Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

I've always loved Milton Jones since I saw him live, once, years ago, for about 5 minutes, and I think he's consistently really good on Mock the Week as well.

That man works hard. There are a LOT of episodes of The Very World of Milton Jones.

Tsaedje posted:

He was on one podcast or another and told an anecdote about himself and Harry Hill before a gig. Hill, who used to be a GP before he went into comedy, told Jupitus "if you want to see your little daughters growing up you should probably think about losing some weight". Jupitus gave the impression that he thought that was out of order.

I heard that. I think it was on Robin Ince & Josie Long's Utter Shambles, which is an excellent podcast. I don't think Jupitus thought it was out of order, he's pretty loving blunt with himself about being a fat gently caress. If you listen to the Perfect 10, he's constantly on diets and usually off alcohol too.

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

slotbadger posted:

I heard that. I think it was on Robin Ince & Josie Long's Utter Shambles, which is an excellent podcast. I don't think Jupitus thought it was out of order, he's pretty loving blunt with himself about being a fat gently caress. If you listen to the Perfect 10, he's constantly on diets and usually off alcohol too.

I think it was a recent QI, with the question about the "baseline specimen" of humanity that he said his body type was "a duvet stuffed with meat".

I've never had a problem with him, I liked him on Buzzcocks when I was still watching it and his contributions to panel shows. I think I've only seen him do actual standup on "We Know Where You Live, Live!" when he did a good bit about who should have been Obi Wan in the Star Wars prequels.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
This looks familiar:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/21/ew-exclusive-skins-trailer/

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

slotbadger posted:

I think it was either on Buzzcocks or QI when he recounted being on "Casualty" playing a heart attack victim. At one point between takes he joked, "well this will be good practice for when the real one comes," and the medical consultant on the set looked up from his copy of The Lancet and said, "you're not wrong there, mate."

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

cloudchamber posted:

This looks familiar:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/21/ew-exclusive-skins-trailer/

That was really weird. It looked like a 'real' portrayal of actual American kids, even though it's apparently a shot for shot remake of what is an (at times) surreal British life.

I can't wait for that kid to get hit by a bus.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I'm not really a fan of Buzzcocks for reasons people have given here, but a friend of mine got tickets to the third show in this series so I went. The special guests were Jedward. What followed blew my mind and I'm very interested to see how it comes out for the 28 minute cut.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not really a fan of Buzzcocks for reasons people have given here, but a friend of mine got tickets to the third show in this series so I went. The special guests were Jedward. What followed blew my mind and I'm very interested to see how it comes out for the 28 minute cut.

Good God, if I were in a 100 meter vicinity of those two cunts I would try to swing for them. Seriously.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Fat Turkey posted:

Spill the beans, drat you :argh:

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

SeanBeansShako posted:

I never knew Harry Hill was a Doctor.

“Harry Hill encapsulates everything wrong with British society. What signals is he sending out to his big white shirt and large NHS spectacles? Fooling about, a qualified doctor needed by everybody.” - Mark E. Smith

This week I have been enjoying A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. You can tell he's quite passionate about the subject with the added bonus that most of the surviving actors from films like Frankenstein are now both scarier and less realistic looking than the monsters in the movies they were in.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

justcola posted:

“Harry Hill encapsulates everything wrong with British society. What signals is he sending out to his big white shirt and large NHS spectacles? Fooling about, a qualified doctor needed by everybody.” - Mark E. Smith

loving self-determination! :argh:

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2010

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

That's not the edit button. That's not the edit button at all!

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 23, 2010

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

justcola posted:

This week I have been enjoying A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. You can tell he's quite passionate about the subject with the added bonus that most of the surviving actors from films like Frankenstein are now both scarier and less realistic looking than the monsters in the movies they were in.

He steered away for Bela Lugosi's heroin habit for the first part. And his involvement with Ed Wood at the end of his career. 'Ed Wood' is a Tim Burton film that I really do love. I don't usually like his stuff. Worth watching if you want to find out more about the end of Bela's life.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Just been watching the second-division game on BBC2, and I can't help noticing that Sky's non-league converage has better production values. It's like they've given the camera to some random drunk in the crowd.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

pisshead posted:

Just been watching the second-division game on BBC2, and I can't help noticing that Sky's non-league converage has better production values. It's like they've given the camera to some random drunk in the crowd.
makes it a more authentic viewing experience

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Spill the beans, drat you :argh:

I heard Jack Dee drove them to tears by ripping the poo poo out of them mercilessly.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

thebardyspoon posted:

I heard Jack Dee drove them to tears by ripping the poo poo out of them mercilessly.

loving awesome. Just another reason to love Jack Dee.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Jack Dee certainly has won himself some new respect in my book. I'd love to see the look of the face of those idiots agent too.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

justcola posted:

A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. You can tell he's quite passionate about the subject with the added bonus that most of the surviving actors from films like Frankenstein are now both scarier and less realistic looking than the monsters in the movies they were in.

I've been enjoying this too. Last ep on monday, though it seems like it'll linger on the iplayer for a while. I rather like documentaries made by known celebrities when they REALLY know the subject and have a genuine warmth and enthusiasm. Joannah Lumley should do something about the history of the Gurkahs.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tv/842622-jedward-near-tears-after-jack-dee-ribbing
Here we go!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

I love Jack Dee. Bet it'll be watered down in the edit (though I hope it isn't).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Is nobody watching Pillars of Earth? It's on Channel 4 on a Saturday, and it's based on a book about The Anarchy.
It's one of my favourite periods of history and plus it has Ian Mcshane in. How can you possibly go wrong?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It has a fair amount of cheese, and the ginger one is deformed, but other than that it is pretty good.

grim`
May 6, 2004

there's no lies to the game of eyes
I caught Pillars on Netflix a little while back. It started out awesome, but each episode after the third was harder and harder to watch. Donald Sutherland and Tony Curran were both excellent in it, though.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

thebardyspoon posted:

Apparently it wasn't that bad.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Yesterday I watched the weirdest My Family's Crazy Gap Year. The guy was going to sail the Atlantic with his wife and child. I got three quarters of the way through it before I was interrupted and he still hadn't set sail and I'm pretty sure he had destroyed his marriage and spent all his money.

Also at one point he built a flamethrower in case of pirates.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Phoon posted:

Yesterday I watched the weirdest My Family's Crazy Gap Year. The guy was going to sail the Atlantic with his wife and child. I got three quarters of the way through it before I was interrupted and he still hadn't set sail and I'm pretty sure he had destroyed his marriage and spent all his money.

Also at one point he built a flamethrower in case of pirates.

Remember when that show was about a frustrated middle aged dentist having a mid life crisis?

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Figaro posted:

I wouldn't mind but Phil Jupitus does little to justify his massive bulk. I can't remember last I laughed at anything he said.

Is he still going on about tomatoes on toast on twitter? I used to follow his feed as it was semi-interesting but then he decided he was going to try/review every combination of tomatoes (fresh, tinned, whatever) and bread known to man and send an update with each one. About a week later, after numerous messages and a meltdown about people who left because they weren't interested I stopped following him.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Remember when that show was about a frustrated middle aged dentist having a mid life crisis?

I saw the one about the family planning to drive from South Africa to Egypt and they got about 2-3 days of actual travelling in before the absolutely stupidity of their plan set in when they flipped their jeep. They spent a few weeks at a school, had an awkward encounter with some tribal folk and then broken down again. After that they said gently caress it and quit. It seems like grand failure is part of the show.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

thebardyspoon posted:

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Apparently it wasn't that bad.
Higson is completely right here. The article the other guy posted from the Metro headlines that they were nearly in tears...no they weren't (at least, not during the hours of filming), they either took each insult straight to the face and moved on, or simply didn't understand it and moved on.

When I went I didn't know they'd be on it, and when I saw they were I thought I'd have to be prepared for how annoying they would be. And they were very very annoying. And the guests went from gently mocking them to heavily ripping them, to the point where Dee calls them special needs versions of eachother (and cunts at one point too I think). There was a general level of disbelief about how...air-headed the pair were.

But if anything, Fielding started becoming very protective of them, and even Jupitus starts being friendly with them as the show went on. Everyone just kind of realised, these are two young, excitable boys from Ireland who want to sing and be on TV, and that's it. The 'problem' was they had boring anecdotes, loved talking and couldn't follow the train of conversation; so they shouldn't be on Buzzcocks. Annoying yes, but nothing malicious. Being cruel to them directly just started feeling harsh. I never want to see them ever again, but I can't feel too strongly against a couple of kids who mean no harm.

It's really funny stuff though, I'm looking forward to it.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 25, 2010

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!
Both The Quartermass Experiment and Sin City are on iPlayer at the moment. Also, Dawn of the Dead on tonight and will be available on iPlayer after.

I barely buy DVDs anymore!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
ffff, what is the music playing on Masterchef right now? for iplayer folk, the last pro chef in tonights final, "the Dining Room", about 44-45 minutes in. Sounds like it might be Philip Glass? or maybe not? lots of arpeggios, repeated motifs, quite minimalist

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Fatkraken posted:

ffff, what is the music playing on Masterchef right now? for iplayer folk, the last pro chef in tonights final, "the Dining Room", about 44-45 minutes in. Sounds like it might be Philip Glass? or maybe not? lots of arpeggios, repeated motifs, quite minimalist

I think it's The Grid, or possibly Pruit Igoe from the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack.

I cant rhyme
Aug 19, 2007
Just randomly decided to watch BBC 4 and have found that Getting On is a brilliant dark comedy. Seriously, if you haven't seen it yet, you definitely should.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Is that a new series? The first one was excellent and I was hoping they would bring it back for another.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I think it's The Grid, or possibly Pruit Igoe from the Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack.

It's definitely Pruit Igoe (also used to fantastic effect in the recent Watchmen movie)

Nice to hear a bit of Philip Glass on mainstream telly.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
What was the name of that programme in BBC3 with the blonde girl and the gay friend who were trying to be famous even though they lived in some rural place. I take it was mercifully cancelled?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry to dig this up from a few pages ago...

marktheando posted:

I've heard America doesn't have them. So that would explain why American celebrities always look lost when they appear.

Funnily enough, they tried to do a version of Have I Got News For You about this time last year for NBC, but it (unsurprisingly) never got picked up - http://www.theblacklistnyc.com/gotnews I never got the impression that Michael Ian Black or (the sadly recently departed) Greg Giraldo were particularly political, but I can imagine it have being funny. On NBC? I just couldn't see it gaining an audience.

I'm split 50/50 on Americans doing panel shows... I completely agree with you as how how lost even sharp comics look when they come over and do Buzzcocks or similar. I'll tend to watch specifically for them, and see them get a few words out the entire episode and not really get the references going around. It's a shame, because it's a format we do well but with, generally, terrible guests. With the right mix of both American and British people (e.g. it was evident for a long time that Peter Serafinowicz and Will Arnett got along even before Running Wilde, and it extends beyond those guys) and a British production for BBC2,4 or C4 there could be a really good show created. Other than that, I think it's a format that's dead on it's arse the way it's going.

I can't see it working on any of the American networks due to censorship, even Comedy Central who'll run things with bleeps but make everything too glossy. IFC, HBO, Showtime etc could develop something watchable under extremely low budgets and it could work, however.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Irisi posted:

It's definitely Pruit Igoe (also used to fantastic effect in the recent Watchmen movie)

Nice to hear a bit of Philip Glass on mainstream telly.

you guys are awesome

You don't know if this was used in Candyman do you? That's what made me think it was Glass in the first place. If not this piece, his candyman score definitely has some similarities.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

What was the name of that programme in BBC3 with the blonde girl and the gay friend who were trying to be famous even though they lived in some rural place. I take it was mercifully cancelled?

"the gemma factor" a piece of shite flung at the televisual wall that didnt stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wow, Jo Brand has evolved into everyones Nan.