bigelow posted:

Not own thread worthy but the onion had a hilarious advice column "Ask A Man Who Bought A Wrestling Pay-Per-View That's Not Showing Up On The Screen For Some Reason"

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ask-a-man-who-bought-a-wrestling-payperview-thats,18297/

I love these. My favorite is "Ask a Faulknerian Idiot Manchild"

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Moose Bigelow posted:

They do all that research to make it sound authentic, and they go and spell Shawn Michaels' first name wrong.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Sue Denim posted:

So during one of ECW's intro's there was a scene of Steve Corino looking pretty confrontational with Fred Durst, context?

I vaguely remember it being some music festival that Limp Bizkit were playing at that had a wrestling card and Corino called out Durst. I may be getting this confused with Mad Man Pondo calling out Durst under similar circumstances (the company's name in this instance was Incredibly F'n Strange Wrestling).

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lone Rogue posted:

What was he fired for then? I always recalled he was fired for it. What did Regal claim it was for?

I had always heard that the problem was that WCW told Regal "Go out there and make Goldberg look good". He took that to mean "Carry him so he at least appears like a competant wrestler from a distance", whereas WCW actually meant "Get destroyed with essentially zero offence". Which is stupid because a victory over someone who looks good makes you look better than squashing a chump, but WCW. Also I believe at this time Regal was on essentially all the drugs, which didnt help. Any or all of that could be innaccurate though.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

El Axo Grande posted:

Ahem.:colbert:

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Sue Denim posted:

I saw this on Youtube a while back,

it was ECW on TNN and they were in a venue in Florida I believe, that in the same complex had both an ECW show and a Limp Bizkit show (good lord, that would be quite the motley crew of people).

Anywho, old school steve corino is all pissed that the limp bizkit is next door and its too loud from what I remember, so he goes over there, goes on stage, yells at Limp Bizkit and the crowd and how they need to be old school, then all of a sudden, Balls Mahoney is on stage, hits Corino in the face with a chair, as does someone else, and the crowd cheers and Limp bizkit plays on.

The video is SO 90's! and its scary to see those unprotected chair shots now-a-days.

And a quick you tube search has the answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhvSJUe-DkM

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

El Axo Grande posted:

It took me way, way longer to get this than it should have.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrBling posted:

Doing drugs and pissing on stewardesses, although not necessarily in that order.

Specifically, relentless, non-stop drinking (hence the pissing on the stewardess thing; that was the incident that got him fired by WCW), which is also what got him fired from the WWF in 1999 -- he asked for and got time off for his health, so he was taken off the road and he went into treatment, but he started drinking while in treatment, so Vince cut ties with him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What are some great Ladder type matches from any company that aren't on the Ladder Match DVD set?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

What are some great Ladder type matches from any company that aren't on the Ladder Match DVD set?

Steen/Generico vs. Briscos in the Ladder War (has the added bonus of the post-match debut of Age of the Fall)

MitB 2008 is my personal favourite of the MitBs

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Vin Gerard vs Jimmy Olsen was great, can't remember what show it was though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
American Wolves vs. Steen & Generico from ROH Glory By Honor 8 was great

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Douglas Williams and Jeremy Buck has a good ladder match during the summer on a TNA Impact.
edit : It's the 2010-07-08 Impact

savinhill fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 25, 2010

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Vin Gerard vs Jimmy Olsen was great, can't remember what show it was though.

Revelation X (image shamelessly stolen from Gavok's excellent article on CHIKARA covers at http://www.4thletter.net/2009/05/the-chikara-comic-to-dvd-cover-gallery/)

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for the responces guys.

Does anyone know if there is any bad blood backstage in TNA left over from WCW days? Everytime I hear of the various people associated with TNA the list is filled with people whom I thought would never have anything to do with eachother again professionally after some of the stuff thatr happened in WCW ie Flair and Russo...

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into things, but most of Russo's New Blood run in WCFW pretty much seemed as if he was usuing his professional position to attack people very personally, very publically.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
In the WWE high-flyers commercial, someone (looks like HBK) is standing atop a very high ladder about to jump on someone with a garbage can over his head laying on a table. Who was in the garbage can and what show was it?

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

DannoMack posted:

In the WWE high-flyers commercial, someone (looks like HBK) is standing atop a very high ladder about to jump on someone with a garbage can over his head laying on a table. Who was in the garbage can and what show was it?

sounds like HBK vs Vince from Wrestlemania 22

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

DannoMack posted:

Vince McMaho, No Holds Barred Match at WrestleMania 22.

Sue Denim posted:

Thanks for the responces guys.

Does anyone know if there is any bad blood backstage in TNA left over from WCW days? Everytime I hear of the various people associated with TNA the list is filled with people whom I thought would never have anything to do with eachother again professionally after some of the stuff thatr happened in WCW ie Flair and Russo...

Maybe I'm reading too deeply into things, but most of Russo's New Blood run in WCFW pretty much seemed as if he was usuing his professional position to attack people very personally, very publically.
It's been a few years, so there was lot of time for things to blow over. Also, Money. Especially for a near-broke guy like Flair.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some of the wrestling autobiographies have been exposed as being mostly ghostwritten, with the wrestler only really telling stories to a writer who then makes it a book.

Has it come out whether Eddie Guerrero's "Cheating Death, Stealing Life" was more him or a ghostwriter? Which ones are especially bad for being obviously ghostwritten? And, aside from Mick Foley's books and DDP's book, which ones are especially interesting, and obviously by the wrestler?

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

rotinaj posted:

And, aside from Mick Foley's books and DDP's book, which ones are especially interesting, and obviously by the wrestler?
You're missing out if you don't read any book by Jericho.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wojtek posted:

You're missing out if you don't read any book by Jericho.

I forgot, but I did read the Lion's Tale. I need to get his new one.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Bret Hart's book is just as good as Mick Foley's first one. The difference is, Mick's book makes him come across as really likable and cool, while Bret's makes him seem like an rear end in a top hat a lot of the time. Still a great read though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TL posted:

Bret Hart's book is just as good as Mick Foley's first one. The difference is, Mick's book makes him come across as really likable and cool, while Bret's makes him seem like an rear end in a top hat a lot of the time. Still a great read though.

That's what makes Bret's book feel more honest to me. I always suspected something was toned down about Foley. I was wrong, he is a nice guy, just a complete whore for money and celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lone Rogue posted:

That's what makes Bret's book feel more honest to me. I always suspected something was toned down about Foley. I was wrong, he is a nice guy, just a complete whore for money and celebrity.

Name me a wrestler who isn't.