Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Twatty Seahag posted:

Do any of you knit for babies? I want to make some outfits (I'm due 1/18) and a lot of the moms I know use wool, but I'm worried about how it will feel on her skin and honestly how it will hold up considering I'll have to wash it 1,000 times. Any yarn recommendations or anything specific you've found to be awful?

My mum knits baby clothes out of Sirdar Baby Bamboo. It comes in pretty colours and is very soft, but it's not super cheap so I'd use it for something a bit nicer on a slightly older baby, like a little jacket style cardigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
A question about the weight (mass I guess, actually) on labels. I know it says 100gr = 120 yards or whatever...that IS what it means, right? So 60 yards will be 50 grams?

I ask because I think I'm going to start making hats to sell, and I want to price it right, and figure out how many I can get out of one skein.

Etsy link and all that once I get settled and have some stock.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Fooley posted:

A question about the weight (mass I guess, actually) on labels. I know it says 100gr = 120 yards or whatever...that IS what it means, right? So 60 yards will be 50 grams?

I ask because I think I'm going to start making hats to sell, and I want to price it right, and figure out how many I can get out of one skein.

Etsy link and all that once I get settled and have some stock.

That's exactly what it means. That's measured at a set temperature with a set moisture content, so it's possible that when you weigh it it'll be a little different.

For example: I need 3.5 ounces / 100 grams to make a pair of socks. This weight is set; it won't matter how many yards that is, since a worsted weight requires bigger needles, so will still make one pair of socks.

I'm a huge fan of knowing many grams/ounces I need instead of yardage, since sometimes a DK weight has the perfect colour to match a sock yarn, and I want to use them together.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks for the advice. Since the main thing I'm making is a layette, she'll probably only fit into it for a couple weeks anyway! Yeah, and one of the soaker patterns I'm looking at has Noro suggested. I can't imagine knitting something specifically for my baby to piss on out of Noro.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Twatty Seahag posted:

Thanks for the advice. Since the main thing I'm making is a layette, she'll probably only fit into it for a couple weeks anyway! Yeah, and one of the soaker patterns I'm looking at has Noro suggested. I can't imagine knitting something specifically for my baby to piss on out of Noro.

Good God! I'm not terribly familiar with soakers (I mean, I know what they are but I've never had a baby/cared for a baby that had one) - they don't go right next to the skin, do they? Because AHHHH noro on poor baby's rear end. :(

Congratulations by the way. :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Good God! I'm not terribly familiar with soakers (I mean, I know what they are but I've never had a baby/cared for a baby that had one) - they don't go right next to the skin, do they? Because AHHHH noro on poor baby's rear end. :(

No, you use them if you cloth diaper your baby. It goes on over the cloth diaper.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fionnoula posted:

No, you use them if you cloth diaper your baby. It goes on over the cloth diaper.

Still, if the soakers job is to 'soak' up whatever the cloth diaper doesn't...I still wouldn't use noro :gonk:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Still, if the soakers job is to 'soak' up whatever the cloth diaper doesn't...I still wouldn't use noro :gonk:

Oh definitely. Just, on top of that putting it right on a baby's butt has got to be in violation of the Geneva convention somehow.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
By the way, I'm so excited. I joined a new meetup group last week and went to my first meet last night. I was a little worried because it's a "craft" group, not a knitting group. But anyway, it was awesome...there were 8 women there and they were all in their late 20s, early 30s. It was so great to have nice normal conversations with a bunch of other whippersnappers! Plus, most of them were knitters and crocheters.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Twatty Seahag posted:

I made a Noro soaker when I was pregnant. It made her itch so bad I never got to use it. Have you ever used Peace Fleece? That's a pretty good soaker yarn.

If you can find a good deal on Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Baby yarn, I highly recommend it. I made an outfit from it and it was soft, nice to knit with, and easy to care for. It doesn't come in the most exciting colors, though.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
My friend who just had her baby made all her soakers out of Cascade Eco.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
Well something you need to be mindful of is that wool might irritate the babies skin, so its generally safer to use a nice acrylic/tencel mixture. Also this means it should be eaiser to wash then a pure wool blend.
From experience, I knitted a small blanket out of Patons Zhivago and it comes in some really nice colours/ doesn't contain anything that might irritate. And apparently once it was washed it became really soft and fluffy :3
Also Congrats!

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Spiteful posted:

Well something you need to be mindful of is that wool might irritate the babies skin, so its generally safer to use a nice acrylic/tencel mixture. Also this means it should be eaiser to wash then a pure wool blend.
From experience, I knitted a small blanket out of Patons Zhivago and it comes in some really nice colours/ doesn't contain anything that might irritate. And apparently once it was washed it became really soft and fluffy :3
Also Congrats!

Yeah, for clothes maybe, but you can't use anything but wool (with maybe a touch of mohair or alpaca) for soakers. A synthetic blend wouldn't work.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009

Aardvarklet posted:

Yeah, for clothes maybe, but you can't use anything but wool (with maybe a touch of mohair or alpaca) for soakers. A synthetic blend wouldn't work.

True, but wouldn't cotton be a good alternative? I've even seen pre-knitted soakers in hemp. But then again i'm neurotic when knitting for babies :p

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm going on a yarn splurge this weekend!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Just finished my La Joie du Printemps mittens. I'm really quite pleased with how they turned out. The red/brown/variegated is Malabrigo (that stuff is so nice to knit with, first time I've done so) and the white is Jezebel from SWTC.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Did I mention these are super cozy?

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
I'm a bit of an inexperienced knitter....so of course I have decided to knit Christmas gifts for my whole huge-rear end Irish Catholic family..:downs:

Any who...I am trying to knit this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamond-hand-wristwarmers

Its all going well, but I keep getting holes when I try a YO. I checked the gauge before starting so that's not the issue. The only thing I can think is that I'm doing the stitch wrong, but I can't figure out my problem...

Anyone have any hints for YO in continental style?

Edit: Looked up some youtube videos and realized that a YO is suppose to create a hole, it just doesn't look like it in the pictures of the finished product...told you I was inexperienced....

SquirrelFace fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 23, 2010

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

SquirrelFace posted:

I'm a bit of an inexperienced knitter....so of course I have decided to knit Christmas gifts for my whole huge-rear end Irish Catholic family..:downs:

Any who...I am trying to knit this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/diamond-hand-wristwarmers

Its all going well, but I keep getting holes when I try a YO. I checked the gauge before starting so that's not the issue. The only thing I can think is that I'm doing the stitch wrong, but I can't figure out my problem...

Anyone have any hints for YO in continental style?

But... yarn overs are supposed to give you holes? :confused: If you look at this one, you can see how the holes mark the outside of the diamond pattern. :)

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Phishi posted:

But... yarn overs are supposed to give you holes? :confused: If you look at this one, you can see how the holes mark the outside of the diamond pattern. :)

Yep...realize that now...cause I'm dumb...but thanks for answering my dumb question anyway!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

Just finished my La Joie du Printemps mittens. I'm really quite pleased with how they turned out. The red/brown/variegated is Malabrigo (that stuff is so nice to knit with, first time I've done so) and the white is Jezebel from SWTC.

Those are loving gorgeous!

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Omg those mittens rock.

Finally finished my socks!

And I also knocked out a skirt while I was at it (modeled by my friend, whose coloring more suited for it):

I really want to knit more Louisa Harding designs now, since she has a good knack for getting the fit just right. The waist is pure cabling so it cinches nicely, and then she incorporates lace to give it a nice flare.

Sadly halfway through my sockweight colorworked mitten it dawned on me that the colors were just not working out:

Seriously, what was I thinking?

We got an advance copy of the new SnB book, and once again I have to knit to a deadline before our event, this time with Dr. Stoller herself. I've got more time now, about 2.5 weeks, so naturally I'm going for a shaped top in a sportweight yarn. Why do I hate myself so much?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

FelicityGS posted:

Awesome job! Those look like a lot of fun to knit. How long did it take you? I don't suppose the pattern is freely available?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Awesome job! Those look like a lot of fun to knit. How long did it take you? I don't suppose the pattern is freely available?

If you click through there's a link to the pattern. 5bux, not bad I guess.

Two things. Is there any good pattern design software, preferably something that will give me a chart? And I think I'm going to shelve the sweater I've been working on, and tackle this bad boy....why do I start a bunch of things at once?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's about $5, which I'm ok with. I'm already thinking of making some for a grandmother for Christmas--but I freely admit I total art noveau freak, and the design on these is very inspired by that.

I think it took me about 2 week, just taking them to one or two classes and knitting them here or there.

Drei Those socks are the coolest.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Finished today, just in time for fall! Noro Taiyo in #5 and #3.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

That is gorgeous! Man, I wish Noro yarn wasn't so scratchy and was still that great with the colours.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

FelicityGS posted:

That is gorgeous! Man, I wish Noro yarn wasn't so scratchy and was still that great with the colours.

Taiyo is mostly cotton, so it isn't scratchy at all :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sex Hobbit posted:

This reminds me. I have a large stash of noro silently mocking me. Guess I better make something awesome out of it. :ohdear:

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
Lanesplitter has been the only thing that has ever tempted me onto the Noro bandwagon.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Tatiana posted:

Lanesplitter has been the only thing that has ever tempted me onto the Noro bandwagon.

OOOH. *queues*

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Does anyone have a good pattern for a mobius scarf/cowl using Super Bulky yarn?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Oh my god I want those SO BAD.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

I don't know if it'll work for super bulky, but I made this for my mom for christmas and it came out pretty awesome.

http://www.catbordhi.com/documents/CashmereCowl.pdf

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

That thing I sent posted:

I don't know if it'll work for super bulky, but I made this for my mom for christmas and it came out pretty awesome.

http://www.catbordhi.com/documents/CashmereCowl.pdf

I keep finding awesome patterns in WW/Bulky yarn, but the yarn my Mom picked out is super bulky. I'm hoping to find something better than "knit a length of garter stitch, sew together".

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marian-2

Took me two hours to knit.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Sex Hobbit posted:

I love the Noro striped scarves, and I was all set to knit one. Then I actually read over the pattern while I was in the yarn store to buy the yarn and realized it was entirely made of ribbing. I put the Noro back on the shelf because gently caress knitting nothing but ribbing for the next week or two.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Mnemosyne posted:

I love the Noro striped scarves, and I was all set to knit one. Then I actually read over the pattern while I was in the yarn store to buy the yarn and realized it was entirely made of ribbing. I put the Noro back on the shelf because gently caress knitting nothing but ribbing for the next week or two.

You could knit it double width in plain stocking stitch (knit 1 row, purl 1 row) and then sew the wrong sides together and block it to stop it curling. It would be double thickness but also double price (boo).

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
You could do it in any stitch pattern that doesn't curl, or hell - do it in stockinette if curling doesn't bother you (I really can't understand how curling doesn't bother people, it makes me go loving nuts).

Of cousre, any stitch pattern that doesn't curl is going to involve switching between knit and purl repeatedly, so I guess if that's what you don't like about doing ribbing well.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

You could do it in any stitch pattern that doesn't curl, or hell - do it in stockinette if curling doesn't bother you (I really can't understand how curling doesn't bother people, it makes me go loving nuts).

Of cousre, any stitch pattern that doesn't curl is going to involve switching between knit and purl repeatedly, so I guess if that's what you don't like about doing ribbing well.

I don't mind switching for each row, but switching every few stitches is annoying as crap, and really boring. I don't know if this is true, but it seems like switching between knit and purl is slower if you knit Continental style, which is how I knit. I see English style knitters switching much faster.

EDIT: I'm also still a knitting noob, since I have only finished two projects and maybe 3 or 4 swatches. I am, therefore, still a pretty slow knitter, and ribbing makes me about 5 times slower.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

I'm the opposite way. Switching between knit and purl, and slipping stuff to cable is the only thing that keeps me interested in long projects.